[Today at 06:46:15 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU will be easy to coach the next few days  (Read 19933 times)

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
Re: MU will be easy to coach the next few days
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2018, 10:20:48 PM »
I could have sworn I heard Wojo say that Marcus' shot at the pros is at the point so he owes it to him to let him develop at that position.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2018, 10:21:28 PM »
Tonight was painful. We were forcing the ball early. Marcus wasn't reading the defense and all in all we just looked like we were not ready to play and certainly were not up to the challenge before us.

Consolation is we have a long history of laying eggs early in the season. Gosh, I remember that Vanderbilt game a few years back at the Bradley Center. Or the Iowa game.

The lessons:

1) Forget this hero ball crap. Play as a team or sit on the bench. I don't care if your name is Hauser, Howard or Heldt.

2) To make the NCAA and be a force in it, we're going to have to win games like this as the season moves on. Figure out why the team lost its poise, fix it and move on.

3) Misery loves company. Villanova had their butts handed to them tonight too. And Kentucky was decapitated by Duke the other day and barely got past Southern Illinois. Topsy turvey season so far.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2018, 10:24:12 PM »
If we are going to do an honest assessment of what we have seen so far, we will be worse this year than last year.  We don't have one player talented enough to get to the rim for an easy basket.  Our one real skill, three point shooting is worse this year without Rowsey.  We are not incorporating any zone still (other than brief stretches).  We don't have a true point guard.  It is scary to think what the state of the team will be when Howard and Hauser graduate.  We are in real trouble.

How do you figure?

Last season we beat our exhibition team by 2, this year we beat them by 43.
Last season we beat our first cupcake by 21, this year we beat a better first cupcake by 25
Last season our second cupcake took us to overtime, this year we beat our second cupcake by 33
Last season we got blown out at home by a Big 10 team, this season we got blown out on the road by a Big 10 team

Tonight was discouraging. I don't believe it is our new norm any more than I believed that Purdue, Lindenwood, or Eastern Illinois were a new norms last season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2018, 10:26:10 PM »
How do you figure?

Last season we beat our exhibition team by 2, this year we beat them by 43.
Last season we beat our first cupcake by 21, this year we beat a better first cupcake by 25
Last season our second cupcake took us to overtime, this year we beat our second cupcake by 33
Last season we got blown out at home by a Big 10 team, this season we got blown out on the road by a Big 10 team

Tonight was discouraging. I don't believe it is our new norm any more than I believed that Purdue, Lindenwood, or Eastern Illinois were a new norms last season.

Last season we had Froling waiting on the bench to save the season.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2018, 10:29:32 PM »
Cupcake games mean nothing. This was our first test. We have Kansas, Kansas State, Wisconsin, Buffalo and Tenn. as meaningful games. How many of those can we win?
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2018, 10:31:49 PM »
Cupcake games mean nothing. This was our first test. We have Kansas, Kansas State, Wisconsin, Buffalo and Tenn. as meaningful games. How many of those can we win?

They mean less. But not nothing. This was a bad night. Future nights will be better.

To answer your question, four would be the max IMHO. I'm expecting three but could be four if things bounce our way.
TAMU

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2018, 10:33:41 PM »
Most disappointing loss since DePaul last season. (not too many games since though). Yeesh. We were completely out of it after the first 2-3 minutes. Toughness continues to be the achillies heel of the Wojo era. I damn near blew my own head off when one guy on IU got his own rebound two times in a row. We continue to not be capable of playing defense without fouling. The guys on IU just kept having wide open lanes straight to the basket.

Marquette looked confused on offense which was weird. We were forcing up shots and not trying to find better/open shots. I didn't like it at all. Seemed like we really had to grind it out to make a basket.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 10:35:31 PM by cheese ball chaser »

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2018, 10:40:23 PM »
So many irritating/disappointing facets to this game.

Opponent BOOB plays lead all to often to a layup.

All the height/length/depth doesn't seem to have done anything to prevent layup drills.

As for JC, agree with ATL, see "Guards" thread.

For all the badmouthing of the B10 (on this board) TAMU laid out the facts

The offense is stagnant. The ball gets passed around the perimeter, almost all the action takes place outside of the 3-pt. arc, and people are STANDING AROUND!! How many cutters scored for IU? Who's cutting on MU?

TAMU pointed out that Markus cut his TO's after the first few minutes, but those prayers from downtown should count as TO's - they're the first pass on an opponent's break.

All the attention to D looks pretty silly when the first real team you see is in the 90's.

