[Today at 05:59:48 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:37:37 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by JakeBarnes
[Today at 04:41:29 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Sports Illustrated has MU 6th  (Read 3855 times)

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
Sports Illustrated has MU 6th
« on: April 10, 2019, 12:21:42 PM »
https://amp.si.com/college-basketball/2019/04/09/ncaa-basketball-rankings-early-top-25-kentucky-duke-michigan-state

I was driving yesterday when this came out, bit don't see it as a topic line so sorry if it was posted.

these experts need to listen to more Milwaukee talk radio callers instead of looking at irrelevant things like top 10 returning talent, the addition of 2 great experienced pgs so that Markus and Sam won't get worn down. We can't give in and enjoy one of the best teams in the country next year. A team cannot possibly be that good after getting beaten by Ja Morant - who may be better than all the other players but is not even as good as Zion. Some of the UVa people thought their program shouldn't fold after losing to a 16-seed, what idiots! We must stick together and stick it to the school by not buying tickets and also hold our breath until we pass out because we all know that is what forces schools to win a title. Don't give in! Don't enjoy the great program Wojo has built!  Don't waste your time watching a returning All-American and the smoothest shot in the country from Hauser. Stand strong in your misery and complain about Wojo instead!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 12:25:25 PM by auburnmarquette »
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Sports Illustrated has MU 6th
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 01:47:23 PM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 01:50:27 PM »
Marquette has as much returning talent as anyone.  With two 6'3 guards with experience added in.   Incremental improvements and good health and it could be fun.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 02:08:34 PM »
Marquette has as much returning talent as anyone.  With two 6'3 guards with experience added in.   Incremental improvements and good health and it could be fun.

Agreed. The crazy part is that I am still pretty bullish if M2N happens and Symir comes to campus in 2019. There is a lot of talent on this roster. It has the potential to be deep. Looking forward to enjoying the ride.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 02:13:36 PM »
The crazy part is that I am still pretty bullish if M2N happens and Symir comes to campus in 2019.

An entirely different dynamic.    As much as I share your enthusiasm about Torrence, two names keep hitting me in the head.    Quinerly, Grimes.       There is no guarantee that a freshman PG will come in and excel.     It can and may happen.    To have your happiness predicated on it happening is foolish. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 02:19:03 PM »
An entirely different dynamic.    As much as I share your enthusiasm about Torrence, two names keep hitting me in the head.    Quinerly, Grimes.       There is no guarantee that a freshman PG will come in and excel.     It can and may happen.    To have your happiness predicated on it happening is foolish.

Fair point. My thoughts were more on the "this is still a good team right now"--not top 10, but I'd put it at top 25 and isn't predicated (but benefits) from one very good player in MH. I don't expect Torrence to be a world beater as a frosh, but I could see him in the Ashton Hagans realm as well, but with a slightly better shot.

Look, I want MH back because I love what he brings to the team and think he can be even more dynamic in 2019-2020. I just don't share the doom and gloom of many if he decides his passion is pro ball.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 02:21:23 PM »
Fair point. My thoughts were more on the "this is still a good team right now"--not top 10, but I'd put it at top 25 and isn't predicated (but benefits) from one very good player in MH. I don't expect Torrence to be a world beater as a frosh, but I could see him in the Ashton Hagans realm as well, but with a slightly better shot.

Look, I want MH back because I love what he brings to the team and think he can be even more dynamic in 2019-2020. I just don't share the doom and gloom of many if he decides his passion is pro ball.
If Markus leaves and Symir reclassifies, I see MU about where they were in 18-19.    Starting as a fringe top 25 team with several weeks being ranked higher.    Not the end of the world, but not as good. 

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 06:27:32 PM »
Tennessee might be a good comparison.

In 2017-18, the Vols improved from 16-16 the previous season to win 26 games in a relative down year for the SEC (Kentucky and Florida were 10-8 and 11-7 in conference, respectively). Tennessee earned a 3 seed in the NCAA Tournament, but were upset in the 2nd round by 11 seed Loyola Chicago.

Tennessee returned virtually their entire lineup and entered the 2018-19 season with one of the most experienced teams in the country (including 2 seniors and 4 juniors among its top 6 players). They were ranked #6 in the preseason and even spent 4 weeks ranked #1. The Vols earned a 2 seed in the NCAA tournament and took Purdue to overtime in the Sweet 16 before falling 99-94.

