[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2nd place in the Big East  (Read 14056 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: 2nd place in the Big East
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2020, 12:25:22 PM »
I did say that, but that's not why my preseason expectations were a top 15 team. I looked at the roster, I looked at the rest of the rosters around D1 and when I put them onto an S-Curve I though Marquette was the 14th best team in the nation.

I could go deeper into the math but put simply my belief was (Addition of Jayce + addition of Symir + addition of Dexter (pre-redshirt) + addition of Koby + addition of Greg + average improvement from Markus/Sacar/Theo/Brendan/Ed/Jamal) > (Loss of Sam + Loss of Joey + Loss of Joe + Loss of Matt). I've always though this year would be better than last year.
Interesting, thanks for the answer.  I appreciate the folks on scoop such as yourself who delve deep into the data and analysis.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2020, 12:30:43 PM »
Yes, you are correct that that was the question I posed.

You've also been consistent in saying you still had the same expectations for the team even after the Hausers left.  I am curious as to that line of thought--it seems either you didn't think the Hausers added anything, or you were expecting the team to essentially outperform the remaining talent level.  Is that a fair understanding, or did you see it a different way?

My preseason expectations for this specific season did change after the Hausers left. I truly believed we were a top 8 team in the country with the Hausers. After they left and we added Jayce/Symir my expectations changed to top 15 team in the country. It may seem small, but the difference between a top 8 team and a top 15 team is often greater than the distance between a top 15 team and a top 40 team.

My expectations for the program didn't change after the Hausers left. The golden power point promised two years of rebuild, back to the NCAAs in year 3, a small step back in year 4 due to large senior class, year 5 high seed in the NCAAs with a foundation for future success, year 6 team capable of making a deep run. I think Wojo is still on track here.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2020, 12:48:48 PM »
The question was "does Wojo make a team more than the sum of its parts" not "what do we need to do for a successful season." Preseason I expected a 4 seed which means we are favored to make the Sweet 16. That would be meeting my preseason expectations. In order for me to say that Wojo made the team more than the sum of its parts I would need to see more than that, i.e. 3 seed and/or Elite Eight.

Thanks for the response. Definitely makes sense on the perspective.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2020, 01:16:14 PM »
I did say that, but that's not why my preseason expectations were a top 15 team. I looked at the roster, I looked at the rest of the rosters around D1 and when I put them onto an S-Curve I though Marquette was the 14th best team in the nation.

I could go deeper into the math but put simply my belief was (Addition of Jayce + addition of Symir + addition of Dexter (pre-redshirt) + addition of Koby + addition of Greg + average improvement from Markus/Sacar/Theo/Brendan/Ed/Jamal) > (Loss of Sam + Loss of Joey + Loss of Joe + Loss of Matt). I've always though this year would be better than last year.

After reading this I have a greater regard for the work that goes into  your Predictions/Expectation.  (These words are interchangeable)

Just curious, if 23 wins were the peak what was the valley?

Thanks again for sharing your in depth research.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

MU82

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2020, 01:22:24 PM »

Thanks for the detailed answer, TAMU.

So if we achieve exactly what we did last year -- 5-seed and first-round loss -- you become a firm Nojo?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2020, 01:29:31 PM »
Thanks for the detailed answer, TAMU.

So if we achieve exactly what we did last year -- 5-seed and first-round loss -- you become a firm Nojo?

Nope, but it doesn't push me towards Projo either
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2020, 01:31:03 PM »
Nope, but it doesn't push me towards Projo either

Fair.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2020, 01:50:11 PM »
The question was "does Wojo make a team more than the sum of its parts" not "what do we need to do for a successful season." Preseason I expected a 4 seed which means we are favored to make the Sweet 16. That would be meeting my preseason expectations. In order for me to say that Wojo made the team more than the sum of its parts I would need to see more than that, i.e. 3 seed and/or Elite Eight.

Not to nitpick too much, but we were ranked 18th preseason on Kenpom.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2020, 02:29:27 PM »
Not to nitpick too much, but we were ranked 18th preseason on Kenpom.
did kenpom predict a record?

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2020, 03:22:43 PM »
did kenpom predict a record?

Probably, but it would have excluded the final two Orlando games and I'm not sure how to check that.