[Today at 06:46:15 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jamil Wilson news per Rivals...  (Read 5769 times)

GymBar96

• Walk-On

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Jamil Wilson news per Rivals...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 12:42:04 PM »
Can you post the article itself?
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 12:48:39 PM »
In related news... how funny is 'marquettewatch.com'?

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 01:04:06 PM »
Ringoutahoya.com still goes to that site.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 02:01:31 PM »
Is there any chance to get this guy? 

I say no.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 02:33:00 PM »
In related news... how funny is 'marquettewatch.com'?

Ohh...they have a new publisher as of today...  8-)

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 04:32:38 PM »
Is there any chance to get this guy? 

I say no.

I think it's 50/50  8-).

What makes you say no?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 05:22:53 PM »
Any chance Esoteric is Marquette65 who is ......

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 05:44:08 PM »
I wouldn't say its a necessity to get another in-stater, but it sure would be nice.
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 06:29:21 PM »

No.  But maybe they have the same friends...

Desert_Eagle

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 09:52:50 PM »
Ya, please post the article. You have to be an insider to read it.
"Marquette is bigger than any one person. Marquette is Marquette."

MUFanInGreenBay

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 10:12:57 PM »
Here you go:

February 19, 2008

Jerry Meyer
Rivals.com Basketball Recruiting

While developing both physically and skill wise, four-star 2009 prospect Jamil Wilson is poised to lead his Racine (Wisc.) Horlick High School squad into the playoffs. Wisconsin and Marquette are in hot pursuit of the 6-foot-7, 211-pound small forward while other schools are extending offers as well.

Wisconsin and Marquette are battling to keep Wilson in-state.
"The schools recruiting me the hardest are the local schools- Wisconsin and Marquette," said Wilson. "I'm also beginning to hear a lot from USC. Tennessee, Ohio State, Purdue, Michigan State, Baylor and Iowa State have all offered and are recruiting me."

This past weekend Wilson made the short trip to for the Badgers game against the Minnesota Gophers.

"It was a nice trip," said Wilson. "They treated me and my friends well, and we enjoyed the game. Afterwards, we got to talk to the players and coaches, which was nice. We even picked up some tips to help us with our game."

An athletic combo forward, Wilson has the eye of colleges across the country although Wisconsin and Marquette are viewed as the schools to beat in his recruitment. Wilson is refraining from nailing down an official school list and might even wait until the spring of his senior season to sign.

"This summer I plan on getting my list down to a top ten," he said. "Then I'll make a decision in the fall or after my senior season."

When the time comes to make a decision, academics will play an important role in the process.

"Academics were always big with my mom, and I'm not going to disregard that," he said. "I want to be around great teachers and in a strong academic environment. I also want to play for great coaches and have great players around me. And as a freshman I'd like to play some or at least get my feet wet."

With his team standing at 17-3 and first in the conference, Wilson is averaging 19.7 points, 11 rebounds, three blocks and three steals per game.

"My game is coming along nicely," he said. "I'm doing a lot of work on the fundamentals. Some things have gotten away from me since I've grown. I'm working on getting a quicker release on my jumper and also improving my opposite hand."

Wilson is the No. 33 ranked prospect in the class of 2009.

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 10:22:35 PM »

"Academics were always big with my mom, and I'm not going to disregard that," he said. "I want to be around great teachers and in a strong academic environment. I also want to play for great coaches and have great players around me. And as a freshman I'd like to play some or at least get my feet wet."

I hope location is also big with his mom.  Stay close to home and let your mom watch her baby play!

bma725

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 10:26:14 PM »

I hope location is also big with his mom.  Stay close to home and let your mom watch her baby play!

Note the "were" not "is".  His mom died of cancer last year.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 10:58:59 PM »
probably could crack the badger starting lineup next year, but not Marquette.  He is a nice player, but locals tend to flee.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2008, 11:05:10 PM »

Note the "were" not "is".  His mom died of cancer last year.

Oops, sorry for the lack of attention to detail. 

