[Today at 05:59:48 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:37:37 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by JakeBarnes
[Today at 04:41:29 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I Wrote This the Other Day  (Read 1680 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
I Wrote This the Other Day
« on: April 15, 2019, 04:40:55 PM »
This is very true. Though I hope Markus doesn't get all the attention. This may seem silly, but it always seemed weird to me that Wojo was saying "the strength of our team is the team" but then all the media focused on was Markus. MU has limited control over that, but I hope they find a way to highlight other members of the team as well.

I think everyone is looking for a smoking gun on why the Hausers transferred. I don't think you will find one. I think there's a lot of things that went into it but I think the above might capture where some of the disconnect was.

Wojo preached constantly that the "strength of our team is the team." That's nice and all, but a casual look at the box score would lead you to think otherwise. As did all the media attention that Howard got. The narrative leading up to our NCAAT game was Markus vs. Ja. At the press conference before the game, virtually all the questions were about Markus or Ja Morant. I could see how Sam sitting there taking questions could feel a disconnect between the message and what was actually happening.

Winning hides a lot of ills. No one is going to complain when the team is top 10 and heading for a Big East title. But when you lose 6 of 7? Frustration will boil over. I mean we saw how things got on scoop at the end of the season, and we're just internet bums who care too much about college basketball. Can you imagine the frustration for the players in the locker room?

Now imagine that after all the frustration, you sit at home and watch the team that offered you a scholarship out of high school, the team you said no to in order to go to Marquette, win a national championship. If you had made a different decision, you would have been a national champion by now. Not only that, but the team plays in a way that embodies the "strength of the team is the team" mindset. Think about that UVA roster, you've got some really talented players sure, but they are good because they know their roles and play as a team. Guy, Hunter, and Jerome got All American mentions but they got there without dominating the ball the way Markus did. Might have you questioning what could have been.

Now imagine that you hear through some backchannels that the national champions that you passed on are interested in having you come aboard. Maybe the transfer starts to make more sense.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
Re: I Wrote This the Other Day
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 04:45:13 PM »
I think everyone is looking for a smoking gun on why the Hausers transferred. I don't think you will find one. I think there's a lot of things that went into it but I think the above might capture where some of the disconnect was.

Wojo preached constantly that the "strength of our team is the team." That's nice and all, but a casual look at the box score would lead you to think otherwise. As did all the media attention that Howard got. The narrative leading up to our NCAAT game was Markus vs. Ja. At the press conference before the game, virtually all the questions were about Markus or Ja Morant. I could see how Sam sitting there taking questions could feel a disconnect between the message and what was actually happening.

Winning hides a lot of ills. No one is going to complain when the team is top 10 and heading for a Big East title. But when you lose 6 of 7? Frustration will boil over. I mean we saw how things got on scoop at the end of the season, and we're just internet bums who care too much about college basketball. Can you imagine the frustration for the players in the locker room?

Now imagine that after all the frustration, you sit at home and watch the team that offered you a scholarship out of high school, the team you said no to in order to go to Marquette, win a national championship. If you had made a different decision, you would have been a national champion by now. Not only that, but the team plays in a way that embodies the "strength of the team is the team" mindset. Think about that UVA roster, you've got some really talented players sure, but they are good because they know their roles and play as a team. Guy, Hunter, and Jerome got All American mentions but they got there without dominating the ball the way Markus did. Might have you questioning what could have been.

Now imagine that you hear through some backchannels that the national champions that you passed on are interested in having you come aboard. Maybe the transfer starts to make more sense.

If this is true it still makes no sense.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 04:46:00 PM »

Is that even legal? So Wojo could go through some back channels and poach some kids from their teams say like a Ja?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 04:50:10 PM »
Is that even legal? So Wojo could go through some back channels and poach some kids from their teams say like a Ja?

Well Ja is going to the NBA so probably not him.

To answer you question, there are rules that are supposed to prevent it. They are very easy to get around and virtually every team does it.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 04:53:14 PM »
Well Ja is going to the NBA so probably not him.

To answer you question, there are rules that are supposed to prevent it. They are very easy to get around and virtually every team does it.

So who should Wojo go after and how does he go around the rules so he doesn't look like he's going around the rules.

feedback