Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Finneran's wake the f up  (Read 16095 times)

DoctorV

• All American
Re: Finneran's wake the f up
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2022, 09:39:28 PM »
Class71

There is a great group of old time MU fans that remember the great days and want to do it again. It starts with defense and everything else is easy. Best part about tonight, there are going to be bigger wins down the road. Tonight is just getting a little taste of victory and cannot wait until the next big win.

Love this

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2022, 09:44:14 PM »
That’s how Nova will lose in March. Incredibly efficient team but capable of bad offensive nights

Our length and athleticism were a big part of that.  That is why I think we can finally win one or two in the NCAA tournament. Keeping winning boys so we can find out!  Go MU!

1SE

• All American
« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2022, 09:45:40 PM »
Our length and athleticism were a big part of that.  That is why I think we can finally win one or two in the NCAA tournament. Keeping winning boys so we can find out!  Go MU!

We'll certainly be a dangerous teM if we get there. 5 to 7 seed to S16 seems not like an out of this world prospect.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2022, 09:48:15 PM »
As heady as tonight is, I still can't get away from thinking that we'd be tied with Nova if we hadn't blown the Creighton game. Trying to forget it, trying to forget it, trying to fo....

CrowdOf5

• Starter
« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2022, 09:50:14 PM »
As heady as tonight is, I still can't get away from thinking that we'd be tied with Nova if we hadn't blown the Creighton game. Trying to forget it, trying to forget it, trying to fo....

Sometimes losses like that sparks a team. That’s my mindset at least  ;D

1SE

• All American
« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2022, 09:51:26 PM »

It was a kick in the goolies to be sure, but I would've traded the SH win for it, not to say anything of this win. Yes it'd be great to ger them all, but this was the toughest test  on the schedule this year and Shaka passed with flying colors

DarkWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2022, 09:52:03 PM »
Defensive masterpiece!! Very few good shots for Villanova despite great ball movement.

I like that we can win a game in the 50's. That is not negative against an opponent like Villanova.

Congrats to our players and to SHAKA!!!!!

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2022, 10:02:37 PM »
Can't lose sight of the fact that MU got down 9 to Nova in their house of horrors and found a way to claw themselves all the way back, plus 3.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2022, 10:03:36 PM »
++ Winning shot: As the clock ticked and we had nothing going, I thought Shaka might call a TO. I nearly fainted when Daniels poked the ball away from Kolek. Great play by JL to get the ball back, get control, get himself in shooting position, and make the shot. 5/8 from 3 for Lewis, and we needed every freakin' one of 'em.

++ We don't have a chance in hell to win that game without Mr. Gregory Elliott III doing what he does better than most college basketball players in all the land. Ice water in that 3-point sniper's veins. 52% from 3 now on the season, 48% last 2 seasons, 45% for his career.

++ Great game for Shaka. Lots of nice plays out of time-outs, kept everybody's head in the game when it looked like things might be going south. I really liked how he used his TOs throughout. Every one of them stopped a Nova run, and we got the next basket -- a 3 -- after each of them.

++ We had several possessions in a row down the stretch where either Morsell or Lewis dribbled and backed in for 10+ seconds each before taking contested shots -- no ball movement, no nuthin' and ultimately no points. I guess Shaka saw matchups he wanted to exploit, but I thought we got away from what was working. My only nit to pick with the coaching tonight.

++ Morsell was outstanding offensively in the first half but scoreless in the second half and looked like he was trying to force things. But he more than made up for it with his D.

++ If you look at the box score, Kolek had a pretty meh game. And there was one brick of a shot he took down the stretch that made no sense whatsoever. But the kid did a really nice job on D all game, he kept our offense organized, and he makes so many little plays that turn out to be big. His play to bat away the rebound right at the end so that Nova didn't get another chance at a tying shot ... beautiful!

++ So it looks like Shaka's got his Closing 5: Morsell, Kuath, Elliott, Lewis, Kolek. It makes sense. You've got 3 men on the floor with a total of 326 college games between them, our best player, and our playmaking PG.

