[Today at 08:37:46 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:46:15 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

What baseball team do you support?

Chicago Cubs
36 (28.8%)
Milwaukee Brewers
44 (35.2%)
Chicago White Sox
18 (14.4%)
Minnesota Twins
3 (2.4%)
Other
24 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 118

Author Topic: OT: MUScoop Baseball Demographic Breakdown  (Read 25316 times)

BigSky

• Starter
Re: OT: MUScoop Baseball Demographic Breakdown
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2007, 12:02:23 AM »
Marquis...not bad complete game shutout

Good for Jason, but it won't last....he's done this before.  6 month season, not one.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2007, 09:19:39 AM »
Marquis...not bad complete game shutout

Good for Jason, but it won't last....he's done this before.  6 month season, not one.

Looking at split stats, Jason has actually never pitched this well before in his career.

What he has done in his career though is start off ptiching good, and finished even better. In 2003, 2004, and 2005 Marquis started his first seven games off strong posting ERAs lower than the low 3s. He finished those seasons off with a an ERA variating no more than 20 points +/- his first seven games.

The only year he didn't do well was 2006, and he didn't start off well. After his first seven games he had an ERA of 6, ended with an ERA of 6.

So Jason's history would tell us that when Marquis starts out well, he ends up having a pretty good season. Right now he's off to the best start of his career, with an ERA of 1.70. I wouldn't even be mad is his ERA blooms 150 points by the end of the season.

So if Marquis falls apart, then I was wrong, but looking at his history there's no evidence in Marquis career, that would say he would fall apart after a few really good months.

And looking at history, he second half of the season is better than his first half.

Marquis is turning out to be one of the best pitching signings of the offseason.

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2007, 12:09:50 PM »
Marquis has a history of doing well part of the time, but he has a long history of not listening to instruction.  It's one month into the season, ...I know you are a Cubs fan but I'll let the seasonplay out.  Two highly successful organizations the past 10 years much more so than the Cubs, with much better staff than the Cubs didn't want him for a reason.  Hopefully he does well, I don't really care either way, ...but I wouldn'tbet on this continuing for the entire season. 

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2007, 02:23:23 PM »
And looking at history, he second half of the season is better than his first half.

not true.

Marquis' ERA in 2H of 06 was higher than 1H -- the league hit .321 against him after the All Star Game last year and his WHIP was better than 1.600, getting far worse in the 2H of the season.  Abominable.  Same with 05, he stunk late ....04 was the aberration -- ERAs were nearly even pre and post break, largely because WHIP was under control.  For his career he's a below average pitcher. he's overachieving now.

Sell!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 02:43:19 PM by NYWarrior »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2007, 03:07:35 PM »
After starting the season, Marquis in 05 was very similar to to Marquis in the end of 05.

Who's to say 04 was the irregular year? I think 06 was.

Either way, I'd rather have Marquis than Schmidt or Zito right now.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2007, 03:17:36 PM »
After starting the season, Marquis in 05 was very similar to to Marquis in the end of 05.

Who's to say 04 was the irregular year? I think 06 was.

Either way, I'd rather have Marquis than Schmidt or Zito right now.

Marquis has only had 2 yrs in his  7yr career where his WHIP was less than 1.4 -- which is rotten, to be kind (and he's never been better than 1.3+ anyway, which still blows).  He's only had 2 yrs where his ERA was better than 4.00.  In fact, for most of his career (four of his seven seasons) he's finished a given year with an ERA north of 5.00!  His career ERA is higher than the league average since he joined the majors.

He has disgusting career numbers.

Maybe this will be his career year, who knows........but his track record suggests his effectiveness will wane substantially.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 03:29:20 PM by NYWarrior »

bean

• Walk-On
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2007, 10:15:40 PM »
How does it make Brewer fans feel they haven't played a team over .500 at the time of the game and only one of their opponents are now better than .500?

How does it feel to invest $300 million in the off-season and barely keep a .500 record?

Who are the fans going to blame this season on now that Dusty is gone?

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2007, 10:35:55 PM »
How does it make Brewer fans feel they haven't played a team over .500 at the time of the game and only one of their opponents are now better than .500?

How does it feel to invest $300 million in the off-season and barely keep a .500 record?

The only people who care about  huge payrolls are people in smaller markets.  Big markets can throw out money, and have busts and do it again over and over.  Doesn't always guarantee success or failure....but can be done any time.

Cubs fans don't care about how much is spent, they just want to win.  Same with many other markets.  They don't care about the payroll. 

Making smart decisions, good management....whole other stories.  Sometimes there are better cheaper values and sometimes the big spend is a good value/decision. 

