'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Lockett Signed by Sacramento Kings  (Read 36239 times)

avid1010

• All American
Re: Lockett Signed by Sacramento Kings
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2013, 06:24:26 AM »
i was hard on trent this year...he made some bone headed decisions, and my expectations were that he would be the last person on the team to do so.  that said, he also had some great games, and i'm sure everyone at MU is THRILLED to see him get drafted.  no one on here ever questioned his attitude, work ethic, character, etc.  in fact, just the opposite. 

mixINaWILSON

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2013, 06:32:37 AM »
Trent always respected the process.  Good for him.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2013, 06:42:21 AM »
Lockett signed a 1 year guaranteed contract with a 2nd year team option. He's on the roster and will play in the NBA.

Are you serious??? Amazing!! Buzz's players must surely have a rep for being hard working team-first guys that the NBA wants a piece of.  Lockett was one of the most unselfish players ever at MU, coming from being the number 1 option at ASU to a role player here.  He never put up a stink, and capped off his season with an excellent performance against Miami to put us in the E8.  Really really happy for him.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2013, 06:45:50 AM »
respectfully...I actually think it validates Blue's decision.   Objectively, forget the emotion of wanting Blue to stay another year, who would have thought at year end Lockett was more likely to sign an NBA contract than Blue given the year's performances and the run in the tourney?    I agree with the persective that VB staying another year only would have made his chances to make the NBA much stronger, but, in his mind.....if a player like Trent can get a whiff at it...how can a dude so confident in his abilities like Blue not think he can as well at this point in his life?   I guess we shall see if VB gets invited to and sticks with an NBA team through camp.    I completely share the complete and pleasant surprise of Trent getting a shot.   I loved his attitude and work ethic at MU and he only got stronger as the year progressed.   His senior day speech will always remain a highlight of the season to me.

Yep.  That is now three undrafted FA's to sign guaranteed contracts in Buzz's 5 years.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2013, 06:48:37 AM »
Lockett signed a 1 year guaranteed contract with a 2nd year team option. He's on the roster and will play in the NBA.

I am highly dubious of your claim: http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2013/8/28/4669888/trent-lockett-marquette-guard-signed-sacramento-kings
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2013, 07:20:54 AM »
Is it safe to say that Trent wouldn't of gotten a shot in the NBA if he didn't play a year at MU?  I think so.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2013, 07:30:27 AM »
I was another who was frustrated with Trent early in the year.   He struggled to get his shot off in traffic, he turned the ball over a lot, he got beat back door and off the dribble with regularity.     But he kept working.     And it has paid off.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

teamdee

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2013, 08:01:28 AM »
Lockett was one of the craftier vets on the team last year.  He slowed the game down and did all the little things.  Breast of luck to Mr. Lockett, aka "The Professional". 

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2013, 08:23:11 AM »
Is it safe to say that Trent wouldn't of gotten a shot in the NBA if he didn't play a year at MU?  I think so.
I agree - although I think that has just as much to do with being on a team that made an Elite 8 run as it was MU/Buzz's reputation in a vacuum
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2013, 08:41:47 AM »
Wow.  Psyched for Trent, but did not see that coming.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2013, 08:59:20 AM »
So we are up to 8 players at least signing NBA contracts in the last 5 years. Not too many programs can claim that. And looks like Trent put up similar numbers in the summer league as he did his senior year.

http://www.foxsportswisconsin.com/collegebasketball/marquette-golden-eagles/story/Former-Marquette-guard-Trent-Lockett-lan?blockID=933931&feedID=5065

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2013, 09:08:53 AM »

Eh...I don't know.  Apparently the Kings were impressed with his defense and his leadership abilities during the summer league.  I'm not sure Buzz can take the credit for all of that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2013, 09:12:11 AM »
I am highly dubious of your claim: http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2013/8/28/4669888/trent-lockett-marquette-guard-signed-sacramento-kings

Me, too. I would like to see something that verifies a guaranteed contract. I just looked again and could find no mention of such a deal online anywhere -- except in the MUScoop walk-on's post.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2013, 09:18:44 AM »
Me, too. I would like to see something that verifies a guaranteed contract. I just looked again and could find no mention of such a deal online anywhere -- except in the MUScoop walk-on's post.