++ O-Max has had some good moments this season but he's in a bit of a funk now. He'll get more chances to shine, though. Tonight, one of the charges against him was BS but I thought the other was a good call. He can't just put his head down and run over people -- it makes even what should be block calls look like charges.

++ Best game of the season for Kuath IMHO. I know he's had better numbers, but the 3 blocks tell only a tiny piece of the story. Nova was totally afraid to shoot inside when he was in the game. Oso didn't have his best game, so we really needed it.

++ Kam was out of it -- maybe too amped up? But Joplin represented the frosh nicely with a big 3 to help us rally.

++ 5 straight wins, 3 over ranked teams, 2 on the road, capped by one in a venue where no Big East team not named Nova wins. Gotta keep it going Sunday vs. X at home. FF better be packed and loud. I wish like hell I could be there.

++ Guys: Stop it with the Creighton regret. That game was 1,000 years ago. It's gone. We've won games we "should have" lost, too. Just enjoy what we've got going.

++ I'm elated, as all of us are, and of course I'm a little surprised we actually won it. But I have to say I'm not super shocked. We've been playing elite-level defense and figuring out some things on offense. I saw that 12.5-point line grow to 14 and thought, "That's ridiculous. We're a pretty damn good team."

++ I wouldn't want to play Marquette in the NCAA Tournament ... and some poor team is gonna have to! Hell, hopefully several poor teams are gonna have to!

++ We Are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

1SE

• All American
« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2022, 10:08:42 PM »
++ Winning shot: As the clock ticked and we had nothing going, I thought Shaka might call a TO. I nearly fainted when Daniels poked the ball away from Kolek. Great play by JL to get the ball back, get control, get himself in shooting position, and make the shot. 5/8 from 3 for Lewis, and we needed every freakin' one of 'em.

++ We don't have a chance in hell to win that game without Mr. Gregory Elliott III doing what he does better than most college basketball players in all the land. Ice water in that 3-point sniper's veins. 52% from 3 now on the season, 48% last 2 seasons, 45% for his career.

++ Great game for Shaka. Lots of nice plays out of time-outs, kept everybody's head in the game when it looked like things might be going south. I really liked how he used his TOs throughout. Every one of them stopped a Nova run, and we got the next basket -- a 3 -- after each of them.

++ We had several possessions in a row down the stretch where either Morsell or Lewis dribbled and backed in for 10+ seconds each before taking contested shots -- no ball movement, no nuthin' and ultimately no points. I guess Shaka saw matchups he wanted to exploit, but I thought we got away from what was working. My only nit to pick with the coaching tonight.

++ Morsell was outstanding offensively in the first half but scoreless in the second half and looked like he was trying to force things. But he more than made up for it with his D.

++ If you look at the box score, Kolek had a pretty meh game. And there was one brick of a shot he took down the stretch that made no sense whatsoever. But the kid did a really nice job on D all game, he kept our offense organized, and he makes so many little plays that turn out to be big. His play to bat away the rebound right at the end so that Nova didn't get another chance at a tying shot ... beautiful!

++ So it looks like Shaka's got his Closing 5: Morsell, Kuath, Elliott, Lewis, Kolek. It makes sense. You've got 3 men on the floor with a total of 326 college games between them, our best player, and our playmaking PG.

++ O-Max has had some good moments this season but he's in a bit of a funk now. He'll get more chances to shine, though. Tonight, one of the charges against him was BS but I thought the other was a good call. He can't just put his head down and run over people -- it makes even what should be block calls look like charges.

++ Best game of the season for Kuath IMHO. I know he's had better numbers, but the 3 blocks tell only a tiny piece of the story. Nova was totally afraid to shoot inside when he was in the game. Oso didn't have his best game, so we really needed it.

++ Kam was out of it -- maybe too amped up? But Joplin represented the frosh nicely with a big 3 to help us rally.

