[Today at 06:46:15 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: This was the UConn I was worried about 6 weeks ago  (Read 7060 times)

tower912

• All American
This was the UConn I was worried about 6 weeks ago
« on: February 07, 2023, 07:39:11 PM »
1.   Longer at every position.  As quick at most.  Deep bench.  Able to stay in front of MU without help.   Able to bump Oso off his spot and completely taking away the drop step.    So, stay home on the shorter smaller players, bet you can contest and disrupt at the rim, while not helping off of 3 point shooters.   With bully ball on the offensive end.    Well done.   
2.   UConn made lots of 3's.    MU, ummm.............    None in the first half by anybody not named..... 
3.   Ben Gold had himself a stretch.  Probably could have played more. 
4.   Foul trouble aplenty.   Yep, UConn got home cooking early.     It is what it is.   A complete non-factor when a team plays poorly. 
5.   0 so,  0 Max, j0plin in the first half.     Nothing else needs to be said.    And it didn't really improve.   Difficult to win if all 3 play this poorly. 
6.   Sean had himself a stretch.    Glad he could get  minutes to get the starters some rest.
7.   I am pretty sure this isn't going to help the defensive ratings.    Or the NET.    Or the polls.   
8.   I am glad that Shaka got so mad at them he made them press full court.   Forced them to compete.    Shame he couldn't get them to rebound. 
9.  Nobody got seriously hurt.    Except ego and pride. 
10.   MU got punched in the mouth.    The question now is how to they bounce back on Saturday.     

So, MU stinks up the joint and the trolls come out.    Why on earth is anyone upset?  The guy who had everybody wound up was only saying a negative to the extreme version of the same stuff that has been talked about in lots of threads.    Other teams making adjustments, MU hasn't played as well the last couple of games....   tiptoeing around being afraid the team will be repeating history.
So, it is a fair point of discussion until it isn't.    If MU wins the games it should, and beats Xavier in the toss up next Wednesday, the trolls go away.     Pretty simple.     

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Farley36

• All American
Re: This was the UConn I was worried about 6 weeks ago
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2023, 07:40:13 PM »
I think “UConn’t stop the February fade, you can only hope to contain it” was the better choice.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2023, 07:42:01 PM »
Rebounding has to improve no matter what. Offense needs to develop a counter punch because the book is out. Oso simply is too small to not be able to shoot a lick. Omax gets a ton of cardio out there. Need Kolek to score with confidence like he’s shown he can do.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2023, 07:42:10 PM »
KenPom has had them Top 10 all year and 6 currently.  UCONN is good, very good.  But awesome prediction from 6 weeks ago thinking they were good.  Pat on the back for you Tower.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2023, 07:42:27 PM »
Not great but all things considered I’m not too upset about it - UCONN is a good team (thought I don’t think nearly as good as we made them look). Hold serve in the games we need to and we’re fine. However if this is a pattern developing…that’s problematic

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2023, 07:42:40 PM »
Teams have adjusted and figured out how best to play us. Now it’s time for Shaka to adjust back. And we really need OMax to figure things out and get his groove back. Without him playing his best we aren’t winning a game in the tournament.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2023, 07:43:09 PM »
1.   Longer at every position.  As quick at most.  Deep bench.  Able to stay in front of MU without help.   Able to bump Oso off his spot and completely taking away the drop step.    So, stay home on the shorter smaller players, bet you can contest and disrupt at the rim, while not helping off of 3 point shooters.   With bully ball on the offensive end.    Well done.   
2.   UConn made lots of 3's.    MU, ummm.............    None in the first half by anybody not named..... 
3.   Ben Gold had himself a stretch.  Probably could have played more. 
4.   Foul trouble aplenty.   Yep, UConn got home cooking early.     It is what it is.   A complete non-factor when a team plays poorly. 
5.   0 so,  0 Max, j0plin in the first half.     Nothing else needs to be said.    And it didn't really improve.   Difficult to win if all 3 play this poorly. 
6.   Sean had himself a stretch.    Glad he could get  minutes to get the starters some rest.
7.   I am pretty sure this isn't going to help the defensive ratings.    Or the NET.    Or the polls.   
8.   I am glad that Shaka got so mad at them he made them press full court.   Forced them to compete.    Shame he couldn't get them to rebound. 
9.  Nobody got seriously hurt.    Except ego and pride. 
10.   MU got punched in the mouth.    The question now is how to they bounce back on Saturday.     

So, MU stinks up the joint and the trolls come out.    Why on earth is anyone upset?  The guy who had everybody wound up was only saying a negative to the extreme version of the same stuff that has been talked about in lots of threads.    Other teams making adjustments, MU hasn't played as well the last couple of games....   tiptoeing around being afraid the team will be repeating history.
So, it is a fair point of discussion until it isn't.    If MU wins the games it should, and beats Xavier in the toss up next Wednesday, the trolls go away.     Pretty simple.   

Terrible performance.  Burn the tape and move onto the next game and get a win
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2023, 07:43:15 PM »
Team looks insanely slow. Bad legs and bad shooting.

