[Today at 06:46:15 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Who is our go-to guy when we need a hoop?  (Read 3620 times)

tower912

• All American
Who is our go-to guy when we need a hoop?
« on: February 21, 2008, 05:07:34 AM »
3 Seconds left, down 1, ball out on the side or underneath.   Who do you run a play for, what is it, and why?   I think one of our seldom discussed weaknesses is that we have no one we can almost always count on when we need a basket at the end of a game or to stop momentum.        All of that aside,  we were up 23, relaxed and saw what happened.   Happens to many teams.  Still a 9 point road win.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

larrym

• Starter
Re: Who is our go-to guy when we need a hoop?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 06:53:14 AM »
That's easy.  James.  He was last year too, the Pitt game comes to mind.  He is by far our best player, most likely to get open on an inbound play, is the one that can best create his own shot, best decision maker and best ball handler.  Check out the end of the shot clock situations too, he's always the one taking the shot.

reesiecup210

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 07:03:07 AM »
James for sure. Don't forget about the Valpo game last year.

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 08:18:19 AM »
Definitely James, at least last night.  Sure felt like we needed his layup that brought the game to 63-50 and effectively put it out of reach after we let off the gas pedal.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 08:21:19 AM »
Undoubtedly James...He has the ability to drive and finish, drive and elevate, or drive and dish. He may not end up being the one to put it up, but there is no doubt his number will be the one called - as it should be.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 08:57:15 AM »
James for sure. Don't forget about the Valpo game last year.
Don't forget about the last play @Notre Dame game this year...

I know that sounds too harsh.  I am a huge fan of James.  Marquette is a better team with James on the floor and a much better team with a productive James on the floor.  He is one of the best if not the best player on the team.  I was just pointing out recent evidence pertaining to the question of the thread.  I don't know what the play was supposed to be, but what actually happened was just a terrible, terrible play.  That being said, without James we're not even close to down 3 with a shot to tie on the final possession either.

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 09:22:08 AM »
@UL in 05-06 is another example of late-game James. I do feel comfortable with the ball in his hands at the end, though Lazar is becoming a clutch option as well.

MarquetteVol

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 10:05:21 AM »
The thing about James is that he gives us the best overall chance to score. No knock on Hayward or McNeal, but if they have the ball in that situation then they'll definitely take the shot. With DJ, he may drive and kick, drive and dump, etc. He's the best option to find an open guy in that situation. I'm still surprised, though, he didn't get the ball to Cubbie at ND. I thought that was the play design. But, we weren't expecting the token pressure on the ball. Still, he's not afraid to take a big shot.

I also think we're in good shape in those situations, because all of our guys demand attention from the defense, and anyone of them can hit a big shot. That's a nice luxury.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 10:31:38 AM »
I'd want the ball in James hands, but wouldn't want him to shoot. I'd try to draw something up to get him to the basket for either a layup for a dish off.

If we need a three, it's Lazar all the way.

MarquetteVol

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 11:01:59 AM »

To me, Cubillian is right there with Lazar. He seems to like pressure and taking big shots. If he ever hits a buzzer beater, only God knows what the celebration dance would look like.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 11:16:08 AM »
James... Check out the end of the shot clock situations too, he's always the one taking the shot.

may not always be a good shot. for some reason his shots from 25 feet + come to mind.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 11:18:09 AM »
I'd want the ball in James hands, but wouldn't want him to shoot. I'd try to draw something up to get him to the basket for either a layup for a dish off.

amen.

i would also be comfortable with the ball in Cubbie's hand if a 3 was needed.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 11:24:52 AM »
I'd go with either Lazar or Cubillan. They seem to have the most consistent shot. But I agree with all you guys that it starts with James, but it should end with Lazar or David.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 01:19:42 PM »
DJ with Lazar a very very close second. 

mcnealfan1

• Walk-On
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 02:52:43 PM »
lol david shouldnt even be on the court in a clutch situation, he is a streaky shooter and if his jumpshot is not on. he gives you nothing out there, dj cant shoot so how does he give you the best chance of scoring, and lazar has been nowhere to be found the last three games, what are you watching

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 03:00:42 PM »
I'm curious "mcnealfan1," is it your opinion that Jerel should be our #1 option at crunch time? I think we can all agree that we like aspect's of Jerel's game, but don't you have to take into consideration:

1. He's a poor shooter
2. His offensive "style" leads to a lot of offensive fouls
3. He turns the ball over at a rate that is far and away higher than anybody on the team

If you agree with all those assessments -- and I don't know how you cannot -- why would he be out best option? It seems to me that he might be at the bottom of the list!

Now if you're talking about who I want guarding the OTHER team's "go-to" guy, then it'd probably be Jerel.

mcnealfan1

• Walk-On
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 03:10:26 PM »
maybe you need to go look at some statistics, first off the whole team are poor shooters, except for the guys who only average like 5 shots a game, second lazar hayward is averging more charges then mcneal this year, third mcneal is only averging maybe 1 more turnover then anybody else on the team, and last but not least jm is either first or second in every statistical category on the team, lol bottom of the list come on, has to be first option or second option for us to be successful

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2008, 04:20:18 PM »
This may sound crazy, but for a 3 pointer at the end of a game what about Dan Fitzgerald?  I think at the end of the game if he's on the court the defense focuses more on the other players and he's able to get more open than Lazar or DJ can, and he just has a pure stroke. I'm confident in his shot when he's shooting without hesitating, and if it's at the end of the game he doesn't have much of a chance to hesitate.  Don't forget the shot against Seton Hall at home that put the game away with 3 or whatever seconds left.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUFanInGreenBay

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2008, 04:45:28 PM »
This may sound crazy, but for a 3 pointer at the end of a game what about Dan Fitzgerald?  I think at the end of the game if he's on the court the defense focuses more on the other players and he's able to get more open than Lazar or DJ can, and he just has a pure stroke. I'm confident in his shot when he's shooting without hesitating, and if it's at the end of the game he doesn't have much of a chance to hesitate.  Don't forget the shot against Seton Hall at home that put the game away with 3 or whatever seconds left.

Totally agree with this. Fitzgerald obviously needs to be set-up though with some penetration or something. So I say have James drive and kick to Fitz in the corner. James is our best ball handler and best driver. And Fitz isn't called "big shot Dan" for nothing.

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2008, 10:50:38 PM »
McNeal is not a 'terrible' shooter..he has his spots where you know he wont hit. But his degree of difficulty of shots he hits is higher than anyone on the team. Anyone. I'd be comfortable with the ball in Jerel's hands at the end of the game, although james would be my #1. I'd be okay with Jerel though.
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

feedback