[Today at 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[Today at 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[Today at 10:37:13 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What's Up With Swilling?  (Read 6702 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
What's Up With Swilling?
« on: April 14, 2010, 03:02:08 PM »
You know, the cat from Norlins whose father played linebacker.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Clam Crowder

• All American
Re: What's Up With Swilling?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 09:01:58 PM »
All I could find was that he is a two sport athlete leaning towards football. Couldn't find anything on ESPN

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 09:03:45 PM »
Buzz supposedly went to see him directly from the BE Tourney.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 09:04:31 PM »
I would love to see some site saying how good he is, or giving me some background. What year??

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 09:06:17 PM »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 09:15:28 PM »
a 2 star guard? why would he be mentioned? I like to see the 3 pt shooting skill, but someone tell me why another guard??

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 09:16:12 PM »
Buzz supposedly went to see him directly from the BE Tourney.

I believe that he's still lining up his visits.  Schools: Colorado (football), Alabama (B-ball), Oklahoma (B-ball), UCLA (B-ball) & Marquette(B-ball?)

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 09:17:54 PM »
I see hes a lock down defender that can shoot the 3, but why would we be interested in signing a guard this late? I want the focus to be on a big guy

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 09:24:52 PM »
12 + 3,
Dude, it don't matter what you want. Besides, didn't you get the email? It's a guard's game.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 09:28:06 PM »
12 + 3,
Dude, it don't matter what you want. Besides, didn't you get the email? It's a guard's game.

Sure seems that way by all the guards Buzz is going after.....just teasing, I'm sure he (and us) would love a 6'8" or bigger kid that could actually play (no stiffs)

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 09:30:09 PM »
I see hes a lock down defender that can shoot the 3, but why would we be interested in signing a guard this late? I want the focus to be on a big guy

I think you made that point on the Newbill thread you started.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 09:50:24 PM »
This isnt the newbill thread is it? pretty sure its not. I dont want a 2 star guard. period.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 09:19:11 AM »
relax on the whole star system.  Those stars are primarily based on AAAu performances whereby a "guru" can see 100+ kids on a weekend.    If bama, LSU, UCLA, and Mu have offered i will predict he is a pretty damn good player.  Going back to Texas A&M thru today buzz has not signed too many kids that were not really really good. 

people can question buzzes coaches or anything like that but i think Buzz at this point should be above questioning on his ability asess talnet and his ability to go get it.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 10:03:25 AM »
relax on the whole star system.  Those stars are primarily based on AAAu performances whereby a "guru" can see 100+ kids on a weekend.    If bama, LSU, UCLA, and Mu have offered i will predict he is a pretty damn good player.  Going back to Texas A&M thru today buzz has not signed too many kids that were not really really good. 

people can question buzzes coaches or anything like that but i think Buzz at this point should be above questioning on his ability asess talnet and his ability to go get it.

+1 on all of the above.  That said, there can only be 5 players on the floor at a time, and with the depth we've got at guard already, it really would seem to create a logjam at the guard spot.  However, as Buzz has said - he wants to recruit players that can pass, shoot and dribble.  What many of us may not know is what Buzz's vision is for team composition and style of play - but based on his comments he wants 13 high-major players, wants to go 9-10 deep, and was said to love Mizzou's style under Mike Anderson (that we saw in the Round of 32 in the NCAA 2 years ago).  Leads me to believe Buzz wants to get a lot of versatile players and if we learned anything this year...Buzz can get very good results with a team that is severely outsized at every position.   I think in his ideal world he'd have a 6'2+ point guard and then a bunch of 6'5-6'9" versatile players.  Well we may have some trouble with size on the defensive end - just as we saw this year, other teams had to adjust to us defensively..and we effectively neutralized some bigs, just based on our style of play...making them defend away from the basket, etc.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 10:13:41 AM »
Ners, I think you are right on with that assessment of Buzz's vision.  We may never see another 7-footer here, and that may be OK with that style of play.  But I'm pretty sure Buzz would like to have a big guy to throw into the middle if he needs to for a certain matchup.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2010, 10:16:24 AM »
No way we bring in another guard unless one of our incoming backcourt players (Smith?) doesn't qualify.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 10:19:26 AM »
We may never see another 7-footer here, and that may be OK with that style of play. 

?  He's brought in 2 in 2 years.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 10:32:53 AM »
?  He's brought in 2 in 2 years.

I think Brew City was meaning that we may not see more than 1 recruit per year (or every other year) that is a traditional "big," as he made the comment that he sees Buzz wanting to have the flexibility to throw in a Big if needed.  The reality is that it is so much more likely to "hit" on a versatile 6'4-6'8 kid, than a 6'11 or 7' project - meaning the fewer schollies you use on bigs, the more likely those you do offer to the versatile "smaller" players, will result in more contribution to the team/program..as you reduce the number of potential "misses."
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2010, 10:40:20 AM »
I think on an argument that Buzz should be going for a big versus a guard is one thing.  But to come on and say something along the lines of why would buzz be recruitng a 1 star guard  and he seems like he is not any good why would we go after him?  etc etc.  are what i take objection too.  Butler was a 1 star.  Djo a 3 star.  Crowder and Newbill are 1 stars.    the connection is neither of these guys had extensive AAu back grounds.

