* Recent Posts

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by forgetful
[Today at 09:24:21 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUfan12
[Today at 09:05:12 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Problem Wojo or Markus?  (Read 17755 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Problem Wojo or Markus?
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2019, 05:41:06 PM »
I think Joey’s stock was the deciding factor.  Instead of potentially being the 4th option next year, he can sit out and let the hype machine do its magic.  He comes back in 2020 and as long as his numbers improve in the slightest, he’s in a better position for the draft somewhere down the line.

Right or wrong, these kids (and their parents) see the NBA in their future first.

Oh, I think it's fine of they and their parents are looking out for hopes of an NBA future. They ought to be.
I just don't see this helping Sam's NBA future in the least.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2019, 05:47:12 PM »
oh come on this is ridiculous.. How full of yourself  can you be? they and the parents are looking to get to the nba and they cant be the stars at MU cuz markus? what does sam think hes gonna be a superstar at UVA or MSU? please...… They are both incredibly unathletic for NBA standards. Sam is pretty one-dimensional  in my opinion. Great college player. Shot in the dark to have an NBA career.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2019, 06:08:54 PM »
If Sam Hauser is looking to play in the NBA (and I certainly understand and wouldn’t dissuade him), his best path was to play next year at Marquette. Either that, or he should just outright declare right now.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2019, 06:10:32 PM »
I will say again those that assume this was all about putting themselves in the best position to play at the next level are really underselling the issues that caused them to leave. It seems clear to me this goes way beyond wanting to go somewhere they’re featured players.
No Finish Line

muguru

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2019, 06:18:28 PM »
I will say again those that assume this was all about putting themselves in the best position to play at the next level are really underselling the issues that caused them to leave. It seems clear to me this goes way beyond wanting to go somewhere they’re featured players.

This +1000...people want to believe that's the case because it's the thing they think makes the most sense, thus then they can blame the Hauser's for making a bad decision. If Sam is leaving with one year left, things must be REALLY bad internally, to think otherwise is closing your eyes to reality. This has less to do about their "basketball futures" then it does other problems that they didn't see getting corrected under Wojo. That's just the facts.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2019, 06:19:57 PM »
This +1000...people want to believe that's the case because it's the thing they think makes the most sense, thus then they can blame the Hauser's for making a bad decision. If Sam is leaving with one year left, things must be REALLY bad internally, to think otherwise is closing your eyes to reality. This has less to do about their "basketball futures" then it does other problems that they didn't see getting corrected under Wojo. That's just the facts.

If more don't transfer, does that mitigate the catastrophic program issue and poiint more toward a Hauser issue?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2019, 06:21:26 PM »
If more don't transfer, does that mitigate the catastrophic program issue and poiint more toward a Hauser issue?

That’s what I’m thinking. I have no clue if there’s any merit to it or not, but maybe it was a relief to some players that they’re gone.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2019, 06:22:31 PM »

No, its actually your opinion and perception of the situation.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2019, 06:23:58 PM »
Maybe, maybe not. There’s been plenty of speculation today that others are also unhappy and considering transferring. Just because they may choose not to doesn’t necessarily pardon Wojo.
No Finish Line

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2019, 06:27:59 PM »

No.  A ton of minutes just opened up, so other guys who might’ve transferred could stay now because of that.

This is 100% a program issue.  Wojo had to keep the Hausers.  It’s an absolute embarrassment that he couldn’t manage to do it.  My god, how could anyone believe otherwise?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2019, 06:28:34 PM »
No.  A ton of minutes just opened up, so other guys who might’ve transferred could stay now because of that.

This is 100% a program issue.  Wojo had to keep the Hausers.  It’s an absolute embarrassment that he couldn’t manage to do it.  My god, how could anyone believe otherwise?

How can you be so sure?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2019, 06:33:49 PM »
Howard is a classic coach killer. I’d be much more interested in watching this team next year without Howard than I will be with Howard and no Hausers.

I’m not even looking forward to the season. I can’t say I’ve ever felt that way. I can’t watch this kid dominate the ball, hoist up shot after shot and then talk up his teammates. It’s terrible basketball.

