collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Strategic Plan  (Read 12702 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: MU Strategic Plan
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2016, 09:30:51 AM »
It is inaccurate that 85% of the undergraduates are from 100 miles from campus.  70% of the students are from Wisconsin and Illinois according to its undergraduate profile.

And the response I have is...so what?  I don't understand why Marquette has to have a more national profile than it does now.  You can call it "provincial," but its not as though the midwest is some sort of backwater. 

Why chase students down out east when Marquette can largely fill its class with quality students from the midwest?  Why does Marquette have to be more than that?  This is the problem I have with ratings and rankings in general.  There is nothing wrong with developing a niche and excelling within the niche.

I agree. I'm much less concerned about where alumni are ending up and much more concerned with the what they are doing. Are MU alums getting into leading edge careers and/or positions of leadership.

Bring in smart kids, give them a great education and a stable network to fall back on, facilitate their getting out into the world and the rest will take care of itself. If we can put all of the success stories in front of parents and potential students that will speak much more effectively than landing on a ranking list some where south of 100 but north of 20.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2016, 09:52:59 AM »
It is inaccurate that 85% of the undergraduates are from 100 miles from campus.  70% of the students are from Wisconsin and Illinois according to its undergraduate profile.

And the response I have is...so what?  I don't understand why Marquette has to have a more national profile than it does now.  You can call it "provincial," but its not as though the midwest is some sort of backwater. 

Why chase students down out east when Marquette can largely fill its class with quality students from the midwest?  Why does Marquette have to be more than that?  This is the problem I have with ratings and rankings in general.  There is nothing wrong with developing a niche and excelling within the niche.

It's something for MUFINY to brag about at cocktail parties. Admittedly, I was caught up in rankings when I started looking at schools. As I went through my search, other things became much more important. At the end of the day, Marquette helped open doors to me and helped me get to where I wanted to be. I can't ask for anything more than that.

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2016, 10:56:19 PM »

Fair Enough.  the claim that 85% of undergrads grew up within 100 miles of MKE may be a slight  exaggeration  but it's not that off.   70% from two states  is still way too high and I don't think the hundred mile claim is that inaccurate  because we all know that probably 85% of the Illinois residents come from metro Chicago which is within that radius. 

I don't believe the Midwest is some back water nor am I suggesting that MU only recruit more students from the Northeast.   I do think they should try to recruit more students from everywhere but Illinois and Wisconsin and the broader Midwest is the best place to start.   If they get more from the northeast, south and West Coast that's a bonus.  Everybody talks about how important diversity is but they only look at it in terms of racial and ethnic diversity.  Geographic diversity is hugely important and would do that institution a great deal of good. 

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've served as an alumni mentor for MU business and comm school juniors for the last five years.  i've always requested that I be paired up with a student from the metro NYC area or if that's not possible someone from Boston, Philadelphia or Washington DC  which is close enough to New York where the student can come shadow me for a day,  we can meet in person over breaks etc.   I make that request each year not because I have anything against students from other parts of the country but because I just don't feel I can be as helpful to them because I have no network there.   If a student is from Geen Bay or Kansas City and they understandably want to look for work in those places after graduation because that's where they're from I'm of no help to them whatsoever.

In any event I had a student a couple of years ago from the New York area, and she was considering the possibility of staying in MKE for the summer because so many of her friends were as well.   She was applying for internships in both MKE and the New York area and asked if I had an opinion on whether she should live in MKE for a summer or find something closer to home in New York area.  This was the summer between her junior and senior year.   My advice to her was if she wanted to stay in the Midwest for a few years after graduation  it would probably be better to find something in MKE but that if she was pretty sure she was going to move back home after graduation it would probably be better to find something in New York, but at the end of the day it's not going to make that much difference and she should accept the best opportunity that comes her way regardless of where the company is located, so it would be better to work for a namebrand company in MKE such as a Kohls or Miller or NML,  then a lesser-known organization in the New York area.   She then proceeded to tell me that she felt that made a lot of sense but that her advisor in the business school did everything he could to dissuade her from pursuing an internship in New York that summer,  despite the fact that that's where she's from and that's where her family is,  because New York is so hyper competitive and why would you want to pursue something there when you're competing with tons of other students from tons of other great schools whereas in Wisconsin students from Marquette and UW Madison of the cream of the crop,  and that she probably would have much better luck in MKE, as if there are no other college students from Wisconsin that go to college in other parts of the country and come home in the summer to pursue internships at companies in WI.   Again nothing against Wisconsin,  but you simply can't compare it to New York even Chicago,  where there are just flat out a lot more jobs and opportunities for recent college graduates. 

