[Today at 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting Needs?  (Read 10324 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Recruiting Needs?
« on: January 13, 2021, 03:51:59 PM »
I like our 2021-22 class.  I am especially excited about Aidoo although it may take him a year.  I suppose it's conceivable a Senior will come back but I doubt it. One skill-set I would like to add to the roster is a knock-down spot shooter.  I think it's vitally important.  This would be first on my wish list on the immediate transfer market. Is anybody on our radar right now?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Recruiting Needs?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 03:59:37 PM »
I think a switchable is at the top of the staff's list. If they can shoot, that's a bonus. Kendall Brown and DaRon Holmes were who they wanted to fill those roles, but they took their talents elsewhere. If we were to go after a frosh it would likely be either Brandin Podziemiski out of St. John's Military or a TBD late bloomer. I think the likely outcome is the staff tries to fill the need with a transfer, especially if insta-transfers become a thing.

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 04:20:43 PM »
Podziemski is definitely my top target if they are looking at a freshman, but I have a feeling the transfer market will be oversaturated with options, so I would understand them waiting.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 04:30:00 PM »
Nimari Burnett would be the pipe dream for me.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 05:30:54 PM »
A slasher. I don’t care if it’s a freshman or transfer. It’s our biggest need
Bring back FFP!!!

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 05:31:26 PM »
burger boys eh

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 05:33:12 PM »
On next year's current projected roster, there is no one between Dexter and Justin, size-wise.    This really manifests against teams like Creighton or Villanova.   Villanova playing a 5-out motion punishes long slow defenders.  Running their constant pick and roll until they get a 6'8 guy on the blocks being defended by a guard and Gillespie being defended by Theo.

Switchables.   Either through recruiting or transfer.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 07:22:31 PM »
Ya....we could use a switchable as well. 
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 08:59:58 PM by MuggsyB »

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2021, 07:59:20 PM »
Rolling stones.. wait wrong thread.

Buzz had it right with athletic switchables a spot up 3 point shooter would work also.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2021, 11:56:07 PM »
Podziemski is definitely my top target if they are looking at a freshman, but I have a feeling the transfer market will be oversaturated with options, so I would understand them waiting.

This kid looks very good but afraid the blue bloods started sniffing around too soon. A 6’6 kid that can fill it up would be a perfect addition to next years team.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 12:25:58 AM »
What are the categories?
Shooter, slasher, switchable, size ?
How about well coached, athletic, high basketball I.Q., quick, team oriented shooter.
Probably hard to find, then fire Wojo.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2021, 07:53:12 AM »
5 stars, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

muspc2

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2021, 03:55:51 PM »
This may be another example of bordering on projo or nojo, but I agree that what we need is pure talent at any position. It may be the Duke background where 5* and 4* players were common, but I do not see WOJO going any farther than the talent he is able to recruit will take him. I still have hope for Symir and Oso (not so much Dexter). If he can get talent to complement what is here (assuming all stay), it would set up a team which can succeed with minimal set plays and almost no proof that defensive and offensive fundamentals are being taught. For better or worse it would seem that the talent and basketball IQ that the players come to MU with will dictate how successful WOJO's teams will be.

panda

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2021, 03:57:16 PM »
This may be another example of bordering on projo or nojo, but I agree that what we need is pure talent at any position. It may be the Duke background where 5* and 4* players were common, but I do not see WOJO going any farther than the talent he is able to recruit will take him. I still have hope for Symir and Oso (not so much Dexter). If he can get talent to complement what is here (assuming all stay), it would set up a team which can succeed with minimal set plays and almost no proof that defensive and offensive fundamentals are being taught. For better or worse it would seem that the talent and basketball IQ that the players come to MU with will dictate how successful WOJO's teams will be.

We’ve never over achieved with the talent on Wojo’s rosters. Either just barely hitting expectations or falling slightly short. The only path to success is recruiting, which thankfully seems to be a strong suit of the coaching staff.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2021, 04:04:21 PM »
We still need a Butcher, a Baker, and a Candlestick maker, aina?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2021, 04:11:23 PM »
We’ve never over achieved with the talent on Wojo’s rosters. Either just barely hitting expectations or falling slightly short. The only path to success is recruiting, which thankfully seems to be a strong suit of the coaching staff.