I don't disagree, Rican, but so, for example, was Henry Ellenson. But because they're his "stars" Wojo protects them at all costs. They can take bad shot after bad shot and the coach doesn't say boo - on the contrary, he says "More!" somebody in another thread said that Markus's usage in our 7 game skid was an unreal 41%. Any coach who allows that from a guy who's gone ice cold is stupid or has lost control. Either way it's bad news for Wojo.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2019, 06:36:56 PM »
Howard is a classic coach killer. I’d be much more interested in watching this team next year without Howard than I will be with Howard and no Hausers.

I’m not even looking forward to the season. I can’t say I’ve ever felt that way. I can’t watch this kid dominate the ball, hoist up shot after shot and then talk up his teammates. It’s terrible basketball.
I have to agree. While I was really happy Markus decided to come back a part of me was curious to watch next year’s team without him. We just don’t consistently run offense with his usage rate.
No Finish Line

muguru

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2019, 06:37:19 PM »
No, its actually your opinion and perception of the situation.

Actually it's not..I will leave it at that.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2019, 06:39:47 PM »
I thought the problem was solved with someone other than Markus running the point, like Kobe.  His job would be to get the ball to the open guy.

Much harder to be a ball hog if you are not running the point.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2019, 06:59:13 PM »
I can't remember which game it was, but it was fairly late in the season, maybe one of those quickie halftime interviews.

I'm paraphrasing here ... Wojo was asked about Markus having a great first half but would it help the team if he distributed the ball a little more. Wojo smiled and said sure but quickly added that Markus is a special talent and you don't want to tell a player like that to stop shooting.

Take from that what you will. I take it as a coach who understood what Markus was as a player but who also ceded control of the team to that player, and now the chickens have come home to roost. Or actually, the chickens are leaving home for another roost.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2019, 07:04:06 PM »
I can't remember which game it was, but it was fairly late in the season, maybe one of those quickie halftime interviews.

I'm paraphrasing here ... Wojo was asked about Markus having a great first half but would it help the team if he distributed the ball a little more. Wojo smiled and said sure but quickly added that Markus is a special talent and you don't want to tell a player like that to stop shooting.

Take from that what you will. I take it as a coach who understood what Markus was as a player but who also ceded control of the team to that player, and now the chickens have come home to roost. Or actually, the chickens are leaving home for another roost.
The problem with this is that Howard doesn’t have the athleticism to do this game after game. He’s a terrible finisher at the rim, mostly I suspect because defenders are certain he will never attempt to find an open teammate.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2019, 07:22:30 PM »
Actually it's not..I will leave it at that.

Oh, so you know a guy who knows a guy. Why didn’t you say so in the first place?

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2019, 08:03:11 PM »
I’m sorry, I know Wojo is not Buzz. He’s not KO. But I don’t think he’s the problem.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2019, 08:07:35 PM »
Maybe Mr & Mrs Hauser ??? 😏😎

muguru

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2019, 08:12:35 PM »
I thought the problem was solved with someone other than Markus running the point, like Kobe.  His job would be to get the ball to the open guy.

Much harder to be a ball hog if you are not running the point.

See, I think this might be part of the problem. We all just assume Markus wouldn't have been playing as much PG next year, but what if Wojo doesn't feel that way?? I mean he did say at one point a year or so ago, that "he owes it to Markus for his development for the next level" to play him at PG.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2019, 08:13:20 PM »
Joey.    Wanted to be featured.    Wasn't going to happen next year.    Sam's loyalty was to his brother over the team.   Joey was yelling and getting frustrated in November when he didn't get the ball when he wanted it.    Sam would tell him to be quiet.     The seeds of this were sown early. 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 08:26:38 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2019, 08:16:34 PM »
Next man up, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2019, 08:39:03 PM »
Joey.    Wanted to be featured.    Wasn't going to happen next year.    Sam's loyalty was to his brother over the team.   Joey was yelling and getting frustrated in November when he didn't get the ball when he wanted it.    Sam would tell him to be quiet.     The seeds of this were sown early.

EXACTLY. 
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2019, 08:42:05 PM »
Whatever the case, this is about Joey.  Sam was not leaving for one year.  Siggghh....

feedback