Only small market teams get interested and excited about the financial failures of big markets.  Not much of a big deal to the big markets. 

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2007, 08:53:11 AM »

Cubs fans don't care about how much is spent, they just want to win.  Same with many other markets.  They don't care about the payroll. 

The fact that "Cubs fan" keep going to Wrigley when they lose year after year (decade after decade?) is proof that winning is not that important to them. 80% of "Cubs fans" are really Wrigley Field fans.  I know very, very few fans of the Chicago Cubs baseball team. Most people go to games at Wrigley Field for the sunshine and beer. Which is fine, it's a good time if that's what you are looking for as a baseball experience. But they obviously care very little about winning.
We Are Marquette

bean

• Walk-On
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2007, 09:03:07 AM »

So you're telling me that fans are fine with the Cubs spending whatever they want on their payroll, and in turn increase ticket and concession prices to cover the costs? 

That might work if your team is winning championships, but the Cubs are not the Yankees.

Sounds like I would need to take a few stupid pills if I ever wanted to be a fan.

tonyreeder

« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2007, 09:50:22 AM »
"80% are Wrigley Field fans."     I'm no Cubs fan but that is ridiculous. There's a large portion of fans at every major league ballpark who are there for the fun and sun.  It's entertainment for them.   I know plenty of Cubs fans who are every bit the baseball fan as fans in New York, Boston etc.    Yes, the bleachers are filled with idiots but take a look at the season ticket holders or the people along the the first and third baselines.  I see more older people keeping score at those games than in most ballparks.   You can be both a Wrigley Field fan and a Cub fan.  I love the argument that Cub fans don't care about baseball because they show up  when they are horrible.   That line of thinking must mean the Tampa Bay Devil Rays are the best fans around.   The team stinks so the fans don't show up-what great fans.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2007, 09:54:45 AM »
What happens when 25000 Cubs fans fill Miller Park then? Just there to experience an airplane hangar turned baseball stadium...or... did they travel to see the team they love?

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2007, 09:58:08 AM »
What happens when 25000 Cubs fans fill Miller Park then? Just there to experience an airplane hangar turned baseball stadium...or... did they travel to see the team they love?

They want to watch a game without the fear of concrete hitting them on their head and the smell of Special Ex doesn't linger.
But I like to throw handfuls...

MUCHI814

« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2007, 10:29:10 AM »
      Cubs this year still only have th 8th highest payroll in the league and its under 100 Million.  Why should a fan care how much a team spends, its not my money and I want to see the best team possible.  Also, with some of the other signings this off season especially with pitching Lilly and Marquis thus far seem to be pretty good signings.
      The whole "Wrigley Field Fan" argument is dumb.  Any team is gonna have people at games that don't really care about the games.  As a Marquette student its unbelievable to see how many kids go to Miller Park just to tailgate and get crapfaced and hardly see any of the game.  Its entertainment and its fun as hell, you can't blame them.  Just like Wrigley Field.  With any team, any sport there are gonna be your fans that are die hard and the ones that couldn't care less.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2007, 10:53:07 AM »
"80% are Wrigley Field fans."     I'm no Cubs fan but that is ridiculous. There's a large portion of fans at every major league ballpark who are there for the fun and sun.  It's entertainment for them.   I know plenty of Cubs fans who are every bit the baseball fan as fans in New York, Boston etc.    Yes, the bleachers are filled with idiots but take a look at the season ticket holders or the people along the the first and third baselines.  I see more older people keeping score at those games than in most ballparks.   You can be both a Wrigley Field fan and a Cub fan.  I love the argument that Cub fans don't care about baseball because they show up  when they are horrible.   That line of thinking must mean the Tampa Bay Devil Rays are the best fans around.   The team stinks so the fans don't show up-what great fans.

I didn't say there weren't Cubs fans, just that most of the people who call themselves "Cubs fans" really mean they like the Wrigley Field experience. Which is totally cool. You can't fault them for it. And I totally agree that many people at any given ballpark are there for the fun and sun. My point is just that with the Cubs its just more pronounced and that's why many of them could care less about the score.
We Are Marquette

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2007, 11:40:52 AM »

Bingo. 

More Cubs fans show up at Miller Park for a Cubs game than Brewer fans for a Brewer game.

Maybe we are just  showing our love of Miller Park.  Wait we can't get sunshine because your roof is usually broke.

Brewers fans, who you crappin?

bean

• Walk-On
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2007, 12:04:46 PM »

Bingo. 

More Cubs fans show up at Miller Park for a Cubs game than Brewer fans for a Brewer game.

Maybe we are just  showing our love of Miller Park.  Wait we can't get sunshine because your roof is usually broke.

Brewers fans, who you crappin?