We exceeded in 2016-17 and that's about it.  Kenpom numbers.

2019-20: Preseason: 17, Final: 31
2018-19: Preseason: 29, Final: 33
2017-18: Preseason: 49, Final: 53
2016-17: Preseason: 47, Final: 32
2015-16: Preseason: 54, Final: 97
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2021, 04:34:04 PM »

2020-21: Preseason 36, Current: 50

Sadly continuing the trend.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2021, 04:42:08 PM »
bingo!!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2021, 05:19:18 PM »

Ty FBM. 

Translation:

Ughhh
Ughhh
Ughhh
Ughhh
Ughhh

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2021, 05:19:43 PM »

The only guy on this year's roster that I expect will incrementally contribute next year (meaning guys not already heavily contributing) is Oso. We knew coming in he was a bit of a project and needed to bulk up. Had this year "not counted" against eligibility, I'd have guessed Oso would have redshirted.

Symir and Dexter are in a year where they should show some promise. I just don't see it. Both appear to be mid-Major stars. They were over-recruited for a reason (as I said elsewhere) and I'm pretty confident Coach Wojo knows neither is more than a 10-12 minute a game guy.

All of this said, I think Oso may address some of our concerns at the "3", though I would like to see more depth at that position and the "4". I'm optimistic the so-far unrecruited and transfers could get us to the point where we're equal to this year. If we find a shooter somewhere, we might have a pretty decent team. But, candidly I'm not optimistic.

My fear is Marquette is becoming like the Chicago Bears -- good enough to attract interest but not good enough to compete for a national title. Good enough to get a great player or two but not good enough to be a blueblood.

panda

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2021, 05:21:33 PM »
The only guy on this year's roster that I expect will incrementally contribute next year (meaning guys not already heavily contributing) is Oso. We knew coming in he was a bit of a project and needed to bulk up. Had this year "not counted" against eligibility, I'd have guessed Oso would have redshirted.

Symir and Dexter are in a year where they should show some promise. I just don't see it. Both appear to be mid-Major stars. They were over-recruited for a reason (as I said elsewhere) and I'm pretty confident Coach Wojo knows neither is more than a 10-12 minute a game guy.

All of this said, I think Oso may address some of our concerns at the "3", though I would like to see more depth at that position and the "4". I'm optimistic the so-far unrecruited and transfers could get us to the point where we're equal to this year. If we find a shooter somewhere, we might have a pretty decent team. But, candidly I'm not optimistic.

My fear is Marquette is becoming like the Chicago Bears -- good enough to attract interest but not good enough to compete for a national title. Good enough to get a great player or two but not good enough to be a blueblood.

A more apt comparison is the perpetual eight seed in the nba playoffs. Going nowhere, but hard to press the reset button.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2021, 06:13:55 PM »
Why do people always think that any underclassmen is being recruited over whenever we land a recruit in their position? Before the Covid eligibility rule changes we were 100% losing Koby and there have been rumors about DJ leaving after this year since before he even stepped on campus. Bringing in backcourt players was going to be a priority no matter what Sy and Dex did this year. We always have these huge ideas that these not even freshman are going to displace players that have been learning the system and hitting the weights for two+ years, and unless the incoming player is a burger boy (Henry essentially sending Teve packing or Traci seeing the writing on the wall after a few weeks with Markus) that rarely happens. There will be room on the roster for Sy, Dex, Greg, Stevie and Kam. Even throw in Burnett or another transfer and there'd still be room for them all.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2021, 06:56:09 PM »
2020-21: Preseason 36, Current: 50

Sadly continuing the trend.

Wait til the end of the season Brew.  We don’t know anything yet.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2021, 09:40:20 PM »
Agreed, we may need some talent

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2021, 09:53:56 PM »

36 preseason, 68 now. Getting worse.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2021, 09:55:26 PM »

NM

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2021, 09:58:23 PM »
Need good, preferably very good, players everywhere.

Need more shooting for sure. Also would be nice to have a "junkyard dog" or two, guys kinda like Jimmy was as a soph. Obviously, would be better to have Jimmy-ish-as-junior/senior kids, but that's too much to hope for!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2021, 11:09:59 PM »

T-Rank was 76 preseason and is 66 now.

