[May 06, 2024, 10:32:52 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[May 06, 2024, 05:19:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Jordan awarded Illini scholarship  (Read 6443 times)

Pardner

Jordan awarded Illini scholarship
« on: January 22, 2009, 10:13:20 PM »
Jordan awarded Illini scholarship  Pardner:  Is this a wasted opportunity for another scholly ala Rivers at IU considering daddy's $$?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. -- Jeff Jordan is beginning to prove that basketball ability really does run in the family.

Michael Jordan's son walked on at Illinois last year, but coach Bruce Weber said Thursday that the sophomore guard has earned a scholarship.

Jordan is averaging almost 10 minutes a game off the bench for Illinois (16-3), which is enjoying a remarkable turnaround after going 16-19 last season. Jordan is averaging just over a point a game, but has become a key contributor on defense.

Jordan turned down a scholarship offer from Valparaiso to walk on with the Illini (T-24 ESPN/USA Today, No. 25 AP). He played about 5 minutes per game as a freshman.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3852972

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
Re: Jordan awarded Illini scholarship
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 02:34:33 PM »
MJ should have done what Bill Laimbeer's father did......have his son turn down the scholarship (for a kid who really needs it) and pay the tuition himself.

only a warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 07:42:10 AM »
+1... he's taking up space

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 12:11:39 PM »
Did you guys ever think think that maybe it meant something to Jeffery Jordan to actually be awarded a scholarship?  This is one thing the kid can claim that he earned.  That may mean a lot to a kid growing up in the shadow of a legend.

(unless he got it to placate his younger better brother)
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 12:33:38 PM »
If it means so much to him then he can certainly turn it down and look even better and really accomplish something by giving back to one of his teamates who really needs it.

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 11:35:27 PM »
If it means so much to him then he can certainly turn it down and look even better and really accomplish something by giving back to one of his teamates who really needs it.

Don't judge -- how do you know how that family does their finances?  Maybe Jeff has to share some of his college tuition burden.  Besides, don't you think MJ might contribute to UIUC somewhere down the road anyway?  Don't get on this poor kid's case, he didn't put a gun to the scholarship big shots to make them do this for him.

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 10:47:48 AM »
You have to be kidding me with that post.....Do you actually believe that?

Jeff Jordan's father is worth a supposed 408 million and you're trying to make him out to be a kid who's helping to pay for his tuition? please.....and its not an issue of MJ contributing something to the university, its about his son taking a scholarship that he has no need for, and someone else might have an extreme need.

Jeff Jordan does not need a scholarship to acknowledge his hard work and commitment to the program, he'll get that with playing time and maybe putting up some numbers. 

The RESPONSIBLE thing to do would be to pay the tuition and give the scholarship to a more needy individual; possibly making the team even better. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 11:01:43 AM »
You have to be kidding me with that post.....Do you actually believe that?

Jeff Jordan's father is worth a supposed 408 million and you're trying to make him out to be a kid who's helping to pay for his tuition? please.....and its not an issue of MJ contributing something to the university, its about his son taking a scholarship that he has no need for, and someone else might have an extreme need.

Jeff Jordan does not need a scholarship to acknowledge his hard work and commitment to the program, he'll get that with playing time and maybe putting up some numbers. 

The RESPONSIBLE thing to do would be to pay the tuition and give the scholarship to a more needy individual; possibly making the team even better. 

Isn't it the teams fault for even offering it then?

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 04:16:21 PM »
Isn't it the teams fault for even offering it then?

Yeah, no kidding.  Why don't you go shoot your mouth off at Bruce Weber.

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 05:56:58 PM »
Touche', although while Weber is at fault for offering it; it still would have been a classy move by the Jordan's to tell him that while they appreciated the gesture of the offering they thought it ultimately should go to a more worthy party....

Wouldn't you get on bill gates' kid for accepting an academic scholarship, when its obvious he has the means to pay the tuition and let a more needy kid get the scholarship?

Please tell me you finally see the logic here

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 10:17:23 PM »
Touche', although while Weber is at fault for offering it; it still would have been a classy move by the Jordan's to tell him that while they appreciated the gesture of the offering they thought it ultimately should go to a more worthy party....

Wouldn't you get on bill gates' kid for accepting an academic scholarship, when its obvious he has the means to pay the tuition and let a more needy kid get the scholarship?

Of COURSE!!!

because I am a Mac :D

Cain, all i am saying is not to judge, i know they're filthy rich and maybe they didn't take the high road, but it wouldn't be the first time and it won't be the last and FRANKLY i am way more pissed that i am not a giant corporation that mismanaged its money and went bankrupt and was bailed out, etc., etc., etc.

