'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bucky is here December 6  (Read 6669 times)

HutchwasClutch

• All American
Bucky is here December 6
« on: June 03, 2014, 09:15:53 PM »
Tip-off time not yet set.

Can't wait. 

Smokin' Jae

• Team Captain
Re: Bucky is here December 6
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 09:22:31 PM »
No Luke Fischer then for this game. I know there had been some speculation by people on this board that we may try to push the game back until Luke is eligible. Will be a very tough assignment for Steve Taylor going up against Kaminsky.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 09:26:32 PM »
No Luke Fischer then for this game. I know there had been some speculation by people on this board that we may try to push the game back until Luke is eligible. Will be a very tough assignment for Steve Taylor going up against Kaminsky.

Let's face it, with or without Luke playing that game, MU is going to have a very difficult time winning.  They're young, they're small, they'll be still acclimating themselves to Wojo and staff's system against a big, experienced, talented team, with a veteran coach whose players know his system inside and out.   The only thing they'll really have going that day is their athleticism and home court.  I'm not saying they won't win, anything can happen in college rivalry games, but it's not likely, especially that early in the year.  
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 09:28:12 PM by HutchwasClutch »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 09:29:13 PM »
As much as it pains me to say it, Wisconsin will be a top 10 if not top 5 team in the nation next season. Defeating them would be a huge coup
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 09:35:49 PM »
This game has always been the first or second saturday of December, depending how the days fall. I know Fischer is available after 1st semester, but when does that fall exactly? Big East play? After finals? After grades are posted? Regardless I don't think Fischer is the deciding factor here.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 09:48:00 PM »
This game has always been the first or second saturday of December, depending how the days fall. I know Fischer is available after 1st semester, but when does that fall exactly? Big East play? After finals? After grades are posted? Regardless I don't think Fischer is the deciding factor here.

I would think as soon as exams are done for the school.  So I would think no later than a week or so before Christmas he'll be playing.  I doubt they'll have any pre-Christmas conference games, so hopefully two or three good warm up games for him before the Big East season.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 09:53:10 PM by HutchwasClutch »

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 11:03:53 PM »
Finals are the next week.  So he would be eligible the next week.  Have we played Wisconsin recently at home this early in December?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 11:28:03 PM »
Finals are the next week.  So he would be eligible the next week.  Have we played Wisconsin recently at home this early in December?

Pretty much every year since 2003. They moved the game to the weekend before finals so the students will be there.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 11:41:10 PM »
Pretty much every year since 2003. They moved the game to the weekend before finals so the students will be there.

This is correct. My freshman year in 2002, IIRC was the last year that MU-Bucky at home was AFTER Finals, and it was annoying waiting around for a few days when my friends couldn't do anything because they had finals, and couldn't go home because I was staying for the game. That game was played on December 14th, effectively the third weekend in December.

Since then, it's either been played on the first or second Saturday in December.

December 11th, 2004
December 9th, 2006
December 6th, 2008
December 11th, 2010
December 8th, 2012
December 6th, 2014
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 01:20:18 AM »
Marquette should alter the academic calendar by moving finals up a couple weeks so that Fischer can play in this game. What is Wild's email address?

Death on call

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 08:28:54 AM »
Marquette should alter the academic calendar by moving finals up a couple weeks so that Fischer can play in this game. What is Wild's email address?

I heard this was the final straw that broke Buzz's back....when he went to Wild and said he needed the academic calendar altered so Fischer could be eligible for Wisconsin game - and Wild said, "Sorry Buzz, no can do," - Buzz was off to VaTech.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 09:23:19 AM »
This is correct. My freshman year in 2002, IIRC was the last year that MU-Bucky at home was AFTER Finals, and it was annoying waiting around for a few days when my friends couldn't do anything because they had finals, and couldn't go home because I was staying for the game. That game was played on December 14th, effectively the third weekend in December.

Since then, it's either been played on the first or second Saturday in December.

December 11th, 2004
December 9th, 2006
December 6th, 2008
December 11th, 2010
December 8th, 2012
December 6th, 2014
You couldn't find one drinking buddy for those few days? A damn shame, a damn shame.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 09:46:43 AM »
I heard this was the final straw that broke Buzz's back....when he went to Wild and said he needed the academic calendar altered so Fischer could be eligible for Wisconsin game - and Wild said, "Sorry Buzz, no can do," - Buzz was off to VaTech.

Actually, Buzz left when a post season dinner with Fr Wild turned ugly. The good Father had been reading Scoop that day and over cocktails questioned why Magic Dawson didn't play 30 minutes per game. Buzz politely replied that he wasn't ready. Already in his cups, Wild found Buzz's reply unacceptable. Over and over and over and over and over and over and over again Father persisted, unwilling to accept the explanation given by Marquette's most successful basketball coach in nearly 40 years.

"I want me some Dawson! I need me some Dawson!" he shrieked.

Trying to calm the situation, Buzz joked "If I didn't know better, Bob, I'd think you were accusing me of throwing games!"

"Sorry, Buzz, but that's exactly what I'm doing. My man Ners says you're in the tank!"

"Ners? Who the frack is Ners?"

"He's my guy, Buzz - ignore him at your own peril!"

