[Today at 07:43:22 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by cheebs09
[May 12, 2024, 09:16:55 PM]

New 2024 Committment According to Ben Steele: Joshua Clark by tower912
[May 12, 2024, 08:23:11 PM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 12, 2024, 03:17:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1124350 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #4150 on: April 15, 2020, 09:38:16 PM »
Same thing Anderson Cooper said March 4. Lots o’ people got it wrong, hey?
Yes, looking back at what he said on March 4th, Anderson Cooper certainly badly underestimated the coronavirus in thinking it wasn't as bad as the flu.  On March 4th.

Are you telling me that in all honesty what Bennett said, on April 15th, with all the evidence from all around the world, that this is just like the flu and social distancing/sheltering-in-place was unnecessary, you think those are the same thing? On April 15th?

I am absolutely convinced that this is what will happen. "See?  What was the big deal?  I told you it was all a hoax", completely ignoring that the social distancing and stay-at-home orders are what kept the numbers lower.  Wait for it.

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4151 on: April 15, 2020, 09:47:51 PM »
Banned
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 10:26:11 PM by SoCalwarrior »
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #4152 on: April 15, 2020, 10:45:02 PM »
Same thing Anderson Cooper said March 4. Lots o’ people got it wrong, hey?

It is important to accurately report what a person said. Anderson Cooper said that if you are worried about COVID, you should also worry about the flu, because at that point it was far more prevalent than COVID, and you can protect yourself from it via vaccine.

In a segment talking about the serious risks of COVID, he tried to encourage people to get a flu vaccine, by correctly pointing out that 15,000 had died from the flu that season, and you can do something about it.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #4153 on: April 15, 2020, 11:34:52 PM »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4154 on: April 15, 2020, 11:50:38 PM »
Can you provide some evidence 6 weeks later as it pertains to this article on testing that the Prez is slowing the process?

Well, if you don't understand that Trump is now driving the CDC messaging, I don't know what to tell you. Here's from March 29, though not about the specific topic you're demanding proof for...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/cdc-issues-travel-warning-new-york-states-trumps-quarantine-threat-2020-3%3famp
"On the recommendation of the White House CoronaVirus Task Force, and upon consultation with the Governor's of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, I have asked the CDC to issue a strong Travel Advisory, to be administered by the Governors," the president tweeted.

So if he can request the CDC issue a travel advisory (and they complied), why could he not request they open up testing today? Makes no sense, right?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #4155 on: April 16, 2020, 08:14:03 AM »
Two part article about how statistical analysis shows we are probably underestimating the overall mortality of direct and indirect COVID deaths.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/more-on-excess-mortality-and-covid19s-hidden-toll

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #4156 on: April 16, 2020, 08:18:56 AM »
This is a good article about Dr. Fauci & his relationship with his mentor.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-mentor-who-made-dr-anthony-fauci-11587040520

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #4157 on: April 16, 2020, 08:23:50 AM »
Reuters is saying recovered South Koreans are re-testing positive for the virus.  That is not good.  Hopefully it is an anomaly of some sort.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4158 on: April 16, 2020, 08:28:03 AM »
Reuters is saying recovered South Koreans are re-testing positive for the virus.  That is not good.  Hopefully it is an anomaly of some sort.
True, but doctors there think it's far more likely a result of relapse than re-infection, which is important.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #4159 on: April 16, 2020, 08:49:15 AM »

It's probably not. Contrary to popular belief, we do not really understand why some diseases are seasonal. It turns out the science doesn't really support "temperature and humidity" being a major factor.

What some data has shown is that for a small subset of the population, viruses can essentially go into hiding, and stay in some people. For unknown reasons, these viruses can remerge in a seasonal manner leading to respread of infections.

Now this isn't proven either (hence, not really understanding why some diseases are seasonal), but there is pretty strong evidence that these viruses can go into hiding. It was believed to be true for SARS also,. but there we didn't have 100's of thousands of infections. So the number of instances where that would have occurred is minimal, and we were able to snuff it out pretty quick.

If that is a mechanism of seasonal infection, we are going to have millions of infections, so a pretty large number of these "hidden and reactivated" infections. I'm afraid that, because of slow action, this one is definitely endemic. Hopefully we have longer term immunity (like SARS) and not very short immunity (MERS).

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #4160 on: April 16, 2020, 08:49:56 AM »
Elon Musk claims he'll be distributing 250K masks and 1K ventilators.  Hope this is real. Musk has a history of overly optimistic timelines, but good to see private citizens stepping in to fill the void.

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/03/21/elon-musk-should-have-1000-ventilators-next-week-250k-n95-masks-for-hospitals-tomorrow-cleantechnica-exclusive/
So yeah, Elon Musk...

Elon Musk Promised Ventilators. None of Them Showed Up

Tesla's CEO faces criticism over his bold promises. Why keeping your promise matters.

Elon Musk is no stranger to bold promises or controversy. They frequently travel together in his case. It shouldn't come as much of a surprise then that Musk is facing criticism for failing to live up to one of those bold promises. Except in this case, when you promise to deliver life-saving ventilators and you don't, it's more than simply controversial.

Over the past few weeks, Musk's public statements on ventilators have included statements that Tesla would manufacture them if needed, that he had purchased 1,000 "FDA approved ventilators," and that he had sent those to hospitals.

