[Today at 06:46:15 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Aaron Durley  (Read 24415 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Aaron Durley
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2011, 08:33:47 AM »
After watching those 3 youtube videos, it appears he is big and he is a project.   Good building blocks, but needs to develop.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2011, 08:58:54 AM »
After watching those 3 youtube videos, it appears he is big and he is a project.   Good building blocks, but needs to develop.

If you can't snag the surefire top 5 big man, these are exactly the type of project centers you want - players with high ceilings that haven't come close to reaching them yet.  Give this guy two years with Todd Smith, the assistants, and Gardner and I think he'll be a polished force by the time he's a junior.  He's clearly coordinated enough, given that he played baseball at a fairly high level.  If he can catch and flush dump-offs automatically, rebound his area, and play solid D, he'll contribute to a lot of wins over four years.  Anything more than that and he (along with Gardner) could be the start of a reputation for developing big men at MU, which would be HUGE.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2011, 09:07:16 AM »
If you can't snag the surefire top 5 big man, these are exactly the type of project centers you want - players with high ceilings that haven't come close to reaching them yet.  Give this guy two years with Todd Smith, the assistants, and Gardner and I think he'll be a polished force by the time he's a junior.  He's clearly coordinated enough, given that he played baseball at a fairly high level.  If he can catch and flush dump-offs automatically, rebound his area, and play solid D, he'll contribute to a lot of wins over four years.  Anything more than that and he (along with Gardner) could be the start of a reputation for developing big men at MU, which would be HUGE.

Exactly, the kid pitched in little leagues so he has to have some coordination.  Under the radar nationally as he was hurt as a junior, sort of like DWade, big, physical guy.  Looks to
need some quickness, but after Todd gets him to reshape his body, he will get that.  He will not be that needed his freshman or soph year so whatever you get from him will be a plus.
Redshirt, maybe.  Lots of time to improve but you can not teach height, he has that.  If he improves as much as Chris has in 4 years, MU will be fine.  10 pts and 6 boards, has to be
a goal for any center at MU.  Not sure Chris will get there, but might be close.  Add Gardner in there and those numbers can be beat.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2011, 09:08:48 AM »
Opposing players won't even be able to get into the lane when we have Durley and Gardner in together.

The Golden Wall?
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2011, 09:24:28 AM »
Wont get a single mention in the MJS tomorrow either.
wrong.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2011, 09:25:58 AM »
Dude's fastball is clocked at 97 clicks.
60 mph?

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2011, 09:35:19 AM »
This was great news!  We've all been waiting for the signing of a good "big".  Congratulations Buzz and crew!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2011, 09:45:06 AM »
I am guessing part of the infatuation with redshirting is watching bo and the Badgers.  They try to redshirt all the frosh big's, Steimsma not withstanding.  Add to that, his freshman year MU will have Otule and Gardner at the 5 spot, and the question is about playing time.

Well, redshirting has not been always effective for UW.  For Butch and Wilkinson..yeah.  But all Gavinski's redshirt did is tie up his scholarship for another year.

I think it would be important for him to see limited minutes as a freshman.  As a sophomore, he will be the back up to DG, and by the time his is a junior will likely be the starter.  I would hate for DG's back up to be an inexperienced redshirt freshman....God forbid he gets injured.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2011, 09:51:29 AM »
Buzz has said that he goes on a case-by-case basis for what is best for the student athlete in regards to red-shirting.   In another thread, brewcity77 said that Otule was the most important player to keep healthy this year.   I still thing good PG play is more important, but that doesn't mean that he doesn't make sense.   And that will still be an issue next year.    So unless there is a medical reason to red-shirt him, let him play.   Just don't expect the second coming of Duncan or Shaq.    DG was very good last year in small doses, but the last true impact freshman big at MU was.........   Mac?   Maybe?   But if he wants to play, if he wants to be done with school in 4 years, let him and don't beat him up if he isn't an instant star.  
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 09:55:05 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2011, 10:19:41 AM »
In related news, I hope this closes the door on the P Nolan recruitment. I've read some inappropriate twitter writing in the past couple years from recruits and players, but his just made me squirm to think I would be encouraging my kid to cheer for him.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2011, 10:38:37 AM »
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2011, 12:34:15 PM »
I am guessing part of the infatuation with redshirting is watching bo and the Badgers.  They try to redshirt all the frosh big's, Steimsma not withstanding.  Add to that, his freshman year MU will have Otule and Gardner at the 5 spot, and the question is about playing time.

I agree, if he is ready, he will play.  You are also correct, this team will be very big.

