collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: I Promise School  (Read 4659 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: I Promise School
« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2023, 12:18:01 PM »
I don’t want anyone choosing Florida State over Berkeley piloting my plane

How about your pilot being selected for the job based on race?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #101 on: August 04, 2023, 12:20:12 PM »
How about your pilot being selected for the job based on race?

Right over your head, aina?
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #102 on: August 04, 2023, 01:41:03 PM »
Couldn’t disagree more. Change the standards. Not the level to achieve them, change what is important. Standardized math tests have no bearing on what it takes to “have it” or not. Keeping the same standards keeps things the same. Do we want to improve or not? A standardized math test does not teach compassion, empathy, integrity, discipline, motivation, confidence, respect, curiosity, critical thinking. It’s the regurgitation of what a small group of government workers think is the easiest way to manage the system. It is the absolute lowest, easiest, most detrimental choice.

Brother Jump:

How on earth do you measure compassion, empathy, integrity, discipline, motivation, confidence, respect and curiosity? Critical thinking may be measurable through word problems and essays but giving latitude in answers injects operator subjectivity which may or may not be relevant in post scholastic employment.

The reality is I indeed want all of the intangibles you outline in the people we hire. But a person can be the most creative, honest, confident and respectful person but if they can't do the work, there's no way I or my firm will hire them. Not today. Not tomorrow. Not ever!

Too many people are coming out of America's public schools without the ability to do basic math and language skills. In our business, we need those skills along with finance and accounting.

Again, competence is measurable. Character is not. Character is a qualitative assessment that comes from experience, knowhow and breaking down discriminatory barriers. But if the local schools are doing a crappy job of education, their pupils will be condemned to a life where their full potential won't be realized.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2023, 01:43:34 PM »
Competence is partially measurable sure.  But its hardly completely measurable.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #104 on: August 04, 2023, 02:18:09 PM »

Competence is measurable in tbe skills brother dgies listed.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #105 on: August 04, 2023, 02:23:10 PM »
As far as I can tell Lebron James has not made a single comment about his school since this story broke.  Why not have a press conference and speak about ways to improve these results and demand accountability?  It's an excellent opportunity fot him to step-up. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #106 on: August 04, 2023, 02:28:22 PM »
He is dealing with a family emergency.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #107 on: August 04, 2023, 02:35:28 PM »
He is dealing with a family emergency.

That's fair.  Hopefully Bronny is alright.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #108 on: August 04, 2023, 03:26:40 PM »
You have to dig pretty deeply into that article to find a statement from the State of Florida University System Chancellor asserting "State University System of Florida has not received any concerns from our member institutions indicating turnover this year has been any higher than previous years. Turnover occurs every year."

So the piece isn't really about "brain drain". It's about 3-4 slacker professors at New College of Florida pitching a hissy fit  that they aren't being allowed to incorporate DEI and CRT into their teaching. And if their brains "drain" to another school in another state, Florida will be better off for it.

The article is nothing more than creating a false narrative in order to take a shot at Ron DeSantis.

Why take a shot at DeSantis if he shoots himself in the foot on a daily basis?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #109 on: August 04, 2023, 04:29:39 PM »

Brother Sultan:

I agree. Sometimes we think we see the "complete package" only to be sorely disappointed by someone who doesn't live up to expectation. Other times, we take a chance on people and once in awhile, they perform beyond our wildest dreams.

But in this world as it exists today, it's a whole lot harder to take a chance on someone. My judgment gets called into question if someone in HR doesn't like my choice. If I pass over people who fit a social goal to take a chance on a person with an intangible, I get accused of things I'm just not. If I pursue a social goal because it's "good for society," and it doesn't work out, there is hell to pay.

The fact is my associates and I are human. While our perceptions are shaped by our life experiences, the ability to have some tangible and objective criteria on which to judge folks -- GPAs for example or passing the CFA -- are critical metrics.

Don't get me wrong. I really want to hire, promote and mentor people from disadvantaged backgrounds. It's good for our business, good for our community and good for our shareholders. But there has to be a measure of whether they can do the work!

As a final thought, one of my reports came into my office one day complaining about the number of women we hired. He -- and he was a he -- believed men were disadvantaged by our CEO's gender equity view. While I think she over-emphasized it at times (which was her prerogative because she was CEO), I basically amputated his head. "She was a pioneer," I said, "as was any woman who went into professional life in the 1980s. Because of her, my daughter may well have the same opportunity as my son. So you're barking up the wrong tree."

Full disclosure: She wasn't a particularly good CEO. But that had absolutely nothing to do with gender!

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #110 on: August 04, 2023, 04:41:49 PM »
Not only do college rankings have little if anything to do with this, but those rankings were before the assault on Florida's K-12 education started - including the canceling of AP classes strictly due to culture-war issues.

And if you go to one of Florida's fine universities and insist in your U.S. History course that slavery wasn't all bad for Black people - as DeSantis Middle School wants to teach - it probably won't help your grade.

how does that go?  repeat a lie often enough...you guys are the (for fear of using original word) "experts" of this...you just can't let go.  i know you can do it, you'll feel so much better, just breathe and tap your shoes together and...talk about nits man.  anyone who is intellectually honest knows this is another big lefty lie, but because you dominate the media, it emboldens all of you until...the ny times says so or it's finally proven.  then you just slink away and move on to the next lie
don't...don't don't don't don't

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #111 on: August 04, 2023, 04:43:52 PM »
  how does that go?  repeat a lie often enough...you guys are the (for fear of using original word) "experts" of this...you just can't let go.  i know you can do it, you'll feel so much better, just breathe and tap your shoes together and...talk about nits man.  anyone who is intellectually honest knows this is another big lefty lie, but because you dominate the media, it emboldens all of you until...the ny times says so or it's finally proven.  then you just slink away and move on to the next lie

Coming from someone who likely believes in the "Big Lie" this is awful rich.

