[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Koby, Brendan, Greg, Jamal and Ed, your time to shine is NOW  (Read 7792 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Koby, Brendan, Greg, Jamal and Ed, your time to shine is NOW
« on: April 15, 2019, 12:57:03 PM »
With Sam and Joey gone, those guys just stepped up two spots in the rotation. I suspect Koby and Brendan start with Markus, Sacar and Theo...with plenty to top reserves minutes for the others.

We got this.

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
Re: Koby, Brendan, Greg, Jamal and Ed, your time to shine is NOW
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 12:58:58 PM »
its going to be an NIT season at best followed by WOJO being canned, so at least we have that going for us.

Would not be surprised if more cards start falling from the house now. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 01:02:09 PM »
its going to be an NIT season at best followed by WOJO being canned, so at least we have that going for us.

No Koby is still good and it's still a very experienced team. Different look, tops out at what we finished at this year. IMO
Maigh Eo for Sam

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 01:05:13 PM »

Lose Sam and Joey

Gain Koby and Ed probably Symir.

We ain’t gonna be legit contenders. But that’s a far fall you are projecting
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 01:05:37 PM »
We will be a much quicker team. Now that does not necessarily make us better, but we were too unathletic with the Hausers to go far in the NCAA tournament this coming year. Disappointing, but not end of the world.

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 01:10:37 PM »
At this rate would not be surprised if they are scouring the AMU for eligible players,  markus, sacar, who knows who else might jump ship.

This program is in trouble. 
Time to cut ties with wojo
#wojohasnomojo

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 01:10:47 PM »
Still trying to process this - just so shocking.

Need big improvement from Bailey.  How much did Greg improve during his redshirt?  Can Jamal step up?  Is Koby the real deal?  While Torrence reclassify?  How much can Theo improve?  Still a lot of talent on this team but so many questions now. 

We're really going to miss them from behind the arc and the ability to play multiple positions. 

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 01:12:33 PM »

I wonder if anyone else is going to leave? Full face plant for Wojo on this mess.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 01:13:09 PM »
Can offer a starting spot to any grad transfer available, it will be interesting how recruiting goes now for Wisconsin kids.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 01:16:09 PM »
Too late to get in on the Drexel kid??

Not a great shooter but 6’9 15/6/2 would be nice right now

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 01:16:34 PM »
We will be a much quicker team. Now that does not necessarily make us better, but we were too unathletic with the Hausers to go far in the NCAA tournament this coming year. Disappointing, but not end of the world.

I think there in some of this post.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 01:16:35 PM »

Agreed. Great players, but having both of them in the game alongside Theo and Markus really bogged us down. We could use another couple players getting regular minutes that have the ability to drive, create separation and mismatches etc. Let's just hope that's the way this goes.

Definitely hurts but it's for the best for all parties. If they weren't happy for any reason it is their right to do this. Fans that just had their "lives ruined" will get over it. I think.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 01:17:21 PM »
Can offer a starting spot to any grad transfer available, it will be interesting how recruiting goes now for Wisconsin kids.

I'm guessing anything North of Lake Winnebago is gone.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 01:23:36 PM »
I think the affect of this type of transfer goes beyond and is more damaging than just the loss of those two players. I’m having a tough time seeing how we simply pick ourselves up and move forward successfully with the problem still running the show
No Finish Line

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2019, 01:29:48 PM »
I think the affect of this type of transfer goes beyond and is more damaging than just the loss of those two players. I’m having a tough time seeing how we simply pick ourselves up and move forward successfully with the problem still running the show

absolutely right,  we are definitely damaged goods for recruiting purposes now,  that's a major blow, 
How often does a team with championship level prediction for next season lose two potential starters.  its gotta be pretty damn rare.

This all falls on wojo and I don't see how anybody can honestly make lemonade out of these lemons we have been dealt.  This is the beginning of a new long and more painful dark age.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2019, 01:32:38 PM »
I'm guessing anything North of Lake Winnebago is gone.

Like Willie and Herman will soon say, the farm kids are gone and now its time for the inner city kids.  The athletic, pogo stick kids that are here now and need to be in 2020.  Times are changing. 

Starters:

Theo
Bailey
Sacar
McEwen
Markus

Reserves:

Morrow
Cain
Elliott
Akanno

Cain just went from going to the University of Detroit to the first forward off the bench.  Elliott, first guard, Morrow for Theo.

Team needs a grad transfer forward ASAP. You have to figure the foul issues (including Cain) will continue and be a nemesis again.  No clue on the Akanno kid, but at least MU has three competent guards at this point.  Another grad transfer guard or have Torrence move up a year. 

Then reload in 2020 with huge class and now with Joey gone, leaves front court with many, many minutes for the 2020 potential recruits to look at.  Just hope all these rumors don't hurt in the recruiting phase.  2020 is just so important moving forward. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2019, 01:34:49 PM »

absolutely right,  we are definitely damaged goods for recruiting purposes now,  that's a major blow, 
How often does a team with championship level prediction for next season lose two potential starters.  its gotta be pretty damn rare.

This all falls on wojo and I don't see how anybody can honestly make lemonade out of these lemons we have been dealt.  This is the beginning of a new long and more painful dark age.