But, in this case, I think Kenpom was closer to a fair assessment than T-rank was preseason. We've underperformed so far.
TAMU

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2021, 11:22:03 PM »

Ha, my patience does not seem to be paying off.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2021, 03:18:39 AM »
Agreed, we may need some talent
No we need....FANS IN THE STANDS...regular schedule played and no pandemic!!!

Nothing wrong with the team or the coaching.

just a return back to a stable routine and normalcy is all we needed.  I shouldn't have to have to say this...

This is a Free Pass year to me...I judge nothing and take what I get. They look great, considering the adversity shared by everyone. No fan should be overly critical...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 03:22:05 AM by MUHoopsFan2 »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2021, 04:20:32 AM »
Da chittier da koach, da moore 5 stars ya need, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2021, 05:01:10 AM »
Need good, preferably very good, players everywhere.

Need more shooting for sure. Also would be nice to have a "junkyard dog" or two, guys kinda like Jimmy was as a soph. Obviously, would be better to have Jimmy-ish-as-junior/senior kids, but that's too much to hope for!

You won't find a junkyard dog going to the Olympics.
The BOT do not associate with junkyard dogs, they are far to elite for that sort of thing.
I hear they are working at getting Marquette into the Ivy league.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2021, 05:31:31 AM »
Biggest recruiting need is anew Head Coach.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2021, 09:22:35 AM »
And players that can grab and hold on to the ball
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2021, 10:25:04 AM »
I have to think a wing who can get to the basket. Things open up when DJ drives, but other than that, we mostly have spot up 3 pt shooters or strictly post guys. Koby has some success driving when under control.

It just seems our offense gets bogged down when Carton can’t drive and we pass along the perimeter. Or force it in the post and hope one of our guys wins a 1:1 matchup.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2021, 03:21:27 PM »
we mostly have spot up 3 pt shooters

Bad spot-up 3-point shooters.  Except maybe GE.

We miss Sacar and Brendan this season a lot more than has been talked about on here.  When those guys were on we were unstoppable.  When they clanked shots we looked terrible.  It's been a whole season the latter without those two guys.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2021, 03:36:05 PM »
Bad spot-up 3-point shooters.  Except maybe GE.

We miss Sacar and Brendan this season a lot more than has been talked about on here.  When those guys were on we were unstoppable.  When they clanked shots we looked terrible.  It's been a whole season the latter without those two guys.

How are Jamal (40%), Koby (38.9%), and Garcia (38.1%) bad three point shooters but Sacar (39.2%) and Bailey (38.3%) good three point shooters?
TAMU

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2021, 03:44:45 PM »
We miss Sacar and Brendan this season a lot more than has been talked about on here. 

Maybe Sacar, but this post was the first time this season I've thought about Brendan Bailey.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2021, 04:15:48 PM »
From a depth perception here's my best guess at next year's depth chart (assuming no defections and no COVID seniors):

PG: Carton, Torrence, Mitchell, Jones
SG: Elliott, Carton, Akanno, Perez, Mitchell, Torrence, Jones
SF: Akanno?, Perez?, Jones, Ighodaro, Lewis, Elliott, Garcia
PF: Lewis, Garcia, Ighodaro, Aidoo
C: Garcia, Aidoo, Lewis, Ighodaro

So from this perspective, unless the staff is confident that Akanno will make a big leap or that Perez will be ready after his redshirt, it looks like the 2-3 is where we need the most help, unless you want roll out a huge lineup of 2 guards and Lewis, Garcia, and Aidoo. Would probably need to change our base defense to zone if that was the plan.

From a replace skills perspective we are set to graduate:
42% of our scoring (1st, 4th, and 6th scorers)
40% of our rebounding (3rd, 4th, and 5th rebounders)
39% of our assists (2nd, 4th, and 5th assisters)
42% of our steals (2nd, 3rd, and 5th stealers)
52% of our blocks (Theo)
41% of our 2Ps (4th, 5th, and 6th 2P shooters)
45% of our 3Ps (1st, 3rd, and 8th 3P shooters)

This is a very basic way to look at things because it doesn't take into account how efficient these guys are but can give you an idea of what skills are going out the door. Biggest one is rim protector but we theoretically address that with Aidoo. Next largest is 3P shooter which matches what a few people have said in this thread already. I believe all three of our recruits can shoot the three but not sure how ready they will be.

