[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Skipping the big game  (Read 15040 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Skipping the big game
« on: December 28, 2019, 07:30:54 PM »
At least 2 offensive starters for Georgia’s sugar bowl will be skipping the game in order to prepare for the nfl.  3 others will miss for “other” reasons. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28383491/georgia-at-least-5-starters-vs-baylor-sugar-bowl

I realize this may be apples to yoga pants comparisons, but would an ncaa b-ball player skip a sweet 16, elite 8 or final 4 game(s), baring injury or other to prepare for the nba? 

Just throwing this out there-I totally understand, but I wonder how this makes the team feel.  In this case, the quarterback is losing both his tackles.  That can’t make him look real good in this marquis game
don't...don't don't don't don't

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Skipping the big game
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 07:33:58 PM »
Yes they’d skip the S16, E8, or FF of the NIT to prepare for the NBA Draft.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 07:43:54 PM »
Discussed many other places.  Last year, many were advocating for Zion to not return from his knee injury.   With how his rookie season has gone from an injury perspective, maybe they were right.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 07:46:07 PM »
At least 2 offensive starters for Georgia’s sugar bowl will be skipping the game in order to prepare for the nfl.  3 others will miss for “other” reasons. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28383491/georgia-at-least-5-starters-vs-baylor-sugar-bowl

I realize this may be apples to yoga pants comparisons, but would an ncaa b-ball player skip a sweet 16, elite 8 or final 4 game(s), baring injury or other to prepare for the nba? 

Just throwing this out there-I totally understand, but I wonder how this makes the team feel.  In this case, the quarterback is losing both his tackles.  That can’t make him look real good in this marquis game

I hope it comes to it....get this stuff out of college sports. 

Just remember, these kids are playing to win games....LOL.  What a crock.  I get their investment in their bodies and I get their choice, let's just accept the reality that this is what it is....and what kids are choosing now.  The sooner we get this stuff out of the college game, the better.  In the meantime, they'll continue to do it and an aspect of the public will become disenchanted, but they don't see that part. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 07:48:09 PM »
Discussed many other places.  Last year, many were advocating for Zion to not return from his knee injury.   With how his rookie season has gone from an injury perspective, maybe they were right.

GET THIS STUFF OUT OF COLLEGE SPORTS.  Let ZION go directly to the NBA and get this crap out of here.  Force the NBA GMs to do their jobs and evaluate that talent at the high school level...they are quaking in their boots already at the thought of having to sign these kids with almost no real data or competition.  Love it.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 07:49:50 PM »
I hope it comes to it....get this stuff out of college sports. 

Just remember, these kids are playing to win games....LOL.  What a crock.  I get their investment in their bodies and I get their choice, let's just accept the reality that this is what it is....and what kids are choosing now.  The sooner we get this stuff out of the college game, the better.  In the meantime, they'll continue to do it and an aspect of the public will become disenchanted, but they don't see that part.

Now we’re even going to kids aren’t playing to win games? Wow.

Still waiting on just one quote from a 5 star recruit from the list of schools you provided claiming winning wasn’t as high on their list of priorities as getting to the NBA was. Just one. You listed about 10 schools and claimed your conclusion was made based on what you read that they said. Shouldn’t be hard to find a single link proving this.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 07:54:20 PM »

Alrighty then, but my question isn’t skipping the whole thing from the beginning.  What if they played games 1 & 2 or even 3 but decided to bail in one of the big ones, i.e. the final or championship game. I just thought it was an interesting scenario

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2019, 07:57:00 PM »
Remember, there have been quite a few players who have increased their values in these games.  I’m sure there have been some flip sides as well

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2019, 07:58:09 PM »
Now we’re even going to kids aren’t playing to win games? Wow.

Still waiting on just one quote from a 5 star recruit from the list of schools you provided claiming winning wasn’t as high on their list of priorities as getting to the NBA was. Just one. You listed about 10 schools and claimed your conclusion was made based on what you read that they said. Shouldn’t be hard to find a single link proving this.

Markus Howard has never been quoted about Lou Gehrig's disease...therefore he doesn't care about Lou Gehrig's disease.  Theo John has never been quoted about Chinese food in the press, therefore he doesn't like Chinese food.

Look, we can play these games all day if you wish P.  Plenty of quotes about WHY a kid chose a certain school, and for some of them it comes down to:

Coaching staff can get me to the NBA
To get my skills better for the next level
Live my dream of going to the NBA
Etc, etc

SOMEWHERE DOWN HERE, if they bother....because I want to play for a winning college program...or want to win in the college game.