I agree with you completely.  That said, assuming Wojo survives this, you just have to read this board to know how Wojo and his staff will spin this.  The script is here in these threads.  I'm not saying that I agree with it, but it's the only possible spin going forward with recruits.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2019, 01:37:03 PM »
I agree with you completely.  That said, assuming Wojo survives this, you just have to read this board to know how Wojo and his staff will spin this.  The script is here in these threads.  I'm not saying that I agree with it, but it's the only possible spin going forward with recruits.

Not much to spin.

Wasn’t there rumors that the Hausers didn’t want Herro??

Looks to be more truthful now, and it looks like Herro wasn’t the issue.

Kentucky loved the kid.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2019, 01:45:57 PM »
Not much to spin.

Wasn’t there rumors that the Hausers didn’t want Herro??

Looks to be more truthful now, and it looks like Herro wasn’t the issue.

Kentucky loved the kid.

There's always spin.  If Wojo and his staff are going to continue to recruit to Marquette, they'll have to explain what happened.  I assure you they won't blame Wojo.  It'll be some combination of the following:  couldn't handle not being "the man" and Wojo was strong enough to not let them call the shots; meddling family; not really that good anyway.  In short, the things that some people on this board are saying.

I'm not saying that these are true, but they're going to continue recruiting kids and when they are asked, you can be sure that they'll have some response other than, "they hated Wojo."

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2019, 01:46:45 PM »
this wont hurt recruiting as much as we think

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2019, 01:58:08 PM »
This may actually accelerate the changes in personnel and playing style that many here have been begging for IF he can replace them with athletic slasher types. 

I loved the Hausers.  But, they were not athletic and were pretty one dimensional.  Good shooters, decent in isolation/post up.  Average on defense and pretty much non-existent in transition other than maybe a three attempt here and there. 

I can see this working out once the shock wears off.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2019, 02:10:34 PM »

While lots here are throwing fits, this is where I'm at. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2019, 02:11:57 PM »
this wont hurt recruiting as much as we think

Agree. Kids will go where they want to go....

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2019, 02:12:22 PM »
Crazy how just a couple weeks ago we were talking about the depth of this team

dannyb334

• Walk-On
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2019, 02:19:15 PM »
#bringbackHaanif

This may actually accelerate the changes in personnel and playing style that many here have been begging for IF he can replace them with athletic slasher types. 

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2019, 02:22:03 PM »

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2019, 02:27:22 PM »
Like Willie and Herman will soon say, the farm kids are gone and now its time for the inner city kids.  The athletic, pogo stick kids that are here now and need to be in 2020.  Times are changing. 

Starters:

Theo
Bailey
Sacar
McEwen
Markus

Reserves:

Morrow
Cain
Elliott
Akanno

Cain just went from going to the University of Detroit to the first forward off the bench.  Elliott, first guard, Morrow for Theo.

Team needs a grad transfer forward ASAP. You have to figure the foul issues (including Cain) will continue and be a nemesis again.  No clue on the Akanno kid, but at least MU has three competent guards at this point.  Another grad transfer guard or have Torrence move up a year. 

Then reload in 2020 with huge class and now with Joey gone, leaves front court with many, many minutes for the 2020 potential recruits to look at.  Just hope all these rumors don't hurt in the recruiting phase.  2020 is just so important moving forward.
Ed will need to step up at the 4...Exactly the reason why he transferred from Nebraska.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2019, 02:28:23 PM »
Ed will need to step up at the 4...Exactly the reason why he transferred from Nebraska.

And who plays the 5 when he is at the 4?  No way can he and Theo be on the floor at the same time. 

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2019, 02:30:25 PM »
Assuming we don't have anyone else - Morrow, Bailey, Cain - transferl, we just got a lot more athletic.

The Hauser's, no doubt, are very good basketball players but they were not great athletes.  Others have accurately pointed out that they were a liability when facing a more athletic opponent and there wasn't anything that was going to change that fact.

I am no fan of Wojo - I have been consistently screaming, "WE SHOULD HIRE HOWLAND" since the day he interviewed. Nothing I have seen in the last four years has changed my mind on that point.  This upcoming season, however, MU will have the most athletic team on the court that we have seen since the hillbilly left.

If Wojo is at all capable of actually coaching, this will be the team where he should be able to do it.  Athletes from one end of the bench to the other.

As for how damaging this is to MU basketball, people need to chill a little.  This is a divorce.  Nothing more, nothing less.  In all divorces, there is "her" story and "his" story.  The truth always lies in the middle of the two.  We are assuming one version of the story now but the other story will be used on the recruiting trail.  Would be better if it didn't happen (in the most obvious comment on Scoop today...) but this isn't a death-knell for the program or the coach, imo.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2019, 02:33:13 PM »
I am calling it right now. Slow start to the year, but Elite 8 or better. Markus goes out as the GOAT, averaging 25/5/5.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2019, 02:33:49 PM »
And who plays the 5 when he is at the 4?  No way can he and Theo be on the floor at the same time.

Well maybe EKE can play the 5.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2019, 02:34:20 PM »
Grad Transfer..

