'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 5 Years, 28 Weeks Today...  (Read 12708 times)

LloydMooresLegs

Re: 5 Years, 28 Weeks Today...
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2013, 03:06:05 PM »
 >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2013, 03:07:36 PM »
In my revised assessment, Crean was pretty much perfect.

1. He took over a program on the decline and brought it up several notches injecting the program with a good deal of new energy while doing it.

2. When his early success led to regular offers to coach elsewhere, he declined them to stay put.

3. He had the program prepared to step up when the Big East opportunity came along, so the school looked good in tough new company.

4. He put together a team that made a final four run.

5. When his head got too big, and he became insufferable, he had the good sense to leave.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: 6 years, 3 months, 8 days ago
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2013, 03:11:46 PM »
...Who was replaced by stud Kevin Menard...

Who was only brought in in an attempt to influence his younger teammate, James Augustine to join him the next year.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2013, 03:13:59 PM »
Lenny

I'm not sure what was more shameful - getting humiliated at home against Western Michigan in the NIT or our shameful first half against Michigan State in the NCAA?

The implosion against Western Michigan was scary bad, but our futility against MSU was epic also. It was 14-0 with just over 10 minutes left in the half. I doubt there's been an NCAA game in the shot clock era that matches it for offensive ineptitude. The game was played at a snail's pace but still had 30 TOs (15 apiece). Unwatchable.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2013, 03:19:06 PM »
The Final Four was great. Awesome even. But it was one season out of nine. And in his 5 years here after the FF, TC whiffed altogether twice (NIT) and won a grand total of 1 NCAA tournament game (the one that Buzz did the scouting report for). In three years with his own players, Buzz has won a Big East title and finished 2nd once (14-4 back to back) and has 7 NCAA tournament wins. That's a far cry from "continuing" what his predecessor was doing. He's already lapped him.

Not considering creans third nit year a wiff?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2013, 03:23:10 PM »
Not considering creans third nit year a wiff?

I didn't count his first two years (NIT whiff and total no tournament whiff) against him as he was coaching someone else's players. Didn't count Buzz'z first two years either.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2013, 03:37:28 PM »
Who was only brought in in an attempt to influence his younger teammate, James Augustine to join him the next year.

I forgot about that. As soon as it was clear Augustine was going to Illinois Crean cut Menard loose. Menard landed at UW-Parkside which is where he belonged all along.

Death on call

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2013, 03:40:14 PM »
I didn't count his first two years (NIT whiff and total no tournament whiff) against him as he was coaching someone else's players. Didn't count Buzz'z first two years either.

Gotcha, was just curious
Maigh Eo for Sam

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2013, 04:10:18 PM »
Lenny

I'm not sure what was more shameful - getting humiliated at home against Western Michigan in the NIT or our shameful first half against Michigan State in the NCAA?

Plenty of shameful moments over the years.  Losing to UW Green Bay.  Losing to Western Michigan in the NIT.  Blowing a huge lead in the NCAAs to Washington.  Things happen.  Also some great wins over the years.  Over #1 Kentucky, over #4 Pittsburgh, UCONN, Louisville wins, Syracuse, Wake Forest, Indiana, etc....or the great wins of recent years like G'Town, Syracuse, Miami, Butler, etc.

To each their own.  Both have provided some historic, great wins.  Both have provided some piss down your leg clunkers. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2013, 04:11:48 PM »
Wait, so is getting to the Final Four considered "taking a program to the next level" or is it just a crapshoot?

It's an incredible feat done 3 times in the history of the program and only once by a guy not named McGuire.  It's also a crapshoot....you need a little luck...who you play, when you play, etc.  Most teams that make it that far have a scare or a bout of good fortune.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2013, 04:16:42 PM »
The Final Four was great. Awesome even. But it was one season out of nine. And in his 5 years here after the FF, TC whiffed altogether twice (NIT) and won a grand total of 1 NCAA tournament game (the one that Buzz did the scouting report for). In three years with his own players, Buzz has won a Big East title and finished 2nd once (14-4 back to back) and has 7 NCAA tournament wins. That's a far cry from "continuing" what his predecessor was doing. He's already lapped him.

It was awesome even.  Cool. 

Buzz has done a great job. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2013, 04:18:15 PM »
My John Beilein and Tommy Amaker is a pair of kings to your Bill Self and Tanned Tommy which is a king and a joker.

