collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Job hunting 101  (Read 19080 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: Job hunting 101
« Reply #100 on: April 26, 2017, 10:24:45 AM »
Because I'm sure if I provoked and made fun of someone for their personal beliefs in a completely unrelated topic when it was never mentioned you all would be the bastion of morality and not defend yourselves...

Did I fook up and over exaggerate in the response? Yea, sure but I'm a fiery and emotional person who doesn't take crap. It absolutely gets the better of me sometimes but I will never apologize for who I am.

Anyways, thank for the PM Chick, and Sultan and TAMU for having a much cooler head than me and understanding where my generation is coming from.

Anyways back on topic ESPN cuts are scary but I'd rather take this risk instead of getting anywhere near the corporate world, I can't imagine ever seeing myself in the business world. Also got an email today from a sports media company with offices in the U.K. and US. So it's a start.

Peace and love

Goose

• All American
« Reply #101 on: April 26, 2017, 10:31:03 AM »
Chitown

Good luck in the search. As Sir said on previous post, anyway that I could help anyone find a gig feel free to reach out to me. Actually pisses me off because I tried to get interns from MU in Supply Chain Management and struck out. Had to go to UWM to fill the positions.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #102 on: April 26, 2017, 10:51:21 AM »
Wow, some of you guys are real a$$holes.

To most of you, ChiTown is just a faceless poster on a fansite, but I know him personally, and he is a fine young man.  I know that many of you are old and cynical and gave up on your dream career aspirations decades ago, but that does not give you the right to try to destroy someone else's.

None of you have any clue whether or not ChiTown has the talent or drive it takes to make it as a sports journalist, but many of you choose to tell him he will fail.  How dare you? Is it that you are jealous that he has the stones to pursue his dream, while you toil away as a  corporate drone while wondering what might have been?  Would it kill any of you to give this young man some encouragement (and for those of you that have, thanks)?

Now if you will excuse me, I am going to  PM ChiTown with my own advice.  And maybe some of you should meditate a little on why you would act so hateful towards a young person who only wanted a little jobseeking help from his fellow Warriors.

Thanks for the rant, Mom.

1.) I'm sure the original poster is a nice guy.
2). Sports journalism is dying.  Read MU82's post, Google it, or buy a local newspaper.  The best piece of advice you can get is to not board the sinking ship.
3).  WarriorChick PM'd you, so I'm sure you're a featured columnist in the Tribune already.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #103 on: April 26, 2017, 10:56:29 AM »
I don't think it's dying, it's just different and not just because of clickbait. It's multimedia now and that what I really enjoy. I like producing, writing, editing and presenting content. I think the biggest misconceaption people have is that they assume journalism is strictly a written entity. I have no zero interest in writing for a newspaper, but I love producing video content.

It's the technological age, it's almost as quick to produce and publish a video as it is to write an article. Not dying, just different.

RideMyBuycks

• All American
« Reply #104 on: April 26, 2017, 11:19:29 AM »
Chitown

Good luck in the search. As Sir said on previous post, anyway that I could help anyone find a gig feel free to reach out to me. Actually pisses me off because I tried to get interns from MU in Supply Chain Management and struck out. Had to go to UWM to fill the positions.

Must not have been looking from 08-12  ;)

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #105 on: April 26, 2017, 11:44:54 AM »
Chitown

It's a Top 15 program.  Were you not offering enough?   ;)

I don't know if I could convince her to move to MKE for the summer, but my niece is in the Supply Chain Management program at University of Tennessee (ranked #3).  Maybe for next summer....
Have some patience, FFS.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #106 on: April 26, 2017, 11:53:16 AM »
Chick

I understand it is well respected company. We have had interns from MU the past few years in advertising/marketing and quickly filled the spots. The response last year was not there and no follow up from the program brass when we requested help. Actually the closet we came was my having an MU Supply Chain student as an Uber driver.

We offered decent pay and probably an interesting resume builder. Our firm helps roughly 25 companies import product from over 75 factories in China and our clients range from $25m -800m in sales. They would have instant exposure to our client base.

UWM was very responsive and provider a list of potential clients.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #107 on: April 26, 2017, 11:53:27 AM »
I don't think it's dying, it's just different and not just because of clickbait. It's multimedia now and that what I really enjoy. I like producing, writing, editing and presenting content. I think the biggest misconceaption people have is that they assume journalism is strictly a written entity. I have no zero interest in writing for a newspaper, but I love producing video content.

It's the technological age, it's almost as quick to produce and publish a video as it is to write an article. Not dying, just different.

It definitely is evolving. The jobs are condensing and pay is stagnating.  If you are good, stick with it long enough, and get a break you can get paid enough to make a living.

The old guard was specialized into one job: writer or producer or audio/video, etc. Now one person has to do the job of 3-4 but for the salary of one.

I know a lot of people, myself included, that left the business (TV) for economic reasons. Some grinded for years before eventually landing a decent paying job. Some stay if they have a spouse making good money.

Expect long hours, odd work schedules, and a mix of enjoyment and frustration.  There are two ways to go about a career in this field:

1) Try it out for 5-10 years. Maybe you succeed and keep ascending. But always have a backup plan and exit strategy.

