Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[May 31, 2024, 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[May 31, 2024, 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Cohen & Hill Officially Sign  (Read 100832 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Cohen & Hill Officially Sign
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2013, 02:42:44 PM »
I doubt Malek waits until spring to sign without a promise that a scholie would be available to him.

He's in an interesting situation. What realistically are his options? If MU can't give him assurances that his schollie is available in April, who is willing to roll the dice with him now? Maybe he's better off waiting with or without a guarantee.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2013, 02:51:18 PM »
I doubt Malek waits until spring to sign without a promise that a scholie would be available to him.

I think Buzz in the past has taken some questionable kids, so under your assessment, I doubt he shows up at MU then.  To big a risk. unless he is a great ballplayer and
Buzz thinks it is worth the risk, not sure what happened, but Buzz knows.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2013, 02:53:46 PM »
From Twitter:
Coach Joe Mantegna ‏@CoachMantegna 1h
Signing Day!  Brett Jolly to SLU and Marial Shayok to Marquette.  Marial is actually happy haha. @TeamCoachBuzz

"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2013, 03:02:05 PM »
Does Cohen remind anybody else of Michael Carter-Williams? 6'6" athletic guard who can play the point. I think Cohen has a better looking shot though.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2013, 03:10:34 PM »
I think MCW is a more fluid athlete than Cohen. Cohen has a much better shot though and it's not even close!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2013, 03:24:57 PM »
Are there any basketball schools at MU's level that would be willing to sign him right now? Unless he wants to go to a lower program, he probably does not have any choice but to wait.
Either way our recruiting ranking is going to fall. Right now our class is being ranked on him being a top 100 player. We fall in rankings if he does not sign. We also fall in rankings when he drops out of top 100. I cannot see him staying in top 100, when he is not playing this year.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2013, 03:29:02 PM »
They're not expecting it this signing period.

Andrew Gruman ‏@AndrewGruman 3h
@LanceHillCBS58 Yep. Still a lot to be determined with Harris.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2013, 03:31:46 PM »
Based on that picture, looks like Buzz is going to have to teach Shayok about removing the designer labels from his suit sleeve before he takes him to NYC for the Big East day.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2013, 03:32:01 PM »
Are there any basketball schools at MU's level that would be willing to sign him right now? Unless he wants to go to a lower program, he probably does not have any choice but to wait.
Either way our recruiting ranking is going to fall. Right now our class is being ranked on him being a top 100 player. We fall in rankings if he does not sign. We also fall in rankings when he drops out of top 100. I cannot see him staying in top 100, when he is not playing this year.

Do you really care about that, I would take one player the following year, Diamond Stone, we would not be in the Top 50 then, but I am sure everybody who reads this board
would be ecstatic.  Last year we were ranked pretty high, now look at it, McKay gone and Wilson hurt, where do we stand now?  It really does not matter.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2013, 03:38:35 PM »
Do you really care about that, I would take one player the following year, Diamond Stone, we would not be in the Top 50 then, but I am sure everybody who reads this board
would be ecstatic.  Last year we were ranked pretty high, now look at it, McKay gone and Wilson hurt, where do we stand now?  It really does not matter.
Do I care about that? I do not think we should sign him period.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2013, 03:44:07 PM »
Harris is still a Marquette commit. That doesn't mean he will sign in the early period, and not signing in the early period doesn't mean he won't be at Marquette next fall.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2013, 03:54:18 PM »
Depends  what you consider "at MU's level." Harris had offers from the likes of Mizzou, Purdue, Creighton, Iowa, Okie State and K-State. If he were my kid, I'd tell him to take a certain scholie from one of those schools than cross his fingers and hope maybe Marquette would take him in the spring.

High school play* does little to impact the rankings, in large part because the people who do the rankings can't fly around the country to see these guys play on a regular basis. Most of the rankings are the result of how kids perform at shoe camps and AAU events (and who's recruiting them).

* Regular schools, not hoops factories like Findlay, St. Anthony, Montverde, Oak Hill, etc.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 04:07:35 PM by Pakuni »

chapman

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2013, 04:23:49 PM »
Was any effort made for Harris to switch schools, or would it have been unrealistic to find a school to able to play this year and be on track to get through the clearinghouse in the fall?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2013, 04:37:20 PM »
He's in an interesting situation. What realistically are his options? If MU can't give him assurances that his schollie is available in April, who is willing to roll the dice with him now? Maybe he's better off waiting with or without a guarantee.

I don't think a lot of schools are going to be scared to pull the trigger on a top 100ish kid because he smoked pot and/or drank booze (assuming that's the accurate account of what landed him in trouble).
I think the "risk" associated with Malek Harris is a bit overstated.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2013, 05:09:14 PM »
Was any effort made for Harris to switch schools, or would it have been unrealistic to find a school to able to play this year and be on track to get through the clearinghouse in the fall?

My understanding is he thought about going the prep school route and MU essentially told him to lie in the bed he made if he wanted to still come to MU. I suspect the message was conveyed a little more positively than that, but I can't say I disagree with the approach. Without getting back into the whole debate over whether MU should still take him, I would think this route makes it more likely he still comes to MU than had he gone to prep school somewhere.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2013, 05:41:04 PM »
You mean Malek's letter isn't coming?  We don't know about him yet.

Has he officially applied....wouldn't want the application to get lost or something or something

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2013, 05:46:56 PM »
Has he officially applied....wouldn't want the application to get lost or something or something

Really? Do you have these things set up as a keyboard macro?
Could you also get in a line about Buzz being here as long as MU will have him?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2013, 08:44:01 PM »

This sarcasm fails because it does not accurately reflect the Newbill situation.  Newbill's app wasn't lost, it wasn't submitted.

It really seems to me that you are just baiting people here.  Why?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2013, 09:42:45 PM »
This sarcasm fails because it does not accurately reflect the Newbill situation.  Newbill's app wasn't lost, it wasn't submitted.

It really seems to me that you are just baiting people here.  Why?

As Brutus loved Caesar, so Chicos loves Buzz. And like Brutus, he'll never miss a chance to put a knife in his friend's back.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2013, 10:14:04 PM »
As Brutus loved Caesar, so Chicos loves Buzz. And like Brutus, he'll never miss a chance to put a knife in his friend's back.

Truer words were never spoken.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2013, 07:27:28 AM »
Just noticed at the bottom of page 5 of this morning's Chicago Tribune, they list area signees from yesterday, and in the list is Malek Harris, Sandburg, 6-7, F, Marquette.

Not that he signed, but interesting how they list him as a signee.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2013, 07:40:09 AM »
From Twitter:
Andrew Gruman ‏@AndrewGruman 11h
Marial Shayok has officially signed with Marquette. The Golden Eagles received all three letters of intent they were expecting today. #mubb
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2013, 07:42:28 AM »
Just noticed at the bottom of page 5 of this morning's Chicago Tribune, they list area signees from yesterday, and in the list is Malek Harris, Sandburg, 6-7, F, Marquette.

Not that he signed, but interesting how they list him as a signee.

yeah someone should tweet him and tell him not to show up. Maybe I will
MU15

Wally Schroeder

• Starter
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2013, 09:24:39 AM »
yeah someone should tweet him and tell him not to show up. Maybe I will

I would have guessed you'd tweet him about our soccer programs.

Great to have Sandy, Ahmed, and Marial officially sign their NLI's! Really looking forward to seeing these guy play, and hope Satchel announces he'll be joining them tomorrow.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2013, 09:25:12 AM »
I still want Harris to come to MU. Buzz is well aware of the situation. I think we will see him here next year but he may not play the first few games, kinda like an unofficial suspension.

feedback