'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Charles Matthews chooses UK  (Read 29933 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Charles Matthews chooses UK
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2014, 09:36:13 AM »
Bullseye bros just tweeted that Marquette was his runner up and he knows that for a fact. Ugh.

So, he's likely to transfer back here, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2014, 09:37:05 AM »
So, he's likely to transfer back here, aina?

Just ask JP Tokoto.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2014, 09:39:31 AM »
Norm, what would be interesting to see is how many of these are in-state (or local) versus out of state.  For instance, Wisconsin's one recruit is Sam Dekker.  Let me go out on a limb here and say that if Dekker grew up in California, Wisconsin's not going to get him.

That makes a difference.  And probably why we were Matthew's #2 and why we are in it for Stone.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2014, 09:40:34 AM »
Bullseye bros just tweeted that Marquette was his runner up and he knows that for a fact. Ugh.

Could be a good sign if Matthews and Stone were thinking about being a package deal.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2014, 09:40:53 AM »
Norm, what would be interesting to see is how many of these are in-state (or local) versus out of state.  For instance, Wisconsin's one recruit is Sam Dekker.  Let me go out on a limb here and say that if Dekker grew up in California, Wisconsin's not going to get him.

That makes a difference.  And probably why we were Matthew's #2 and why we are in it for Stone.
A lot of the SEC schools' top 20 recruits were from in-state, as well as others. It does help being the home state public university.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2014, 09:42:50 AM »

Could be a good sign if Matthews and Stone were thinking about being a package deal.

Would be an even better sign if Matthews does in fact reclassify.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2014, 09:50:19 AM »

Hey, that means that we finished ahead of Michigan State, Kansas, and Illinois.  I can't think of when that has ever happened before.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

ecompt

• All American
Re: Charles Matthews chooses UK :(
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2014, 10:11:02 AM »
I'm starting to have my doubts that we will ever land a top 15 recruit. This kid went to a catholic school in chicago. If we couldn't get him I dont see us ever getting one, as I thought this was our best chance at an out of state kid. Oh well, I still think JJJ is gonna be a stud!!

We will have a very hard time ever getting a kid who has an offer from UK. No classes, no papers to write, 24/7 chef service in a private dorm, perks (cough, cough). Who wouldn't take that?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2014, 10:14:36 AM »
Okay, I looked real quick at where the top 20 recruits from each of the last 5 recruiting classes on RSCI end up going to, and unless you're a true "blue blood" program, with some exceptions, it is hard to recruit these types of players. Here's the ranking of schools with the number of their top 20 recruits over the past 5 recruiting cycles (not including the incoming classes for next year):

Kentucky - 19
North Carolina - 6
Arizona - 6
Duke - 6
Kansas - 5
Florida - 5
Texas - 5
Memphis - 4
UCLA - 3
Baylor - 3
Pitt - 3
Indiana - 2
Arkansas - 2
Oklahoma State - 2
Providence - 2
Michigan State - 2
NC State - 2
Syracuse - 2
Washington - 2
Ohio State - 2
Villanova - 2

LSU, UTEP, Cal, UNLV, Wisconsin, Georgia, Oregon, Tennessee, Missouri, Georgia Tech, Mississippi State, Cincinnati, Oklahoma, Kansas State, UConn and Florida State have all landed one top 20 recruit in the past 5 recruiting cycles.

And this also shows that getting top 20 recruits isn't necessary or sufficient for post-season success.  MU has done better in recent NCAAs than most of the teams on the list, without getting a single top 20 recruit.  Look at Texas - 5 top 20 players, and not a single Sweet Sixteen since 2008.  Or Memphis, with 4 top 20s, and its last Sweet Sixteen in 2009.

Not a single player on the list for MU, or Butler, or Wichita State, or VCU....

Don't get me wrong - I'd love for one of these guys (Stone?) to come to MU.  But I also think a coach like Buzz can generally do extremely well consistently recruiting guys in the 50-100 range.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2014, 10:23:51 AM »
We will have a very hard time ever getting a kid who has an offer from UK. No classes, no papers to write, 24/7 chef service in a private dorm, perks (cough, cough). Who wouldn't take that?

Exactly! It's surprising how many people that don't believe that. Too many perks over there for top recruits. Milwaukee needs to produce its own top recruit then Marquette needs to butter his bread.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2014, 10:26:29 AM »
He probably wanted to play more than 5-10 MPG as a Freshmen...