But yeah, kinda lame. **shrug**

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 06:30:06 AM »

I know where you are coming from,and yes, that would have been a cool thing to do. However, the kid earned it, and I can't begrudge him for taking it.

If Bill Gates' kid earns a scolarship, then good for him too. Just because their dad's are rich doesn't mean that they can't/shouldn't be earning scholarships and ultimately paychecks on their own.

I mean, where does it end? If Jeff gets a job in the real world, should he turn down his paycheck so other people in his company can have that money? Should he turn down every raise because his dad is rich? Hell, should Michael give up 1/2 of his money because there is no way he can spend it all?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 08:34:02 AM »
It would be unreasonable to deny him a scholarship or (down the road) a reduced salary because his dad is loaded. He earned it, so it is offered. However, it is kind of ridiculous to accept something (even if you deserve it) that is so unneeded.

When you look at the relative cost to the Jordan family compared to the possible benefit of another kid who is equally deserving, how do you not give it back?

Don't make it about trying to step out of Dad's shadow. Jeff was offered the scholarship and everyone knows it. He achieved it on his own..kudos...but that doesn't mean he has to take it.

Let's not forget, he's an Illinois resident as well (as if that even matters). 4 years at U of I is not a sacrifice for the Jordan family.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 08:38:13 AM by ReneeRowarrior »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 08:37:31 AM »
x

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 09:23:10 AM »

I guess it's ok to say something like "it would have been cool if he had turned it down"... I get that.

I just don't get the self righteous idea that Jeff is irresponsible for accepting the scholarship.

I mean, where does it end? Is he allowed to accept a birthday gift from somebody outside his family, or is that irresponsible?

It's just a slippery slope when you start judging people for accepting something they earned/deserved.  (a birthday isn't exactly earned, but you get the idea).

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 11:41:05 AM »
I guess it's ok to say something like "it would have been cool if he had turned it down"... I get that.

I just don't get the self righteous idea that Jeff is irresponsible for accepting the scholarship.

I mean, where does it end? Is he allowed to accept a birthday gift from somebody outside his family, or is that irresponsible?

It's just a slippery slope when you start judging people for accepting something they earned/deserved.  (a birthday isn't exactly earned, but you get the idea).

I see your argument. The difference between a birthday gift and a college scholarship is that there are a limited number of scholarships available to the team (not true with birthday gifts) and that in order to get that scholarship it deprives a gifted athlete who may not be able to afford tuition the opportunity to play basketball there. It also hurts the team because that means one less person with scholarship-ability talent is on the team. That's all I'm saying. My Jesuit education has me thinking for the "greater good," I suppose.

And even disregarding the help it could give another athlete, think of the benefit for the team. Can you imagine if MU had another Jimmy Butler on the bench instead of Frozena (no offense to him) without giving up a scholarship?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 11:49:36 AM by ReneeRowarrior »

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 11:52:31 AM »
You have derailed.......

This has nothing to do with Jeff Jordan's future career, or rationalizing how he should get less of anything(i.e. pay, salary, compensation).  Let's not confuse the issues into a self serving argument. This is singularly about his decision to accept a scholarship that would be better served being used by someone with a greater financial need.  

Its not a slippery slope and just because you earn or deserve something should not absolve you from doing the right thing.

I'm not the only one who feel this way....

http://ncaabasketball.fanhouse.com/2009/01/23/michael-jordans-son-earns-basketball-scholarship-at-illinois/

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 02:57:01 PM »
You have derailed.......

This has nothing to do with Jeff Jordan's future career, or rationalizing how he should get less of anything(i.e. pay, salary, compensation).  Let's not confuse the issues into a self serving argument. This is singularly about his decision to accept a scholarship that would be better served being used by someone with a greater financial need.  

Its not a slippery slope and just because you earn or deserve something should not absolve you from doing the right thing.

I'm not the only one who feel this way....

http://ncaabasketball.fanhouse.com/2009/01/23/michael-jordans-son-earns-basketball-scholarship-at-illinois/

Again, I can see WHY people would LIKE him to decline the offer.

It makes the team better, it gives another kid a chance to play at UofI.

I get it. I agree that it would be a nice thing to do.

I just don't get why you are blasting him and claiming it's irresponsible of him to accept it or that it's not the "right thing" to do. He earned it in his coaches eyes. Simple as that.

If a fictitious kid is good enough to earn a scholly at UofI, he can certainly go to another school on scholarship, so I don't think it's really that much of a hardship for the kid who didn't get a scholarship because of Jeff Jordan.

As far as the slippery slope, I really think it is. If you can blast the kid for accepting what he earned, where does it stop? Are you going to chase every rich kid in the country and tell them that they should turn down their scholarship?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 04:31:10 PM »
You have derailed.......