When she told me this, I was so exasperated I wanted to drive to her parents house immediately and tell them I cannot believe they're paying almost 50K a year for this BS advice.   Then I wanted to hop on the first plane to MKE, cab to Straz and strangle this advisor,  because the message he's giving to students and staff is that they can't compete in NYC and that is absolute nonsense!  Sure New York is competitive  and there are a lot more recent college grads or undergrads pursuing internships there, but there are also a lot more welll known companies and opportunity there in general.  I think a case can be made that the MKE market might very possibly be MORE competitive than NYC or Chicago for undergrads pursuing internships and recent grads pursuing entry level jobs at blue-chip companies there because there simply are far fewer of them in MKE.  That is an undeniable fact.   Again it's hard to make these claims without sounding like a big city elitist which I absolutely am not, and the advice I gave to this young woman I think proves that I'm not  but when I learn if academic advisors telling students not to pursue opportunities in New York because they're not good enough,  that makes my blood boil!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2016, 08:24:54 AM »
we all know that probably 85% of the Illinois residents come from metro Chicago which is within that radius. 

And what, exactly, is your source? It took exactly two clicks from Marquette's home page to find the actual numbers.  Check out page 4. It's 35-40% from Illinois, and that includes all the areas outside of Chicago.

http://marquette.edu/oira/documents/f_fre_prof_web.pdf

In any event I had a student a couple of years ago from the New York area, and she was considering the possibility of staying in MKE for the summer because so many of her friends were as well.   She was applying for internships in both MKE and the New York area and asked if I had an opinion on whether she should live in MKE for a summer or find something closer to home in New York area.  This was the summer between her junior and senior year.   My advice to her was if she wanted to stay in the Midwest for a few years after graduation  it would probably be better to find something in MKE but that if she was pretty sure she was going to move back home after graduation it would probably be better to find something in New York, but at the end of the day it's not going to make that much difference and she should accept the best opportunity that comes her way regardless of where the company is located, so it would be better to work for a namebrand company in MKE such as a Kohls or Miller or NML,  then a lesser-known organization in the New York area.   She then proceeded to tell me that she felt that made a lot of sense but that her advisor in the business school did everything he could to dissuade her from pursuing an internship in New York that summer,  despite the fact that that's where she's from and that's where her family is,  because New York is so hyper competitive and why would you want to pursue something there when you're competing with tons of other students from tons of other great schools whereas in Wisconsin students from Marquette and UW Madison of the cream of the crop,  and that she probably would have much better luck in MKE, as if there are no other college students from Wisconsin that go to college in other parts of the country and come home in the summer to pursue internships at companies in WI.   Again nothing against Wisconsin,  but you simply can't compare it to New York even Chicago,  where there are just flat out a lot more jobs and opportunities for recent college graduates. 

Two thousand new students enroll at Marquette every year, and you are going to make sweeping assumptions of Marquette's success at producing leaders based on (a) your contention that if you don't make it in New York, you will never be considered an important business leader and (b) your anecdotal experience with one student and one advisor is an accurate measure of leadership development at Marquette.
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2016, 08:31:53 AM »
Furthermore, having worked in higher education for a long time, I would really be careful about taking what an undergraduate says at face value.  Maybe the advisor knew about the quality of the internship in Milwaukee, and was pushing it because it fit her career goals?  Who knows?  I just wouldn't make those assumptions.