Wow, Cubs fans can't let go of the past.  Your comment "might" have made sense a couple of seasons ago, but not any more.  The Brewers fans are coming out in larger numbers than before.  In fact, I've seen quite a few Cubs hats and shirts in the stands when the Brewers were not playing the Cubs.  It seems like these Cubs fans decided they want to watch a real team this season.

And nice try trying to take a cheap shot at the stadium.  I guess you when you can't talk up your team, you need to be creative.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
peeyourpantsforthebrewers.com
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2007, 12:22:19 PM »
who cares?!?!?  Its time to pee, Brewers fans.  In an unprecedented sign of solidarity--or insanity--1,000+ Brewers fans have committed to wet themselves if Milwaukee ends its 24-year playoff drought this year:

http://www.peeyourpantsforthebrewers.com/
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 12:27:14 PM by NYWarrior »

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2007, 12:32:47 PM »
Damn - I signed up this morning and was around number 525.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 12:35:24 PM by Chili »
But I like to throw handfuls...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: peeyourpantsforthebrewers.com
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2007, 12:33:36 PM »
who cares?!?!?  Its time to pee, Brewers fans.  In an unprecedented sign of solidarity--or insanity--1,000+ Brewers fans have committed to wet themselves if Milwaukee ends its 24-year playoff drought this year:

http://www.peeyourpantsforthebrewers.com/

Good God that is funny.  That and the proctology deal they had the other day at Miller Park....you can't make this stuff up.

They sure are playing well right now.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2007, 12:38:06 PM »

yes they are ..... but the Brewers have only played one team with a winning record (Dodgers).   We'll learn alot about the Brewers in the next month.  I think they run away and hide in the Central.

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2007, 12:40:01 PM »
Wrigley Field started to become a destination after WGN and Harry Caray.  As many recall Wrigley wasn't so packed all the time, at that time, and the neighborhood was a bit different too.

Speaking of WGN, money does matter, TV Revenue matters a great deal.  It is a large reason why the Yankees can do what they do, and the Cubs.

As long as people keep going to games, the Cubs can charge whatever they want, and housing costs in the neighborhood have gone way up and way overpriced the past 10 years.  You have 8 million in the metro, and all of those Iowa people from the minor league affiliate, not to mention many national people who grew up with WGN when it was the only game on....prices for games have gone way way up.  But enough of a combo of people still go from all of these places.  

The Cubs don't have to be good for people to go....it was not always that way for them.  Attendance was not always like this.  It's also why they keep the park where it is even though it needs drastic renovations.  

All of those suburban people....takes an hour to get in to the city and an hour to get out of city....a pain on weekdays.  (I've never understood why anyone in Chicago would ever live West of 294 but that's another story.  If answer is cost, might as well move to another metro area if you want to live in burbs) ...those people flock to Milwaukee because it is easier for traffic, cheaper for tickets...and also the many Chicagoans who moved to Milwaukee for cheaper costs, less traffic and higher quality of life.  Not much more of a drive fro Milwaukee to Wrigley, might as well live closer to a city with less hassles.  Unless you are livingin or near the city of Chicago, I don't understand the appeal.  And plenty of Chicagoans feel that way in live in or near Milwaukee.  

There are good any bad fans everywhere.  Obviously there are some differences if you took your kids to a NY Giants game or a Tennessee Titans game.  etc...

Cubs have a big mixture of neghborhood post-college kids looking for the aprty and opposite sex, traditional family generational fans, corporate weasels, and more.  

Milwaukee is getting more fans going to games, and they should(despite the ridiculous location of the park and the way it was built) It's a cheap ticket, among cheapest in the league.  They still have the tailgaters going in at 4th ining, and others who don't know much about baseball, and others who do....growing up without winning makes the numbers less.  But there are good apples too.  

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2007, 12:42:06 PM »
The Brewers will contend all season, but I don't think they will run away and hide from everyone in the division.  That I don't see.  They'll have to fight hard late in season for playoffs. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2007, 01:50:14 PM »
I forgot, let's all rip Cubs fans because they don't pay attention to the game, while Miller Park is empty because all the drunks are still in ther parking lot.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2007, 01:51:32 PM »

yes they are ..... but the Brewers have only played one team with a winning record (Dodgers).   We'll learn alot about the Brewers in the next month.  I think they run away and hide in the Central.

apparently you haven't looked at the Brewers schedule they have played so far... the past 20 some games before the Washington series was all against the NL Central... so, even though they are playing not the "best teams" you said, they have played all teams in their division.  From April 13th to May 6th, nothing but NL Central teams.  What does that say, that they are FAR better than the Cardinals, Cubs, Astros, Reds and Pirates.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

feedback