[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Next Season's Minutes  (Read 5398 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Next Season's Minutes
« on: April 10, 2019, 02:21:04 PM »
A number of posters have complained about having our best players playing too many minutes and the team wearing down to end the season, and listing one of their wishes for next season to be more depth to distribute minutes to more players so the top guys don't get worn out throughout the season.

I really don't see that as a problem for college basketball.  You aren't playing back to backs.  You don't have 35 year olds on the tail end of their careers.  These are 18-23 year old kids who get at least 40 hours of rest when you're facing win or go home situations.  Nova won 2 titles playing 7-8 guys and playing their top 3-4 guys 30+ mpg.  Virginia just won a title with only 7 players playing 10+ mpg, and the top 3 all playing 33+ mpg.  This is a total non issue.  The best players should be playing 30+ mpg.

So what do Scoopers expect for next season?  Personally I see it something like:

Markus 32 mpg
Sam 31 mpg
Joey 28 mpg
Koby 26 mpg
Sacar 22 mpg
Theo 20 mpg
Ed 17 mpg
Greg 12 mpg
Brendan 11 mpg

Ike/Cain/Dexter redshirting or unable to play (Ike injury)
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Marquette4life

• All American
Re: Next Season's Minutes
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 02:28:43 PM »
Brenden will be a big contributor

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 02:34:13 PM »
A number of posters have complained about having our best players playing too many minutes and the team wearing down to end the season, and listing one of their wishes for next season to be more depth to distribute minutes to more players so the top guys don't get worn out throughout the season.

I really don't see that as a problem for college basketball.  You aren't playing back to backs.  You don't have 35 year olds on the tail end of their careers.  These are 18-23 year old kids who get at least 40 hours of rest when you're facing win or go home situations.  Nova won 2 titles playing 7-8 guys and playing their top 3-4 guys 30+ mpg.  Virginia just won a title with only 7 players playing 10+ mpg, and the top 3 all playing 33+ mpg.  This is a total non issue.  The best players should be playing 30+ mpg.

So what do Scoopers expect for next season?  Personally I see it something like:

Markus 32 mpg
Sam 31 mpg
Joey 28 mpg
Koby 26 mpg
Sacar 22 mpg
Theo 20 mpg
Ed 17 mpg
Greg 12 mpg
Brendan 11 mpg

I don't disagree with too much of this. I think Brendan may get a few more minutes, and if so it will probably come from Sacar/Koby. I don't think Cain will redshirt.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 02:37:46 PM »
Brenden will be a big contributor

I don't disagree with too much of this. I think Brendan may get a few more minutes, and if so it will probably come from Sacar/Koby. I don't think Cain will redshirt.

Agreed, I just don't know where the minutes are going to come from.  The only thing I'm certain about is Joey, Sam, and Markus will all be around 30 mpg and I feel pretty confident Koby will be up there as well.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Shooter Flatch

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 02:39:28 PM »
I think it looks more like this:

Markus 31 mpg
Sam 30 mpg
Joey 25 mpg
Koby 21 mpg
Sacar 20 mpg
Theo 18 mpg
Ed 17 mpg
Greg 20 mpg
Brendan 18 mpg

I don’t see Jamal with significant minutes at this point. If he doesn’t redshirt, I hope I’m wrong and he steals 10 per game from someone.

I see a lot of potential lineups, including Joey sliding over to the 5 at times. Of course we know there will be injuries and surprises (good and bad) that will likely knock someone unexpected out of the mix.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 03:04:23 PM »
Tons of teams play 7 man rotations. This minute argument is dumb. Teams figured markus out wojo didbt adjust

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 03:34:36 PM »

Markus 32 mpg
Sam 31 mpg
Joey 28 mpg
Koby 26 mpg
Sacar 22 mpg
Theo 20 mpg
Ed 17 mpg
Greg 12 mpg
Brendan 11 mpg

Pretty good breakdown imo and what I think would be great for us to utilize our depth.

Potential Theo/Ed foul trouble could lead to crazier lineups that either increase the top guys minutes by a couple(Markus and Sam) or the bottom(Elliott and Bailey).
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 04:01:10 PM »
Tons of teams play 7 man rotations. This minute argument is dumb. Teams figured markus out wojo didbt adjust

And I think this argument is dumb. There were adjustments,  each team in the final four regular season games beat us in very different ways, and in all but the Murray State game MU had late leads. Did teams only figure Markus out for the last 5 minutes?

That being said,  I don't buy the played too many minutes argument either. The star player being injured argumentin the other hand makes some sense
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 04:14:22 PM »
I think Koby will get a few fewer minutes (around 20-22), while Brendan and Greg ought to get a few more. From my perspective, Brendan made some significant progress during the season and I think he plays a unique role on the roster.

Totally agree on your overall rationale and rotation cutoff.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 04:17:15 PM »
And I think this argument is dumb. There were adjustments,  each team in the final four regular season games beat us in very different ways, and in all but the Murray State game MU had late leads. Did teams only figure Markus out for the last 5 minutes?

That being said,  I don't buy the played too many minutes argument either. The star player being injured argumentin the other hand makes some sense

If wojo changed anything at all, it was what side of the court Theo came to set the patented pick for markus.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 06:03:39 PM »
Are people really going to suggest Anim gets less minutes again?

Same old story.

Last year there were projections that he would get less than 10 minutes despite playing 27mpg as a sophomore. Now as a junior he plays 30mpg and he’s going to drop again? And he’s going to play less than a new guy?

Hmmm. Okay. I don’t see it.

Edit: I’ll acknowledge that Wojo did drop Heldt’s minutes significantly based on talent, but I don’t think that is apples to apples.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 06:05:25 PM by MUCam »

MUfanatic45

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2019, 06:33:25 PM »

Same old story.

