[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Correct Me If I'm Wrong  (Read 5127 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Correct Me If I'm Wrong
« on: April 06, 2007, 08:06:10 PM »
In his introduction at WVU today, Bob Huggins stressed the point that contrary to popular opinion, he is concerned with student athlete's grades and graduation rates.
In fact, he states that people forget he graduated magna cum laude and had a 3.97 GPA and therefore values education. Seems to me someone with that high of a GPA should have graduated summa cum laude. I recollect magna cum laude is for a 3.5 GPA, but I could be in error.
Regardless, I'd like to see his transcript because its more likely Huggins graduated Muchum Cum Lousy.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Knight Commission

• All American
Re: Correct Me If I'm Wrong
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 08:10:10 PM »
I am shocked the Big East let this scumbag in.  Where are your balls Mike T?

And when OJ Mayo reneges on his commitment to USC......

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 08:11:53 PM »
If he would have said egregia cum laude I would have been really impressed.

But to answer your question, it depends on the institution ... they decide what the criteria is.

If someone as stupid as I can graduate with those honors, then certainly Huggins can.   :D

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 08:13:27 PM »

OJ isn't reneging and Nurse Nancy was the reason Bobby didn't coach at UC, not Tranghese.

TT13

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 02:58:12 AM »
Why would OJ Mayo not go to USC when he is already running the program there.

Mayo went through the priority list in his mind. "Don't worry about recruiting," he said. "I'll take care of it."

Before Floyd hung up, he asked one more time for Mayo's cellphone number. "No," Mayo said. "I'll call you."

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 12:30:11 PM »
This may not be popular but IMO Huggy Bear was the victim of tremendous negative, uninformed press.  Look at his players, sure he had thugs but most of those guys committed their crimes before or very early on in their Cinci hoops days.  You didnt seem to hear about upperclassmen doing bad stuff.  Bob took troubled kids and got them to play a very demanding style of ball emphasizing great defence etc.  Its great that someone only recruits "good" kids but it ba an easy way out.  Deane's bringing Bart Miller etc was more a way for him to not have to do any worrying, I truley believe Huggy brought in "bad" kids with good hearts so he could help them.  As for his grad rate he was a victim of an old policy that gave you no points for jucos graduating.  I remember one year his team led CUSA in GPA.  Bob's no saint but he's not as bad as people make him out to be.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

augoman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 09:22:53 PM »
I'm thrilled to have him back in the big east..., believe he 'upgrades' our conference as a coach.  I always referred to him as 'the warden', and thought he was as strict a disciplinarian as I'd had the pleasure to see in action, including Bobby Knight.  I remember a game in Cincy, vs MU- Mike Deane era, when a player didn't execute the D that Huggy called;  he instantly subbed him, grabbed his shirt on the side lines, pulled it off him and sent him to the lockers.  It might have been frustration, but the rest of the team played the D of their lives after that.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 12:13:09 AM »
Throwback coach. In the Bobby Knight mold. Great coaching pedigree...

Must say, I hated Bobby HugNKiss at UC, but the MU-UC rivalry games were my #1 games of the season!!!

Definite upgrade at WVU. Bielien (sp?) was a good coach, but Hugs brings history, notoriety, and a BIGGER name to the Big Beast.

Worst UC memory...Fortson for THREE! Dude was a beast...
SS Marquette

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 06:56:04 AM »
I don't mind Huggins back in the conference.  Although he's had some questionable run-ins with the law he is a disciplinary.  I had a friend who worked security for the Hilton while at Marquette and he gave 2 stories of Huggins taking control of his players.  Apparently if they got even a little bit noisy or out of control he'd have them run the stairs in hotel to "wear" them out.  I don't know about his graduation rate but I know he had complete control of those guys while they were in his program.

Final Four or Bust

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 08:16:05 AM »
Worst UC memory...Fortson for THREE! Dude was a beast...

. . . and as a post player who was always on the line, he never seemed to miss a FT.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 08:20:17 AM »

mayo signed an LOI.  can't renege without sitting out a year...

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 08:21:14 AM »
The word complete might be a little strong. I remember that center or power forward  who hit the jumper to beat us 3 or 4 years ago. I believe he was arrested for torturing his roommate. Tying up and ....?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 09:12:30 AM »
The word complete might be a little strong. I remember that center or power forward  who hit the jumper to beat us 3 or 4 years ago. I believe he was arrested for torturing his roommate. Tying up and ....?

Donald Little, I think.

I HATED that guy. I can't believe he hit that baseline jumper to beat MU. I remember that vividly.

TheNightOwl

• Walk-On
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 10:56:02 AM »
THE EVIL EMPIRE RETURNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CUE THE DARTH VADER THEME MUSIC...... :o

MUCrisco

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 12:21:00 PM »
I don't know how anyone can defend Huggins.  I do think he has a lot of basketball knowledge.  In fact, I have adopted his defensive philosophy.  However, there is more to coaching that just winning games.  Graduation rates is just part of it.