I agree with  the red shirt fascination due to Bucky.  Rroblem truly is though you dont really know which undeveloped bigs ultimately develop.  If the guy becomes really good fine, but often times they dont and then u just have dead weight on the roster.  Look at half the big stiffs that have redshirted at Wisky...a good number of them have plain stunk as 5th year seniors.  Used 5 years to get nothing.  

Many people have lamented that had BArro had been redshirted one year he would have been really good.  Well the problem was he was the ONLY player with any size on the team and he had to play.

I truly beleive the best solution is bring in one true big (4.5-5) every year and let them play as much time as they earn but by strategy get more playing tme as they progress thru the system and earn it.  

In this particualar situation, as well, Durley is prolly not a good fit for a redshirt as we did not sign a big last year.  Therefore,  next year he will prolly not play a whole lot after NOn-con, but we will for sure need him as a soph. as he will be the second big on the roster behind Gardner and he will definitely be needed.  If we had a Junior big on the roster there would be more flexibilty.

Great signing by Buzz, this is exactly what we need.  true bigs that are athletic and have the right chararcter that are willing to come in and bust their ass for a year or two before they earn the right to play.  In my mind a better signing than Nolan would be becuase we needed a true 5 , not a 6'11 guy who weighs 200lbs and thinks he is a 3 that wants time right away.  I am sure he is a fine player but not our most pressing need.  Now if someone leaves I think a player of Nolans type would be great.  

PS.  as i have read more around the board about the 2 stars and he should be rated higher etc.   

ahhhhhhhhh...let me just try to end that right now.  Folks he is a 2 star player.  Yes the videos are limited but he looks like a 2 star.  He was not hurt during AAu this summer and the "gurus" saw him.  Same people that rated Ridly a 5 rated him a 2.   He will come in here much like Otule.  Looking like he never played before and maybe Buzz will say he was the second worst basketball player over 6'2 to ever come out of Texas.  So dont set this kid up to be a dissappoint ment or a failure after his Freshman year.  He appears to be big and athletic and I am sure he was solect for this "project" becuase Buzz liked his athleticism and character and felt he was acould that could endure 2-3 years of failure and pain to enjoy 1-2 years of being a player.  See otule.

One last note....one other thing I like about this signing is being at the same HS as Ridly he gets the benefit of going up against a 5 star Center his same size every day under the guidance of their HS coach who is a former D1 bball coach.  That is a great situation for this kid. 

Really excited, but this is a marathon not a sprint.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 12:43:31 PM by Canadian Dimes »

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2011, 12:35:22 PM »

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

MUFC9295

• Team Captain
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2011, 03:44:34 PM »
 Jaaron?  Would he be open to it? 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2011, 08:39:23 AM »
Welcome Aaron, your name is in lights on the MUScoop scholarship table...

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?page=8
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 09:22:12 AM by rocky_warrior »

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2011, 08:43:03 AM »
Rocky: 

The table contains a lot of outstanding talent.  Buzz and company have done extremely well recruiting a high level of talent to Marquette.  Can't wait for the season to begin!

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2011, 09:06:44 AM »
Welcome Aaron, you name is in lights on the MUScoop scholarship table...

Just because I cannot say it enough... I F*CKING LOVE THE SCHOLARSHIP TABLE!
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

QuetteHoops

• Starter
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2011, 09:19:27 AM »
It's sad that the three amigos are no longer seen on it though...

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2011, 09:28:54 AM »
Get over it. Buzz has upgraded over the previous turtlehead.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

QuetteHoops

• Starter
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2011, 09:35:19 AM »
Sad that I can't bring up my three favorite MU players without Crean being brought up...

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2011, 09:59:35 AM »
Welcome Aaron, your name is in lights on the MUScoop scholarship table...

Jake Thomas should be updated to scholarship after this year shouldn't he?
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2011, 10:02:05 AM »
Jake Thomas should be updated to scholarship after this year shouldn't he?

No, he's only on scholarship this year since we happened to have two open that were going unused.  They will be used after this year and he will go back to walk-on status.

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2011, 10:07:59 AM »
Scholarship table is awesome to look at.We keep getting deeper and more talented. Thanks 4 keeping it updated.
Thirteen getups to signing day

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2011, 10:11:03 AM »
Sad that I can't bring up my three favorite MU players without Crean being brought up...
Agreed.  Not all dentists have a painless practice.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2011, 10:23:51 AM »
Does anyone know if Marquette officially measures the players' height each year? 

The reason that I ask is that I noticed discrepancies from several media sources listing the height of Steve Taylor as either 6'9", 6'8" or 6'7".  And this has been true for some of the other players.

High school sophomores, juniors and seniors usually continue to grow taller.  Thus it makes sense that the players may grow taller than the height they were when recruited.