[May 08, 2024, 07:39:19 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[May 08, 2024, 08:59:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Question on Henry's announcement  (Read 97573 times)

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
Re: Question on Henry's announcement
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2016, 08:03:37 PM »
Some need to shield themselves from disappointment.

Either way, I don't think we as a fan base can lose.

HE takes the money and runs:
we get to watch the Draft Lottery as proud alums (as if we developed his game to get him here ;-) )...We are happy for his financial windfall, as he will no doubt give a little back to our school and program...Our school will get countless mentions as Henry gets in each NBA contest....our '16-'17 WarriorEagles will no longer stand around watching big Hank operate.....said players will each feel the positive pressure to up their individual "games" and skill-sets...JJJ will have free reign to emerge as "The Man", on his way to 1stTeamBigEast honors...Henry will make a couple trips to the AL as an NBA player as Wojo brings in some key recruits during those visits.

Henry stays: DUH, no need to elaborate. So yes, we all want him back to play one more year and watch his bro graduate, and make a deep NCAA run.

As a fan and horseplayer, It's like having a live pick6 ticket in the final leg at Santa Anita to two horses in a two horse race. One is paying me $50,000, the other is paying $250,000. Sure we want the longshot to stride home, but we'll take the chalk and count our blessings.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

SWARM!

• Starter
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2016, 08:06:42 PM »
Not sure if this has been discussed, but given Henry comes from a stable home with presumptively stable finances, might some additional motivation to stay be that he'll have two years of college under his belt when he bolts for the draft. Thus, he'll be half way home to a degree should he ever want to graduate in the future. Two more years of school is a heck of lot less daunting than three more years.

Lol

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2016, 08:15:12 PM »
Lol
Think more of a marginal consideration if he's on the fence.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2016, 08:36:20 PM »
Kaminsky is a terrible comparison, he played all 4 years.

What Zeller did is what gives me a sliver of hope that Henry will come back, predicted to be a top 10 pick in 2012, came back for Sophmore year, and went #4.

Reason he gave was that he was enjoying his college experience.

Yes, Zeller is a better example.

The Kaminsky worked because after his first two years, he was not going anywhere, unless he wanted to transfer to UIC.    After his breakout junior year he could have come out and been drafted.

But like Zeller, Kaminsky returned for another year because he liked being in college.

So, how much does Henry like MU and the college experience?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2016, 08:52:23 PM »
I love the assumption that his parents don't need the money?  Why?

They may have been maxing out every credit card they could find to pay for traveling teams, camps, travel etc. 

No ones knows.   I swear, if Henry was not "from up north" but rather "from Milwaukee" this whole board would call him gone.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2016, 08:55:24 PM »
Yes, Zeller is a better example.

The Kaminsky worked because after his first two years, he was not going anywhere, unless he wanted to transfer to UIC.    After his breakout junior year he could have come out and been drafted.

But like Zeller, Kaminsky returned for another year because he liked being in college.

So, how much does Henry like MU and the college experience?

I think the biggest thing working against Henry staying is actually one of the factors many think will influence him to stay. Not many kids come from a family where every single member is an accomplished athlete, all pushing each other from such a young age. It's almost a vocational thing. Both parents' jobs and livelihood have always been 100% based around sports. The pinnacle of basketball success is the NBA, and Henry has stated it's been his dream as long as he can remember. None of us are privy to the Ellensons' family conversations, but I just don't think it's a given the family will lobby him for staying an extra year.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2016, 09:32:41 PM »
The ellenson's current financial situation will play no factor in his decision to return/go pro. It's significant to note that the family (probably) doesn't "need" the money like some other players though. Last year during the NCAA game, the announcers said something about Stanley Johnson (Arizona) and how he was so happy he would be able to feed and take care of his mom. whether that applies to Henry I'm not sure, but some guys don't have the choice to stay/go.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2016, 09:40:01 PM »
Well, we have a dozen or so folks here who claim to know things. Do the Ellensons have money? Are they rich? Upper middle class? Solidly middle class? Lower middle and need some dough? Poor as hell and desperate?

It's silly for us to speculate when so many Scoopers are in the know!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2016, 10:24:35 PM »
Well, we have a dozen or so folks here who claim to know things. Do the Ellensons have money? Are they rich? Upper middle class? Solidly middle class? Lower middle and need some dough? Poor as hell and desperate?

It's silly for us to speculate when so many Scoopers are in the know!

They are solidly middle class. They live comfortably and certainly aren't struggling to get by or living pay check to pay check, but they're not wealthy like Hank will be in a few months.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2016, 02:03:40 AM »
I'm 100% certain he is gone.