That's ok.  Self has several Final Fours and a title, a bunch of conference championships.  TC has a Big Ten title and a Final four.  Amaker....does well in the Ivy League, no success in the bigs.  Beilein I think is an outstanding coach, maybe this year he gets his first Big Ten title.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2013, 06:55:47 PM »
Beilein I think is an outstanding coach, maybe this year he gets his first Big Ten title.

I guess coaching Michigan to the Championship game last April doesn't merit consideration for the mantle, "Outstanding Coach?" After all, that is rarified air not yet inhaled by the Bronzed Beast of Bloomington.

So, It's Indiana, It's Indiana was not only the Pre-Season favorite to win it all but they won the Big 10 Title along the way. They had two Lottery Pick All American players leading them. They certainly must have advanced further in the tournament than John Beilein's Michigan squad.

I'm not sure which is more shameful: Not cashing in on significant pre-season promise or hanging a banner after midnight on a night your team has lost?

Perhaps the most telling counterpoint between the two men, however, is illustrated by the events and aftermath of Indiana's victory over Michigan at Crisler last March. Rather than celebrate with his team, Crean used the moment to chase down Michigan Assistant Coach Jeff Meyer and berate him for some imagined problems from years past. In a bizarre incident that defies explanation Crean launched a verbal assault against Meyer, screaming repeatedly, "You know what you did! You know what you did! You helped wreck the program! You helped wreck our program!"

As the cameras rolled and cameras clicked Crean began laughing hysterically at his own wit. Meyer, on the other hand, maintained the poise and dignity expected of a senior staff member at a major university.

Later, when asked about Crean's ridiculous behavior Beilein replied, "I'm not going to comment on another coach or another university. I will say that Michigan is always going to win with class, and they're going to lose with class. We're never going to use victory or defeat as a platform for any frustrations we're going to have. I'm really proud of the way Jeff showed great poise and handled himself in the aftermath of the disappointment in that loss. He's a great coach and he's helped us rebuild this program brick by brick, side by side with me. I am grateful and pleased to have Jeff Meyer on the sideline with us."

Refreshing. How very refreshing. Michigan is fortunate to have gentlemen representing a great University. Can every school say the same?

« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 06:58:38 PM by keefe »

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2013, 07:02:43 PM »
Tell me the cop isn't pissed 'cause she has to round up Crean and have him tested for rabies.

"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2013, 07:21:18 PM »
I guess coaching Michigan to the Championship game last April doesn't merit consideration for the mantle, "Outstanding Coach?" After all, that is rarified air not

Uhm, I'll repeat, JB is an outstanding coach...so not only does he merit consideration for the mantle of Outstanding Coach, it's actually exactly what I said. That is, he is an Outstanding Coach  :o

Everything else we have already discussed ad nauseum.  Crean was out of line, Meyer is a douche from Sampson's staff, etc, etc.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2013, 07:36:52 PM »
I guess coaching Michigan to the Championship game last April doesn't merit consideration for the mantle, "Outstanding Coach?" After all, that is rarified air not yet inhaled by the Bronzed Beast of Bloomington.

So, It's Indiana, It's Indiana was not only the Pre-Season favorite to win it all but they won the Big 10 Title along the way. They had two Lottery Pick All American players leading them. They certainly must have advanced further in the tournament than John Beilein's Michigan squad.

I'm not sure which is more shameful: Not cashing in on significant pre-season promise or hanging a banner after midnight on a night your team has lost?

Perhaps the most telling counterpoint between the two men, however, is illustrated by the events and aftermath of Indiana's victory over Michigan at Crisler last March. Rather than celebrate with his team, Crean used the moment to chase down Michigan Assistant Coach Jeff Meyer and berate him for some imagined problems from years past. In a bizarre incident that defies explanation Crean launched a verbal assault against Meyer, screaming repeatedly, "You know what you did! You know what you did! You helped wreck the program! You helped wreck our program!"

As the cameras rolled and cameras clicked Crean began laughing hysterically at his own wit. Meyer, on the other hand, maintained the poise and dignity expected of a senior staff member at a major university.