The problem is no hospitals have actually received ventilators from Musk or Tesla. Instead, some of what was donated and sent to hospitals were devices used to treat sleep apnea. Known as BiPAP machines, those devices don't force air directly into the lungs using a breathing tube--which is required for patients suffering from severe forms of Covid-19.

In addition, the California Governor's office has said none of the hospitals in that state have received any ventilators that were promised.

https://www.inc.com/jason-aten/elon-musk-promised-ventilators-none-showed-up.html

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #4161 on: April 16, 2020, 08:51:43 AM »
I'm shocked that Elon Musk's statements fall far short of reality!!!
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #4162 on: April 16, 2020, 08:51:53 AM »
Had a meeting yesterday where our covid protocols were brought up. From leadership, basically we have a few masks, shields and gowns that will be divided up when needed. Recycled and reused. This is of course for people with developmental and behavioral issues. So this comes with increased chances of infection for anyone servicing them.

When I brought up the facts that the only way one of our residents gets covid is if one of our staff has it, what's the protocol then? They asked me to elaborate...

If one staff is infected more staff is likely. Were already short staffed. Our dsps make 10 dollars an hour. When someone goes down, were going to see them drop like flies.

What is the protocol for when 80% of staff doesn't show. Crickets.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #4163 on: April 16, 2020, 08:54:36 AM »
I'm shocked that Elon Musk's statements fall far short of reality!!!
Indeed, so out of character

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4164 on: April 16, 2020, 08:59:48 AM »
...here we go...
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

• All American
« Reply #4165 on: April 16, 2020, 09:03:12 AM »
Yep.  People predicted this way before the quarantining began.  That people think we overreacted.

And like clockwork...
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4166 on: April 16, 2020, 09:08:08 AM »
NPR on the five things we need to do to safely reopen. Not surprisingly, huge increases in rapid testing capability and contact tracing are #1 and #2...both things for which CDC is uniquely qualified, but which in 2020 have gotten delegated (through negligence or intent, you decide) to state and private entities.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/04/16/npr-whats-it-going-to-take-to-end-the-shutdown-5-keys-to-containing-coronavirus

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4167 on: April 16, 2020, 09:10:02 AM »
...here we go...

Is this going to affect how people vote in November (assuming mankind survives that long)?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 09:12:55 AM by GooooMarquette »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #4168 on: April 16, 2020, 09:18:41 AM »
...here we go...
So when I posted last night about Bill Bennett doing this exact thing, you ripped me. And now you post about it. LOL

#readingnomatta?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 09:22:19 AM by TSmith34 »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4169 on: April 16, 2020, 09:19:18 AM »
Had a meeting yesterday where our covid protocols were brought up. From leadership, basically we have a few masks, shields and gowns that will be divided up when needed. Recycled and reused. This is of course for people with developmental and behavioral issues. So this comes with increased chances of infection for anyone servicing them.

When I brought up the facts that the only way one of our residents gets covid is if one of our staff has it, what's the protocol then? They asked me to elaborate...

If one staff is infected more staff is likely. Were already short staffed. Our dsps make 10 dollars an hour. When someone goes down, were going to see them drop like flies.

What is the protocol for when 80% of staff doesn't show. Crickets.

Yup, you guys absolutely get the shaft.  What happens when you guys drop like flies is what happens in nursing homes in NJ when staff is overwhelmed.  People get abandoned and left sitting in their own feces like caged animals.

The guys at that meeting need to have a plan.  The alternative is that there is no home staff for folks, and they are left to fend for themselves... and probably die.  Tell them to calculate the lawsuits they'd be open to if there isn't adequate staffing.  Hopefully, legal counsel is in the room to hear what the upper management has to say.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #4170 on: April 16, 2020, 09:22:20 AM »
Yup, you guys absolutely get the shaft.  What happens when you guys drop like flies is what happens in nursing homes in NJ when staff is overwhelmed.  People get abandoned and left sitting in their own feces like caged animals.

The guys at that meeting need to have a plan.  The alternative is that there is no home staff for folks, and they are left to fend for themselves... and probably die.  Tell them to calculate the lawsuits they'd be open to if there isn't adequate staffing.  Hopefully, legal counsel is in the room to hear what the upper management has to say.

Regarding the latter, the GOP is fighting to make all employers exempt from any lawsuits related to coronavirus infections. It is part of the phase 4 plan they are currently working on.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 09:49:45 AM by forgetful »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4171 on: April 16, 2020, 09:31:50 AM »

In my job, I work primarily with nursing homes.  Obviously, this is an absolute nightmare scenario for them.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

• All American
« Reply #4172 on: April 16, 2020, 09:35:01 AM »

In my job, I work primarily with nursing homes.  Obviously, this is an absolute nightmare scenario for them.

And it's such a shame because my parents and mother-in-law moved into them because they (and we) thought they would be safer and more healthy there.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #4173 on: April 16, 2020, 10:46:49 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEw5TelJ7Yk

We need to evolve to a fact based discussion about how to control the virus.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #4174 on: April 16, 2020, 10:55:11 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEw5TelJ7Yk

We need to evolve to a fact based discussion about how to control the virus.

Agreed. She is both a knowledgeable scientist, and a skilled politician. She knows how to simultaneously inform people, and not create hysteria, but rather an informed caution.

edit: Cuomo just did a brilliant job of walking through this same concept of where we are, where we need to be, and where other nations were when they successfully shut this down. He is proving to be a great communicator.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 11:01:52 AM by forgetful »