2) Get a real job. Do sports journalism in your free time. Freelance, blog, have your own website. Basically make it a hobby and consider yourself lucky if you can get paid.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #108 on: April 26, 2017, 12:01:10 PM »
Chick

I understand it is well respected company. We have had interns from MU the past few years in advertising/marketing and quickly filled the spots. The response last year was not there and no follow up from the program brass when we requested help. Actually the closet we came was my having an MU Supply Chain student as an Uber driver.

We offered decent pay and probably an interesting resume builder. Our firm helps roughly 25 companies import product from over 75 factories in China and our clients range from $25m -800m in sales. They would have instant exposure to our client base.

UWM was very responsive and provider a list of potential clients.

Yep.  Having my own issues trying to hire an MU accounting intern.  I got one response - and tons of resumes from DePaul. 
Have some patience, FFS.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #109 on: April 26, 2017, 12:20:45 PM »
Man, whatever happened to the "follow your dreams" method of working? It not like I'm being utterly unrealistic trying to become a professional athlete or actor

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #110 on: April 26, 2017, 12:51:36 PM »
Man, whatever happened to the "follow your dreams" method of working? It not like I'm being utterly unrealistic trying to become a professional athlete or actor

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #111 on: April 26, 2017, 01:00:40 PM »
I'd recommend doing it the way that Brian Windhorst did:  attend the same high school as the best basketball player in the world; cover him extensively (some might say obsessively); and parlay that into a career.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #112 on: April 26, 2017, 01:54:03 PM »
Does anybody remember how great Grantland was?  I still think there is a market out there for written content.

Or maybe not since Grantland is gone.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #113 on: April 26, 2017, 02:06:46 PM »
Does anybody remember how great Grantland was?  I still think there is a market out there for written content.

Grantland was phenomenal. Saw what you want about Simmons, but the dude could flat out write and had a great eye for talent.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #114 on: April 26, 2017, 02:10:45 PM »

Simmons hired basically anyone worth anything from Grantland and they all run the Ringer for him now.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #115 on: April 26, 2017, 02:18:49 PM »

While it couldn't keep Zach Lowe and David Jacoby (or Wesley Morris for film), see The Ringer.

And ChiTown, though I'm not entirely in a position to lecture, network your ass off.  Leverage chick or TAMU or whomever reaches out to the best of your abilities.  I graduated from MU in 2015 so I'm assuming we're close to, if not, the same age; but networking was the sole reason I got the job I have now and why there are some exciting opportunities going forward.  I have some connections at the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel if that helps.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #116 on: April 26, 2017, 02:35:47 PM »
Sports journalism isn't dying, but the ability of a sports journalist to earn a real living in his job has been seriously eroded. It is the BleacherReportization of the business.

Having said that, Chitown, if you are absolutely committed to entering this cruddy business and if you are realistic about your chances of financial riches, sure, absolutely, follow your dream.

I definitely hope this opportunity you mentioned pans out for you - good luck, and keep us posted!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #117 on: April 26, 2017, 02:52:03 PM »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #118 on: April 26, 2017, 02:53:53 PM »
While it couldn't keep Zach Lowe and David Jacoby (or Wesley Morris for film), see The Ringer.

Have some patience, FFS.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #119 on: April 26, 2017, 03:44:58 PM »
Chitown

Thanks for the encouragement.  I'm looking for one right now too.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #120 on: April 27, 2017, 06:25:03 PM »
Great piece on the hard work that it takes to be a sports journalist and what it means to be a true journalist (rather than, say, a Skip Bayless)

http://www.widerightnattylite.com/2017/4/27/15443748/they-just-lost-our-dream-job-thoughts-on-the-espn-layoffs

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #121 on: April 27, 2017, 06:44:35 PM »
nm
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 07:09:20 PM by mu-rara »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #122 on: April 27, 2017, 06:48:25 PM »
Apply with George Soros for a paid protester position in Berkeley.  It's where the unemployed twits from ESPN are headed.

God you're unbearable. Any opposing view point from yours is horrible and you insult it. One of the worst posters on this board.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #123 on: April 27, 2017, 10:37:56 PM »
Great piece on the hard work that it takes to be a sports journalist and what it means to be a true journalist (rather than, say, a Skip Bayless)

http://www.widerightnattylite.com/2017/4/27/15443748/they-just-lost-our-dream-job-thoughts-on-the-espn-layoffs
\
Bayless used to be a great reporter. He then realized it was more profitable to be great at being Skip. That's called capitalism.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #124 on: April 27, 2017, 11:11:30 PM »
Yea, I hide it pretty well in anything that can be directly related back to me. There are probably 3 people on this board who actually know who I am.

That works for you and against you, right?  If you are asking people for help, say one of them is able to put a recommendation in for you or get a door opened.  People here want to help, but because no one really knows anyone here but makes observations anyway (often unfair ones), you could be hurting yourself.   How is someone here to know that hiring you or recommending you to a friend doesn't deliver someone that is a good journalist but slams anyone against your political views as Fuhrer followers?  See what I mean?

But I'm merely a geezer and in the working world for a long time, so what do I know.