Now, I didn't say all, I didn't even say most or many...I said SOME.  And based on my conversations with agents (whom I deal with nearly daily), networks like the Big Ten Network, ACC, SEC Networks, etc....I know what I'm saying to be true.    There are SOME (which is what I said), that don't give one damn about college, the program or winning...and certainly not going to class....they do so to stay eligible and that is the only reason.  The second they can get out, they get out.  That is what I said....the fact they didn't say a quote "I'm only here for the NBA development" is not what should be looked at.....it's often what is NOT said that is the key, and that's my point.  Most guys go to play college basketball or football because they want to compete, play for a winning program, maybe get a degree, hopefully better themselves at a professional career.....unfortunately or fortunately (depending what you believe) that is NOT the case for SOME of these high level guys who don't give one damn about where or who they are playing for.  Several of the examples I gave you are 100% slam dunks for that distinction.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2019, 08:01:42 PM »
Remember, there have been quite a few players who have increased their values in these games.  I’m sure there have been some flip sides as well

Correct.  Those that think they are rock solid at a certain position in the draft, they will sit out.  Their scholarship dollars should be docked...quite frankly....but oooooohhh, I'm a tyrant because they aren't living up to their agreed upon grant in aid they signed.  Tyranical.   ::)

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2019, 08:17:37 PM »
The amount of outrage one can muster over a hypothetical is truly impressive.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2019, 08:29:42 PM »
Markus Howard has never been quoted about Lou Gehrig's disease...therefore he doesn't care about Lou Gehrig's disease.  Theo John has never been quoted about Chinese food in the press, therefore he doesn't like Chinese food.

Look, we can play these games all day if you wish P.  Plenty of quotes about WHY a kid chose a certain school, and for some of them it comes down to:

Coaching staff can get me to the NBA
To get my skills better for the next level
Live my dream of going to the NBA
Etc, etc

SOMEWHERE DOWN HERE, if they bother....because I want to play for a winning college program...or want to win in the college game.

Now, I didn't say all, I didn't even say most or many...I said SOME.  And based on my conversations with agents (whom I deal with nearly daily), networks like the Big Ten Network, ACC, SEC Networks, etc....I know what I'm saying to be true.    There are SOME (which is what I said), that don't give one damn about college, the program or winning...and certainly not going to class....they do so to stay eligible and that is the only reason.  The second they can get out, they get out.  That is what I said....the fact they didn't say a quote "I'm only here for the NBA development" is not what should be looked at.....it's often what is NOT said that is the key, and that's my point.  Most guys go to play college basketball or football because they want to compete, play for a winning program, maybe get a degree, hopefully better themselves at a professional career.....unfortunately or fortunately (depending what you believe) that is NOT the case for SOME of these high level guys who don't give one damn about where or who they are playing for.  Several of the examples I gave you are 100% slam dunks for that distinction.

Cheeks. You claimed SOME of the players from a list of schools YOU listed said they weren’t as interested in winning as they were in getting ready for the NBA. When I said you didn’t know what their motivations were you claimed I didn’t either. That’s correct. The difference is I didn’t claim to know like you did. YOU claimed you knew this from what YOU READ THEM SAYING. I am asking for ONE example of this. Not ALL the players you claimed cared more about getting to the NBA than winning. Just ONE. Which would fall into “SOME” of these players.

But seems like another case where Cheeks claims he’s read all about something yet when asked for A SINGLE example...victim card comes flying out. Predictable.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2019, 08:32:22 PM »
So does Dawson Garcia not care about winning since he chose Marquette over Kansas and UNC?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2019, 08:33:49 PM »
So does Dawson Garcia not care about winning since he chose Marquette over Kansas and UNC?

Depends. Did Cheeks read it? Or better yet, since the goalposts have now shifted to this so that he can claim he can’t provide documented proof like when he claimed he was reading these things from the recruits but has yet to provide one example of, what did Cheeks hear from the agents he constantly deals with about Dawson NOT saying?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 08:35:49 PM by wadesworld »

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2019, 08:49:05 PM »
Correct.  Those that think they are rock solid at a certain position in the draft, they will sit out.  Their scholarship dollars should be docked...quite frankly....but oooooohhh, I'm a tyrant because they aren't living up to their agreed upon grant in aid they signed.  Tyranical.   ::)

I don’t know if a school could enforce it, but good luck on the recruiting trail after that.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2019, 09:35:25 PM »
The amount of outrage one can muster over a hypothetical is truly impressive.

Seems the outrage is coming from wades who is trying to call Chico’s out on a totally reasonable statement. Cheeks, how much rent you paying wades to live in his head?   ;)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2019, 09:43:54 PM »
Cheeks. You claimed SOME of the players from a list of schools YOU listed said they weren’t as interested in winning as they were in getting ready for the NBA. When I said you didn’t know what their motivations were you claimed I didn’t either. That’s correct. The difference is I didn’t claim to know like you did. YOU claimed you knew this from what YOU READ THEM SAYING. I am asking for ONE example of this. Not ALL the players you claimed cared more about getting to the NBA than winning. Just ONE. Which would fall into “SOME” of these players.

But seems like another case where Cheeks claims he’s read all about something yet when asked for A SINGLE example...victim card comes flying out. Predictable.

You lying about picking games, predictable.

No goalposts changed, P.  None.  Players go through the media drill, we did it with players at every level I have been at...it’s the cliche special about how glad they are to be here, they want to this and that....then there is reality at what actually happens.

