collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette: McAdams matter FAQs  (Read 50189 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Marquette: McAdams matter FAQs
« Reply #150 on: April 24, 2016, 01:36:13 PM »
I know.  If Marquette could only be known as "the Zipcar of higher education."  All would be good.

You can mock Robin Chase all you want but she is a gifted thinker and deft leader of people.

I have pointed you to two of her works that will illustrate how she has successfully managed crises in order to provide insight but you have chosen to not avail yourself of her experience and wisdom. Frankly, for one who presumes a position of intellectual authority I would expect a keener sense of curiosity and openness instead of the signature dismissive hubris you so often resort to when reason and logic confound you.

Marquette has mishandled the McAdams matter and it will probably pay a stiff penalty for that in court. I am disappointed that this was not handled more effectively.

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #151 on: April 24, 2016, 01:37:33 PM »
You can mock Robin Chase all you want but she is a gifted thinker and deft leader of people.

I have pointed you to two of her works that will illustrate how she has successfully managed crises in order to provide insight but you have chosen to not avail yourself of her experience and wisdom. Frankly, for one who presumes a position of intellectual authority I would expect a keener sense of curiosity and openness instead of the signature dismissive hubris you so often resort to when reason and logic confound you.

Marquette has mishandled the McAdams matter and it will probably pay a stiff penalty for that in court. I am disappointed that this was not handled more effectively.

Honestly I know nothing about Robin Chase or Zipcar.  I only keep bringing it up to get you fired up.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #152 on: April 24, 2016, 01:40:22 PM »

Honestly I know nothing about Robin Chase or Zipcar.  I only keep bringing it up to get you fired up.

I can assure you that you exercise no influence over my life.

We live in different worlds, Sultan.

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #153 on: April 24, 2016, 01:41:51 PM »
I can assure you that you exercise no influence over my life.

Your actions speak otherwise.  It's hilarious. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #154 on: April 24, 2016, 06:46:22 PM »

Me too.

Even if Marquette loses, they stood for what's right.  I applaud that.

In one case, and failed miserably in another.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #155 on: April 24, 2016, 06:54:33 PM »

Me too.

Even if Marquette loses, they stood for what's right.  I applaud that.

You mean they stood for what is right (in your opinion) in one situation, but did not in the other one.  Maybe a one hand clap?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #156 on: April 24, 2016, 06:57:05 PM »
You mean they stood for what is right (in your opinion) in one situation, but did not in the other one.  Maybe a one hand clap?

I have said that I think the Associate Dean should lose his job.  We will see how that goes.  If he doesn't, I will be upset at them.

But I support them with regards to McAdams.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #157 on: April 24, 2016, 09:52:21 PM »
How is the enrollment year-to-year for McAdams's classes?
SS Marquette

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #158 on: April 26, 2016, 08:28:02 PM »

I agree with this analysis.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #159 on: April 27, 2016, 04:16:16 AM »
I agree with this analysis.

i love and appreciate the profundity of the statement. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

mayfairskatingrink

• Starter
« Reply #160 on: April 27, 2016, 03:52:29 PM »
Word is out that David Prosser is retiring from the WI Supreme Court, and I would bet the next appointment will be more conservative, so MU's job winning there just got more difficult.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 03:55:47 PM by mayfairskatingrink »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #161 on: April 27, 2016, 05:14:49 PM »
Word is out that David Prosser is retiring from the WI Supreme Court, and I would bet the next appointment will be more conservative, so MU's job winning there just got more difficult.

can they get anymore conservative?  i mean, i'm not complaining, just wondering

mayfairskatingrink

• Starter
« Reply #162 on: April 29, 2016, 05:31:04 PM »
can they get anymore conservative?  i mean, i'm not complaining, just wondering

Actually, Prosser had started to side with Ann Walsh Bradley and Shirley Abrahamson a bit and was not seen as a "reliable" conservative vote anymore.

mayfairskatingrink

• Starter
« Reply #163 on: April 29, 2016, 05:32:08 PM »
McAdams and Rick Essenberg are holding a press conference on Monday.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #164 on: April 29, 2016, 05:38:05 PM »
Actually, Prosser had started to side with Ann Walsh Bradley and Shirley Abrahamson a bit and was not seen as a "reliable" conservative vote anymore.

