[May 02, 2024, 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ken Pom Loves the Ox  (Read 25971 times)

MisterJaylenBrownMU

• Team Captain
Ken Pom Loves the Ox
« on: July 26, 2012, 10:48:40 AM »
http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8198679/duke-blue-devils-point-guard-quinn-cook-players-become-stars-expanded-roles-ncb

"2. Davante Gardner: In 19 minutes per game, the 6-foot-8 Gardner's sophomore stats were strikingly similar to [Deshaun] Thomas' freshman season. All but two of his field goal attempts were 2-pointers, and he made 57 percent of them. He got to the free throw line in droves and made 76 percent of his attempts while there. He's a solid rebounder on both offense and defense, and he takes good care of the ball.

Last season was the second in a row that Gardner put up stats showing he was deserving of more playing time. With Jae Crowder and Darius Johnson-Odom plying their trade professionally, there are shots (and minutes) to be had. Expect to hear more from Gardner."

bilsu

• All American
Re: Ken Pom Loves the Ox
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 11:47:06 AM »
I do not see him as a solid rebounder. He is extremely good at rebounding his own misses and my impression is half of his rebounds come from him getting his missed shots. He does not rebound on the defensive boards.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 11:56:06 AM »
Stay healthy, play defense, grab a defensive rebound, then start angling for more playing time. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 11:57:04 AM »
I don't think the verdict is out on Ox as a defensive rebounder. He was used alot as just an offensive sparkplug last year. We may not learn much this year either with Otule being the defensive presence yet again, and Ox being the offensive force he's been through 2 years.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 12:05:38 PM »
Ox doesn't get a lot of defensive rebounds because he is typically pulled out on to the perimeter because he is so shaky on the pick and roll.  As odd as it sounds if he can get a lot of improvement on his hedging and lateral movement his defensive rebounds will go up because he'll actually be under the hoop.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 12:28:31 PM »
He also puts the ball in the hole at a phenomenal rate. Hence his twitter handle, igetbuckets_54. Also, like the article said, he doesn't play that many minutes so what kind of numbers do you exactly expect of the kid? He's been doing a fine job in my opinion of adding instant offense and getting his body in better and better shape each year.

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 12:38:23 PM »
Ox doesn't get a lot of defensive rebounds because he is typically pulled out on to the perimeter because he is so shaky on the pick and roll.  As odd as it sounds if he can get a lot of improvement on his hedging and lateral movement his defensive rebounds will go up because he'll actually be under the hoop.

Not sure I agree with that. Yes, he's away from the basket on occasion but not a lot. Most of the time he just gets out-jumped. Not saying it's a problem, but he isn't a very good defensive rebounder.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 12:44:02 PM »
Not sure I agree with that. Yes, he's away from the basket on occasion but not a lot. Most of the time he just gets out-jumped. Not saying it's a problem, but he isn't a very good defensive rebounder.
Actually, he was getting some nice rebounds before he was hurt at Nova when he used his body to get position.  I think he'll do fine.

Les Nessman

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 12:58:49 PM »
I love Ox.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 01:14:48 PM »
Gardner showed last year before the knee injury he could go 25-30 minutes per game.  His pick and roll defense wasn't as bad as some would like to exaggerate it to be.  He was rapidly improving in that department.

Otule and Gardner provide a nice contrast, but Gardner will get the majority of minutes at center this year.  Book it.  Otule may start, but Gardner will play significantly more minutes overall.  

This year's team, particularly if Mayo is not back, will struggle to score points in the half court.  I'm not sold on Cadougan, Blue, or Jamil Wilson scoring much in the half court game.  Don't know enough about Lockett.  Team will absolutely need Gardner's scoring punch.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 01:46:03 PM by Ners »
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 01:18:15 PM »
I agree with ya Ners.  I think the only way he doesn't get more minutes than Otule is if MU gets plenty of scoring punch elsewhere.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 01:27:34 PM »
With Jae Crowder and Darius Johnson-Odom plying their trade professionally, there are shots (and minutes) to be had. Expect to hear more from Gardner."

I am not sure this will help him, he didn't play DJOs position, and I am not sure he will play PF (depending who they put at C).  The play of him v otule is what will help him.  Outplay Chris, get more minuets.  I don't see many, if ANY, times Chris will bout out there with Ox. 

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 01:42:02 PM »
Actually, he was getting some nice rebounds before he was hurt at Nova when he used his body to get position.  I think he'll do fine.