James Wiseman...NCAA said he could play come January....he signed with an agent...I’m curious if winning is so important to him why he chose to do that....you know the answer, I know the answer, folks at the AAC definitely know the answer.... up you tell me.   Then we can go through the others if you wish.

Why is it so hard for you to admit some guys just use this as a pit stop....hell, they are encouraged to do just that...forget school second semester as eligibility doesn’t matter, limit your practices, do enough to keep your brand and game going forward...get your shots, show what you can do.    You should spend time with some NCAA coaches some time off the record.  Again, SOME players do this.  My fear, this gets a lot worse in the future until they get the one and done stuff eliminated.  Too many people talking in their ears, they are making decisions solely for them...winning way down the list, if it exists at all.  But sure, you believe in fairy tales if you wish.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2019, 09:44:40 PM »
Seems the outrage is coming from wades who is trying to call Chico’s out on a totally reasonable statement. Cheeks, how much rent you paying wades to live in his head?   ;)

Min wage...he went hard for it

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2019, 09:50:36 PM »

As much as I’m paying to live in yours apparently.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2019, 09:52:44 PM »
You lying about picking games, predictable.

No goalposts changed, P.  None.  Players go through the media drill, we did it with players at every level I have been at...it’s the cliche special about how glad they are to be here, they want to this and that....then there is reality at what actually happens.

James Wiseman...NCAA said he could play come January....he signed with an agent...I’m curious if winning is so important to him why he chose to do that....you know the answer, I know the answer, folks at the AAC definitely know the answer.... up you tell me.   Then we can go through the others if you wish.

Why is it so hard for you to admit some guys just use this as a pit stop....hell, they are encouraged to do just that...forget school second semester as eligibility doesn’t matter, limit your practices, do enough to keep your brand and game going forward...get your shots, show what you can do.    You should spend time with some NCAA coaches some time off the record.  Again, SOME players do this.  My fear, this gets a lot worse in the future until they get the one and done stuff eliminated.  Too many people talking in their ears, they are making decisions solely for them...winning way down the list, if it exists at all.  But sure, you believe in fairy tales if you wish.

Aka “I said I read these players saying what I claimed they said, but I really didn’t.”

Thank you for confirming what we all knew already.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2019, 09:56:29 PM »
As much as I’m paying to live in yours apparently.

Nope,  Just a big fan of yours buddy

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2019, 10:01:19 PM »
Min wage...he went hard for it

You live in everyone’s head that reads Scoop. Are we at 7K posts in 13 months now? Good thing you’re not going to be here all that often or the cost of rent might be quite a bit more. Thanks for the cheep living!

Nope,  Just a big fan of yours buddy

Got it. That makes a lot of sense. Thank you, I appreciate knowing I have a fan on here.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2019, 10:28:02 PM »

This has been discussed numerous times on Scoop already. But sure, we can discuss it again.

And you're right ... your example is apples to yoga pants.

If you want apples to apples, compare sitting out one of tonight's college football playoff games to sitting out an NCAA
basketball tournament game

It hasn't happened. It likely won't happen. Because those games all matter, and these athletes want to win championships.

Al McGuire has been deified by some Scoopers for gallantly ordering Chones to quit on a legitimate championship contender so Chones could  take care of himself financially.

What these football players are doing is skipping a glorified exhibition game so they don't ruin their financial future. There is at least one example of a top-50 draft prospect - Michigan's Jake Butt 3 years ago - who chose to play a non-playoff bowl game, got hurt, and it cost him millions and millions of dollars.

That same year, McCaffrey and Fournette skipped their bowl games, and took some heat for it, but they are making big bucks. McCaffrey has gone on to be one of the best players in the NFL.

That's capitalism, baby!

You want to claw back their scholarships? That's actually not all that unreasonable ... but try selling it to future recruits, unless it becomes a national policy (which it won't).

What do their teammates think? Well, all we can go by are the public comments of extreme support for guys like McCaffrey and Fournette. Maybe some resent it, but I have not seen or heard that kind of reaction.

What if guys start to skip 5 or 10 or 20 college games (depending on the sport)? Well, what if? Chones did just that, and his teammates and coaches endorsed it (as do many Scoopers now).

10-15 years into a dentist's career, he or she is just starting to make real money. Most pro athletes don't have careers half (or even a quarter) that long. They have to protect their earning power when they can and maximize it as early as they realistically can.

Have a nice night.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2019, 11:06:12 PM »
Aka “I said I read these players saying what I claimed they said, but I really didn’t.”

Thank you for confirming what we all knew already.

Still lying....you betting or not...$500....man up or go to your room...

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2019, 11:08:25 PM »
You live in everyone’s head that reads Scoop. Are we at 7K posts in 13 months now? Good thing you’re not going to be here all that often or the cost of rent might be quite a bit more. Thanks for the cheep living!

Got it. That makes a lot of sense. Thank you, I appreciate knowing I have a fan on here.

Cheep...cheep..cheep...LOL....yes, you are cheep (sic)...

Everyone...nobody in the world...always...never....forever....yup, you are awesome with the broad strokes.  PAT yourself on the back, P.

feedback