Any moron can go to the Speiece fieldhouse and watch kevin Durant and Michael Gilchrist run around and dunk on people and call them 4 and 5 star players.  A coach at schools not named UNC and UK or KU make there bones getting players they identify that everyone in the world does not know about.  they do that from having extensive contacts and working really hard at it. almost every BCS school is going to get that good recruit once a year, what makes a team tho is what recruits 2-4 or so are are they brandon bell or are they aaron hutchins, are they james matthews or are they Fai abraham.  Are they pat hazel aor are they Jimmy butler or jamil lott or Joe fulce?  Kevin Oneil was fabulous at it.  Kids like Fai abrham, Chris crawford, Amal Mckaskil, Tony miller, Aaron Hutchins were all players the big boys and the gurus did not think could get it done...yet they litter the Mu recordbooks .  
Buzz so far has shown the same knack.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2010, 11:08:24 AM »

This is just silly.  I'm very happy with Buzz, and he's doing a great job, but he absolutely is not "above questioning" on his recruiting.  He's been on the job just over two years and is quick out of the gate.  But to suggest that he's "above questioning" on his assessment (Roseboro) or his ability to get players signed (feel free to list the "ones that got away") is ridiculous.  I know that Buzz's HS recruits are young -- and I expect great things from them (I'm particularly anxious to see E. Williams develop) -- but Buzz's next HS recruit that is a significant contributor at Marquette will be his first.

This post is not intended to be anti-Buzz or anti-Junior, EWill, Otule, Mbao or any of next year's HS recruits.  I think they are great recruits and I'm as excited about Marquette's future as I've ever been.  I just think the "above questioning" talk is premature.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 11:29:47 AM »
What many of us may not know is what Buzz's vision is for team composition and style of play - but based on his comments he wants 13 high-major players, wants to go 9-10 deep, and was said to love Mizzou's style under Mike Anderson (that we saw in the Round of 32 in the NCAA 2 years ago). 

Buzz has also said he liked Kansas and Pitts teams too but I don't think he said he loved Missouri's style of play.  I think he said he loved that Missouri was a deep talented team that played a ton of guys and had the ability to matchup and exploit other teams. 

I don't think any of us know what is Buzz's ideal team.  What we do know is that he wants a roster full of high end talent that offers him flexibility to make necessary in-game adjustments.     

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2010, 12:06:53 PM »
Seems like everyone thinks we're fine at the guard position, but I'm still not sold. DJO is clearly a shooting guard. Seems like Blue and Newbill are the same. Smith will be unproven, leaving Cadougan as the only true 1 on the roster. One of our biggest advantages last year was the combination of Cubillan and Acker. We had two guys who could flat-out handle the rock. I'm not that worried about scoring, but if it gets into a footrace, turnovers matter, and I'm not sure who will have the ball in their hands the bulk of the time. Will Cadougan even get a starting spot? If not, who brings it up. I'm not saying Swilling is the answer, but that doesn't mean we couldn't still use some help at guard. I'd gladly take a guy who only scores 4-6 points a night if it means a 2.5/1 assist to turnover ratio.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

State Street Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2010, 12:16:20 PM »
Seems like everyone thinks we're fine at the guard position, but I'm still not sold. DJO is clearly a shooting guard. Seems like Blue and Newbill are the same. Smith will be unproven, leaving Cadougan as the only true 1 on the roster. One of our biggest advantages last year was the combination of Cubillan and Acker. We had two guys who could flat-out handle the rock. I'm not that worried about scoring, but if it gets into a footrace, turnovers matter, and I'm not sure who will have the ball in their hands the bulk of the time. Will Cadougan even get a starting spot? If not, who brings it up. I'm not saying Swilling is the answer, but that doesn't mean we couldn't still use some help at guard. I'd gladly take a guy who only scores 4-6 points a night if it means a 2.5/1 assist to turnover ratio.

First let me say I was a fan of Cubillan, but there were a few late game situations where he turned it over or got bailed out, I don't know if I would go as far as "he can flat out handle the rock."

Second, if Smith is unproven, then what is Swilling?  I know smith moved from a 2 guard to point but he has been playing point and you have to imagine that is what he is going to be working on before the season.  I just think that if Smith isn't proven enough then is Swilling going to be that much better?  I understand it is another guy with point experience so the odds are better that one will work out, and that I'm guessing Swilling may have had more experience, but (and this may be from not seeing either play in person) is it worth gambling on another guard.  There will already be an issue with playing time, and who would you think is leaving the program?