Not sure I agree with the press down 20 given how slow and tired everyone looked to start the game
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2023, 07:45:59 PM »
Not surprised by this one.  Concern is we need both Oso and Omax to play at high levels and both have struggled in recent games and certainly in this one.  My biggest concern is Oso seems to have lost confidence.  Needs to come out strong on Saturday.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2023, 07:46:02 PM »
Positive Takeaways….

1.Sean Jones back and played pretty damn well
2. Won the final 30 minutes I believe
3. Gold showing more and more improvement.

That is all; flush it and get right in DC and prep for a monster next week…..

MU rah!!!!

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2023, 07:46:15 PM »
An absolute piss poor effort on the boards. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2023, 07:47:25 PM »
Marquette got punched early and never recovered. We never handled their physicality, lost our poise, and were Helter Skelter all night.  Regardless, we will bounce back. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2023, 07:48:36 PM »
An absolute piss poor effort on the boards.

Absolutely brutal.  Oso did not play with the proper force or intensity

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2023, 07:48:56 PM »
KenPom has had them Top 10 all year and 6 currently.  UCONN is good, very good.  But awesome prediction from 6 weeks ago thinking they were good.  Pat on the back for you Tower.

I was worried they would blow MU out and MU would not have an answer 6 weeks ago.   Without searching, I think I said something like  MU couldn't win at UConn and just hoped no one got hurt.   

This is the UConn that started 14-0 and was undefeated.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2023, 07:49:52 PM »
Team looks insanely slow. Bad legs and bad shooting.

Not sure I agree with the press down 20 given how slow and tired everyone looked to start the game

I agree with your analysis. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2023, 07:53:08 PM »
Wake up call. I’m confident they’ll respond.

I don’t buy the “they’re tired” stuff. They should be no more tired than every other team in the conference.

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2023, 07:53:18 PM »
Absolutely brutal.  Oso did not play with the proper force or intensity

I think our few game offensive regression is directly tied to Oso’s play on that end - we need him sharp on that side to keep the flow going - lotta season left and confident in our guys ….

lostpassword

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2023, 07:54:03 PM »
Positive Takeaways….

1.Sean Jones back and played pretty damn well
2. Won the final 30 minutes I believe
3. Gold showing more and more improvement.

That is all; flush it and get right in DC and prep for a monster next week…..

MU rah!!!!

One more: the final score is the closest I think we got it in the second half.  So there's that.  It won't look as bad in 5 years as it really was.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2023, 07:55:05 PM »
I think our few game offensive regression is directly tied to Oso’s play on that end - we need him sharp on that side to keep the flow going - lotta season left and confident in our guys ….

We will bounce back.  This was a dreadful performance but give UCONN credit. 

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2023, 07:55:25 PM »
Said this in 2018-2019 season after the loss to Villanova (on a different board), if this same team continues to show up, you may not see another MU victory this year. Took a lot of crap for it  that team only beat St Johns.

Let’s hope this same team does not show up.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2023, 07:56:42 PM »
Not surprised by the loss. UConn is legit team, needed the win and playing on the road. If they lost by 15 or whatever and played well it would be more troubling to me. They shot like 6th graders and no rebounding and should have lost by 40.

Happy to see Ben get in some quality minutes and see Sean back in action. They needed to play flawless tonight to win and that they played as a big ask.

I will let the mopes control the conversation tonight and for a few days. Going to watch the State of the Union and hear what I can learn about the balloon.

Hope the mopes and trolls enjoy their night. There will be better days ahead.

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2023, 07:57:01 PM »
Said this in 2018-2019 season after the loss to Villanova (on a different board), if this same team continues to show up, you may not see another MU victory this year. Took a lot of crap for it  that team only beat St Johns.

Shhhh..don’t say this.  You’ll be called names, be accused or trolling, and have the triggered snowflake mob calling for your head.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2023, 07:58:11 PM »

You're enjoying this, hey Point?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 09:47:30 AM by rocky_warrior »

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2023, 07:58:31 PM »
One more: the final score is the closest I think we got it in the second half.  So there's that.  It won't look as bad in 5 years as it really was.

Yep, that’s what I was going with, we were down 16 at around the 10 minute mark in the first half and lost by less, so, as crapty as it looks, we basically got rained on for 5 minutes and then played fairly decently off at their place and won 3/4 of the game - not saying we would’ve won without the hot start shooting, mainly because of the 20 offensive rebounds and our poor shooting and assist results, but all things considered I thought they responded pretty well from that point forward

TFlegend

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2023, 07:58:34 PM »
I honestly can't believe this is happening again.  I really really didn't want to subscribe to the Feb Fade theory, but here we are.  The offense has been atrocious the last three games.  To go from #1 is offensive efficiency to what we see now is head scratching.  Why all the iso ball?  What happened to the movement, both ball and player?  Are we the only team that can't adjust the second time through the Big East schedule?  Omax is just out there getting cardio and Oso is doing only slightly more than that.  Those guys were impactful in Dec/Jan. 

Please use the Gtown game to snap out of it.