And Marquette's placement rating is just fine.  They get jobs in Milwaukee....Chicago...Twin Cities...New York...  My guess is that a simple poll here would find that most alumni got jobs in their field and eventually migrated to where they wanted to live. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2016, 08:46:58 AM »
Furthermore, having worked in higher education for a long time, I would really be careful about taking what an undergraduate says at face value. 

Great point, Sultan. After being a member of the Marquette Parent Facebook page for many years, I have seen many a "my kid told me [a Marquette "fact"] that was total BS. 

My most recent favorite: "My kid told me that there is no way to find out how you are doing in a particular class until final grades are posted".  Hmmmm....
Have some patience, FFS.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2016, 08:50:30 AM »
Great point, Sultan. After being a member of the Marquette Parent Facebook page for many years, I have seen many a "my kid told me [a Marquette "fact"] that was total BS. 

My most recent favorite: "My kid told me that there is no way to find out how you are doing in a particular class until final grades are posted".  Hmmmm....

Translation: I don't want mom and dad to know how I'm doing in class.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2016, 08:57:31 AM »
Translation: I don't want mom and dad to know how I'm doing in class.

Exaaaactly...

In the alternate:  My "F" in Chem is just as much of a surprise to me as it is to you!

Two of my other favorites:

"I know I am supposed to do workstudy, but I have applied everywhere and there are absolutely NO jobs available on campus!'
Translation:  I am unable to find a job that lets me sit at a desk and surf the internet.

"All the food in the dining halls is inedible and I am going to starve to death".
Translation:  They don't cook whatever I want to eat whenever I want to eat it like you used to, Mom.  Or: Just because I am a vegan, I shouldn't have to walk two blocks to the Healthy Living dining hall to get something other than a salad.
Have some patience, FFS.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2016, 09:01:41 AM »
Exaaaactly...

In the alternate:  My "F" in Chem is just as much of a surprise to me as it is to you!

Two of my other favorites:

"I know I am supposed to do workstudy, but I have applied everywhere and there are absolutely NO jobs available on campus!'
Translation:  I am unable to find a job that lets me sit at a desk and surf the internet.

"All the food in the dining halls is inedible and I am going to starve to death".
Translation:  They don't cook whatever I want to eat whenever I want to eat it like you used to, Mom.  Or: Just because I am a vegan, I shouldn't have to walk two blocks to the Healthy Living dining hall to get something other than a salad.

#Millenials

ammiright?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2016, 09:05:36 AM »
#Millenials

ammiright?

Yessir.

We have 1,000 stories.  It's truly mind numbing.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2016, 09:07:03 AM »
#Millenials

ammiright?

No.  This crap has always happened. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2016, 09:09:46 AM »
It's waaaaay worse nowadays Sultan.  Too many of these kids are literally helpless.  And it's 100% their parents fault.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2016, 09:14:27 AM »

No.  This crap has always happened.

I know, I was trying to be a little funny (very little clearly  ;D). Stupid stuff has always happened....feels like it's edging a little closer to the ridiculous of late.

Side story. I happened to be talking to a coworker in the hallway when some young professionals stopped nearby to chat and I overheard the following:

Millennial 1: So yeah we're meeting up with the sales team tonight in Buffalo Grove to discuss tomorrows meeting with the customer
Millennial 2: Oh cool, that will be good, let me know what gets decided so I can get prepared
Millennial 1: Are you doing anything tonight, why don't you come with? It would be good to have your input.
Millennial 2: I don't have anything tonight, but I was just telling Sarah that I'm feeling a little introverted today so I don't really want to meet with anyone.
Millennial 1: Ok, that's cool, I'll just text you what we come up with tonight.

If MU's strategic plan can mitigate some of that.....that would be great :)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2016, 09:15:16 AM »
It's waaaaay worse nowadays Sultan.  Too many of these kids are literally helpless.  And it's 100% their parents fault.

Eh.  I've been dealing with these guys for years and most of them are just fine. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2016, 09:19:55 AM »

Eh.  I've been dealing with these guys for years and most of them are just fine.

But the outliers are truly breathtaking.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2016, 09:21:42 AM »
I know, I was trying to be a little funny (very little clearly  ;D). Stupid stuff has always happened....feels like it's edging a little closer to the ridiculous of late.