1 game is fine to look at, but overall he leaves plenty to be desired as a D-rebounder.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 01:50:49 PM »
Ox isn't a rebound guy on either end of the court.  All of those "offensive" rebounds... it's just part of his put-back move.  Think of those sportscenter dunks where one guy banks it off the backboard for his teammate who slams it home.  Same thing here, except Ox plays both roles.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 02:06:08 PM »
To use a coaching term, I don't think he rebounds well "outside of his area". Part of that is size/agility, part of that is effort.

I remember Buzz getting on De De for limping on a defensive possession, but then on offense, suddenly the limp was gone and he had some spring in his step.

Translation: Gardner LOVES offense and is willing to do whatever it takes to score. On defense, I don't know if he has learned to play with max effort every possession (something Jae was awesome at), which isn't uncommon for a young player, especially one of his size.

He's a really nice player. Very Robert Jackson-esque. Nice hands, good scoring touch, good low post footwork, creates space with his strength.

Needs to play harder on defense, cover more ground (pick and roll) and rebound out of his area.

Maybe 13 and 7 this year? Otule goes 8 and 6? That's nice efficient production from Center in split minutes.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 02:20:48 PM »
Gardner showed last year before the knee injury he could go 25-30 minutes per game.  His pick and roll defense wasn't as bad as some would like to exaggerate it to be.  He was rapidly improving in that department.

I'm gonna disagree.  When Ox hedges he gets his center of gravity "leaned" out to the outside, forcing him to recover to center and then drop on his man.  If he eliminates that he will be fine, otherwise he will always be a step slow and teams will run the pick and roll both for scoring chances and to tire him out.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 02:23:55 PM »
I don not know if it bother you guys, but it drives me nuts when either Gardner or Otule are chasing guards instead of playing under the basket. Had Otule stayed under the basket he would not have hurt his knee going after a loose ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 02:26:18 PM »
I don not know if it bother you guys, but it drives me nuts when either Gardner or Otule are chasing guards instead of playing under the basket. Had Otule stayed under the basket he would not have hurt his knee going after a loose ball.

Well, hedging the screen to prevent penetration to the lane is the defense that Buzz plays...and is pretty common these days.  Otule's injury could have happened anywhere...it was a freak injury.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012, 02:31:29 PM »
To use a coaching term, I don't think he rebounds well "outside of his area". Part of that is size/agility, part of that is effort.

I remember Buzz getting on De De for limping on a defensive possession, but then on offense, suddenly the limp was gone and he had some spring in his step.

Translation: Gardner LOVES offense and is willing to do whatever it takes to score. On defense, I don't know if he has learned to play with max effort every possession (something Jae was awesome at), which isn't uncommon for a young player, especially one of his size.

He's a really nice player. Very Robert Jackson-esque. Nice hands, good scoring touch, good low post footwork, creates space with his strength.

Needs to play harder on defense, cover more ground (pick and roll) and rebound out of his area.

Maybe 13 and 7 this year? Otule goes 8 and 6? That's nice efficient production from Center in split minutes.

Good observations. I actually think his upside (offensively) is higher than Jackson's. As for this year, 21 and 13 a game from our centers = seashells and balloons. Sign me up.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2012, 02:38:54 PM »
Good observations. I actually think his upside (offensively) is higher than Jackson's. As for this year, 21 and 13 a game from our centers = seashells and balloons. Sign me up.

As a senior, I think DG could be better than jackson, but I'd still like to see him a little thinner and healthy for a whole year (his junior year).

If he does that, he's on track to have a great senior year.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2012, 02:49:25 PM »
1 game is fine to look at, but overall he leaves plenty to be desired as a D-rebounder.
Talking about the series of games prior to Nova.  He had some critical defensive boards.  Talking quality, not quantity here.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2012, 04:16:27 PM »
Start Otule for the tip & defense, sub Ox in at the first media timeout for his offensive prowess & a completely different look for the opposing C, distribute the minutes 12-16/game for Chris, 24-28/game for Ox with the luxury of riding the hot hand.  Stay healthy.

Lather, rinse, repeat.  Top 4 Big East finish, top 5 NCAA seed guaranteed.

karavotsos

• All American

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2012, 09:44:29 PM »
Big OReb that was not off his own miss.

http://tlorc.wordpress.com/2012/01/15/pittsburgh-allows-a-critical-offensive-rebound-late-against-marquette/#more-2045

That play is almost the problem in itself. He didn't get more than 3 inches off the ground going for it.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2012, 09:47:28 PM »
Can anyone who saw him comment on how his vertical was in the pro-am?  Is it up to 6 inches?

Man, imagine what kind of damage this guy could jump.

feedback