[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Outworked  (Read 2421 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Outworked
« on: January 06, 2024, 01:01:23 PM »
Didn’t happen much last year. Has a few times this year.

Need Kolek to find his game again. If he doesn’t, we aren’t going very far.

Need to use the transfer portal. Best way to add contributors in today’s day and age. Just handcuffing yourself if you don’t. Shaka’s best players at MU have been transfers and Wojo holdovers.

Not as good of a team as last year. Road games in the BE are tough. Have to show up or you’ll get picked off unless you’re playing Georgetown or DePaul.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 01:06:05 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GoldenEagles03

• All American
Re: Outworked
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2024, 01:19:42 PM »
Didn’t happen much last year. Has a few times this year.

Need Kolek to find his game again. If he doesn’t, we aren’t going very far.

Need to use the transfer portal. Best way to add contributors in today’s day and age. Just handcuffing yourself if you don’t. Shaka’s best players at MU have been transfers and Wojo holdovers.

Not as good of a team as last year. Road games in the BE are tough. Have to show up or you’ll get picked off unless you’re playing Georgetown or DePaul.

Oso and Sean Jones have been their best players the last 2 games, Kam and Joplin are their best shooters and natural scorers.

They don't have to use the portal.
VIOLENCE!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2024, 04:04:58 PM »
wades

I said after Maui that it seemed like March to me and I am sure to the players as well. Since the start of BE play last year MU made has 6-7 easy games out 35 and about a dozen very tough games and that is tiring. What I am seeing is a veteran team that is not playing at 110% every minute of every game like the previous two years. I thought they played the end in the regular season and BET like if was the biggest game of their lives and it took a toll, imo.

I don’t think they are so good that they can sleepwalk and expect to win, but I think there is a sign of veteran team that does not feel every regular season game is a must win.

Imo, when they played they best competition they were up to the task and played well. When they played teams that they probably should beat 6-7 out of ten, not so great. I would prefer the win but today was not a must win for this fan.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2024, 06:04:40 PM »
So, regardless of the reasons why, your analysis is that they are not giving their full effort?

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2024, 06:11:27 PM »
It's a long season, and the BE is a tough league, especially on the road. Other than DePaul and Georgetown, there are no easy wins this year. StJ is a lot better this year as is SH, Butler, etc. And every team and every coach has MU in their sights. That has to take a toll on a team.  And, being without Stevie for four games, now without Chase for some period of time, and with the freshmen not being ready to play meaningful minutes are all obstacles last year's team did not have to overcome. Last season is gone. This is a new, different, and harder season.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2024, 06:12:59 PM »
This team was not efficient and effective today, but they never quit.  Down 10. With 2 and change left. They hustled and got it within three.  That’s effort to the max.   They missed shots today and that did them in.  Not hustle.  They hustled.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2024, 06:42:42 PM »
It's a long season, and the BE is a tough league, especially on the road. Other than DePaul and Georgetown, there are no easy wins this year. StJ is a lot better this year as is SH, Butler, etc. And every team and every coach has MU in their sights. That has to take a toll on a team.  And, being without Stevie for four games, now without Chase for some period of time, and with the freshmen not being ready to play meaningful minutes are all obstacles last year's team did not have to overcome. Last season is gone. This is a new, different, and harder season.
boo hoo it’s so hard :(
No offense but come on man. This is a veteran team that needs to act like a top ten squad. Step it up. They are better than this

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2024, 06:49:19 PM »
No offense but come on man. This is a veteran team that needs to act like a top ten squad. Step it up. They are better than this

Yep. We can rationalize away these road performances, but it's time to step it up.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2024, 08:30:24 PM »
I don't think anybody would debate that several of the guys didn't play well today and that we didn't shoot well.

Lack of effort? I didn't see that. If somebody wants to name a few specific times our guys didn't try hard enough, I'd like to know which situations those were.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ParksPop

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2024, 09:06:10 PM »
I don't know if this team is as good as last year's team or not. They don't look as good, but that's easy to say after a loss.

What I do know if they come in with a target on their back in a way they ever did before. Great teams are great because they both have tremendous skill AND understand what it's like to play as if you're expected to win and the other team has nothing to lose.

We simply don't have that.

Yet.

We played well with a chip on our shoulder last year. What replaced that drive?

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2024, 10:57:53 PM »
I don't know if this team is as good as last year's team or not. They don't look as good, but that's easy to say after a loss.

What I do know if they come in with a target on their back in a way they ever did before. Great teams are great because they both have tremendous skill AND understand what it's like to play as if you're expected to win and the other team has nothing to lose.

We simply don't have that.

Yet.

We played well with a chip on our shoulder last year. What replaced that drive?

Same record as last year through 15 games with better wins.
VIOLENCE!

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2024, 03:19:48 AM »
Don't think we played badly, don't think we were outworked, we were just beaten.

Face it, this team is lust ast year's team minus O-Max, an NBA player.  We aren't as good.  We were at our strongest early in the season because we did not have to gel since we did not introduce any new players to the mix. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2024, 11:57:54 AM »
Once again. Getting completely outworked. 25-14 on the glass, with Soriano only playing 11 minutes.

That combined with 0 points outside of the paint, including at the free throw line, and this team is in big trouble.

I’ll say it again. The two faces of continuity and getting old and staying old are disappointing. Shaka is handcuffing himself by refusing to hit the portal. The easiest way to get yourself guaranteed contributors and you’re just ignoring it. SHU and SJU have a ton of transfers and are better than expected. You had one hole in your lineup and you decided to just make Jop feel good by believing in him.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2024, 12:59:22 PM »
I hate it when they shut it down too early.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2024, 01:06:19 PM »
This is why you need a reliable bench.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2024, 01:06:51 PM »
Soft, entitled team

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2024, 01:07:21 PM »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2024, 01:11:11 PM »
This aged well
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2024, 01:15:31 PM »
This aged well

Did it really? That was horrendous.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2024, 01:16:04 PM »
Beating a Pitino team on their floor?   C'mon, man.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2024, 01:16:50 PM »

Yes. This was a big win 8n lots of ways for Marquette.   Big. 

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2024, 01:19:49 PM »

I really think a lot of people are giving pitino to much credit.

This is still not a great st johns team.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2024, 01:20:28 PM »
3s fell in the second half and defense held
Huge win and a confidence builder

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2024, 01:24:30 PM »
I really think a lot of people are giving pitino to much credit.

This is still not a great st johns team.

They've been tough to beat at home, and Ken Pom had the game forecast to be 78-77 MU win, so a blowout wasn't to be expected.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2024, 01:27:11 PM »
They've been tough to beat at home, and Ken Pom had the game forecast to be 78-77 MU win, so a blowout wasn't to be expected.

But the only reason it wasn't was because of marquette. St johns didn't do anything to win the game.

Marquette was historically horrendous from beyond the paint in the 1st half. Marquette wasn't rebounding. Marquette was making stupid fouls. Marquette was throwing the ball away in the last 4 minutes of the game.

It all went on how poorly Marquette played today.

feedback