Side story. I happened to be talking to a coworker in the hallway when some young professionals stopped nearby to chat and I overheard the following:

Millennial 1: So yeah we're meeting up with the sales team tonight in Buffalo Grove to discuss tomorrows meeting with the customer
Millennial 2: Oh cool, that will be good, let me know what gets decided so I can get prepared
Millennial 1: Are you doing anything tonight, why don't you come with? It would be good to have your input.
Millennial 2: I don't have anything tonight, but I was just telling Sarah that I'm feeling a little introverted today so I don't really want to meet with anyone.
Millennial 1: Ok, that's cool, I'll just text you what we come up with tonight.

If MU's strategic plan can mitigate some of that.....that would be great :)

You do understand Eng that many of us here consider you a 'young professional'.   ;D

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2016, 09:22:52 AM »

Heh...no doubt.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2016, 09:23:33 AM »

Just this week we had a mom post asking where her Junior son can go get a haircut.  If a 21-year-old man can't figure that out for himself, we are doomed as a society.
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2016, 09:25:53 AM »
Just this week we had a mom post asking where her Junior son can go get a haircut.  If a 21-year-old man can't figure that out for himself, we are doomed as a society.

My guess...he knows where to get a haircut.  He just doesn't want to get one.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2016, 10:01:21 AM »

My guess...he knows where to get a haircut.  He just doesn't want to get one.

I suspect you're right.  I am often as down on the millennials as some here (the terms "safe space" and "trigger" make me apoplectic), but I also think a large part of the blame is squarely on the parents.  As Sultan points out the difference in the haircut example is with the parent, not the kid.  "Back in the day" my mom would have told me, "just get your damn hair cut."  Now, the mom posts online looking for advice.  Parents who constantly baby their kids should not be surprised to learn that their kids are babies.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2016, 10:34:42 AM »

I think we actually more potential bigwigs in the pipeline than we did a generation ago.  We are enrolling smarter people and the education they are receiving is better.  What we don't have, and what we need, is a Notre-Dame type PR network.  Say what you will about Domers in other areas, but they certainly know how to take care of each other, and brag about their alma mater.

We need to instill the mindset in our alumni that if you are looking to hire, the first thing to do is to work your Marquette contacts.  Put a post on the Marquette alumni LinkedIn site, attend Marquette functions, grow your MU network,  lobby your HR department to include Marquette among its college visits for recent-grad jobs.  At work, make a big deal about the fact that you are a Marquette graduate.  Brag about their rankings in Real Estate and Supply Chain management. Tell your outside accounting firm, engineering consultant, etc., that they need to hire more Marquette grads. No outsiders are going to know how great a school Marquette is if their alums don't talk about it.

Please, please, please, everybody, do not do this.  I beg all of you to refrain from doing this.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2016, 10:52:29 AM »
Please, please, please, everybody, do not do this.  I beg all of you to refrain from doing this.

The best thing you can do to benefit your school's reputation? Perform at a high level. (Doesn't hurt to have a Marquette sign in the cube to go along with that).

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2016, 10:57:48 AM »
I suspect you're right.  I am often as down on the millennials as some here (the terms "safe space" and "trigger" make me apoplectic), but I also think a large part of the blame is squarely on the parents.  As Sultan points out the difference in the haircut example is with the parent, not the kid.  "Back in the day" my mom would have told me, "just get your damn hair cut."  Now, the mom posts online looking for advice.  Parents who constantly baby their kids should not be surprised to learn that their kids are babies.

Conversation at my house within the last six weeks about my 23 yo Son.

Wife:  He needs a haircut
Me:  He's an adult he can get a haircut when he wants.

A few minutes later after wife is texting away...

Me:  What's going on?
Wife:  I told him that if he gets a haircut, I'll pay for it.

::)

What can I do?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2016, 11:00:01 AM »
Nothin' much is gonna change 'til da endowment increases big league, ai na?

pony up doc

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2016, 11:36:35 AM »

What's wrong with that?
Have some patience, FFS.