You could also look at the perspective of what is MU missing this season that we could address. Here's where MU ranks in the 8 factors from best to worse:
eFG% Allowed: 50th in D1
Off Reb%: 75th
eFG%: 115th
FTR: 125th
FTR Allowed: 175th
Off Reb% Allowed: 179th
Turnover%: 223rd
Turnover% Allowed: 330rd

So based on this, the GLARING deficiency on this team is turnovers on both sides of the ball. There's no excuse for the offensive turnovers. On the defensive end that is a style choice by Wojo which can work but isn't this season. We may get some addition by subtraction on the offensive side as our second worst offender will graduate (Theo at 27.2%) and his minutes will likely go to two more surehanded bigs in Garcia (17.4%) and Lewis (14.8%). Ultimately, I think these numbers will need to be improved by coaching more than recruiting and its hard to have faith that will happen.

So put this all together and I think this team's number one need for next season is a 3 who can shoot from deep and plays aggressive enough D to force some turnovers. So a 3 and D specialist. Maybe Dexter or Jose can grow into that but that's a lot to expect. I wouldn't be surprised to see the staff target another Justin Turner type grad transfer (or regular transfer if the proposal passes).

This could all change in an instant of course if Carton and/or Garcia goes pro or another significant player transfers. I'm pretty confident Garcia will be back. I'm confident Carton won't get drafted but that doesn't mean he won't leave. I haven't heard anything about any other transfers but most programs have at least one.

TAMU

tower912

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2021, 04:19:02 PM »
So, switchables.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Freedom Fighter

• Walk-On
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2021, 07:13:06 PM »
Never been about recruiting with Wojo. We need a new coach.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2021, 08:54:09 PM »
How are Jamal (40%), Koby (38.9%), and Garcia (38.1%) bad three point shooters but Sacar (39.2%) and Bailey (38.3%) good three point shooters?

Get out of here with your statistics. 

What would those stats look like if we were just talking conference games?  Because I'm seeing 3-16 and 10-33 in the last two losses.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2021, 09:04:05 PM »
One issue we have had with the exception of the Rowsey/Howard season (and they're sub 6 footers) is we have not had good ball handlers on our rosters.  I'm not talking about literally being able to dribble, but more multiple guys that can make consistent plays off the bounce. 

You could also argue that we really haven't had a true playmaker.  Rowsey had his moments, and DJ is capable, but when players 2,3, 4, 5 cannot pass off the dribble it makes things tough.  Poor roster construction even if you make the argument we have recruited well at times.

franklinjerry

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2021, 09:29:37 AM »
Wojo's recruiting stance on a point guard is odd, based on his own college career. The only true PG I believe we've had in this era is Traci Carter who saw Marcus in his path? Not Cheatham, not Duane Wilson, not Andrew, not Marcus, not Koby and I believe DJ is more of a 2 than a 1.
I realize the historical days of running a half court offense through your PG is history but with our struggles?????

McLintock

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2021, 09:39:50 AM »
Wojo's recruiting stance on a point guard is odd, based on his own college career. The only true PG I believe we've had in this era is Traci Carter who saw Marcus in his path? Not Cheatham, not Duane Wilson, not Andrew, not Marcus, not Koby and I believe DJ is more of a 2 than a 1.
I realize the historical days of running a half court offense through your PG is history but with our struggles?????

It only seems like we’ve never had a true pg because there isn’t actually an offense to run. As noted above the top recruiting need is a head coach. Someone that can form a group of players into more than the sum of its parts. Or at least the sum of its parts.

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2021, 09:43:20 AM »
Of course there is an offense to run.  Good lord please at least make your criticisms accurate ones.

Carton is a decent PG now.  He will be better as he gains more experience.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2021, 09:54:53 AM »
Carton definitely is a major-college PG and he has pro potential. He's not small, he's got a burst, he's got way-above-average athletic ability, he can break down his man to create for himself and others, he can finish around the hoop, he has the ability to hit 3s, he can play D when he focuses.

That's why he has been a starting PG in the Big Ten and Big East, and why he is on some draft boards.

He needs to improve his handle and his decision-making.

DJ is our most important player, obviously, and our best player by a pretty wide margin IMHO. Would love to see him come back under a better coaching staff, yes, but would just love to see him come back period. Selfishly, it would help our team, yes, but I also think it would improve his NBA chances.

