[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Court Rushing... a new low?  (Read 3671 times)

drewm88

• All American
Court Rushing... a new low?
« on: March 21, 2007, 09:59:25 PM »
Air Force just rushed after beating DePaul in the NIT quarterfinals.
They just showed a shot of students screaming "number 1" into the camera.
I'm all for celebrations, especially by students, but really? In the NIT?

In case you haven't been following the NIT, WV is in the semis. DePaul and Syracuse were each a shot away from making it as well tonight. Not a bad BE showing.

Coobeys Oil Depot

Re: Court Rushing... a new low?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 10:03:19 PM »
Come on, man, it's the Air Force. This is huge for them. Not only to get on ESPN for a game but now they get to see their team play in MSG. NYC is a big deal.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 10:14:45 PM »
Ahhh, correct me if I am wrong Sammy, but don't I recall a certain group of fans rushing the court at a certain Arena in the mid 1990's after an NIT win to go to NY?

Didn't a certain, Roney Eford dance on the scorer's table with "New York, New York" playing on the loudspeaker.  Granted it was during the dreaded "D----" years!

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 10:46:32 PM »
Ahhh, correct me if I am wrong Sammy, but don't I recall a certain group of fans rushing the court at a certain Arena in the mid 1990's after an NIT win to go to NY?

Didn't a certain, Roney Eford dance on the scorer's table with "New York, New York" playing on the loudspeaker.  Granted it was during the dreaded "D----" years!

I was on the court that fine 1995 evening...NY, NY blaring thru the Mecca and then off to the 'Lanche where somebody showed up with the NIT sticker from the floor.

That's best part of my college career...my "worst" year of MU hoops was a NIT runner up...The mid 90's were a good time to be a MU fan.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 01:31:21 AM »
I was on the court that fine 1995 evening...NY, NY blaring thru the Mecca and then off to the 'Lanche where somebody showed up with the NIT sticker from the floor.

That's best part of my college career...my "worst" year of MU hoops was a NIT runner up...The mid 90's were a good time to be a MU fan.

I second that.

I turned down NYU and Boston U. for MU because they actually had a successful, major sports program.

I was initiated into the MU BKB tradition in my freshman year when we upset UK to get into the Sweet 16. "Celebration" from Kool and the Gang was blasted from my neighbor's window at O'D. Then the gathering outside The Beer Can and the run down Wisconsin. One of my favorite highlights...

Even though KO and Deane were somewhat pricks, their teams played stiffling D. Very futile O and those games were nailbiters...scores like 61-56. God, I hated them.

But even though we didn't qualify for the NCAA, seeing MU play in the NIT AND at the MECCA was always treasured. The night run down Wisconsin when we beat USF was classic. My bro was visiting on a college visit, and he picked a darn good time to do it!

But that loss to VT...and the phantom foul with sec to spare...that'll burn within me. Everytime I see a Hokie sticker on a car, it makes my blood boil a bit.
SS Marquette

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 07:40:29 AM »
I still contend that game agaisnt USF was among the most fun MU games I've ever been to. Don't know what it was exactly, but that whole NIT run was a blast. I remember getting home at about 2AM after that game and calling airlines looking for flights to New York.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 07:56:55 AM »
I still contend that game agaisnt USF was among the most fun MU games I've ever been to. Don't know what it was exactly, but that whole NIT run was a blast.

That 95 team was the type of team that the NIT is pefect for, very successful prior year, graduated 3 huge contributors, young team, new coach all getting their feet wet.  We ended up a 4 seed in 96 (Damn Arkansas) so it was the perfect springboard.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Final Four or Bust

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 08:21:21 AM »
I still contend that game agaisnt USF was among the most fun MU games I've ever been to. Don't know what it was exactly, but that whole NIT run was a blast. I remember getting home at about 2AM after that game and calling airlines looking for flights to New York.

Absolulely, I was on the court as well, and piled in the car the next day or so and drove to New York for the final.  Nice to see that a few people recognize that the program was not "down in the dumps" and in the crapper before Crean showed up.  I agree, the 90s had some very fun years to be an MU fan -- the sweet sixteen victory over Kentucky, lots of good games at the Bradley Center.  This is why I get so angry when people trash the periods before Crean.  Dukiet wasn't any good, but O'Neill was a program builder and Deane won quite a bit with his recruits before his recruiting woes caught up.  Frankly, looking at pure performance on the court if we take out 2003 the periods are pretty similar.  Yes, the student support and "buzz" around the program wasn't as high and high profile nationally, but for people who were students during that period it was a pretty fun time to be at MU.

And to be honest, I've told many people that it was more fun to win against SF and go to the NIT than it was to beat Kentucky.  Sure, the profile is not the same, but the whole student body got to attend that game at the Mecca and celebrate afterwards with the team.  Kentucky was great and amazing, but most people I know watched it at houses and bars on campus -- and then did the lake run after.  Great experience, but not the same as being there.  That is why I try to attend tourney games as much as possible as it makes it great fun (when we don't drop an egg).

Ughh. . Ace Custis.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 08:24:56 AM by Final Four or Bust »

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 09:35:09 AM »
I was on the court that night as well.  It was pandamonium in the MECCA.  I even took my padded yellow folding chair home with me as a souvenir.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 09:47:32 AM »
You need to lighten up... this was a big win for the Air Force program and they're going to New York for the semi's of the NIT.  It is a big deal for them.  Jesus... we're MU not Duke or North Carolina or Kansas - we don't need that elitist attitude.  Good for Air Force and good for their fans to show some excitement about their program rather than trying to fire their coach and b*tching about their best player.
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 11:08:54 AM »

People forget that those years were pretty decent years. My four years at MU broke down like this:

1994 - NCAA Sweet 16
1995 - NIT Runner Up
1996 - NCAA Tournament (5 seed I believe, lost on St. Patrick's Day)
1997 - NCAA Tournament (C-USA Tourney Champs)

That's a pretty decent run for what was my collegiate career.
We Are Marquette

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 11:15:33 AM »

People forget that those years were pretty decent years. My four years at MU broke down like this:

1994 - NCAA Sweet 16
1995 - NIT Runner Up
1996 - NCAA Tournament (5 seed I believe, lost on St. Patrick's Day)
1997 - NCAA Tournament (C-USA Tourney Champs)

That's a pretty decent run for what was my collegiate career.

How can that be? We haven't been able to finish above .500 or draw flies to the home games since Hank Raymonds retired.

If it wasn't for Crean, we'd be playing our home games in the Old Gym.

By the way, that 1997 run to the CUSA title was fantastic!

feedback