[Today at 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[Today at 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 12:46:07 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Buzz Hates Money: A Revisionist History  (Read 22857 times)

vogue65

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] Buzz Hates Money: A Revisionist History
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2017, 03:56:01 PM »

The PT article was less a criticism of Buzz and more a criticism of how the media portrays him.

Good point, rather nuanced, it did however open the flood gates of Buzz hate, again.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2017, 03:59:54 PM »
I thought I knew the hillbilly culture, that is until I  read Hillbilly Elegy.   Hay, maybe she is a whore. 
Seriously, without the rest of the story, BOT, Williams, the university president, the unproven allegations, I side with Buzz.
Why not take a shot at a gang of thugs who just fired you?  I  suppose I lack "class".

"Don't call people hillbillies, that's classless and offensive!"

"The administration is a bunch of thugs!"

Classic.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2017, 04:01:57 PM »
Good point, rather nuanced, it did however open the flood gates of Buzz hate, again.

It is OK for people not to like him.  There are a number of legitimate reasons why people don't.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2017, 04:14:59 PM »
I thought I knew the hillbilly culture, that is until I  read Hillbilly Elegy.   Hay, maybe she is a whore. 
Seriously, without the rest of the story, BOT, Williams, the university president, the unproven allegations, I side with Buzz.
Why not take a shot at a gang of thugs who just fired you?  I  suppose I lack "class".

what unproven allegations? Because if you're referring to the assault cases then you have your head in the sand.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2017, 04:34:57 PM »
Not to mention that he likes to take underprivileged kids and act as a father figure for them.  He likes high risk challenges, my hats off to him.  O.K., he has his faults, in sum, he is more of a man than I.

only when cameras are around and he can make sure his buddy Dodd reports on it. Nothing he does is genuine and not for his own advancement.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2017, 05:24:29 PM »

You pick the strangest things in this forum to get your knickers in a twist. The angst is almost.......intentional.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2017, 06:04:21 PM »
Here we go again, that is why I  have had you on ignore for a very long time.   I  suggest you reread your serenity prayer and try and discern it's inner meaning. 

I'll go even further, I  love Buzz, if you prefer I call the former university administration a circus of clowns to a gang of thugs, fine.  With that I'll cut you off, again, and say good night from Italy, buono sera.

Someone had me on ignore?  I'm honored!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2017, 06:28:26 PM »
Buzz's wife scours it he interwebs daily to find stuff written about him.......

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2017, 06:32:10 PM »
But Buzzcut and run is a very humble grasshopper, don't you know?

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2017, 07:10:41 PM »
Here we go again, that is why I  have had you on ignore for a very long time.   I  suggest you reread your serenity prayer and try and discern it's inner meaning. 

I'll go even further, I  love Buzz, if you prefer I call the former university administration a circus of clowns to a gang of thugs, fine.  With that I'll cut you off, again, and say good night from Italy, buono sera.
Here's how i take the whole "Hillbilly" moniker: 
In my 20's i worked for a lawn and garden equipment manufacturer and had to address the national sales directors.  the midwest director was a gent named Purd who loved to talk about how he got his name because his grandpa offered $40 to keep the family name going, played up the 'country bumpkin' image, and proclaimed during my presentation that "i thought my poop smelled like apple butter" - I had never heard of apple butter BUT during the break i asked him if he wanted me to bring up his East Coast boarding school or Princeton education to the group.  He was very supportive of the next part of the presentation.

Buzz plays the hillbilly/bumpkin because he's smart and it works - he's exactly Purd without the Princeton education

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2017, 07:21:49 PM »
I don't mean this in the wrong way, but most people are gullible idiots. To take advantage of that... bad or smart & reasonable? Dunno.

Buzz would throw out numbers, and people would say he was a savant, but early on he said the early signing period was 7 days instead of 8... I understood things a lot better from there on out.

He likes and appreciates numbers. He's not a great numbers guy.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2017, 07:37:42 PM »
I probably started the Hillbilly monicker on this board. And I Make no apology for it. I grew up in arguably the Bubba or Hillbilly capital of the world and the only one on this board who probably knows Hillbillies as well as I do is Chick.

Buzz has good qualities. I don't doubt it. And there are some fine hillbillies too. But my experience with hill people is they are myopic and outright fearful of culture and ideas not their own. Sounds to me like why Buzz left.