McLintock

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2021, 11:03:04 AM »
Of course there is an offense to run.  Good lord please at least make your criticisms accurate ones.

Carton is a decent PG now.  He will be better as he gains more experience.

Agree to disagree.  If MU had a set offense it ran year after year it would have players that learned their roles in that offense, developed their skills to fit that role and then/therefore wouldn't turn the ball over so much year after year after year.  Unless you think MU just has poor players or players that aren't interested in improving themselves.  I don't believe that.  Wojo is just making it up as he goes along - there is nothing that MU has hung its hat on under Wojo on either end of the court.  Too much of the offense is based on freelance and MU doesn't have good enough players to run it or good enough coaching to execute it - take your pick.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2021, 11:06:56 AM »
DJ does a lot of good but he has no jump shot yet, basically shoots a set shot so for him it is hard get his shot off in the lane or stop on a dime. Until he learns that hard to think he is a pro. Secondly, if Elliott is your 2 guard next year that would be a problem, to soft a player.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2021, 12:19:59 PM »
Agree to disagree.  If MU had a set offense it ran year after year it would have players that learned their roles in that offense, developed their skills to fit that role and then/therefore wouldn't turn the ball over so much year after year after year.  Unless you think MU just has poor players or players that aren't interested in improving themselves.  I don't believe that.  Wojo is just making it up as he goes along - there is nothing that MU has hung its hat on under Wojo on either end of the court.  Too much of the offense is based on freelance and MU doesn't have good enough players to run it or good enough coaching to execute it - take your pick.

This is preposterous. You don't string together top-50 offenses by making it up as you go along. Wojo has plenty of failings, but he's done pretty well offensively.

McLintock

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2021, 01:14:56 PM »
This is preposterous. You don't string together top-50 offenses by making it up as you go along. Wojo has plenty of failings, but he's done pretty well offensively.

Give the ball to Howard and get out of the way covers up a lot of warts.  I’ll credit extremely gifted offensive players such as Howard and Rowsey for any offensive efficiency there used to be given we now see what the offense looks like with them gone. One thing that remains with them gone is the poor defense, so hopefully we can agree this staff is unable to get a team to play consistent defense.

muspc2

• Walk-On
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2021, 01:47:22 PM »
I don't want to denigrate our present players, who hopefully give their all, but the team as a whole is simply not as good as MU fans would expect. Taking all his years as coach, WOJO simply has not proven himself a good enough recruiter to overcome his coaching shortcomings. Even 4* and 5* high school players deserve to be taught offensive and defensive basics. It would seem that for various real world reasons WOJO will be the coach next year. If WOJO somehow keeps the talented players on the team from transferring, and the promising class coming in shows up, he might have the talent to begin trying to out-talent opponents. He will still have to fill in with transfers who can compliment the young players. Then, maybe MU will show signs of being successful enough to have new talent finding MU attractive enough to be more than a "final five" in recruiting (with that having been based upon the assistants' personalities and persistence rather than the overall future of the team). It seems that all of this is necessary for a WOJO team to show any upper trajectory to indicate that he will have any higher success than he has had so far.

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2021, 01:52:38 PM »
Give the ball to Howard and get out of the way covers up a lot of warts.  I’ll credit extremely gifted offensive players such as Howard and Rowsey for any offensive efficiency there used to be given we now see what the offense looks like with them gone. One thing that remains with them gone is the poor defense, so hopefully we can agree this staff is unable to get a team to play consistent defense.

You really don't understand what you are talking about.

McLintock

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2021, 02:46:27 PM »

You really don't understand what you are talking about.

Facts:

MU average Kenpom adjusted offense (defense):
2008 to 2014: 33 (44)
2015 to 2021: 57 (101)

Average MU adjusted offensive without Howard under Wojo is 110. Wojo is a nice guy and seems to be a competent recruiter but the results don’t lie.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2021, 09:51:07 PM »
Wojos offense...give it to Ellenson. Give it to Rowsey and Howard. Give it to Howard, maybe a Hauser. Give it to Howard. That’s it. Now? Garbage.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2021, 10:27:44 PM »
Wojos offense...give it to Ellenson. Give it to Rowsey and Howard. Give it to Howard, maybe a Hauser. Give it to Howard. That’s it. Now? Garbage.