"Maybe it's time for my boot heels to be wanderin'"

"Don't let the door hit ya on the way out"

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 09:55:32 AM »
Actually, Buzz left when a post season dinner with Fr Wild turned ugly. The good Father had been reading Scoop that day and over cocktails questioned why Magic Dawson didn't play 30 minutes per game. Buzz politely replied that he wasn't ready. Already in his cups, Wild found Buzz's reply unacceptable. Over and over and over and over and over and over and over again Father persisted, unwilling to accept the explanation given by Marquette's most successful basketball coach in nearly 40 years.

Trying to calm the situation, Buzz joked "If I didn't know better, Bob, I'd think you were accusing me of throwing games!"

"Sorry, Buzz, but that's exactly what I'm doing. My man Ners says you're in the tank!"

Lenny, this is pure fiction.  It's already been discussed how Ners wrote in a public forum that Buzz reads regularly that Derrick was the next Aaron Craft.  Buzz was just following Ners instructions. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2014, 09:58:58 AM »
I hate losing to Wisconsin, as everybody here does. I fear this could be quite a beatdown. With Kaminsky and their other bigs, a very bad matchup for us unless our guards go bonkers.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2014, 10:01:52 AM »
Finals go through Saturday, 12/13.  He won't be eligible to play until after that.  Also, final time for posting grades is noon on the 16th.  He will be be able to play against Arizona State on the 16th....

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2014, 10:13:55 AM »
My boss (UW alum) is already complaining it's MU's fault that this game is the same day as the B1G football championship

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2014, 10:18:48 AM »
My boss (UW alum) is already complaining it's MU's fault that this game is the same day as the B1G football championship

Maybe they'd rather play on January 1 when their football team won't be playing...
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2014, 10:23:38 AM »
No problem as Bucky won't be in that Big 10/14 championship game anyway...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2014, 10:26:27 AM »
No problem as Bucky won't be in that Big 10/14 championship game anyway...

Hmmmm....I wouldn't be too sure about that.  They'll be the early season favorite out of the West and their schedule is pretty favorable.  (Including Nebraska at home.)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2014, 10:58:49 AM »

Hmmmm....I wouldn't be too sure about that.  They'll be the early season favorite out of the West and their schedule is pretty favorable.  (Including Nebraska at home.)

Yeah, their schedule is a complete joke.  If they're able to miraculously beat LSU, they very well may be undefeated going into the B1G Championship game, where OSU will beat them by 17+.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUDagwood

• Walk-On
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2014, 11:08:20 AM »
Has it been confirmed that the ASU game is in fact on 12/16? Any other schedule tidbits out there?

Class71

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2014, 11:12:19 AM »
I hate losing to Wisconsin, as everybody here does. I fear this could be quite a beatdown. With Kaminsky and their other bigs, a very bad matchup for us unless our guards go bonkers.

Well an early season learning experience is better than a late one. I don't expect them to win but with our new coach there is a chance we keep it reasonably close. I will be happy with a moral victory on this one.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2014, 12:14:31 PM »
I found both of Ners and Lenny's stories amusing. +1 to you both.
TAMU

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2014, 01:46:37 PM »

I love Scoop. God help me but I love it so...

Death on call

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2014, 06:34:07 PM »
I found both of Ners and Lenny's stories amusing. +1 to you both.

Agree...Lenny did author a very nice comedic piece as well.  And, glad nobody needed the teal sarcasm detector to understand the sarcasm/humor involved in both our posts.  In my view, teal truly should never be used....sarcasm is intended to NOT be pointed out as being sarcastic.

ON another note....Magic Dawson sure does have a nice ring to it.  I look forward to John proving me right about his talents over the next 3 years..he'll be a really good player for MU over the course of his career.  Sad, though, that Buzz largely wasted his freshman season.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2014, 08:53:53 PM »
It could be a beatdown, but we lost only by 6 last year at their place. Who knows what would of happened, if Kaminsky had missed that three with about 2 minutes to go?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2014, 05:18:21 PM »
It could be a beatdown, but we lost only by 6 last year at their place. Who knows what would of happened, if Kaminsky had missed that three with about 2 minutes to go?

Nice positive comment, and I hope you're right to be optimistic.

It's not easy for me to think we'll be more ready for Wisconsin in December 2014 -- with an entirely new coaching staff, without any proven frontcourt players and even without Fischer -- but maybe we will be.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2014, 12:46:04 AM »
Bucky won't be as Sucky as some of you think when they roll in...that will be a great ballclub coming in here.

That will be a showdown, but a very tough game to win. Badgers could win a National Title.

Yes, there. I said it...and I mean it. No shame in it. I respect them. After all they are our Winconsinite basketball cousins.

I am MU through and through..but when it comes tournament time I pull for both Universities if they are in the dance.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2014, 01:04:11 AM »
Bucky won't be as Sucky as some of you think when they roll in...that will be a great ballclub coming in here.

That will be a showdown, but a very tough game to win. Badgers could win a National Title.

Yes, there. I said it...and I mean it. No shame in it. I respect them. After all they are our Winconsinite basketball cousins.

I am MU through and through..but when it comes tournament time I pull for both Universities if they are in the dance.

;D
TAMU

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2014, 10:02:39 AM »

Welcome to my ignore list!

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2014, 10:48:48 AM »

No. Just, no.