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2019, 02:35:35 PM »

I loved the Hausers.  But, they were not athletic and were pretty one dimensional.  Good shooters, decent in isolation/post up.  Average on defense and pretty much non-existent in transition other than maybe a three attempt here and there. 

I can see this working out once the shock wears off.

As a hopeless optimist, I like where you are going with this.

My first post on this subject was pretty gloomy. This tone from you and few other Scoopers helps.

I still think it will be very difficult for the program to recover from this, but I'm open to being very wrong about that.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2019, 02:37:56 PM »
I am calling it right now. Slow start to the year, but Elite 8 or better. Markus goes out as the GOAT, averaging 25/5/5.
+1

fjm

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2019, 02:40:23 PM »
Unfortunately.... I just read on Instagram that a current MU student is saying the Hauser are likely not the only ones. Bailey also being rumored as gone.

I hope not. But gees. Rumor mill party

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2019, 02:41:26 PM »
Unfortunately.... I just read on Instagram that a current MU student is saying the Hauser are likely not the only ones. Bailey also being rumored as gone.

link the post

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2019, 02:47:00 PM »
As a hopeless optimist, I like where you are going with this.

My first post on this subject was pretty gloomy. This tone from you and few other Scoopers helps.

I still think it will be very difficult for the program to recover from this, but I'm open to being very wrong about that.

Will be very difficult to recover, but that's what sports is a big part of, getting back on your and throwing punches. 
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2019, 02:48:02 PM »

Why would Bailey run? If anyone took Bailey's spot it was Joey.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2019, 02:48:48 PM »

Trying to think about this, IF Symir will end up @ MU next year ('19-20) I'd say

Markus + Symir > Sam + Joey

Of course, one might argue it could have been Markus < Sam + Joey + Symir.  But both situations are all theoretical at this point.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2019, 02:52:05 PM »

Once again, this assumes that playing time is they key issue in these decisions.  It might be; it might not.  But, if guys who are getting good minutes leave a team, I think it's fair to assume that playing time isn't what's driving them out.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2019, 03:05:24 PM »
I think Torrence reclassifies.  That gives MU 5 guards between 6'3 and 6'5.   Three guard offense.   More movement, more dribble drive.   Defensive rebounding  concerns me.

It isn't great, but a decent season can still happen.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2019, 03:09:18 PM »
Will totally miss Sam but Joey sucked and was always gonna be the underathletic slow guy who could not defend in the BE.  Was only a Freshman but would have slways been slow and underathletic.  Joey was overrated coming out of HS, prtorypical man amongst boys in HS but never a great college ppayer or pro, very unathletic
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2019, 03:13:43 PM »
Good. They should have played JAMAL CAIN MORE.

If anyone should be upset it is Jamal Cain, Bailey. He was a freshman. Cain sat behind two freshmen. So if anything he is the one who should be upset and is the main one who has something to gain here along with his buddy Greg.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2019, 03:19:28 PM »
Will totally miss Sam but Joey sucked and was always gonna be the underathletic slow guy who could not defend in the BE.  Was only a Freshman but would have slways been slow and underathletic.  Joey was overrated coming out of HS, prtorypical man amongst boys in HS but never a great college ppayer or pro, very unathletic

If Joey was any good, he'd have won BEast Freshman of the week six times.  Only five?  What a stiff.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 03:25:41 PM by StillAWarrior »

zcg2013

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2019, 03:23:58 PM »
Is it too early to say our defense should be vastly improved after losing two of our slower defenders...

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2019, 03:28:32 PM »

If that happens Wojo absolutely needs to be fired immediately no questions asked.
No Finish Line

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2019, 03:29:18 PM »
At this rate would not be surprised if they are scouring the AMU for eligible players,  markus, sacar, who knows who else might jump ship.

This program is in trouble. 
Time to cut ties with wojo
#wojohasnomojo
Calm down ....no one else is or should "jump ship." Once Markus did not declare for the NBA draft this was inevitable.

It would have been better had he declared for the NBA draft...actually. But he didn't...

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2019, 03:45:28 PM »
Good. They should have played JAMAL CAIN MORE.

If anyone should be upset it is Jamal Cain, Bailey. He was a freshman. Cain sat behind two freshmen. So if anything he is the one who should be upset and is the main one who has something to gain here along with his buddy Greg.

And he sat behind them them for good reason. Cain could barely hold on to the ball when he was in the game. Confidence completely shot. Maybe that's partially on the coach too.

dannyb334

• Walk-On
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2019, 04:12:08 PM »
Is it too early to say our defense should be vastly improved after losing two of our slower defenders...

*three of our slower defenders. Remember Heldt (as much as I love him) was slow too.

This team--with the right transfer--just got crazy athletic

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2019, 04:15:49 PM »
Once again, this assumes that playing time is they key issue in these decisions.  It might be; it might not.  But, if guys who are getting good minutes leave a team, I think it's fair to assume that playing time isn't what's driving them out.

Playing time can't be the issue. It's got to be more about personality, coaching, strategy, etc. Which would also explain some of the other exit scenarios we've seen under Wojo. Maybe the sales pitch didn't align with the actual product.

feedback