[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Steel  (Read 5169 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Steel
« on: April 15, 2019, 01:28:23 PM »
The toughest steel is forged in the hottest fire. Crisis and disaster are excellent teaching tools. The best learn from it and become better for it. It is also a great way to separate the wheat from the chaff. Those who don't learn from it quickly break.

So a few things.

1. No Wojo is not getting fired this season.
2. No seriously, Wojo is not getting fired this season.
3. Expectations don't change. We were promised a top seed and that is what Wojo is tasked with delivering.
4. If Wojo cannot deliver, the Hausers leaving is not an acceptable excuse. He bears partial responsibility for this mess so he needs to get himself out of it.
5. If Wojo can deliver despite these departures, we may just have a quality coach.
6. Delivering a top seed is not enough. We were also promised stability. There needs to be a recruiting foundation set up for the next few seasons. He needs to close the deal on some of these 2020 recruits.

That's what I got. Long offseason ahead.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

NickelDimer

• All American
Re: Steel
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 01:30:08 PM »
His days are numbered. That number may be three digits but it’s the beginning of the end.
No Finish Line

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 01:33:57 PM »
The team dynamic wasn't good.  I had heard some players had approached Wojo about they way our star disregarding plays or improvised on his own.  There was frustration expressed, not just from the Hausers.  Wojo promised to handle it, but hasn't resolved the matter.  He couldn't manage the personalities involved.  The Hausers weren't thinking about the NBA they were unhappy with the direction of the team.  Time will tell if Wojo picked the right horse.  Lots of pressure on one guy now.

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 01:34:06 PM »
The toughest steel is forged in the hottest fire. Crisis and disaster are excellent teaching tools. The best learn from it and become better for it. It is also a great way to separate the wheat from the chaff. Those who don't learn from it quickly break.

So a few things.

3. Expectations don't change. We were promised a top seed and that is what Wojo is tasked with delivering.
4. If Wojo cannot deliver, the Hausers leaving is not an acceptable excuse. He bears partial responsibility for this mess so he needs to get himself out of it.
5. If Wojo can deliver despite these departures, we may just have a quality coach.
6. Delivering a top seed is not enough. We were also promised stability. There needs to be a recruiting foundation set up for the next few seasons. He needs to close the deal on some of these 2020 recruits.

at what point are you willing to let go???????? if we don't have enough players for a starting 5??? what other signs would you need to know wojo aint going anywhere upward with Marquette from this point on????? the upward trajectory stopped when that stink of a losing streak started and the decline is going to be very steep and may be far worse in the coming months at this point. 

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 01:37:58 PM »

So a few things.

Logically I don't disagree with any of this (emotionally, #firewojo). But just a thought - if (when?) Wojo is not asked back next year, the cupboard is absolutely bare. It's not just yet.

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 01:42:38 PM »
The team dynamic wasn't good.  I had heard some players had approached Wojo about they way our star disregarding plays or improvised on his own.  There was frustration expressed, not just from the Hausers.  Wojo promised to handle it, but hasn't resolved the matter.  He couldn't manage the personalities involved.  The Hausers weren't thinking about the NBA they were unhappy with the direction of the team.  Time will tell if Wojo picked the right horse.  Lots of pressure on one guy now.
This 

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 01:42:54 PM »

Wasn’t he “fortunate enough to be on a team that lets him do what he does?”

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 01:44:47 PM »

So a few things.

He deserves more than partial responsibility. The buck stops with the head coach. He has time to right the ship but between the collapse at season's end and the transfers he has a big hole to dig out of. There is no question Wojo will be feeling heat.

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 01:45:27 PM »
Logically I don't disagree with any of this (emotionally, #firewojo). But just a thought - if (when?) Wojo is not asked back next year, the cupboard is absolutely bare. It's not just yet.

I get it its a total 100 percent loss now if we fire wojo this offseason but what is our ceiling in the next few seasons with him assuming we keep what we have,  we can't bank on any good recruits now that we are soiled , do we keep him just because we might leak out a tourney bid ????? do we keep him because we can probably get to the NIT a few years in a row? 

if so whats the harm in starting over when we know its inevitable.  Good coaches do not lose 2 potential starters in this fashion on a team with high expectations, etc etc. 

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 01:46:10 PM »
If the crisis is caused by outside circumstances, I would agree with your assessment of the situation.

The problem with the logic is the current crisis is most decidedly not the result of outside circumstances.

A huge part of his job as the chief executive of the program is to make sure things like internal discord causing two of your foundational recruits to quit the team doesn’t happen.

I have zero confidence in the current coach to fix the crisis that happened on his watch. None.