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2014, 10:32:42 AM »

I'm confused.  Are you stupid enough to believe what you just posted, or are you just saying crap that you know isn't true because you are frustrated that Buzz doesn't evaluate the current freshmens' current level of development the same as you do?

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

RatedR

• Walk-On
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2014, 10:34:03 AM »

I dont blame him. He is really good.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2014, 10:34:16 AM »
I wish him well at UK.  

Regardless of his decision, there has not been this much excitement over incoming recruits to Marquette in a LONG time.  Whether that's the the culture Buzz has created, or the winning success we have experienced, or (most likely) both, blue chip high school basketball players view Marquette as a legitimate landing spot to attend college.  

Hard to see how or why anyone could have sour grapes at this point...

RatedR

• Walk-On
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2014, 10:36:14 AM »
Exactly! It's surprising how many people that don't believe that. Too many perks over there for top recruits. Milwaukee needs to produce its own top recruit then Marquette needs to butter his bread.

true. Milwaukee do need to start producing top recruits like Looney and Stone

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2014, 10:37:33 AM »
I'm confused.  Are you stupid enough to believe what you just posted, or are you just saying crap that you know isn't true because you are frustrated that Buzz doesn't evaluate the current freshmens' current level of development the same as you do?

I didn't say anything about Buzz you did..... Remember that... All I said is maybe as the #11 ranked player he actually wants to play as a Freshmen... To some people College is "NOT" a 4 year process and they just want to play a Year or 2 and go pro.... If thats the case then why not go to Memphis, Kentucky or Duke play one and be done... You don't know me from anywhere dont question my personal opinion on the subject you loser..
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 10:40:00 AM by Nevada233 »

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2014, 10:45:07 AM »
I didn't say anything about Buzz you did..... Remember that... All I said is maybe as the #11 ranked player he actually wants to play as a Freshmen... To some people College is "NOT" a 4 year process and they just want to play a Year or 2 and go pro.... If thats the case then why not go to Memphis, Kentucky or Duke play one and be done... You don't know me from anywhere dont question my personal opinion on the subject you loser..
Your faulty logic is burying you even further. If Matthews is truly a one-and-done talent, he would play huge minutes under Buzz--he doesn't blindly adhere to this 4-year process that you reference.

And if he's not a one-and-done, his minutes will reflect that over the course of his freshman year regardless of where he goes.

Cal, Coach K, and co. are not playing guys based on their high school reputation. That would make them horrendous coaches. Their freshman do get big minutes because they are in fact one-and-done talents.

RatedR

• Walk-On
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2014, 10:45:51 AM »

im with u. I understood what u meant

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2014, 10:46:31 AM »

+!

Why do you think Schools like Baylor and Texas are on the list?  They are not basketball blue-bloods but are located near top 20 recruits.

My guess is away from the top 5 or 6 true blood-blood programs, the rest of the schools that landed a top 20 kid got one that lived within 150 miles of campus.  It matters where you're located relative to where the kids are being produced.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2014, 10:46:57 AM »

You are really thin skinned.

But if you have an idea that Buzz doesn't play freshmen BECAUSE they are freshmen, you indeed don't know very much.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2014, 10:53:08 AM »

Due to your posting frequency, you have become the worst poster this season.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2014, 10:55:16 AM »

Ignorance is not an opinion.

Let's see, a guy whose probably going to start as a freshman at Kentucky you say would only play 5 to 10 minutes at Marquette.  And this statement does not say anything about the head coach of Marquette.  Got it.  

I know you from your posts here, and I have limited my reaction to those.  Outside of the outrageous statement I am responding to, I have no reason to doubt that you are a kind, thoughtful and wonderful human being.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 10:58:39 AM by LittleMurs »

reinko

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2014, 10:56:53 AM »
Due to your posting frequency, you have become the worst poster this season.

Hey, stop that.  He is a big deal according to the poster who shall not be named.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2014, 10:58:07 AM »

Then he should have came to MU hes "only" the 12th ranked recruit. Kentucky will recruit over him.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2014, 11:09:56 AM »

If that is what they have been thinking then the reading of the signs would say Stone also goes to Crooktucky.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

feedback