Donald Little
This Cincinnati center was dismissed from the team just last week after he was charged with kidnapping, beating and burning his roommate. He pleaded innocent to charges of felonious assault and kidnapping. He was released from Hamilton County jail on a $50,000 bond while he awaits trial. If convicted he could be sentenced to 20 years in prison. According to the police report, roommate Justin Hodge said the player accused him of stealing money, then hit him on the head with a whiskey bottle. Hodge also said he was tied with tape to a plastic lawn chair, burned with incense and beaten, the police report said. Hodge told police he was stabbed when he tried to escape.

This was after he did this:
Previous run-ins with the law:
  • September, 2001: Pleaded guilty to reduced charge of persistent disorderly conduct for assaulting a female tavern manager.
  • July, 2001: Pleaded guilty to reduced charges of reckless driving, an open-container violation and having no driver's license in his possessiont. A marijuana possession charge and a speeding allegation were dropped.
  • More: Citations in Ohio dating to February 1999 for driving without a license, disorderly conduct, open-container violations and weaving while driving a vehicle.

http://www.cincypost.com/2003/05/24/lonnie05-24-2003.html

Bearcats build on the wrong records

These days, it should be all good for the University of Cincinnati basketball team.
Bob Huggins is still around. The season of rebuilding has been survived. Ground has been broken on the vast Varsity Village. And, the legal system permitting, a sterling class of recruits is headed to Clifton.

The complication, of course, is that the best of those, 6-foot-10 center Robert Whaley, was arrested this month on two felony counts of aggravated battery back at his Kansas junior college. The Bearcats draw the line at felony.

This nettlesome policy may also have a bearing on one of Whaley's potential front-court mates, sophomore-to-be Eric Hicks, whose problem is aggravated assault. That's how they classify throwing a beer bottle at a woman in a bar.

And so it goes.

This story is getting as old as the cottage cheese in the back of the refrigerator, and smelling worse. The criminal charges against Whaley and Hicks add to a distinguished litany of Bearcat arrests over the past dozen years, joining those associated with Donald Little for DUI , marijuana possession, and felony kidnapping and assault (what roommate torturing is officially called), B.J. Grove for domestic violence, Eugene Land for shoplifting, Jerome Harper (before he could make it to campus) for assault, D'Juan Baker for felonious assault (hitting his girlfriend in the head with a flower pot), Shawn Myrick for sexual battery, Art Long for domestic violence and hitting a police horse named Cody, Danny Fortson for disorderly conduct, Damon Flint for domestic violence and unauthorized use of property, Ruben Patterson for aggravated burglary, Dontonio Wingfield for criminal trespass (trashing his mother's kitchen) and obstruction of officers (kicking a cop in the stomach), and Louis Banks for rape and sexual assault.

Some of the charges above were eventually dismissed and some of the Bearcats were ultimately acquitted, guilty of no more than common collegiate knuckleheadedness. After a while, though, you'd think they'd stay out of bars and girls' apartments.

You know those displays they have at airports now that show the things you can't carry onto the plane -- guns, box cutters, chainsaws and the like? At the door of the basketball locker room, UC needs a display like that, a glass case containing all the things players aren't allowed to touch -- among them, beer bottles, beer cans, beer glasses, drugs, police horses, roommates, other people's stuff and women.

It certainly needs something to discourage the less prudent Bearcats from burying the program under the fallout of their terrible judgment. Why would Huggins want to stick around for this? Why would a mother send her son to program whose records are stored at the county courthouse?

One might submit that Cincinnati should not be singled out for the unfortunate conduct of its taller athletes. Similarly bad things have been done by players attending the universities of Kentucky, Missouri, Ohio State, Louisville, etc. Just not as often.

Which leads us to the question of why, oh why.

The easy answer is that Huggins recruits bad guys. In fact, that's a little too easy.

A little discretion would certainly go a long way, and standards should never be bartered in the interest of tournament bids. But it's also true that the really good guys -- the irreproachable recruits, the grassy-campus types with grade-A games and collegiate ideals -- tend to be tied up with visits to places like Duke, Stanford and North Carolina. Cincinnati is generally as fine a university as, say, Kentucky or Michigan State, but, unlike those, its larger community is not defined by the school colors.

It is, by contrast, an urban institution attractive to kids unimpressed with classic college towns. Not surprisingly, some of them arrive with street-crafted lifestyles, and perhaps -- even preferably, in some respects -- chips on their high-riding shoulders.

Cornered into risk-taking, Huggins likes his Bearcats a little edgy. Observing an athlete in a high school competition, he and his recruiters might detect a mean streak and appreciate its effect on a basketball game. In that setting, they might not see its effect when the game's over.

Let it be said that there's nothing inherently wrong with the education and nurturing of second-chance kids. (Nor do all of UC's fit that description. There are few better citizens, for instance, than Leonard Stokes and Immanuel McElroy.)

At its best, Huggins' program prepares Kenyon Martin and Nick Van Exel for dominant roles in the NBA playoffs. Both carry baggage, but at this May moment, playing better than ever, they're impressionably viewed at the leading edge of inspired basketball. As they close in on the league finals, the former Cincinnati stars are heaping distinction upon their old school.

They are being badly out-heaped, however, by the criminal charges that continue to pile up on the Clifton campus. Right now, they're only charges -- Whaley and Hicks have not yet had their days in court -- but in the end, neither judge nor jury can restore the reputation of UC basketball.

Only the players can do that