The Hauser family evaluated the situation, and made the decision that Wojo was not the correct person to coach Sam and Joey, and acted on it.

It is absolutely appropriate for the university leadership to look at the situation and ask themselves the same questions from their perspective.

If they come to the same conclusion, waiting to act on the evidence is completely counterproductive. Either he’s the right guy or he isn’t. Waiting to see if he can fix the clusterf-ck of a situation that happened under his watch is letting the tail wag the dog.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 01:47:21 PM »

Bingo.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 01:47:37 PM »

at what point are you willing to let go???????? if we don't have enough players for a starting 5??? what other signs would you need to know wojo aint going anywhere upward with Marquette from this point on????? the upward trajectory stopped when that stink of a losing streak started and the decline is going to be very steep and may be far worse in the coming months at this point.

We would actually need to not go upward. You are speculating that we won't go upward next season. You might be right. If we don't, it will be time. But I don't fire people because I think they won't get better when all they have done since they have gotten here is improve.
TAMU

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 01:49:01 PM »
If the crisis is caused by outside circumstances, I would agree with your assessment of the situation.

The problem with the logic is the current crisis is most decidedly not the result of outside circumstances.

A huge part of his job as the chief executive of the program is to make sure things like internal discord causing two of your foundational recruits to quit the team doesn’t happen.

I have zero confidence in the current coach to fix the crisis that happened on his watch. None.

The Hauser family evaluated the situation, and made the decision that Wojo was not the correct person to coach Sam and Joey, and acted on it.

It is absolutely appropriate for the university leadership to look at the situation and ask themselves the same questions from their perspective.

If they come to the same conclusion, waiting to act on the evidence is completely counterproductive. Either he’s the right guy or he isn’t. Waiting to see if he can fix the clusterf-ck of a situation that happened under his watch is letting the tail wag the dog.

You're making too much sense here.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 01:51:31 PM »
He deserves more than partial responsibility. The buck stops with the head coach. He has time to right the ship but between the collapse at season's end and the transfers he has a big hole to dig out of. There is no question Wojo will be feeling heat.

I'm hesitant to assign 100% blame to anyone for an emotional decision made by a college student. Ultimately yes, it is a coach's job to manage the personalities of his players and get them buy into the team concept. Wojo failed in this regard. But there is no question that this decision is an emotional one, not a logical one. It's hard to plan for those.
TAMU

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2019, 01:52:04 PM »
I am wondering if the Hauser are only the front end of this tsunami? Are there more waves yet to come in the coming days and weeks?

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2019, 01:55:16 PM »

Spot on
No Finish Line

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2019, 01:55:35 PM »
I am wondering if the Hauser are only the front end of this tsunami? Are there more waves yet to come in the coming days and weeks?
Doubt it now, TONS of playing time open now

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2019, 01:56:12 PM »

There was another crack in the levy but I think all believe it to be firmly patched up. At this point, I'm not anticipating anymore damage but who knows. College kids do strange crap.
TAMU

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2019, 01:57:19 PM »

+1 this has me really nervous.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2019, 01:57:34 PM »
I would bet on it.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2019, 01:57:46 PM »
Wojo has no clue and is out of his league. Was given too much time already. MU needs to decide if they want a first class basketball program or not.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU_CHI

• Walk-On
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2019, 01:59:11 PM »

I believe this will turn out to be true. I've heard rumors of others leaving (i.e. Sacar, Jamal, Ike).

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2019, 01:59:59 PM »
But there is no question that this decision is an emotional one, not a logical one. It's hard to plan for those.

This was not a rash decision, or one they took lightly.

I can say with confidence that the kids and their family took everything into consideration.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2019, 02:01:55 PM »
Its very disappointing that the Hausers are leaving.  Great talents.  I have never been impressed with Wojo's coaching ability but dropped my guard here the last 2 weeks with the thoughts of having a very talented team next year in spite of Wojo's coaching ability.  I was torn on the notion that we would be in the land of mediocrity with a good year, here and there.  Not good enough to where most MU fans would be satisfied.  Not bad enough to fire Wojo. 

Now with the Hauser's leaving, I think we will finally see what Wojo is made of and have a definitive verdict on his MU tenure.  A disappointing year next year with the Hauser's leaving and he will be let go.  And with that, the hopes of finding a better successor.  A very good season will undoubtedly mean that the man can actually coach or at least manage the pieces he to put together after losing some big time players.  A better chance on the former then the latter.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2019, 02:03:03 PM »
This was not a rash decision, or one they took lightly.

I can say with confidence that the kids and their family took everything into consideration.

in your opinion/knowledge, do they stay if Markus had gone pro?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

feedback