If I hear different next week at the McDonald's AA festivities, I will come back and say so.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2016, 10:54:42 AM »
From @DraftExpress: Been told Ellenson camp already scheduling agent meetings, and only a matter of time until we get an official announcement on him entering.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2016, 11:37:29 AM »
He gone. Let's hope Wojo has something queued up in the wings.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2016, 11:39:37 AM »
He gone. Let's hope Wojo has something queued up in the wings.
Sounds like it. It was fun to hang onto hope for as long as possible. Best of luck to HE in the League. He'll be a fine ambassador for MU.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2016, 11:43:18 AM »
Henry's dad responds:

John Ellenson @jcellenson
Henry got home at 11 last night I haven't even spoken with them yet.  Hold your horses Jonathan.

By the way, in Northern WI we don't have "camps" as you suggest, it's family, camps are for fishing swimming s'mores

Note: I still think he's gone, fwiw.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2016, 11:44:42 AM »
Henry's dad responds:

Henry got home at 11 last night I haven't even spoken with them yet.  Hold your horses Jonathan.

By the way, in Northern WI we don't have "camps" as you suggest, it's family, camps are for fishing swimming s'mores

Elite level trolling by Mr. Ellenson

slack00

• Starter
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2016, 11:52:26 AM »
Henry's dad responds:

Haha, that's great!  Best of luck to Henry whatever he decides.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2016, 12:01:52 PM »
Henry's dad responds:

That was a great response.

When the family looks at it, one consideration that may come into play is that if Henry leaves, Wally may actually end up with a bigger role next year.  We have always speculated that Henry may want to continue playing with Wally, but this other scenario may be something that comes into play. Wally is a competitive guy and I am sure he wants to get on the floor just as much as he wants to see his brother do well for us. Not saying this is a big factor but it may be a factor.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2016, 12:14:11 PM »
I think the biggest thing working against Henry staying is actually one of the factors many think will influence him to stay. Not many kids come from a family where every single member is an accomplished athlete, all pushing each other from such a young age. It's almost a vocational thing. Both parents' jobs and livelihood have always been 100% based around sports. The pinnacle of basketball success is the NBA, and Henry has stated it's been his dream as long as he can remember. None of us are privy to the Ellensons' family conversations, but I just don't think it's a given the family will lobby him for staying an extra year.

I agree with this 100% - probably the best stated explanation of why he'll leave.  In Henry's world, this is AAA baseball.  He wants to get to The Show.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2016, 03:54:17 PM »
From SI.com's draft rankings.

Rumor has it that Ellenson isn’t set on coming out this year, but as of right now, he’s in the lottery if he wants to be. He can run, he can shoot from range and rebound, and with strong workouts has a chance to go higher than this. Multiple scouts expressed concern with his lateral quickness, and as we’ve seen recently with Kevin Love, defensive limitations can hamper even the most skilled, talented bigs in this mold. There remains a whole lot to like here.

I fully expect HE to go, but I just wanted to get people's hopes up  ;)

fjm

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2016, 04:23:09 PM »

Rumor has it that Ellenson isn’t set on coming out this year, but as of right now, he’s in the lottery if he wants to be. He can run, he can shoot from range and rebound, and with strong workouts has a chance to go higher than this. Multiple scouts expressed concern with his lateral quickness, and as we’ve seen recently with Kevin Love, defensive limitations can hamper even the most skilled, talented bigs in this mold. There remains a whole lot to like here.

I fully expect HE to go, but I just wanted to get people's hopes up  ;)

i'm 5 Ginger Jamo's in right now and can't completely see straight and yale is about to win a NCAA tourney game. But that first sentence turned me on... I don't believe it.. but it really got me excited. Go America! Go MU, Go Ellenson! Go MU!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2016, 04:27:51 PM »

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2016, 10:07:19 PM »
i'm 5 Ginger Jamo's in right now and can't completely see straight and yale is about to win a NCAA tourney game. But that first sentence turned me on... I don't believe it.. but it really got me excited. Go America! Go MU, Go Ellenson! Go MU!

You forgot #MakeMUGreatAgain
SS Marquette

CubillanSandwich

• Walk-On
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2016, 10:38:07 PM »
Henry is back.  Rarely post, but I have a very very good source.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2016, 10:40:07 PM »
Nm

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2016, 10:44:46 PM »
Henry is back.  Rarely post, but I have a very very good source.

We trust you  ;) a month ago you said Henry was gone
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 10:48:10 PM by WarriorPride68 »