And while it's probably true he wouldn't start, I'd imagine he'd be one of the first off the bench.  He'd definitely "get his feet wet" but I'm sure the guy wants more than that.  He'll wanna swim.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2008, 11:47:48 PM »
I can't see a player like him going to the Badgers and lose his talent to Bo's offense... however I can see him like Alando Tucker and killing MU for years.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2008, 03:52:30 PM »

No, and I don't have many friends....hence my presence on a Marquette basketball board. 

As for Wilson, its just my esoteric mind predicting the future of the program.  He won't list his finalists, which leads me to believe he wants to keep his options open in case he has a monster summer.  And even then he will be listing 10 schools, the guy seems to like the attention and maybe will fall in love with a warm weather campus like USC or Tenn.

Also, name the last time Crean has landed his top priority?  Honest question.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2008, 03:58:54 PM »

No, and I don't have many friends....hence my presence on a Marquette basketball board. 

As for Wilson, its just my esoteric mind predicting the future of the program.  He won't list his finalists, which leads me to believe he wants to keep his options open in case he has a monster summer.  And even then he will be listing 10 schools, the guy seems to like the attention and maybe will fall in love with a warm weather campus like USC or Tenn.

Dominic James?
SS Marquette

nyg

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2008, 05:02:21 PM »
Wilson does not need to have a monster summer, he is already there.  Rivals has him at #33 overall, yet most recruiting services have him in their top ten.  For example, Scouts has him at #6 overall.  If signed, he would be the highest ranked MU recruit in 30 years. Lets give him some attention. 

bartmiller#1

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2008, 05:13:54 PM »

Mbakwe.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2008, 05:18:34 PM »

Dominic James?

I thought the guy from NC was the top priority.

Top Ten! Now I see why he's holding out.....I'm interested to see his list.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2008, 05:38:28 PM »
Yes, he is a top ten recruit, but who is the prospect MU is recruiting from North Carolina for 2009???
Wilson's top schools of interest at this time are MU and Wisconsin.  Others listed are Arizona, Tennessee and other elites.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2008, 06:01:27 PM »
probably could crack the badger starting lineup next year, but not Marquette.  He is a nice player, but locals tend to flee.

In all seriousness, who at MU would start before Wilson?   :o  MU hasn't had this caliber of player since I can remember... if he comes, I guarantee he's starting.
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

bma725

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2008, 07:17:54 PM »

Dominic James?

I thought the guy from NC was the top priority.

Top Ten! Now I see why he's holding out.....I'm interested to see his list.

No Frasor was not the top priority.  James and then Matthews were the top two priorities that year.  Frasor was preferred over McNeal, but he was still the 3rd most important recruit.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2008, 08:33:17 PM »

Is there a list you are aware of that says "top priority"   ;)

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2008, 08:48:58 PM »

In all seriousness, who at MU would start before Wilson?   :o  MU hasn't had this caliber of player since I can remember... if he comes, I guarantee he's starting.

No guarantee that he is starting.  He is ranked 10th based on potential but he is not there yet.  Eric Williams, Trevor Mbakwe, Lazar Hayward and Nick Williams all could get minutes ahead of Wilson at the 3 and 4 positions.  Both Williams players while not ranked top 10 are both very very good.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2008, 09:34:37 PM »

No guarantee that he is starting.  He is ranked 10th based on potential but he is not there yet.  Eric Williams, Trevor Mbakwe, Lazar Hayward and Nick Williams all could get minutes ahead of Wilson at the 3 and 4 positions.  Both Williams players while not ranked top 10 are both very very good.

If Jamil comes... he will start. 
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2008, 11:34:32 PM »

If Jamil comes... he will start. 

I've seen Jamil, Lazar and now Trevor play some games and Jamil is not starting over either Lazar a senior or Trevor a junior when Jamil is a freshmen.  This is not the Bucks who promised Yi a starting job and 20 plus minutes a game.  Jamil could be a stud but he is far from it at this point in time.  But it sure would be a great problem to have in figure out how get Jamil and Eric Williams 10-15 minutes a game their freshmen year.