Saying lefties dominate the media is the most braindead thing you've said in a while, also.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #112 on: August 04, 2023, 04:49:12 PM »
Florida universities are suffering a brain drain as faculty is leaving the state

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jul/30/florida-universities-colleges-faculty-leaving-desantis

they can take their DEI crap with them to another planet.  climate change?  nothing wrong with this as long as they can back up their stuff with science.  teaching that gas stoves and the like are going to be our demise is b.s. yes, our climate is changing...next subject.  florida will have no problem filling the vacancies that NEED to be filled

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #113 on: August 04, 2023, 04:50:22 PM »
Coming from someone who likely believes in the "Big Lie" this is awful rich.

Saying lefties dominate the media is the most braindead thing you've said in a while, also.

this one stung a little bit, eyna hardy?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #114 on: August 04, 2023, 05:03:11 PM »

Might want to sit this one out, kin.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #115 on: August 04, 2023, 05:12:46 PM »
Just to be clear based on the collie costume thread: Sleeping with foxes is illegal. Sultan is suggesting you sleep with the news channel. Hope that clears things up.

In the 1970s I'd like to think that I got pretty close to more than my share of foxes, I don't mind telling you. Nothing illegal about it, other than a jealous ex-boyfriend in 1978 offering to rearrange my face.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #116 on: August 04, 2023, 05:15:52 PM »
Florida universities are suffering a brain drain as faculty is leaving the state

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jul/30/florida-universities-colleges-faculty-leaving-desantis
The New College of Florida? Why do I picture something similar th the show Community?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #117 on: August 04, 2023, 05:18:17 PM »

One indictment, two indictments, three indictments

Pudding fingers losing bad, Arizona burning, Florida brain drain

Heckuva summer, aina?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #118 on: August 04, 2023, 05:31:25 PM »
One indictment, two indictments, three indictments

Pudding fingers losing bad, Arizona burning, Florida brain drain

Heckuva summer, aina?

Both of our likely Presidental candidates in 2024 are liars and criminals Uncle R.  If you're giving Biden a pass you're not thinking rationally. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #119 on: August 04, 2023, 05:33:48 PM »
Both of our likely Presidental candidates in 2024 are liars and criminals Uncle R.  If you're giving Biden a pass you're not thinking rationally.

Get back to me when Biden is indicted three times

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #120 on: August 04, 2023, 05:40:13 PM »
Get back to me when Biden is indicted three times

He’s not going to be because he is both the head of a crime family that controls the deep state AND an addle minded buffoon.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #121 on: August 04, 2023, 06:01:12 PM »

How does your stupidity affect me in any measurable way?  At worst I shake my head and chuckle to myself and think, "This man thinks he is normal".

I guess maybe it stings a little knowing you are a graduate of the same school as me. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #122 on: August 04, 2023, 06:04:47 PM »
Might want to sit this one out, kin.

Jeff Bezos?  Famous lefty billionaire capitalist that breaks unions.  Sinclair Broadcast Group.  Famously left leaning... lmao.  I could continue if you'd like.

Find me the lefties.  MSNBC?  I wouldn't call them dominant, and they're centrist at best.  Like most of the 'media'.

I think I'm good, fam.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #123 on: August 04, 2023, 06:05:49 PM »

Well, they're both war criminals, that's for certain.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #124 on: August 04, 2023, 06:11:18 PM »
Brother Jump:

How on earth do you measure compassion, empathy, integrity, discipline, motivation, confidence, respect and curiosity? Critical thinking may be measurable through word problems and essays but giving latitude in answers injects operator subjectivity which may or may not be relevant in post scholastic employment.

The reality is I indeed want all of the intangibles you outline in the people we hire. But a person can be the most creative, honest, confident and respectful person but if they can't do the work, there's no way I or my firm will hire them. Not today. Not tomorrow. Not ever!

Too many people are coming out of America's public schools without the ability to do basic math and language skills. In our business, we need those skills along with finance and accounting.

Again, competence is measurable. Character is not. Character is a qualitative assessment that comes from experience, knowhow and breaking down discriminatory barriers. But if the local schools are doing a crappy job of education, their pupils will be condemned to a life where their full potential won't be realized.

Brother dgies9156:

I hear you, I do. I’m midway through my life, and I hear you, you’re not alone here. As you say, public schools are doing a terrible job at teaching, so why on earth would we want to continue the method of teaching and measurement, standardized testing? Of course you can teach and measure math competency differently, and perhaps in a more real world way like you are asking for. Standardized testing in something like math, and it’s failures, isn’t on the kids. If it’s failing, change the system. If you want to highlight this example and blame the kids, I think it’s misguided personally. If we want change, we have to change. There are better ways to teach young people.

Question for you, why is the need to measure math competency via a standardized test more important than teaching the intangibles that may or may not be able to be measured? Why continue to put effort, money, time on a failing system, why not change the system? I’m not sure a middle school standardized math exam is important at all, but if we continue to teach to it, expect it to be a measure, continue to fail in education, and the kids continue to fail, well, that’s on us for being insane, as it were.

I’ll finish with of course certain jobs need high level math competence, or even moderate competence, the vast majority do not. All jobs need good work ethic, discipline, focus, enjoyment, curiosity, integrity, and respect.