That said, I despise Buzz because of the way he went out. It was a divorce and in a divorce case, a classy litigant does not call his ex-wife a f**king whore on the way out the door. I know the Good book tells me I should the turn the other cheek, but here, when you mess with my Warriors, God will understand, I hope!
I have a lot of experience in hillbilly culture have done business in it for years. Buzz is not a Hillbilly ,He is a classic East Texas snake oil salesman , a much different breed.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2017, 07:42:04 PM »
His Twitter page was changed to VT colors before it was publicly announced that he was taking the VT job.

The guy is a media whore, plain and simple. He didn't care about MU and the alumni. I was at Circles event where he wouldn't talk to any of us there before hand, did his little "aw shucks" shtick and then ran out before the end of the event. Never mind 400 people were there just to meet him. Glad he's gone and every remnant of his time here is now gone too.

I've never gotten the criticism of the pin. If we hired Shaka and he was on CBS the next day, we'd all love the pin. He was their coach at that point he should rep them.

I enjoyed the article. He's really been full of it when he's been talking about taking the job. Buzz did great things here, but it's easy now to wonder how long he'd be able to sustain it. We all worried about him retiring young. I think now I'm seeing he has a tough time when he's not the underdog and it will be interesting to see if he can have sustained success at VT. Honestly, he's already stayed here longer than I expected.

I'm glad we have Wojo. Less drama and fits in very well with the university and administration. We just need him to keep progressing as a coach and I think we will be in fine shape.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2017, 08:38:47 PM »
Lots of butt hurt, cynicism and even outright hate by people on this board who started their lives miles ahead of Buzz and are now are far, far behind. If "the hillbilly" gave you guys a moment's thought he'd have a good laugh. He doesn't.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2017, 08:39:51 PM »
Buzz will be at Va Tech for quite a while. He likes to build things. First he took the VPI  program from dumpster fire status to tournament level. He still has to sustain the tournament level status and then he has a long hill to climb to be in top 25 status and then from their to top 15 status. ACC is the right conference platform for him at this juncture of his career. Once he does everything he needs to do at VPI he can get one last big money hit out of a desperate fallen blue blood.

Except for UNO

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2017, 10:43:05 PM »
Lots of butt hurt, cynicism and even outright hate by people on this board who started their lives miles ahead of Buzz and are now are far, far behind. If "the hillbilly" gave you guys a moment's thought he'd have a good laugh. He doesn't.

Some people measure where people's lives are at in dollars.  Others don't.  To each their own.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2017, 10:51:38 PM »

I'd assume most of us sleep better at night knowing we didn't aid in a sexual assault cover up.
Maigh Eo for Sam

JD

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2017, 11:28:35 PM »
I'd assume most of us sleep better at night knowing we didn't aid in a sexual assault cover up.

Preach.

Awh shucks, I used to wear my one suit I owned, and went to the NCAA tournament with 1 penny left in my pocket, and hand out resumes until I got hired...

Wanna know what love is? Ask those boys in that locker room.  A lot of them never have been loved.

F*** Buzz.  Guys a snake, and I'm thrilled he's gone.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2017, 05:22:55 AM »
Yes, it's time to bury the hatchet.  Could be that old Buzz reads some of the vitriol spewed on MUScoop and is just pushing back a little.   

I'm hoping this is a joke because if you.think it's legitimate to repeatedly mislead in national media because of something you read on an internet message board posted by a bunch of fools.....that would be just sad
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2017, 07:26:28 AM »

That's...uh...odd.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2017, 07:29:08 AM »

If Buzz did now what he did then, in a post-PSU, post-Baylor world, he would be lucky to have his career.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2017, 07:32:50 AM »

Lenny is to Buzz as Chicos is to Crean. Pretty funny actually
Bring back FFP!!!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2017, 08:08:31 AM »
Lenny is to Buzz as Chicos is to Crean. Pretty funny actually

I'm going to start getting crazy girlfriend all over Wojo when Elliot commits.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2017, 08:09:42 AM »
I'll never forget when he showed up on TV, like the day after he left Marquette, wearing a Vtech pin on his shirt.

Yep, that was twisting the knife IMO.
Have some patience, FFS.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2017, 08:11:45 AM »

If Buzz did now what he did then, in a post-PSU, post-Baylor world, he would be lucky to have his career.

This is correct, though to be fair it feels like Baylor's kind of getting away with it so maybe we're wrong. Either for the guy that preaches about revealing character, he doesn't particularly like when his is revealed
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."