Last year there were projections that he would get less than 10 minutes despite playing 27mpg as a sophomore. Now as a junior he plays 30mpg and he’s going to drop again? And he’s going to play less than a new guy?

Edit: I’ll acknowledge that Wojo did drop Heldt’s minutes significantly based on talent, but I don’t think that is apples to apples.

Wade's has Sacar at 22 min. Is that really a significant drop?

If we are really a top 7 or better team with 2 new contributors joining. That minutes drop doesn't seem like much.

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2019, 08:10:12 AM »
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2830393-cbb-teams-getting-a-boost-in-2019-20-from-players-youve-forgotten-about#slide2

good to see koby on here

Haha,  they list Jalen Harris for Nevada but he announced he was transferring from Nevada a few days ago
TAMU

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2019, 08:11:14 AM »
Haha,  they list Jalen Harris for Nevada but he announced he was transferring from Nevada a few days ago
He said hes not forsure transferring
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 08:14:50 AM by GoldenEagle323 »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2019, 09:25:45 AM »
He said hes not forsure transferring

75% of transfers say they aren't for sure transferring. Most do. Maybe Harris won't but I woulda picked a different guy to highlight if I was the author
TAMU

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2019, 09:39:22 AM »
I think it looks more like this:

Markus 31 mpg
Sam 30 mpg
Joey 25 mpg
Koby 21 mpg
Sacar 20 mpg
Theo 18 mpg
Ed 17 mpg
Greg 20 mpg
Brendan 18 mpg

I don’t see Jamal with significant minutes at this point. If he doesn’t redshirt, I hope I’m wrong and he steals 10 per game from someone.

I see a lot of potential lineups, including Joey sliding over to the 5 at times. Of course we know there will be injuries and surprises (good and bad) that will likely knock someone unexpected out of the mix.

Joey better improve his defense to get 25 minutes. I think Brendon or even Jamal could steel some minutes from Joey especially if he is not scoring and just becomes a defensive liability.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2019, 09:45:32 AM »

Same old story.

I agree totally.

Sacar will get more minutes than people think. Defense and athleticism matter. If Koby is what we expect him to be - a real, starting PG - I look for Joey to become the 6th man who can come in with instant offense.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2019, 09:50:47 AM »
I agree totally.

Sacar will get more minutes than people think. Defense and athleticism matter. If Koby is what we expect him to be - a real, starting PG - I look for Joey to become the 6th man who can come in with instant offense.

Hmm.... maybe Markus as the sixth man? I know, not happening; but just an out of the box thought.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2019, 10:02:03 AM »
I agree totally.

Yea, I think that if Koby gets plugged into the starting PG role right away (not a given BTW), then Joey gets pushed to the bench rather than Sacar.  Three guard line-up gives us more flexibility on defense, and gives us better options coming off the bench (Greg could come in for any of Markus, Koby, or Sacar.  Brendan for any of those three plus Sam.  Joey for Sacar or Sam, and Ed for Theo of course).  Gives us a near like-for-like swap at every position in the event of possible foul trouble. 

Although TBH the only players that are locked into starting roles are Markus, Sam, and Theo (for the tip).  Everything else is, and should be, fluid. 
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2019, 10:49:48 AM »
I believe The Coaching staff will want Greg on the floor as much as possible. He was trending to be a starter/significant minutes last year before the injury.

Brendan adds a lot to the team and he will be heavily in the mix too.

I think the rotation strategy this year will be similar to what was employed in the 2016-17 season where we had 9 guys playing.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2019, 11:37:11 AM »
Now that we know Markus is back, here's my really rough guess:

Markus: 30
Sam: 30
Sacar: 25
Koby: 22
Joey: 22
Greg: 20
Theo: 18
Ed: 18
Bailey: 15
Eke: Benchwarmer minutes if healthy
Cain: Redshirt
Dexter: Redshirt
Hopefully a traditional transfer: Harvey? Duruji?

That's as balanced and as talented a roster as Wojo has ever assembled. Big question marks are Koby and Greg. If they can add the penetrating ability we were lacking this season....could mean really good things. I hope Eke is healthy. While I don't have the same enthusiasm as the milkman, it was a boon to have a guy like Matt for emergency center purposes. I'd like to see Wojo experiment with some 5 out lineups with Joey at the 5.
TAMU

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2019, 12:06:10 PM »
I assume we use the last schollie on a regular transfer, but a role player big that can come in and clean up the glass and be a shot changer in the paint when Theo is in the foul trouble would be great. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2019, 12:07:36 PM »
Now that we know Markus is back, here's my really rough guess:

Markus: 30
Sam: 30
Sacar: 25
Koby: 22
Joey: 22
Greg: 20
Theo: 18
Ed: 18
Bailey: 15
Eke: Benchwarmer minutes if healthy
Cain: Redshirt
Dexter: Redshirt
Hopefully a traditional transfer: Harvey? Duruji?

That's as balanced and as talented a roster as Wojo has ever assembled. Big question marks are Koby and Greg. If they can add the penetrating ability we were lacking this season....could mean really good things. I hope Eke is healthy. While I don't have the same enthusiasm as the milkman, it was a boon to have a guy like Matt for emergency center purposes. I'd like to see Wojo experiment with some 5 out lineups with Joey at the 5.

Looks about right to me.  If Wojo can convince Cain to redshirt and stay an extra year to play with his buddy Greg - man that would be awesome. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2019, 12:55:43 PM »
I agree totally.

I can totally see that.  Wojo is going to be deciding between Koby and Joey as his 5th starter.  My sincere hope is that Koby beats him out because it means that we'll be that much better.

feedback