[Today at 11:36:18 AM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 11:23:04 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 08:37:46 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New Marquette App  (Read 32603 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Re: New Marquette App
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 01:34:07 PM »
Only supports Apple products.  Meh.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 01:39:23 PM »
Only supports Apple products.  Meh.

Wait...there are people out there who don't have Apple products?!?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 02:13:38 PM »
Wait...there are people out there who don't have Apple products?!?

With regards smartphones Android has a 60% market share compared to Apple's 20%.  Only the technologically illiterate waste money on Apple products.

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 02:15:46 PM »
* Citation needed
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 02:18:12 PM »
With regards smartphones Android has a 60% market share compared to Apple's 20%.  Only the technologically illiterate waste money on Apple products.

That's why apple makes money. Their products are designed for idiots. Most people are idiots and enjoy the short learning curve.

EDIT: I mean this as a compliment btw. They've been able to identify a market for dependable, easy technology in a stylish package.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 02:19:50 PM by Guns n Ammo »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 02:40:22 PM »
That's why apple makes money. Their products are designed for idiots. Most people are idiots and enjoy the short learning curve.

EDIT: I mean this as a compliment btw. They've been able to identify a market for dependable, easy technology in a stylish package.

If you want to be successful in this world, you need to pander to idiots because, after all, we're all idiots.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 02:47:21 PM »
<--- Galaxy S2

GOO

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 02:48:32 PM »
Microsoft/Google:  We create great technology.  Who cares if it is hard to use or how it looks, it requires manuals and training, and most of the features are hidden away and no one knows about them and no one will use them.  But it's really cool stuff.  If the consumer is to dumb to figure it out, to bad, that is the consumers problem.  We create and it's up to the consumer to figure it out and if they can't, well, not our issue.

Apple:  We create technology.  If the consumer finds it hard to use, that is our problem.  We create for the end user/consumer and it should work and they should be able to figure it.  

I prefer Microsoft for some things, and used to mock Apple.  But, I'm an Apple convert.  There is something to be said for stuff that works the way it is intended, without problems, even if a feature or two are left off or they run a little behind at times.

Google/Android has a larger share of the market, but a lot of that is low end/cheaper stuff.  Nothing wrong with that, at all, but google gives android away.  On a MU board, I'd expect a higher adoption of Apple products than in the general public.  

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 02:50:11 PM »
They should have just developed a mobile site that is accessible from either device.  "Apps" like these are not necessarily smart because you eliminate half of the marketplace.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 02:54:53 PM »
They should have just developed a mobile site that is accessible from either device.  "Apps" like these are not necessarily smart because you eliminate half of the marketplace.

I believe they said Android is in the works as well.  Of course, what will the three people with a Windows phone do?

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 03:15:36 PM »
 There is something to be said for stuff that works the way it is intended, without problems, even if a feature or two are left off or they run a little behind at times.

Apple is the king of putting out technology that doesn't work as intended...it's just they intend for it not to work perfectly and their following is okay with this and feel like field testers.  If anything, Apple is the king at developing a culture among its customers that allows for such errors. 

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 03:18:41 PM »

Agreed.  Most these apps are pointless and the mobile websites are usually easier to navigate anyway.

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 03:56:23 PM »
Apple is the king of putting out technology that doesn't work as intended...it's just they intend for it not to work perfectly and their following is okay with this and feel like field testers.
Hmm...not sure I follow this. Care to elaborate?

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 04:00:03 PM »
Agreed.  Most these apps are pointless and the mobile websites are usually easier to navigate anyway.
I'd honestly be surprised if this was much more than a website with an app wrapped around it to make it App Store eligible.

There is something to be said about the visibility that comes along with being in a more exclusive club of the App Store and Google Play, though.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 04:56:48 PM »
I believe they said Android is in the works as well.  Of course, what will the three people with a Windows phone do?

HEYO

chapman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 05:41:00 PM »
Apple products are for hippies.  They shouldn't insult us like this.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 05:43:57 PM »
Next up: A Marquette Radio streaming app so I can listen to soccer game broadcasts.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

RideMyBuycks

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2012, 06:45:50 PM »

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2012, 08:51:28 PM »
Too bad Microsoft didn't build cars. Turn the key and get "fatal exception error" or the blue screen of death.

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2012, 10:06:03 PM »
There is a reason most apps are released for iOS first, Apple makes it extremely easy for app developers.  Android is unbelievably fragmented and it makes it difficult to develop apps that work correctly across the large number of devices/manufacturers that use Android.  It's really not uncommon to release an iPhone app well before an Android app.