Later, when asked about Crean's ridiculous behavior Beilein replied, "I'm not going to comment on another coach or another university. I will say that Michigan is always going to win with class, and they're going to lose with class. We're never going to use victory or defeat as a platform for any frustrations we're going to have. I'm really proud of the way Jeff showed great poise and handled himself in the aftermath of the disappointment in that loss. He's a great coach and he's helped us rebuild this program brick by brick, side by side with me. I am grateful and pleased to have Jeff Meyer on the sideline with us."

Refreshing. How very refreshing. Michigan is fortunate to have gentlemen representing a great University. Can every school say the same?

I am consistently entertained and amazed at the series of pictures you attach to posts, but you've outdone yourself here. Says it all.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2013, 07:52:16 PM »
Uhm, I'll repeat, JB is an outstanding coach...so not only does he merit consideration for the mantle of Outstanding Coach, it's actually exactly what I said. That is, he is an Outstanding Coach  :o

Everything else we have already discussed ad nauseum.  Crean was out of line, Meyer is a douche from Sampson's staff, etc, etc.

"Beilein I think is an outstanding coach, maybe this year he gets his first Big Ten title."

C'mon, Jamie. This is damning with very, very faint praise...

Death on call

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2013, 08:24:22 PM »
"Beilein I think is an outstanding coach, maybe this year he gets his first Big Ten title."

It's the way he praises our own coach and others from teams he dislikes. The only coaches (to my recollection) he's "all in" on are Crean, Bo Ryan, Stew Morrill (sp?) and maybe Izzo.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2013, 08:46:08 PM »

Any Marquette fan who's not ecstatic that the Bronze Beast took his talents to Bloomington should read the text and look at the pictures.

I'm not normally a fan of an AD publicly chastising his coaches, but where in God's name was Fred Glass in all of this? Disgraceful. Probably should have been canned on the spot, but that 16 M buyout made it impossible.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2013, 08:59:24 PM »

Sigh

I said he is an outstanding coach, I meant he is an outstanding coach.  It is hard to win the Big Ten title over the course of 3 months....you have to be good for a long period of time.  As we have seen more than our share, some teams get to the Final Four because it is a crap shoot or they get hot at the right time.  MU in 1977 according to some guy named Al McGuire said it  not only wasn't his best team but not the best team in the tournament, George Mason, Wichita State, Butler, UCONN....UCONN couldn't do better than a 9 seed in their own conference and won it all.  It's a great accomplishment, so is winning a conference regular season title.

Doesn't make him any less of an outstanding coach.  Go back and read what I said about him at WVU....always thought he was an outstanding coach.  

Not sure what else I can tell you, that's the deal.  

Buzz is a great coach and Tony can get upset and be defensive all he wants about it, but that's how I feel.  I'm all in on Buzz, Tony.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2013, 09:01:00 PM »
5 years, 28 weeks? Really?

This is like one of those idiotic stats: "So-and-so is the only the third American League player in the modern era with 2200 hits, 325 stolen bases and 430 doubles."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2013, 09:42:20 PM »
Tap, maybe you should become an AD.  You seem to know how several departments should be run.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2013, 09:42:44 PM »

Is JD's post from 2010 because Belein already has won a big ten regular season title.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2013, 10:01:39 PM »
Tap, maybe you should become an AD.  You seem to know how several departments should be run.

I think you're on record as removing your hat from the AD ring because you don't want your family to suffer from what would be a major pay cut. I salute your selflessly eschewing the bright lights for your wife and children.

I wouldn't be taking a pay cut, but wouldn't take the MU job because I'm grossly unqualified. I would take the IU gig though.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2013, 10:13:00 PM »
I think you're on record as removing your hat from the AD ring because you don't want your family to suffer from what would be a major pay cut. I salute your selflessly eschewing the bright lights for your wife and children.

I wouldn't be taking a pay cut, but wouldn't take the MU job because I'm grossly unqualified. I would take the IU gig though.

Yes, humor is often lost on the elderly, as it was that day.  That's ok.  I'm actually fairly close to going into the non-profit world and I'm looking forward to it immensely if it all works out.  I don't wish to die a young man as my father did and am fortunate to be taking steps to avoid that.  I'd like to be around for my wife and children, if you know what I mean.

If you are unqualified for the MU job, you wouldn't get to sweep the floors for the IU job.  Football, owned facilities, having to deal with the state gov't....tougher gig.  I think you know that.

Have a great evening.