[Today at 04:03:00 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by barfolomew
[Today at 03:27:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 12:46:07 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Lockett Signed by Sacramento Kings  (Read 36240 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Lockett Signed by Sacramento Kings
« Reply #100 on: August 30, 2013, 03:58:34 PM »

Yep.  They did.  Like a lot of players who win DPOY awards, they generally win it based on stats rather than actual performance.

For instance, Michael Jordan only won the award once. 

Probably because people were tired of Jordan hand checking and other rule breaking to do his defense.   ;)    Let's also not forget he made all defensive team a ton...so does that mean that doesn't count either?

I guess I'm a little surprised that a sophomore won the Big East Defensive Player of the Year.  It certain can happen, but I would expect that the coaches who vote on this actually watch the games and felt he did some great things defensively against his team.  Stats play a role, of course, but they're going to use their eyeballs as well.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #101 on: August 30, 2013, 04:07:26 PM »

Yep.  They did.  Like a lot of players who win DPOY awards, they generally win it based on stats rather than actual performance.

For instance, Michael Jordan only won the award once.  

Also, the DPOY usually goes to shot blockers and big defenders, as if the guards are just out there for fun.  College is usually more apt to actually give it to top defenders.  I wouldn't ignore the BE award.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #102 on: August 30, 2013, 04:08:36 PM »
Was that the year he stole an inbounds pass at South Florida and scored as time expired?  A play like that will get you some votes.

All-time MU steals leader doesn't hurt either.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 04:10:09 PM by Badgerhater »

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #103 on: August 30, 2013, 04:15:15 PM »
I remember us losing by 16 points at the half and playing absolutely dreadful basketball.  Made a great charge in the second half to come back.

Some anemic shooting in that game

Wes was 1 for 10  (though 9 of 10 at the stripe)
McNeal 4 for 17  (but 3 for 8 beyond three arc)
Lazar 3 for 9  (but 3 for 6 beyond three arc)

Little Mo Acker was a shooting stud for us that game..3 of 4 from beyond the arc (4 for 5 shooting in total on the game)

That was a crazy game, plenty of blame to go around, but a fun game to watch nonetheless.

This was a day game, no? Pretty sure I watched that game in a stats class at MU and everyone was going nuts.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #104 on: August 30, 2013, 06:28:26 PM »
Also, the DPOY usually goes to shot blockers and big defenders, as if the guards are just out there for fun.  College is usually more apt to actually give it to top defenders.  I wouldn't ignore the BE award.

He's been on the "McNeal is poop at defense" train for a long time. Ticket taker doesn't even second glance. For that, it's easy to ignore a major conference individual award.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #105 on: August 30, 2013, 08:25:48 PM »
He's been on the "McNeal is poop at defense" train for a long time.

I said he was overrated.  He liked to take risks....jump into passing lanes...  But he wasn't great at rotations and pretty average on-ball. Overall I think he was good...just overrated.

I don't think I would say Trent was better though.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #106 on: August 30, 2013, 08:48:04 PM »

I said he was overrated.  He liked to take risks....jump into passing lanes...  But he wasn't great at rotations and pretty average on-ball. Overall I think he was good...just overrated.

I don't think I would say Trent was better though.

Still trying to find the post-game press conference from the NCAA Tournament against Butler because I remember Brad Stevens talking about Marquette's hounding defense and I believe he specifically brought up Trent following one of their guys all over the court, but I did find this preview of the game and his interview and man am I going to miss Brad Stevens in the college game.  I hate to say it but I think he's the one coach I enjoy more than Buzz.  He may not be as entertaining as Buzz, but he seems as sincere as they come and he's a really smart, complimentary guy.  He's also as cool, calm, and collected as they come (although I did love his reaction when he went to the floor after one of the calls against Marquette).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xInW2dH2jpU

Edit: Found it.  Mentions Lockett first as far as "hounding" his man all over the court.  Question comes at about 3:40.  Also brings up Wilson and Cadougan's D on Clarke and Blue's overall athleticism.  I agree with him though, he played some really outstanding defense in that game and late in the season became a very good defender and was a fantastic rebounder throughout the year.

http://www.ncaa.com/video#!basketball-men/2013-03-23/third-round-marquette-post
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 08:59:06 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #107 on: August 30, 2013, 08:58:57 PM »
I think Trent struggled on ball against quicker guards in space.  My impression is that he didn't have great footspeed. 

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #108 on: August 31, 2013, 09:30:06 AM »
What I recall most about Trent was his rebounding.  I think he led the team last year.  I particularly recall his effectiveness on offensive boards late in games.  That says a lot about his toughness but there has to be an element of foot speed to that ability.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #109 on: October 24, 2013, 05:35:15 PM »
Lockett waived by the Kings this afternoon. Sixteenth guy on a fifteen man roster.

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2013, 05:43:07 PM »
Lockett waived by the Kings this afternoon. Sixteenth guy on a fifteen man roster.

Ouch!

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #111 on: October 24, 2013, 06:36:58 PM »
I think Trent struggled on ball against quicker guards in space.  My impression is that he didn't have great footspeed. 

Nor that TAKEOVER game mentality and talent.

GREAT teammate, glue guy and role player, though.
SS Marquette

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #112 on: October 24, 2013, 07:40:21 PM »
Unfortunate for Trent. He came so close it seems. I'm sure he'll sign on somewhere in the d league or overseas though.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #113 on: October 24, 2013, 09:28:53 PM »
And this is why all the debate over what kind of contract he received mattered little. (As opposed to the cancer-curing debates we usually have here; present company included.)

Here's hoping Lockett will get to keep a few bucks at least. I sure never saw him as an NBA player, but I never saw Dwight Buycks as one, either, so what do I know?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #114 on: October 25, 2013, 02:49:52 PM »
I sure never saw him as an NBA player, but I never saw Dwight Buycks as one, either, so what do I know?

I'm with you here.  Since Crean, recent guys I thought had a good shot of getting drafted and sticking when they left MU:

Dwayne Wade
Steve Novak
Dominic James (after frosh season)
Wes Matthews
Jimmy Butler
Darius Johnson-Odom

I'd have given Robert Jackson, Jae Crowder and Jerel McNeal and James (late MU career) a decent to small chance to get there at some point when they graduated.

I never thought, while watching them play, even though I really liked them at MU, that Diener, Buycks, Hayward, Lockett or Blue had any kind of realistic shot at the league.  Guess scouting isn't in my future.

Of the current group, excluding the freshmen who I haven't seen, the guys that look like they may be potential NBA guys to me are Jamil Wilson and Steve Taylor (and that's projecting a lot for Steve.  He just strikes me as having some very good tools). 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #115 on: October 25, 2013, 03:29:09 PM »
May need to add JaJuan to the watch list.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #116 on: October 25, 2013, 03:42:13 PM »
What I recall most about Trent was his rebounding.  I think he led the team last year.  I particularly recall his effectiveness on offensive boards late in games.  That says a lot about his toughness but there has to be an element of foot speed to that ability.

This is right on.

feedback