really?  you mean he was seeing eye to eye with the one he tried to choke out?  i'm not doubting you, just shocked i guess.  and abrahamson is one of the most divisive justices ever

mayfairskatingrink

• Starter
« Reply #165 on: May 01, 2016, 10:26:25 AM »
really?  you mean he was seeing eye to eye with the one he tried to choke out?  i'm not doubting you, just shocked i guess.  and abrahamson is one of the most divisive justices ever

Have you ever met Prosser?  He's too frail to choke out a 5 yr old.  That whole incident was started by Ann Walsh Bradley.  If you told the five conservatives on the court they could get rid of either Abrahamson or Walsh Bradley, they would all choose Ann.  She's the biggest cause of any discord on the court.  Always looking to try and get the others in trouble and always leaking to the media.  Just an awful, awful woman.

And, yeah, he was so gun-shy about any conflict that he was beginning to bend over backwards to see their POV.

BTW, he didn't just decide to retire.  He had planned to stay another year or two before calling it quits, but was strongly advised to get out now by some influential people in Madison.

mayfairskatingrink

• Starter
« Reply #166 on: May 02, 2016, 09:35:20 AM »
Channel 6 will be playing the recording that started this controversy on the 9pm news tonight.

mayfairskatingrink

• Starter
« Reply #167 on: May 02, 2016, 10:26:45 AM »
The court battle is underway.

McAdams sues Marquette University for Breach of Contract...

http://www.will-law.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/2016-05-02-File-Stamped-SC-with-Exhibits.pdf

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #168 on: May 02, 2016, 11:28:30 AM »
Marquette fumbles another one...

Death on call

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #169 on: May 02, 2016, 11:38:07 AM »

not only is MU going to be parting with some cash for a settlement and for attorney fees.  but all the delicious PR that goes with it.  it will be interesting to see how the media will cover this.  vicki mckenna just had him on WISN

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #170 on: May 02, 2016, 12:12:57 PM »
Marquette fumbles another one...

Not to be drawn back into this but by doing exactly what?  This lawsuit was a 100% certainty.  I skimmed the Complaint.  Exactly what I'd expect.

jsglow

• All American
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 02:55:51 PM by jsglow »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #172 on: May 02, 2016, 03:50:30 PM »
For your reading pleasure.  Publicly released today by the university.

https://news.marquette.edu/statement-from-marquette-university-on-associate-professor-john-mcadams/

http://marquette.edu/leadership/documents/20160118-MUFHC-Final-Report-Contested-Dismissal-Dr-John-C-McAdams.pdf

I'm furious Marquette decided to communicate about this over this new-fangled interweb. Don't they know the only way these statements should be published is by Town Crier

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #173 on: May 02, 2016, 04:17:00 PM »
The court battle is underway.

McAdams sues Marquette University for Breach of Contract...

http://www.will-law.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/2016-05-02-File-Stamped-SC-with-Exhibits.pdf

Yep.

Idk about that.

It sounds like a run-of-the-mill breach of contract case (same as Salaita's UIUC case).

This is an open and shut case.  MU is going to lose/settle and lose/settle bad--as they should.  MU emphasizes her status as a graduate student to gain PR points.  But McAdams will note that she was instructor of record.  As such, he was criticizing a peer.  I'm confident that the court will agree with him. 

Then I question myself: Why would MU walk into a battle that they know they will lose? 

Here are two hypotheses.

1) It's possible that MU is doing the whole song and dance solely for PR points: 'Wow I'm so proud of MU for standing up for its students!  Go MU!  Ra-ra-ra way to stand up to bullies!!'.  This PR campaign, though, comes at the expense of free-speech PR points: 'Wow I'm disappointed that MU didn't stand up for free speech/academic freedom'.  Which of these two do you think potential MU-parents care more about?  Let me put it differently.  Which PR take do you think tuition-paying parents and the majority of alums would take?  Exactly.

2) Many people at MU genuinely dislike McAdams, perhaps both personally and professionally.  The settlement and legal fees are simply the cost of getting rid of a nuisance. 

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #174 on: May 02, 2016, 05:07:46 PM »
But McAdams will note that she was instructor of record.  As such, he was criticizing a peer.

Your first sentence may be correct. But the leap you take in the conclusion could not be further.