'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Rayvonte Rice interested in MU  (Read 23994 times)

THEultimateWARRIOR

• Team Captain
Rayvonte Rice interested in MU
« on: April 21, 2012, 12:58:50 PM »
According to @MattWettersten Drake transfer Rayvonte Rice has visited Illinois and Xavier & hopes to see Marquette. Decision b4 June. #mubb

Averaged 16.5 points and 5.7 rebounds this past season for Drake, including eight games of at least 20 points.

He wants to visit Marquette. This would be a very good get for MU.

Possibility of someone else transferring? This is the 3rd SG we have been in on.

real chili 83

• All American
Re: Rayvonte Rice interested in MU
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 01:13:48 PM »
According to @MattWettersten Drake transfer Rayvonte Rice has visited Illinois and Xavier & hopes to see Marquette. Decision b4 June. #mubb

Averaged 16.5 points and 5.7 rebounds this past season for Drake, including eight games of at least 20 points.

He wants to visit Marquette. This would be a very good get for MU.

Possibility of someone else transferring? This is the 3rd SG we have been in on.

Against what kind of competition?

THEultimateWARRIOR

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 01:53:15 PM »
Against what kind of competition?
Just from looking at ESPN he did well vs ranked opponents.
23pts verse Creighton, 19pts vs Witchita State the first time, 18pts the second time. Both teams were ranked for the majority of the season.

Also noticed he dropped 23 on Winthrop who we played. (Crowder had 11 and DJO had 20)

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 01:58:49 PM »
Just from looking at ESPN he did well vs ranked opponents.
23pts verse Creighton, 19pts vs Witchita State the first time, 18pts the second time. Both teams were ranked for the majority of the season.

Also noticed he dropped 23 on Winthrop who we played. (Crowder had 11 and DJO had 20)

Works for me!  Thanks for the stats.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 02:00:14 PM »
Will all these names in the mix it really shows there's going to be more roster shakeup the next few weeks. 

THEultimateWARRIOR

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 02:14:11 PM »
Will all these names in the mix it really shows there's going to be more roster shakeup the next few weeks. 
I think so too. Vander Blue to the NBA?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 02:30:54 PM »

Not necessarily. I am sure Buzz is talking to several guys in case Lockett decides/decided to go elsewhere.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 02:54:18 PM »
Not necessarily. I am sure Buzz is talking to several guys in case Lockett decides/decided to go elsewhere.

Valid point, but I find it hard to believe that Durley is the only one that won't be at MU next year out of the bunch.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 03:02:29 PM »
Valid point, but I find it hard to believe that Durley is the only one that won't be at MU next year out of the bunch.

Why? Cause some people came on this board with vague, ambiguous unprovable information. I don't find it odd at all, especially considering all the guys we're interested in basically would play the same position/role.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Goose

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 03:07:09 PM »
Everyone laughs at Vander but he is NBA talent.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 03:08:00 PM »
Everyone laughs at Vander but he is NBA talent.

Not until he can finish and consistently make a mid-range jumper.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 03:17:59 PM »
Not until he can finish and consistently make a mid-range jumper.

He's already NBA talent. He doesn't yet have the skill (such as that jumper and finishing) but the raw ability is unquestionably there. In terms of NBA pedigree, he's probably our best looking prospect since Wade, and if he can polish his rough spots, he could be a very solid next-level player.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 03:21:03 PM »
He is NBA prospect today, but would be foolish to try it. If he has solid year next year I have no doubt he is gone. If he happened to be in hot water at MU I could see him testing the waters. He has very big upside and will be paid to play ball when college career is over.

THEultimateWARRIOR

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 03:45:30 PM »
He is NBA prospect today, but would be foolish to try it. If he has solid year next year I have no doubt he is gone. If he happened to be in hot water at MU I could see him testing the waters. He has very big upside and will be paid to play ball when college career is over.
I agree with you once again Goose

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 07:15:44 PM »
Are there any transfers out there who don't have an interest in MU and we don't want also.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2012, 07:18:45 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean by a solid year.  It's hard to envision him making the kind of jump that would get him into the first round.  If he came out now there would be no interest from the NBA.  Not just he wouldn't get drafted, he wouldn't get a tryout.  If the NBA still has summer rookie league teams, I could see him getting a shot there.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 07:20:38 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2012, 07:21:34 PM »
Little Murs
Politely disagree with you. I am saying I think he is ready or close to ready but people that get paid to judge talent like him a lot. He is a raw talent and will play pro ball for a long time, either here or elsewhere.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2012, 07:40:05 PM »
Are there any transfers out there who don't have an interest in MU and we don't want also.