Also, people who knock Apple really make me laugh.  Apple has completely revolutionized all of our lives.   In case none of you remember (not that it was long ago), before the iPhone there really were no smart phones.  Sure there were blackberrys but not the same thing, those were phones that received email.  The iPhone changed the game.  End of story.  All Android phones are basically copies of iPhones.  You can squawk all you want about a feature here or there that Android might have that iPhone doesn't, but iPhone continues to set the agenda and Android continues to play catch up despite market share.  Don't believe me?  While Android market share is close to 60%, they are moving in the wrong direction.  You will see that share decrease over the next year.  iPhone sales have accounted for nearly 50% of smart phone sales in 2012 last I saw.  You also are ignoring the tablet market where Apple has a 60% market share.  By the way, that is another market that Apple created solely on their own and where everyone else is playing catchup.  I was laughing the other day reading iPad 1 reviews calling the iPad a dud, a big iPhone, making fun of the name, predicting miserable sales.  Well 70 million sales later I think it's safe to say the iPad is a success.

In the end, I don't care if you choose to have an Android phone, windows phone, blackberry, or whatever.  However, stop with the revisionist b.s. that Apple doesn't innovate, they brain wash people, they have inferior products, etc...   That's simple blind fanboy speak that comes off as bitter and uninformed.  A few Android phones are good, but there are 85% that are garbage.  I always know that my iPhone is going to work amazingly well, have cutting edge technology, and be simple, beautiful, and elagent.  I also know that I am going to have the most and best apps available because they make it easy and for app developers and they have the best chance of their app being profitable on the iPhone/iPad.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2012, 12:19:39 AM »
Apple is the king of putting out technology that doesn't work as intended...it's just they intend for it not to work perfectly and their following is okay with this and feel like field testers.  If anything, Apple is the king at developing a culture among its customers that allows for such errors. 

Sounds to me like a new version of windows.  Use it (because we told all PC makers that they must install it on all new computers) report the bugs, and we'll fix them.  BTW, I am a windows PC user, and I shudder every time a new windows is coming out.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2012, 04:43:40 AM »
There is a reason most apps are released for iOS first, Apple makes it extremely easy for app developers.  Android is unbelievably fragmented and it makes it difficult to develop apps that work correctly across the large number of devices/manufacturers that use Android.  It's really not uncommon to release an iPhone app well before an Android app.

Also, people who knock Apple really make me laugh.  Apple has completely revolutionized all of our lives.   In case none of you remember (not that it was long ago), before the iPhone there really were no smart phones.  Sure there were blackberrys but not the same thing, those were phones that received email.  The iPhone changed the game.  End of story.  All Android phones are basically copies of iPhones.  You can squawk all you want about a feature here or there that Android might have that iPhone doesn't, but iPhone continues to set the agenda and Android continues to play catch up despite market share.  Don't believe me?  While Android market share is close to 60%, they are moving in the wrong direction.  You will see that share decrease over the next year.  iPhone sales have accounted for nearly 50% of smart phone sales in 2012 last I saw.  You also are ignoring the tablet market where Apple has a 60% market share.  By the way, that is another market that Apple created solely on their own and where everyone else is playing catchup.  I was laughing the other day reading iPad 1 reviews calling the iPad a dud, a big iPhone, making fun of the name, predicting miserable sales.  Well 70 million sales later I think it's safe to say the iPad is a success.

In the end, I don't care if you choose to have an Android phone, windows phone, blackberry, or whatever.  However, stop with the revisionist b.s. that Apple doesn't innovate, they brain wash people, they have inferior products, etc...   That's simple blind fanboy speak that comes off as bitter and uninformed.  A few Android phones are good, but there are 85% that are garbage.  I always know that my iPhone is going to work amazingly well, have cutting edge technology, and be simple, beautiful, and elagent.  I also know that I am going to have the most and best apps available because they make it easy and for app developers and they have the best chance of their app being profitable on the iPhone/iPad.

Thanks for postin', Steve.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2012, 04:45:08 AM »
Sounds to me like a new version of windows.  Use it (because we told all PC makers that they must install it on all new computers) report the bugs, and we'll fix them.  BTW, I am a windows PC user, and I shudder every time a new windows is coming out.

Join the Apple crowd and be hip and trendy like me.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"