This makes no sense to me.  How is accepting something that you earned not "the right thing?"  I make a nice salary.  I certainly could survive with less.  Should I give part of my salary up to the guy who cleans my office who (hypothetically) has trouble paying his mortgage?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 07:37:19 PM »

This makes no sense to me.  How is accepting something that you earned not "the right thing?"  I make a nice salary.  I certainly could survive with less.  Should I give part of my salary up to the guy who cleans my office who (hypothetically) has trouble paying his mortgage?

That is not a fair analogy. A scholarship is different from the salary you make. There are a SET NUMBER of scholarships available to the team. Your salary can increase (especially with increased profit for your company) without necessarily taking anything from another employee or the company's ability to succeed. Taking an unneeded scholarship when there are only so many is detrimental to the team.

Am I the only one who took logic at MU?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 09:36:17 PM »
That is not a fair analogy. A scholarship is different from the salary you make. There are a SET NUMBER of scholarships available to the team. Your salary can increase (especially with increased profit for your company) without necessarily taking anything from another employee or the company's ability to succeed. Taking an unneeded scholarship when there are only so many is detrimental to the team.

I see where you are coming from, but it's not exactly right. Every small company realistically has an allocation for salaries or bodies (every "body" = a salary).

If Jeff Jordan was hired by a company, but didn't command a salary, they could afford to add another person (just like a basketball team).

Right?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2009, 08:03:45 AM »

The coach runs the team.  The coach should know what is in the best interests of the team.  The coach offered JJ the scholarship.

I really hope that your MU profs did a better job of teaching than you just showed.

IlliniMarq

• Walk-On
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2009, 08:32:19 AM »
You guys really don't understand the whole situation.  The scholarship isn't for the rest of Jeffery's time at UI.  There happened to be an opening for next semester, and Bruce thought Jordan deserved the spot.  It doesn't mean he will use up the scholarship till he graduates.

Jordan is really improving and will help the Illini in the next few years.  This is all about rewarding a kid who has worked for it.  Not only that, but non-scholarship players don't get all the benefits of scholarship players (such as certain meals, etc.)-and Jordan deserves that.  This is a good move by Weber. 

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2009, 11:11:20 AM »
You guys really don't understand the whole situation.  The scholarship isn't for the rest of Jeffery's time at UI.  There happened to be an opening for next semester, and Bruce thought Jordan deserved the spot.  It doesn't mean he will use up the scholarship till he graduates.

Ok, I agree with that...completely different situation.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2009, 11:13:47 AM »

The coach runs the team.  The coach should know what is in the best interests of the team.  The coach offered JJ the scholarship.

I really hope that your MU profs did a better job of teaching than you just showed.

Laughable logic...just because the head coach does something, its in the best interest of the team? So Tan Tommy never did something that went against the team's best interests? Coaches are not infallible. I'll admit Weber knows better than I do, but that doesn't mean he can't make a mistake.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2009, 11:20:48 AM »
Laughable logic...just because the head coach does something, its in the best interest of the team? So Tan Tommy never did something that went against the team's best interests? Coaches are not infallible. I'll admit Weber knows better than I do, but that doesn't mean he can't make a mistake.

The coach is in the best position to determine what is in the best interests of the team.  He knows more than anyone else, including yourself, and including JJ.  That doesn't make him infallible, but it puts him in a better position than anyone else.

So apparently what you want JJ to say is "Coach, thank you for the offer, but I will turn you down because I know more about what is in the best interests of the team than you do."

IlliniMarq

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2009, 02:34:05 PM »
Interesting article link about JJ and his skills.

http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=8209

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2009, 02:07:00 PM »
Interesting article link about JJ and his skills.

http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=8209

I'm quite sure that if Coach Weber needed the scholarship, he would approach the Jordan family, explain the situation (I have a kid with financial need who could really help the team) and the Jordans would pay for Jeffery to attend U of I.

Coach Weber is rewarding him for hard work and improvement.  If there were a more talented player who deserved the scholarship, they'd have it.  Coaches don't have time for undeserved benevolence. 

I am really tired of people trying to run the world.  Why don't you all become journalists or politicians to really help the world.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 02:12:49 PM by mu-rara »

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2009, 11:56:06 PM »
I'm quite sure that if Coach Weber needed the scholarship, he would approach the Jordan family, explain the situation (I have a kid with financial need who could really help the team) and the Jordans would pay for Jeffery to attend U of I.

Coach Weber is rewarding him for hard work and improvement.  If there were a more talented player who deserved the scholarship, they'd have it.  Coaches don't have time for undeserved benevolence. 

I am really tired of people trying to run the world.  Why don't you all become journalists or politicians to really help the world.

No Kidding.