If Markus returns, MU would have 4 seniors, a junior and a sophomore among its top 6 returning players. Plus junior Kobe, who some have said has been the third best player in practice this season. Plus Bailey, Elliott and Cain. That's a lot of experience.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 06:54:36 PM »

In 2017-18, the Vols improved from 16-16 the previous season to win 26 games in a relative down year for the SEC (Kentucky and Florida were 10-8 and 11-7 in conference, respectively). Tennessee earned a 3 seed in the NCAA Tournament, but were upset in the 2nd round by 11 seed Loyola Chicago.

Tennessee returned virtually their entire lineup and entered the 2018-19 season with one of the most experienced teams in the country (including 2 seniors and 4 juniors among its top 6 players). They were ranked #6 in the preseason and even spent 4 weeks ranked #1. The Vols earned a 2 seed in the NCAA tournament and took Purdue to overtime in the Sweet 16 before falling 99-94.

If Markus returns, MU would have 4 seniors, a junior and a sophomore among its top 6 returning players. Plus junior Kobe, who some have said has been the third best player in practice this season. Plus Bailey, Elliott and Cain. That's a lot of experience.

I assume then Marquettes value added would be super high with all that experience

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 09:14:17 PM »

Admiral Schofield was not the shot-blocker that Theo is, but the dude could score. I knew he averaged around 17ppg, but I had no idea how little foul trouble the guy got in...he averaged under 2.5 fouls per game. I know Theo will work hard this summer. He will learn to forego only the risky blocks that lead to whistles. He just might improve his post game as well. If either of these things happen, good....if both happen, look out!
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 08:45:20 AM »
Come on guys, we are way over rated. We are not athletic enough. Perhaps 20-15 rank is about right.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 08:56:37 AM »
Come on guys, we are way over rated. We are not athletic enough. Perhaps 20-15 rank is about right.

I don't think we're significantly less athletic than Wisconsin during their back to back FF Runner up years.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 08:56:47 AM »

So 9 spots is "way overrated"?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 09:21:01 AM »
I get your argument, but I disagree.  Marquette is returning 8 contributors from a 24 win season.  Add two experienced guards with size.  To the objective outsider, that looks like more than most people are bringing back.   The season is 6 months away, but it is completely rational for MU to be ranked highly.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2019, 09:44:45 AM »

I think this critique is over-used and not specific. So, who exactly is not athletic enough on our team? Markus is a better athlete than people give him credit for. Sure he doesn’t have a Wade-like first step, but who does? You can’t dance and dribble around the perimeter without having considerable athletic prowess. Kobe didn’t average double figs at Utah State with little athleticism. Greg? Brendan? Are you critiquing Sam and Joey’s footspeed? Maybe on defense, yes. I’ll bet they improve that area.  Theo and Ed aren’t going to dunk from the free throw line, but Theo couldn’t patrol the paint on D without having athletic ability, nor would Ed be able to position himself for rebounds and put backs without considerable athleticism. Sacar gets to the rim and can throw down while being guarded. So, check. I think people watch freaks like Zion Williamson and make unfair comparisons.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2019, 10:25:55 AM »
Admiral Schofield was not the shot-blocker that Theo is, ......

I don't know of any guards that are. :-\

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2019, 10:34:47 AM »

I don't know of any guards that are. :-\

Oops, I should’ve watched more Vols games this year. I saw Admiral play a couple games at Zion Benton HS and with his size, he was often utilized on the interior on both sides of the ball.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2019, 03:59:44 PM »
Oops, I should’ve watched more Vols games this year. I saw Admiral play a couple games at Zion Benton HS and with his size, he was often utilized on the interior on both sides of the ball.

You're right - he was bigger & stronger than just about everyone he faced in HS.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2019, 04:07:02 PM »
You're right - he was bigger & stronger than just about everyone he faced in HS.

Thank you for waking me up. Go to ADMIRAL SCHOFIELD NBA SCOUTING REPORT website and watch the video of him staying in front of a quick GA Tech ball-handler with wicked foot speed and then getting the steal, run the floor like a blur, and almost get the bucket. Crazy. The anti-Hauser.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2019, 04:35:38 PM »

Well, admittedly trying to turn this into a positive, but our two least athletic players are now gone. Can we do a skills for athleticism trade-off and hold our preseason ranking?

Part of me felt that Sam’s hip still may not be right. I’m very disappointed in the Hausers, but this really is an opportunity to get more athletic in a hurry.

feedback