[May 10, 2024, 09:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 10, 2024, 08:12:15 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MUbiz
[May 10, 2024, 03:33:49 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by LloydsLegs
[May 10, 2024, 03:08:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2024 Season  (Read 4717 times)

WhiteTrash

• All American
Re: MLB 2024 Season
« Reply #175 on: May 08, 2024, 09:05:40 AM »
From Yahoo Sports:

The Athletics are averaging 6,410 fans per home game this season, which is on pace to be the lowest average home attendance for an MLB team since… the Athletics in 1979.

‌Mind-blowing stat: 553 professional and college teams in the U.S. are averaging more fans than the 2024 A's, per Sportico.

‌Included in that list: 18 minor league hockey teams, 13 minor league baseball teams, 12 NWSL teams, 12 NCAA baseball teams, eight NLL teams (indoor lacrosse), seven WNBA teams, seven USL Championship teams (one tier below MLS), six D-II football teams, three Indoor Football League teams, two D-III football teams, and one women's volleyball team (shoutout to the Omaha Supernovas!).

White Sox fans should take note and learn.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #176 on: May 08, 2024, 10:48:35 AM »
Somebody, please shoot Cardinal Manager Ollie Marmol!

Don't fire him! Shoot him!

OK, I'm only kidding but I am so disgusted at the St. Louis Cardinals that I'm on the verge of softening my hatred for the Chicago Cubs.

Case in point: Cardinal Catcher Wilson Contreras was told to crowd the plate as he was catching so the Cardinals could get more breaks on breaking balls from umpires. Contreras does as he is told and lo and behold, the hitter for the New York Mets clobbers his arm . Contreras is out for six weeks and had surgery to repair a broken arm. To add insult to injury, Contreras was charged with catcher's interference and the batter awarded first base.

That, coupled with the Cardinals hitting about .036 as a team and losing two of the three to the White Sox and on the verge of being swept by the ever loving New York Mets and its time to do something drastic. This season is probably lost but if the Cardinals don't do something soon, attendance at Busch Stadium will look like such baseball mad places as Oakland, Miami or Kansas City.

Bye Ollie -- go back to the A leagues where you might learn some baseball. Take Molizak with you! PLEASE!!!!!!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #177 on: May 08, 2024, 11:31:24 AM »

OK, I'm only kidding but I am so disgusted at the St. Louis Cardinals that I'm on the verge of softening my hatred for the Chicago Cubs.

Case in point: Cardinal Catcher Wilson Contreras was told to crowd the plate as he was catching so the Cardinals could get more breaks on breaking balls from umpires. Contreras does as he is told and lo and behold, the hitter for the New York Mets clobbers his arm . Contreras is out for six weeks and had surgery to repair a broken arm. To add insult to injury, Contreras was charged with catcher's interference and the batter awarded first base.

That, coupled with the Cardinals hitting about .036 as a team and losing two of the three to the White Sox and on the verge of being swept by the ever loving New York Mets and its time to do something drastic. This season is probably lost but if the Cardinals don't do something soon, attendance at Busch Stadium will look like such baseball mad places as Oakland, Miami or Kansas City.

Bye Ollie -- go back to the A leagues where you might learn some baseball. Take Molizak with you! PLEASE!!!!!!

It's not just an Ollie thing. All catchers are doing this.

https://apnews.com/article/mlb-catcher-interference-c3a9d32dab7ea8503dd0f95b935ba109

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #178 on: May 08, 2024, 12:51:50 PM »

Best Fans in Baseball

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #179 on: May 08, 2024, 02:26:41 PM »
This season is probably lost but if the Cardinals don't do something soon, attendance at Busch Stadium will look like such baseball mad places as Oakland, Miami or Kansas City.

So St. Louis has mostly fair-weather fans then?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #180 on: May 09, 2024, 02:02:20 PM »
So St. Louis has mostly fair-weather fans then?

Hardly!

