collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What? Cap'n Crunch isn't good for you???  (Read 6446 times)

GGGG

• All American
What? Cap'n Crunch isn't good for you???
« on: July 16, 2010, 02:49:39 PM »
http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/strange/offbeat_dpgo_Judge_tosses_Crunchberry_lawsuit_fc_20090608_2498223

"A woman lost her case against the makers of Cap'n Crunch with Crunchberries. Janine Sugawara claimed she was deceived by the cereal’s marketing and packaging. She claimed she had been eating the cereal for four years under the assumption that the Crunchberries were in fact real berries.

A California judge dismissed the complaint stating there's no such fruit as a Crunchberry and that the box clearly depicts them as round, crunchy, brightly-colored cereal balls."

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: What? Cap'n Crunch isn't good for you???
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 03:51:39 PM »
Great last name.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 06:06:09 PM »
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

Coach Norman Dale

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 06:11:01 PM »
This got me thinking -- I have never seen a grape in my Grape Nuts cereal.  That is outrageous! 

I am going to be rich very soon, but first I must decide whether to call that law firm in California or Kramer's attorney, Jackie Chiles.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 07:39:49 PM »
Hey Coach,
Jerry Seinfeld called, he wants his joke back.

"What's the deal with Grape Nuts, no grapes, no nuts, WHAT'S THE DEAL?!!?"

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 08:49:48 PM »
i thought it was jackie childs.

"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 09:29:18 PM »
i thought it was jackie childs.

Nope, it is Chiles.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 09:38:20 PM »
Nuf said.  :D

Coming to a nation near you

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/69436

So glad the gubment is looking out for me.

Rollout-the-Barrel

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 09:31:09 PM »
I can understand the BMI clause as obesity and diabetes are going to  be health issues for a large portion, if not majority, of americans in the future.   As a healthcare provider, electronic health care records cannot come soon enough.
"We have the blues on the run!"

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 09:44:27 PM »
I can understand the BMI clause as obesity and diabetes are going to  be health issues for a large portion, if not majority, of americans in the future.   As a healthcare provider, electronic health care records cannot come soon enough.

I agree completely. Check out this company, they are a leader in electronic health records.

http://medefile.com/
BEARS STILL SUCK

Hey Vikings, I like what you've done with the basement.

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 09:53:30 PM »

I agree that we need electronic health care records, of course, just wait until those get leaked on major celebrities, politicians, etc.....and you can absolutely guarantee that it will.

I just don't need Sammy to tell me what to eat, how much exercise I should get, etc.  He's got his fist up my ass already, I don't need the other one there, too.

Rollout-the-Barrel

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 10:51:38 PM »
I think celebrity info already does get linked, but nevertheless it is a HIPAA violation if it's on electronic records or paper.  If that's the cost of John Doe's health history being available to pertinent healthcare providers to provide better quality of life, I'm willing to allow the occasional leak of health info of a celebrity or politician for the greater good.
Uncle Sam shouldn't tell you what to do, but people who do take care of themselves should be able to market that to receive better rates indivudually or as a group.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 11:14:57 PM »
The problem I have with it is the privacy aspect of it.  They need to make it a very serious crime if one's personal health records are leaked out....I'm talking serious, serious time in prison.

I"m all for modernization and the benefits, it needs to be done.  But it must be done in a way that the ends don't justify the means and we simply accept that some, private health matters get out.  That cannot be tolerated.  They have to make someone think more than twice about letting that information out and what the risk is if they do.

We've had the issue here locally from a couple of hospitals, including UCLA, as it relates to celebrities.

Rollout-the-Barrel

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 10:36:47 AM »
I agree.  You'll never be able to completely protect privacy but punishment for breaking hippa  should be severe when it comes to medical records.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 07:33:49 PM »
We've had the issue here locally from a couple of hospitals, including UCLA, as it relates to celebrities.

I'll tell you right now where the celebrity leaks come, and it's not from electronic records.

It's not from Doctors.

It's not from Nurses.

It's not from the Receptionist.

It IS from EMTs.  They don't get paid enough (many times minimum wage), and aren't generally educated enough to understand what the law requires of them in terms of privacy.  The others on the list are playing a high stakes game with a good paying job if they're caught leaking info.  EMTs?  They can go to McD's and make the same amount if they get fired.

But anyhow, OT.  Good thing Lucky Charms really ARE lucky!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 07:39:16 PM »
I'll tell you right now where the celebrity leaks come, and it's not from electronic records.

It's not from Doctors.

It's not from Nurses.

It's not from the Receptionist.

It IS from EMTs.  They don't get paid enough (many times minimum wage), and aren't generally educated enough to understand what the law requires of them in terms of privacy.  The others on the list are playing a high stakes game with a good paying job if they're caught leaking info.  EMTs?  They can go to McD's and make the same amount if they get fired.

But anyhow, OT.  Good thing Lucky Charms really ARE lucky!

Maybe, but that's not what happened here.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/08/05/celebrity-medical-records_n_116968.html

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/06/michael-jacksons-medical-records-at-ucla-were-improperly-accessed-source-says.html

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2010, 12:58:32 AM »
Maybe, but that's not what happened here.

Chicos....you know how sometimes there are people in the know, and people that don't know crap?  Well, in this case you're closer to the latter category.

'nuff said.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2010, 11:00:53 AM »
It IS from EMTs.  They don't get paid enough (many times minimum wage), and aren't generally educated enough to understand what the law requires of them in terms of privacy. 

Please.  If they can't understand something that basic, I don't want them responding to any emergency I'm involved in.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2010, 11:19:13 AM »
What about berry kix? No berries?
What about Trix? No grapes? No limes? No Watermelon? No Banana?
Shocking

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2010, 11:27:22 AM »
What about berry kix? No berries?

That is probably why they pulled it off the shelves.

Cinnamon toast crunch, no toast.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2010, 11:30:20 AM »
Cinnamon toast crunch, no toast.

But lots of crunch!  And cinnamon!  I love that stuff.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2010, 02:54:53 PM »
Chicos....you know how sometimes there are people in the know, and people that don't know crap?  Well, in this case you're closer to the latter category.

'nuff said.

Rocky, uhm so the articles to implicate non-EMTs in this particular case, which is the one I was talking about, is wrong? Please explain.  Thanks

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2010, 03:55:21 PM »
Please.  If they can't understand something that basic, I don't want them responding to any emergency I'm involved in.

You'd be shocked, pray you get a paramedic on board, but that's not usually the case.

Rocky, uhm so the articles to implicate non-EMTs in this particular case, which is the one I was talking about, is wrong? Please explain.  Thanks

Your article did show that records were accessed, and I assume some sold.

Also, from the MJ acticle...
“There wasn’t anything they saw that was worth selling,” Tate said. “We have systems in place that put up barriers. You’re not authorized to look at certain things. You can only go so far.”

So, for your one example, I will agree that was not an EMT.  However, I know that for every leak by a hospital, there are probably 10 by EMTs.  How about the NYC kid who posted a murder victims picture on facebook?  If I had a nickle for every inappropriate picture EMTs take when they get to the scene...

Or this case!
http://www.floridacriminalattorneysblog.com/2010/05/florida-couple-charged-with-st.html

Anyhow, how about that cereal...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2010, 04:11:17 PM »
Right, so when I said "maybe, but that's not what happened  here", wasn't I acknowledging to you that EMTs might be the source of the leaks ("maybe"), but not on the UCLA story I was talking about?

:-\

I'm sure EMTs flap their gums considerably.  I happen to have one in the family.  The thing is, they are only first response and are with the patient for typically less than an hour.  No question a lot of info comes in that first hour (pill bottles around the body, gun in hand, etc, etc) but a lot of info comes in the days or weeks while someone is in the hospital.  More data relevant to what is going on, tests, drugs being provided, etc. 

I'm just hopeful when they go to this massive sharing network, which is definitely needed and should help considerably, the pols don't forget the laws of unintended consequences and put heavy penalties to address the mischief that could happen by those wishing to do harm to people, politicians, business leaders, etc.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2010, 07:18:48 PM »
I deal with HIPPA everday and people who break this law should be dealt with harshly. Although private records are SUPPOSED to be held private and people strive to hold them inviolate, we see where sealed records like school transcripts or medical records are released without a person's consent. These  actions now are handled in a very uneven manner.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2010, 07:28:38 PM »
I deal with HIPPA everday and people who break this law should be dealt with harshly. Although private records are SUPPOSED to be held private and people strive to hold them inviolate, we see where sealed records like school transcripts or medical records are released without a person's consent. These  actions now are handled in a very uneven manner.

Amen!