Long way to go. Wojo is going to say we'll get better (he can't say we're young any more).
Let's see how they pull it together. There's a lot of ball left to be played.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2018, 10:45:35 PM »
A better game from Morrow wouldn't have gotten MU a win tonight

If by "better" you mean equivalent to a game by Wilt Chamberlin in his prime I agree. But weren't we down by 30 or so at one time? We were out quicked, out hustled and out smarted at every position tonight. #Morrow no matta

Sorry, Dish - read "wouldn't as "would". My bad.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 10:56:52 PM by Lennys Tap »

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2018, 10:50:31 PM »
I am a Wojo supporter.

I genuinely have no idea how he makes it through this year. We are not a team where walkons get to play against us. Today we were that team.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2018, 10:51:29 PM »
I really think cain should be starting over bailey, cain just tries to go for a steal everytime his guy has the ball but he can learn.

Overall this was a game that humbled us, a number next to the teams name doesnt mean jack unless you can continue to win and we better find a way to keep winning. Prepare for kansas

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2018, 10:55:17 PM »
I am a Wojo supporter.

I genuinely have no idea how he makes it through this year. We are not a team where walkons get to play against us. Today we were that team.

And today Villanova was that team. Everyone plays that role every once in awhile. If it becomes a habit this season, then yes Wojo will be gone.
TAMU

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2018, 11:04:28 PM »
Chartouney played well tonight, solid intial line of defense, moved the ball on offense, can actuaaly dribble.  If chartouney starts we are not  down 15 in first 5 minutes.  Yes he struggled in the first couple of games but Marcus has always been a terrible PG.
Matt heldt should be playing over morrow, morrow is bad at everything.  No size, no athleticism, no skill.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2018, 11:05:09 PM »
Chartouney played well tonight, solid intial line of defense, moved the ball on offense, can actuaaly dribble.  If chartouney starts we are not  down 15 in first 5 minutes.  Yes he struggled in the first couple of games but Marcus has always been a terrible PG.
Matt heldt should be playing over morrow, morrow is bad at everything.  No size, no athleticism, no skill.
Chartouny at least needs to take a shot... 0-0 fg 0-0 ft

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2018, 11:10:04 PM »
And today Villanova was that team. Everyone plays that role every once in awhile. If it becomes a habit this season, then yes Wojo will be gone.

I realize I am partly knee jerk. But Nova won the NC and lost multiple top players to the NBA/graduation. We lost 1 player and got blown out like a d3 warmup team. This sucks.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2018, 11:14:14 PM »
Chartouny at least needs to take a shot... 0-0 fg 0-0 ft

I think that will come.  turning the ball over the first three times down the court vecause you cannot dribble is worse than not shooting.  Also marcus cannot see the court nor can he stop dribble penetration.  Cartouney does both well.  Phinisee, a freshman tore marcus up
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2018, 11:15:36 PM »
also cain needs more minutes... led in rebounds 4 def 3 off boards

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2018, 11:37:05 PM »
Markus doesn't trust anyone but Sam. His mindset is find Sam or shoot himself. Missed a wide open Joey for a bad contested three, was constantly shot hunting instead of running the offense. If Chartouny can't run alongside him or Markus can't defer at times, it will be a long season.

yep

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2018, 11:46:55 PM »
I realize I am partly knee jerk. But Nova won the NC and lost multiple top players to the NBA/graduation. We lost 1 player and got blown out like a d3 warmup team. This sucks.

If IU is a d3 warmup team then MU is in huge trouble

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2018, 11:55:48 PM »
A lot of the posts here are as embarrassing as the loss.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2018, 02:27:11 AM »
Just made the 200 mile trip back to my parents house after the game. The only silver lining: assembly hall makes the Bradley center look like the fiserv forum. What. A. Dump.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2018, 02:37:05 AM »
A lot of the posts here are as embarrassing as the loss.

We were ranked for the first time in a super long time. Expectations for both the newcomers and the full team were very high. We thought we had improved our achilles heel from prior seasons.

Then we got absolutely throttled in a primetime game.

People are justifiably upset over this loss. Hopefully this is as bad as it gets for the year, but it's normal to be angry and vent after this kind of performance.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2018, 05:49:54 AM »
Bailey Morrow and Chartouny are disappointing so far.

Agree. All three are playing poorly.  So far, it seems that our best line up may be Howard, Sam, Joey, Theo and Cain or Elliot.  Tough whipping last night.  Still numb.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2018, 06:03:52 AM »
After a few hours of sleep I realized I'm most disappointed that we had three players from their  team in foul trouble at half time and barely capitalized on that. We by the time Fitz got his 4th the game was lost. We come out and attack and it's possible we come back.
Maigh Eo for Sam

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2018, 06:15:36 AM »
We were outclassed in every aspect of the game. I suppose the good news is we've got a chance to redeem ourselves in these next few weeks. I think we'll have a pretty good idea of what we are and where we're going by the time the Bucky game wraps.

feedback