Cardinal fans have expectations. We definitely support mediocre teams and teams that aren't very good -- as long as they try!

Going into this year, we all rather thought that ownership wasn't trying. The lack of either developing or acquiring a number one starter was a huge problem. As was the age of our starting pitching staff. By July, we expect our pitchers to be the crapola standard for baseball because older pitchers not named Nolan Ryan wear out as the season wears on.

Then there is Oli. If there's a bigger bonehead baseball manager than Oli, I don't know who it is. This guy has his head so far up his backside, it's coming out his mouth. If there's a wrong way to do things, Oli pioneered it.

So what we have is a team past its prime whose best developed talent is playing in Miami, Tampa and Texas. Our third baseman is supposed to be hitting 40 to 50 home runs a year. If he hits 15, we will be lucky. Our first basemen is the baseball equivalent of a 40-year-old Payton Manning, who consistently came up short on the out route! Or a Joe Theismann after he broke his leg!

We will still draw 2 million fans to St. Louis, but we expect an ownership and management that is committed to winning. Period.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #181 on: May 09, 2024, 02:11:16 PM »
Hardly!

Cardinal fans have expectations. We definitely support mediocre teams and teams that aren't very good -- as long as they try!

Going into this year, we all rather thought that ownership wasn't trying. The lack of either developing or acquiring a number one starter was a huge problem. As was the age of our starting pitching staff. By July, we expect our pitchers to be the crapola standard for baseball because older pitchers not named Nolan Ryan wear out as the season wears on.

Then there is Oli. If there's a bigger bonehead baseball manager than Oli, I don't know who it is. This guy has his head so far up his backside, it's coming out his mouth. If there's a wrong way to do things, Oli pioneered it.

So what we have is a team past its prime whose best developed talent is playing in Miami, Tampa and Texas. Our third baseman is supposed to be hitting 40 to 50 home runs a year. If he hits 15, we will be lucky. Our first basemen is the baseball equivalent of a 40-year-old Payton Manning, who consistently came up short on the out route! Or a Joe Theismann after he broke his leg!

We will still draw 2 million fans to St. Louis, but we expect an ownership and management that is committed to winning. Period.

“Draw” 2 million fans 🙄
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #182 on: May 09, 2024, 02:41:51 PM »
Hardly!

So I shouldn't expect a good game when I watch them play the Brewers on Sunday?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #183 on: May 09, 2024, 03:48:35 PM »
So I shouldn't expect a good game when I watch them play the Brewers on Sunday?

Probably not.

If you are a Brewers fan, you probably will leave happy!

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #184 on: May 09, 2024, 04:19:06 PM »
Contraction isn’t the answer for baseball or any other sport. There is plenty of talent around.

My hope is that with the failure of Bally Sports and others, as the big national/global networks like Amazon get the MLB TV/streaming contracts, there will be an opportunity for more revenue sharing like the NFL does with their TV money.  Then we can talk about salary caps and floors, and this should lead to more spending parity across baseball.  There will still be inept front offices, but at least there won't be such enormous built-in advantages for the large market teams.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #185 on: May 09, 2024, 04:52:29 PM »
Ryan Jeffers so far this year

.306/.389/.631

That includes his 2/22 to start the year.

Absolute machine right now.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #186 on: May 09, 2024, 08:15:29 PM »
Bases chucked and no outs and the Cards don’t even try to bunt a run in. Serves them right to not put one run across the plate there.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #187 on: May 10, 2024, 08:44:10 PM »
Imagine being a Cardinals fan watching the Brewers beat the snot out of you while playing the game the right way.

https://twitter.com/TylerKoerth/status/1789106361852199040?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #188 on: May 10, 2024, 09:17:46 PM »
Imagine being a Cardinals fan watching the Brewers beat the snot out of you while playing the game the right way.

https://twitter.com/TylerKoerth/status/1789106361852199040?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

The St Louis Classies would give a standing ovation for playing the game the right way. Or say the Brewers cheated by sloping the foul line.