'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: UCLA  (Read 50448 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: UCLA
« Reply #300 on: April 07, 2019, 08:20:59 AM »
Is she a Mo?

I think, just as Wojo would not want to follow a legend at Duke so, too, would he be loathe to coach anywhere in Utah where Stew Morrill reigned for so many decades

;D

tower912

• All American
« Reply #301 on: April 07, 2019, 09:10:57 AM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #302 on: April 07, 2019, 09:30:53 AM »

And now UCLA will shoot for the level of coach they can get and still convince fans it’s a good hire - Wojo.

This is fine if it does not take the next coach 5 years to rebuild. 

Quote from: tower912 lv. ink=topic=57899.msg1119919#msg1119919 date=1554646257
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/ucla-cant-hire-any-basketball-coach-it-wants-but-try-convincing-ucla-of-that/2019/04/05/8791dae8-57d1-11e9-814f-e2f46684196e_story.html?utm_term=.6600a32bbd62

Some good things to ponder here.    Like how fanbases always overestimate who they can get as a replacement.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #303 on: April 07, 2019, 09:46:36 AM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/ucla-cant-hire-any-basketball-coach-it-wants-but-try-convincing-ucla-of-that/2019/04/05/8791dae8-57d1-11e9-814f-e2f46684196e_story.html?utm_term=.6600a32bbd62

Some good things to ponder here.    Like how fanbases always overestimate who they can get as a replacement.   

And that entitled attitude is why established coaches have no need for that job. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
« Reply #304 on: April 07, 2019, 09:57:54 AM »
Crash

Is it confirmed that Coach Peters is moving on?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #305 on: April 07, 2019, 10:18:36 AM »

This paragraph sure rings familiar around here. Just replace a few names and years.

Wooden hasn’t coached since 1975. He died in 2010. Yet UCLA people still invoke his name constantly as if he will walk through the door any minute trailed by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Bill Walton.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #306 on: April 07, 2019, 10:32:35 AM »
This paragraph sure rings familiar around here. Just replace a few names and years.

Wooden hasn’t coached since 1975. He died in 2010. Yet UCLA people still invoke his name constantly as if he will walk through the door any minute trailed by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Bill Walton.

Sounds like some of our fans
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #307 on: April 07, 2019, 11:42:04 AM »
Actually all the Al talk comes from the administration. 

Retired 77
Named the court
Al on the jersey
Named the practice facility

Most fans I know just want to get back to constant NCAA success. AKA The Buzz Years. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #308 on: April 07, 2019, 11:52:45 AM »
Is she a Mo?

I think, just as Wojo would not want to follow a legend at Duke so, too, would he be loathe to coach anywhere in Utah where Stew Morrill reigned for so many decades

As Garbo said: You're very talkative.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #309 on: April 07, 2019, 11:53:01 AM »

Retired 77
Named the court
Al on the jersey

Most fans I know just want to get back to constant NCAA success. AKA The Buzz Years.

All the talk?  Come on.  We have memory lane here all the time for Al...which is fine.  Embrace the tradition.

Does Buzz even have a Final Four yet?  What is holding him back?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #310 on: April 07, 2019, 11:54:56 AM »
All the talk?  Come on.  We have memory lane here all the time for Al...which is fine.  Embrace the tradition.

Does Buzz even have a Final Four yet?  What is holding him back?
crapshoot

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #311 on: April 07, 2019, 11:58:27 AM »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #312 on: April 07, 2019, 12:02:09 PM »

Retired 77
Named the court
Al on the jersey

You and I aren't reading the same Scoop if you don't believe Al comes up around here frequently.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #313 on: April 07, 2019, 12:09:42 PM »
You and I aren't reading the same Scoop if you don't believe Al comes up around here frequently.

Yup.....here at MU Scoop we are currently in a message board named after some guy

HANGIN' AT THE AL

🏀

• All American
« Reply #314 on: April 07, 2019, 12:20:31 PM »
Yup.....here at MU Scoop we are currently in a message board named after some guy

HANGIN' AT THE AL

Is it named after the guy or is it named after the building named after the guy we are insinuating is the guy that the board is named after?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #315 on: April 07, 2019, 12:33:57 PM »
The Lens

MU does not miss an Al opportunity. I would prefer less Al from MU, and replace it with more on court success.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #316 on: April 07, 2019, 01:26:06 PM »
The Lens

MU does not miss an Al opportunity. I would prefer less Al from MU, and replace it with more on court success.

Yes. The focus on Al is preventing on court success. We have the opportunity to pick one or the other and the administration chooses having Al’s name on campus over winning basketball games. Sad!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Goose

• All American
« Reply #317 on: April 07, 2019, 01:37:55 PM »
wades

It is time to move on from Al. MU’s biggest ball marketing plan is throwing Al’s name around. It is time to build a new brand and on court success is needed. I would love to see MU really build a new marketing plan and let the current program build off it. MU has milked more out of Al than us old guys on here.

Just curious, do you ever think big picture? Do you think it is time to move from a guy that has not coached in four plus decades?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #318 on: April 07, 2019, 01:44:45 PM »
wades

It is time to move on from Al. MU’s biggest ball marketing plan is throwing Al’s name around. It is time to build a new brand and on court success is needed. I would love to see MU really build a new marketing plan and let the current program build off it. MU has milked more out of Al than us old guys on here.

Just curious, do you ever think big picture? Do you think it is time to move from a guy that has not coached in four plus decades?

I couldn’t care any less about what Marquette names its court, practice facilities, what patches are on their uniforms, etc. Call me crazy, but I don’t think Marquette’s on court performance changes one bit if they have DWade’s name on their jersey instead of Al’s, or the court isn’t named at all, or the practice facility is named Dick Strong Arena. Doesn’t seem to me that Kentucky has had any issues winning basketball games because they’re stuck with their arena named after a racist that coached for them over 50 years ago. To me, those things are not “big picture” items when it comes to winning basketball games. To you they are. Different strokes for different folks.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Goose

• All American
« Reply #319 on: April 07, 2019, 01:50:05 PM »
wades

Correct, Kentucky has had no problem being big time, MU has had a problem. I know you only care about the next game and that is your call. I think celebrating the present might be a bigger help to recruiting and branding the program than having an Al night every season.

As for calling you crazy, I would say small thinking and lacking real life experience in building a brand. I actually think you believe big time program just happens if you work hard and want it badly enough.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #320 on: April 07, 2019, 02:00:23 PM »
Goose:
I think the brand for Marquette was in a good place during the Crean/Buzz era. We produced a lot of future pros who were known for toughness and grit who also had skills . The continuity from Al and his tough gritty  players with skills to the modern guys like Jimmy Wes Jae etc was something that I believe resonated in the market. We have gone a little soft under Wojo, but it does appear that he has realized that is not the way to go, and has been making adjustments to get tougher more physical players. 
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #321 on: April 07, 2019, 02:04:59 PM »
wades

Goose

Marquette's idea of branding expertise is The Zizzo Group.

'Nuff said.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #322 on: April 07, 2019, 02:06:01 PM »
Herman

Buzz was building a brand. He was winning over MKE kids and that is not easy to do. That has all been lost in last five years. MU has to work harder than UW on promoting themselves, and it does start on the court. In addition, creating a program identity off the court is big time important. Just my two cents, but I do believe they use Al as a fallback plan on marketing the program.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #323 on: April 07, 2019, 02:07:49 PM »
Jon

Is she still in charge of branding MU? Have not seen her as much of late. But, I do agree with your post.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #324 on: April 07, 2019, 02:26:10 PM »
Crash

Is it confirmed that Coach Peters is moving on?

According to Jen Lada it is but I have read on Scoop that Jen often makes journalistic mistakes

feedback