++ 5 straight wins, 3 over ranked teams, 2 on the road, capped by one in a venue where no Big East team not named Nova wins. Gotta keep it going Sunday vs. X at home. FF better be packed and loud. I wish like hell I could be there.

++ Guys: Stop it with the Creighton regret. That game was 1,000 years ago. It's gone. We've won games we "should have" lost, too. Just enjoy what we've got going.

++ I'm elated, as all of us are, and of course I'm a little surprised we actually won it. But I have to say I'm not super shocked. We've been playing elite-level defense and figuring out some things on offense. I saw that 12.5-point line grow to 14 and thought, "That's ridiculous. We're a pretty damn good team."

++ I wouldn't want to play Marquette in the NCAA Tournament ... and some poor team is gonna have to! Hell, hopefully several poor teams are gonna have to!

++ We Are Marquette!

100% to all of this

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2022, 10:09:07 PM »
If we didn't win this game, I'd be way more frustrated that they didn't overturn the ball that Morsell saved from going out of bounds. Heads up play.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2022, 10:10:21 PM »
If we didn't win this game, I'd be way more frustrated that they didn't overturn the ball that Morsell saved from going out of bounds. Heads up play.

Good play by Morsell but the ball was already on the line before he “saved” it

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2022, 10:11:14 PM »
5.  MU has been doing this for a few games, but it was very obvious tonight.   No switching weak side.  Almost zone principles.   Effective against Nova because it simplified the closeouts when the ball was reversed or dished out from the paint.
This is an under discussed insight here. MU won this game with defense. They cut off the head (Gillespie) and won the rock fight. MU gave up some at the rim true but Nova's offense came to a full stop. Nice to have a great defense again. Great effort

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2022, 10:12:02 PM »
Our D is getter better by the game. They are playing great half court defense and it is now coming naturally to them.

Nova looked very confused throughout the first half. They figured out they could bully us inside a bit in the second half, but MU responded. Impressive.

Elliott and Joplin 3s were huge when we got down 9. What a win!

Boston Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2022, 10:12:09 PM »
The respect the process narrative has been put to bed, go warriors! Big finish!!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #91 on: January 19, 2022, 10:14:16 PM »

The refs' call was correct.

The ball bounced on the line before Morsell tried to "save" it.
Have some patience, FFS.

TheREALwrk

• Team Captain
« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2022, 10:15:41 PM »

To be fair:
We could have lost by 10 or won by 10

Nova misses some open shots.

And we fuked up a few of transition plays after forcing turnovers. (Greg trying to force a shoelace pass to kur).

? Lol

That's why you play the full 40 minutes every night, my man.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2022, 10:16:02 PM »
I love the fact that down 4 and then down 2

Lewis didnt settle. He did what hes best at and got it tied.

Then drilled the 3 when he had little to no choice.

Loved the 2 plays by Lewis in the last minute.

Problem is that NBA scouts love that too.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2022, 10:16:16 PM »
Goose

Let’s meet at the Natty in a couple years!

You are one of the few guys in here who has been a Warrior as long as I have!

Class of '70. See you and Goose at the Natty!
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2022, 10:16:59 PM »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2022, 10:17:40 PM »
Good play by Morsell but the ball was already on the line before he “saved” it
Yeah, that was clearly the correct call
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2022, 10:17:47 PM »
Let’s meet at the Natty in a couple years!

Couple years???  Talk about cult of low expectations!  8-)

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2022, 10:17:53 PM »
Psst…three of those five were against ranked teams.

And of those, one by 30 and one on the  road v No. 11. So impressive.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2022, 10:22:06 PM »
The respect the process narrative has been put to bed, go warriors! Big finish!!

"Respect the process" was necessary to get us where we are. The "narrative" was authored by none other than Shaka himself.

Every single player on the team either was new or was thrust into a vastly different role, or both. I for one am amazed and thrilled with how quickly it's all happened. And I bet if you sat down with Shaka over a few beers and just chatted with him about hoops, he'd say that even he's surprised.

Credit to Shaka, and credit to the guys. Time to kick some more arse and take some more prisoners!

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback