[Today at 10:36:59 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: BIG 3  (Read 3080 times)

mviale

• All American
BIG 3
« on: January 07, 2011, 02:26:34 PM »
What if Jimmy Butler, DJO and Jae go off on Saturday? We will win
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: BIG 3
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 02:29:47 PM »
They have combined for exactly 60 points in each of the 1st two BE games this year. They will need to be around that again tomorrow for us to win while defense will also need to be played.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 02:31:53 PM »
We can only expect that to happen if our point guard is able to effictively deliver a chest pass and post feed, "at just the right time/place."  Hopefully Junior will once again be able to execute this high degree of difficulty requirement as well as he did against Rutgers.

Yes, this could have been tealed.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 02:40:34 PM »
ners, you are one of the biggest optimists on this board and yet hate on Cadougan.   I don't get it.   Our 4th guard steps up when our starting point is down.  In his 20th college game he has an 8/1 assist to turnover ratio.   He didn't get abused on defense.  He missed free throws down the stretch like the starting point guard.   I expect nothing more than 4th guard minutes the rest of the year but if he continues to improve and get his confidence back  as his achilles heals, he will be ready to start next year.   Sure, he needs to hit a couple of shots.   Every player on this team needs to get better.   I am just surprised that you of all people would be so down on a kid. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

camarquette24

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 03:01:17 PM »
In my opinion, its pretty obvious we don't have to be overly concerned with how our offense approaches a game - we are going to score - we have too many guys with offensive firepower - its the defense - key to tomorrows game is getting at least 2 turkeys, as buzz calls them, per half and holding pitt to under 10 offensive rebounds - do that and we win

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 03:07:16 PM »
cadougan looked lost wednesday night.....needs to play better or we're in trouble if buycks is still hurt

mviale

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 03:09:04 PM »
Yes,  it is unfortunate that Cadougan has the shooting touch of Barro.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 03:10:59 PM »
cadougan looked lost Wednesday night.....needs to play better or we're in trouble if buycks is still hurt

Lost in terms of what?  Simply his scoring ability?  I am not saying he played a perfect game, but to say he looked lost may be a bit of an exaggeration.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 03:33:37 PM »

Lost in terms of what?  Simply his scoring ability?  I am not saying he played a perfect game, but to say he looked lost may be a bit of an exaggeration.

Yes, a bit of an exaggeration on his part but hes pretty much right. Sure the ratio was 8/1 assits/TO's but only 3 of the assists displayed any sort of challenge or real talent level. He had many instances where he fumbled the ball around resulting in a low shot clock, and a fewer passes that were deflected(luckily out of bounds). It was not a bad game though and we won with him getting 29 minutes as a typical back up. Ill take it.

That said, even if hes not going to score much if at all.........for the love of god make free throws. Its one thing for shaq to lay bricks but guards? cmon now. Dom James made up for his bricks in ways Junior cant.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 03:40:28 PM »
Since when is it so easy to put down the 8 to 1 A:TO ratio like that's chump change?  As a team we had 13 assists and 16 turnovers.  Clearly Rutger's defense was forcing us into bad situations, except it didn't seem to phase Jr enough into to force turnovers.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 03:42:07 PM »
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 03:47:09 PM by The Sultan of South Wayne »

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 03:43:32 PM »
Yes, a bit of an exaggeration on his part but hes pretty much right. Sure the ratio was 8/1 assits/TO's but only 3 of the assists displayed any sort of challenge or real talent level. He had many instances where he fumbled the ball around resulting in a low shot clock, and a fewer passes that were deflected(luckily out of bounds). It was not a bad game though and we won with him getting 29 minutes as a typical back up. Ill take it.

That said, even if hes not going to score much if at all.........for the love of god make free throws. Its one thing for shaq to lay bricks but guards? cmon now. Dom James made up for his bricks in ways Junior cant.

+1  Stats in his case are a bit deceiving.  As you said, lost control of the ball multiple times and made some bad passes.  Not saying our other guys don't do that too, but I wasn't very confident with him running the team despite what the stat sheet showed.  He's going to have to be more of a factor on both sides of the court vs. Pitt if Dwight doesn't play much.  Overall I think he played well considering his experience.  Hope he can step up even more.   :)

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 03:50:25 PM »
What if Jimmy Butler, DJO and Jae go off on Saturday? We will win
Freeway? Is that you?

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 04:24:08 PM »
Since when is it so easy to put down the 8 to 1 A:TO ratio like that's chump change?  As a team we had 13 assists and 16 turnovers.  Clearly Rutger's defense was forcing us into bad situations, except it didn't seem to phase Jr enough into to force turnovers.

+1000000

I thought Junior played a hell of a game Wednesday night. It seemed like he was the only one who could hold onto the ball.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 04:54:45 PM »
ners, you are one of the biggest optimists on this board and yet hate on Cadougan.   I don't get it.   Our 4th guard steps up when our starting point is down.  In his 20th college game he has an 8/1 assist to turnover ratio.   He didn't get abused on defense.  He missed free throws down the stretch like the starting point guard.   I expect nothing more than 4th guard minutes the rest of the year but if he continues to improve and get his confidence back  as his achilles heals, he will be ready to start next year.   Sure, he needs to hit a couple of shots.   Every player on this team needs to get better.   I am just surprised that you of all people would be so down on a kid. 
+1 gazillion.
But criticizing ners is like criticizing In Buzz We Trust
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 05:03:29 PM »

Tower - As you know it isn't like me to be down on many things MU basketball..but I'm not sure you could have an uglier 8:1 Assist to Turnover game than Junior played Wednesday night.  But to be fair, yes, he is basically just a freshman and getting acclimated to high major ball.  He's good in transition with his passing, but I'm nervous as hell with the ball in his hands in halfcourt sets, and against aggressive man to man D.

All this said, I probably should cut him more slack than I have..but do find that some have been sensationalizing the skill level needed to deliver a pass to a teammate.  Other than the 1 good create and dish for a layup to Blue against Rutgers..he didn't create any real scoring opportunitiies for teammates.

Junior did do well defensively...and I do think he just needs a few shots to fall from the perimeter/going to the basket to help build his confidence..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 05:22:07 PM »

All this said, I probably should cut him more slack than I have..but do find that some have been sensationalizing the skill level needed to deliver a pass to a teammate. 

I shall make every attempt to avoid sensationalizing assists.  In fact, I'll make it a new year's resolution.   ::)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.