Impossible. All transfers have to at least consider us. It's a rule.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2012, 09:33:56 PM »
We have all seen him him play for two years.  Every game.  All of us.

And by 'solid year' you certainly must mean a tough defender and improved free throw shooter.  An NBA scout would be lucky to have a job if he happened to  looked passed those qualities.  Right Sultan, I mean Goose.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2012, 09:47:29 PM »
I personally don't think he's much of an NBA prospect unless he improves his shot or his handle.  Not tall enough to be drafted just as a defender.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2012, 09:58:27 PM »
Little Murs
Politely disagree with you. I am saying I think he is ready or close to ready but people that get paid to judge talent like him a lot. He is a raw talent and will play pro ball for a long time, either here or elsewhere.

While it grieves me to disagree with an esteemed colleague, I must point out that the DNBA is full of "raw talents".  On the other hand, the DNBA is "pro ball".  I agree with Aughnanure, that until he "can finish and consistently make a mid-range jumper" the NBA is not going to happen.  The majority of his drives on the basket end with embarrassment.  I'm gonna repeat that; "The majority of his drives on the basket end with embarrassment."  That don't cut it in the NBA.  If by "a solid year" you mean he figures out how to finish at the rim and to become a go to scorer (which he has yet to show that he can be), then I agree that he is NBA bound.  Big ifs that I would love to see come to pass.  Maybe, this year he deferred to Jae and DJO.  I hope so.  He certainly improved his free throw shooting this year, and he's always been a quality defender, although Todd Mayo replaced him as the team's best perimeter defender this year.  I believe that next year will tell.  If he's not one of the guys that "the other team has to plan how to stop" next year as Jae and DJO were this year, I'm not gonna hold my breath for his senior year.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 10:02:24 PM by LittleMurs »

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2012, 10:29:25 PM »
I personally don't think he's much of an NBA prospect unless he improves his shot or his handle.  Not tall enough to be drafted just as a defender.

I "COMPLETELY" agree Goose.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2012, 10:37:57 PM »
While it grieves me to disagree with an esteemed colleague, I must point out that the DNBA is full of "raw talents".  On the other hand, the DNBA is "pro ball".  I agree with Aughnanure, that until he "can finish and consistently make a mid-range jumper" the NBA is not going to happen.  The majority of his drives on the basket end with embarrassment.  I'm gonna repeat that; "The majority of his drives on the basket end with embarrassment."  That don't cut it in the NBA.  If by "a solid year" you mean he figures out how to finish at the rim and to become a go to scorer (which he has yet to show that he can be), then I agree that he is NBA bound.  Big ifs that I would love to see come to pass.  Maybe, this year he deferred to Jae and DJO.  I hope so.  He certainly improved his free throw shooting this year, and he's always been a quality defender, although Todd Mayo replaced him as the team's best perimeter defender this year.  I believe that next year will tell.  If he's not one of the guys that "the other team has to plan how to stop" next year as Jae and DJO were this year, I'm not gonna hold my breath for his senior year.

I agree totally, Vander is about 20 lbs. light of muscle before he gets to the next level.  His body is wirey thin so he has trouble finishing at the rim on drives.  He basically does not have great form on his shot, and confidence wise, or demeanor on the court is along way from being a warrior.  Not even sure Jae makes the NBA so how does Vander.  Jae averaged around 18 a game, Vander about
8, does anybody really expect Vander to pick up his game and add 10 points a game, I doubt.  I am hoping for 10-11 next year.  Can he do better, it can only happen if he works his ass off this summer, and I still do not see it with his form from the outside.  He can get to the rim, but he had 3 out of 4 shots knocked back in his face.  Hope I am wrong.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2012, 10:44:04 PM »
Also, one more point.  If Lockett does come to MU, he is slightly bigger than Vander.  So Vander may not even start as competition at those spots will be strong.  Mayo, TJ Taylor, Lockett,
Ferguson (lets not forget him) and Vander.  His best chance for more time might be at the point.  If he does not start, I see real problems chemistry wise.  This is why a lot of the Top 10
teams play with 9-11 players.  Try and keep 14 happy next year, that might be a story in itself.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2012, 10:47:18 PM »

I "COMPLETELY" agree Goose.

Okay, the person you were quoting was not Goose, nor did Sultan agree with what Goose was saying.  What am I missing here?