Maybe you could get away with that in a low-major conference, but not in the Big East. Not against high-major defenses. Not against other competent coaches. Yes, the first two years were bad, but since then, his conference ranks are 2/3/2/2/4.

Wojo is fine at coaching offense. It's the defense and turnover disparities that kill us. And the idea that he's just rolling the ball out...sorry, but that's a complete misunderstanding of high-major basketball. Marquette's talent hasn't been good enough to just roll the ball out and get the results Wojo has gotten against the schedule he faces. Maybe if we were in the MVC or Horizon, but not in this league.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2021, 08:36:26 AM »
There is some place between roll the ball out there and super genius.
All folks are saying is that Wojo is nothing special when it comes to coaching offense. We don’t even have an inbounds play other than throw it the length of the court and hope we get to it first.

The world’s not black and white.

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2021, 09:01:26 AM »
Maybe you could get away with that in a low-major conference, but not in the Big East. Not against high-major defenses. Not against other competent coaches. Yes, the first two years were bad, but since then, his conference ranks are 2/3/2/2/4.

Wojo is fine at coaching offense. It's the defense and turnover disparities that kill us. And the idea that he's just rolling the ball out...sorry, but that's a complete misunderstanding of high-major basketball. Marquette's talent hasn't been good enough to just roll the ball out and get the results Wojo has gotten against the schedule he faces. Maybe if we were in the MVC or Horizon, but not in this league.

Yep, yep.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2021, 09:40:34 AM »
All folks are saying is that Wojo is nothing special when it comes to coaching offense. We don’t even have an inbounds play other than throw it the length of the court and hope we get to it first.

Wojo has benefited from recruiting players with outsized offensive ability such as Rowsey, Hauser, and Howard. I would not dispute that his offenses have likely been aided simply by good offensive recruiting. However even good players need direction and game-planning to succeed in a league like the Big East. I also think he has benefited from the assistants he hired. Nelson seemed to be excellent at coaching up shooters while Stan seems to have had acumen for planning inbounds plays.

Perhaps it will all fall apart with the departures of Markus and Stan, but this year we're still top-4 in the league and a respectable (not great) #64 nationally with the top-3 in terms of percent of shots taken being newcomers.

Agreed that it's not black and white, but I think it's fair to say that his defensive deficiencies are far more glaring than the offensive ones. If he could routinely put out a top half of the league and top-40 nationally defense, we'd feel vastly different about him as a coach.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2021, 10:52:09 AM »
I can think of two inbounds plays off the top of my head, not counting the lucky toss to Sam v Creighton.   Sometimes, the players actually have to run them.

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2021, 10:53:13 AM »
I can think of two inbounds plays off the top of my head, not counting the lucky toss to Sam v Creighton.   Sometimes, the players actually have to run them.

Yeah Wojo really screwed up that inbounds play at Creighton.  Markus shouldn't have been inbounding it.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2021, 11:08:13 AM »

Yeah Wojo really screwed up that inbounds play at Creighton.  Markus shouldn't have been inbounding it.

Ners, is that you?  ;D

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2021, 12:26:26 PM »
We really need a knockdown shooter. 

McLintock

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2021, 01:51:13 PM »

Yep, yep.

Fact:

Marquette is 8th in adjusted offense in the BIG East this year not 4th.

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2021, 01:54:20 PM »
Fact:

Cool.

Usually offense hasn’t been a problem with Wojo.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2021, 02:17:32 PM »

Not gonna defend Wojo's overall coaching because it hasn't been good enough, but until this season we have run a lot of really good BOOB plays. I think some borderline-Jos even complimented him on it. And even this season, like tower said, I can remember some that worked for a lay-in, including one to Cain the game before last.

So while I will agree that our BOOB plays haven't been as effective this season as in the past, I don't think it's necessary to use hyperbole to criticize Wojo. Lots of stuff to choose from.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2021, 02:37:11 PM »
We really need a knockdown shooter.
We need a lot, most importantly a new coach.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2021, 02:38:54 PM »
We need a lot, most importantly a new coach.

I have no retort willie....it's been a tough 7 yrs.

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2021, 08:38:16 PM »
Players who can dribble, inbound, shoot and pass #Easy
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2021, 09:24:11 PM »
Fact:

No they aren't. They are 4th. Go to their kenpom page, click the "conference only" button, or go to the Big East league page.