Look at his post history. He called Lockett to the Kings over a month ago. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. He knows more about the NBA (and has better contacts) than anyone on this board.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2013, 09:28:21 AM »
A little surprised, pleasantly.

Loved Trent's play.  He did so many things that don't show up.

For example, if he was trailing the break, he always found a way to slow down one, or even two of the defenders.  Those are the things that coaches notice, but many fans never see.

Really, really, smart player. 

Best of Luck Trent.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2013, 09:34:18 AM »
I believe so as well.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2013, 09:35:17 AM »
How many NBA guys scored 7 ppg or less in their senior/previous season?

I'd imagine the number is very very low.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2013, 09:42:02 AM »

Eh...I don't know.  Apparently the Kings were impressed with his defense and his leadership abilities during the summer league.  I'm not sure Buzz can take the credit for all of that.

I think the chances of Trent being in this position if he had stayed at ASU are almost non existent. We've seen what a year (Mathews, Lockett) or two (Crowder, Hayward) under Buzz can do for guys viewed as NBA long shots. Add DJO and JFB to the group and you have a "pick six" that would pay millions on a $2 wager.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2013, 09:44:56 AM »
I think the chances of Trent being in this position if he had stayed at ASU are almost non existent. We've seen what a year (Mathews, Lockett) or two (Crowder, Hayward) under Buzz can do for guys viewed as NBA long shots. Add DJO and JFB to the group and you have a "pick six" that would pay millions on a $2 wager.

Non-existent?

C'mon.  He was highly thought of coming out of ASU.  Buzz can do wonders developing players, but I think it is pretty presumptuous saying that he turned someone from having no chance at the NBA to signing a training camp contract after working with him less than a year.  (And I feel the same way about Matthews.)

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2013, 10:03:19 AM »

Non-existent?

C'mon.  He was highly thought of coming out of ASU.  Buzz can do wonders developing players, but I think it is pretty presumptuous saying that he turned someone from having no chance at the NBA to signing a training camp contract after working with him less than a year.  (And I feel the same way about Matthews.)
Trent does have a much tougher look and edginess about him than he did a year ago.  Hope he makes it, but its probably a long shot.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2013, 10:28:46 AM »

Non-existent?

No, not non-existent. Almost non-existent, which is what I said. Trent had very little chance as the "offensive star" he was at ASU. As we saw, he was a poor ball handler and an average (at best) shooter. He shot and drove the ball frequently early on at MU with little success, but he was a different player (defensive stopper, glue guy) by the end of the year. That guy has the chance to sit on an NBA bench somewhere - the guy who arrived from Tempe and we saw in November and December didn't.

Mathews wasn't as much a long, long shot as Lockett. Neither were the other four I mentioned. But they were long shots, at least 15-1 and as much as 100-1 to make the NBA at the start of their senior year. It takes great character to overcome those odds - major kudos to those guys. But the pattern that Buzz has established (guys who make the NBA without the measurables, reputations,etc) is a remarkable one I don't see happening anywhere else. I don't think it's a coincidence.

muvanwilder

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2013, 10:45:47 AM »
How many NBA guys scored 7 ppg or less in their senior/previous season?

I'd imagine the number is very very low.

I agree. The first thing I thought of was Kentucky draftees under Calipari.
http://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/conferences/Southeastern-Conference/8/Kentucky/258/NBA_Players
Some of the college numbers are very similar of some of the guys on that list. I would say this is a compliment to Buzz and the program.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2013, 10:46:25 AM »
Look at his post history. He called Lockett to the Kings over a month ago. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. He knows more about the NBA (and has better contacts) than anyone on this board.

+1

When I saw the title of this thread, and after the resultant fist-pump, I thought about 'that one infrequent poster who claimed this was coming a while back'.  Kudos.  Kudos.

And congrats, Trent. Way to make your family proud!

icheights

• Starter
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2013, 11:37:29 AM »
Lockett will make one hell of a great practice player.  Great D, effort, hustle, team player...everything you want in practice to make everyone better.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2013, 11:40:27 AM »

I'm not saying the report is false. I'd just like to see it reported somewhere. It's such a long shot to give a guaranteed contract to a lightly regarded, undrafted, free agent, rookie. But it does happen.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback