[Today at 05:59:48 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:37:37 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by JakeBarnes
[Today at 04:41:29 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Another Thing  (Read 2244 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Another Thing
« on: April 15, 2019, 01:42:26 PM »
I'm seeing a lot of posts that we are now NIT bound, or next season is meaningless....etc.

The Hausers are very good. Huge blow for sure. But they are not good enough to drop a team from top 10 to out of the tournament.

I haven't run the math yet, but my gut tells me that we will be about as good next season as we were this season, possibly a little better depending on how the new pieces fit in. And this is without Symir reclassifying or a grad transfer being added.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Windyplayer

• All American
Re: Another Thing
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 01:44:02 PM »
Correct.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 01:44:51 PM »
IMO it’s much deeper than math and players on the roster. This program has major issues.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 01:45:59 PM »
We improved on defense today.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 01:51:43 PM »
IMO it’s much deeper than math and players on the roster. This program has major issues.

That's what worries me.  In essence, I think that Sam and Joey leaving is their way of saying, "Yeah, you all think that this is a Top 10 team next year...but you don't know what's going on behind closed doors...we're not stupid, we wouldn't walk away from a top 10 team...we're walking away because we know there are issues here that will prevent this from being a top 10 team."

If that's the case, then who knows what the floor might be for the team.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 03:59:16 PM »
That's what worries me.  In essence, I think that Sam and Joey leaving is their way of saying, "Yeah, you all think that this is a Top 10 team next year...but you don't know what's going on behind closed doors...we're not stupid, we wouldn't walk away from a top 10 team...we're walking away because we know there are issues here that will prevent this from being a top 10 team."

If that's the case, then who knows what the floor might be for the team.

Or, the issues are now gone...or, at the very least, the only players who had issues with the star player are now gone.

If you can’t work things out, you’re not the winner that you or even your coach thought you were. Look up the locker room antics of most championship teams...there are often gigantic flame ups and discord. Al himself admitted how prevalent in-team fighting was on his top10 teams.

Goodbye. #Slow
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 04:08:27 PM »
I'm seeing a lot of posts that we are now NIT bound, or next season is meaningless....etc.

The Hausers are very good. Huge blow for sure. But they are not good enough to drop a team from top 10 to out of the tournament.

I haven't run the math yet, but my gut tells me that we will be about as good next season as we were this season, possibly a little better depending on how the new pieces fit in. And this is without Symir reclassifying or a grad transfer being added.

I agree. I think the big hit will be to our depth next year.

The Hausers averaged 24.6/12.5 together with terrible defense (Sam was excellent team defense-wise, but too slow to match up 1-on-1).

I think our two starting forwards next year will be close to that - probably 20+/10 - and play way better defense.

We will also play faster next year as Bailey, Cain, and Elliot can get up and down the court much quicker.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 04:10:34 PM »
Sam is a better defender than many give him credit for, both team-defense wise and individual D. Just my observation.

I want to be as optimistic as TAMU, and I am an optimistic kind of guy in "real life," but today I'm having trouble seeing things that way.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 04:25:11 PM »
When a player who was just named co-MVP decides to leave the program before his senior season, that's a huge blow. Over the past two seasons, Sam has played more minutes than any other player on the roster right now -- which should tell you just how important he's been to the team. Wojo wanted him on the court as much as possible. Marquette will miss him tremendously.

It's hard to view this as a positive development. I don't like it one bit. But it could be an opportunity. Two more scholarships open up right now, and more than 60 mpg of playing time, just when recruiting season is heating up -- with the opportunity to play alongside a returning All-American. Who can Wojo bring in? We'll have to wait and see.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

feedback