[Today at 11:23:04 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 08:37:46 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: UCLA  (Read 49813 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: UCLA
« Reply #250 on: February 18, 2019, 03:38:41 PM »
I doubt the team's ability to measure body fat factors into Wojo's decision.

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #251 on: February 18, 2019, 03:41:10 PM »
Not what his Mom said.

Excellent again.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #252 on: February 18, 2019, 07:59:43 PM »
Off topic (but perhaps more on topic than most of the thread) Arizona has lost 7 straight. When's the last time that happened to the Wildcats? While a coach's record shouldn't matter when investigating potential misconduct....I think now is a helluva time for Miller to turn in his worst season ever. I'm starting to believe the theory that Miller will be gowne by season's end

I was watching the game last night and I think it was Lute Olson's first season. Not quite sure I got that right as I was watching on ESPN Deportes.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #253 on: February 18, 2019, 08:03:54 PM »
The way you phrased it certainly made it sound like you were talking about payments going directly from alums to Wojo.  I am not sure why you grouped alumni donations in with Wojo's compensation in your post.

And my guess is that donations are a lot smaller portion of the budget pie than things like TV money.  And it's doubtful that donations are tied to the coaches salary in any way, even indirectly.

Dick Strong would write a check and drop it off with MUAD for Crean or Buzz. I never knew how Buzz's Bunch was funded.

Boston Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #254 on: February 18, 2019, 08:09:23 PM »
Dick Strong would write a check and drop it off with MUAD for Crean or Buzz. I never knew how Buzz's Bunch was funded.

THIS!

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #255 on: February 19, 2019, 10:01:08 AM »
Not what his Mom said.

So, you're saying, "That's not what she said!"  That's a new variant on an old theme.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #256 on: February 19, 2019, 10:07:00 AM »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

warriorgnp

• Walk-On
« Reply #257 on: February 19, 2019, 10:11:01 AM »
Glad to see the ROI on the Wojo hire is beginning to show for MU.  Just seeing Dick Strong's name makes me queasy all over again about that strained relationship after the Shaka episode.  Often wondered how generally Wojo connects with our most important donors.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #258 on: February 19, 2019, 11:07:38 PM »
Often wondered how generally Wojo connects with our most important donors.

He doesn't. The guy is a politician.

Say what you will but even Crean has more balls when it comes to openness and honesty.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #259 on: February 19, 2019, 11:21:45 PM »

Say what you will but even Crean has more balls when it comes to openness and honesty.

LOL

Watch any candid interaction Wojo has with a player. He's a genuine guy without a schtick.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #260 on: February 19, 2019, 11:38:20 PM »
LOL

Watch any candid interaction Wojo has with a player. He's a genuine guy without a schtick.

But that wasn't the question. It was how does Wojo interact with the donor base.

He likely is a regular dude with the players; I would be shocked if he weren't.

Crean, on the other hand, is genuinely weird with his players. But unlike Wojo Crean is likely more open with donors.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #261 on: February 19, 2019, 11:46:26 PM »
But that wasn't the question. It was how does Wojo interact with the donor base.

Crean, on the other hand, is genuinely weird with his players. But unlike Wojo Crean is likely more open with donors.

That’s Scholl’s job and he is good at it. Wojo has a following because he is sincere. Totally understated but the 100 Year changed impressions. Old news. 

That said, he doesn’t run off money like Larry and Pilarz did.  Joe True is rockin’ it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #262 on: February 20, 2019, 08:39:57 AM »

Curious to hear how you know this about Wojo, Crash.

The few well-heeled alums I know who have interacted with Wojo like him very much. Most of them also have been very pleased with the trajectory of the program.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #263 on: February 20, 2019, 09:28:47 AM »

Have you interacted with him for first hand experience?
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #264 on: February 20, 2019, 10:06:43 AM »

Crean was the biggest politician I've ever seen in donor situations. He was always scanning the room for a more important person he could be talking to. Wojo, in the settings I've seen him in, has been very engaging and personable, not acting like he was more important than anyone, and actually made eye contact with the people he spoke to no matter who they were.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #265 on: February 20, 2019, 10:31:16 AM »
Crean was the biggest politician I've ever seen in donor situations. He was always scanning the room for a more important person he could be talking to. Wojo, in the settings I've seen him in, has been very engaging and personable, not acting like he was more important than anyone, and actually made eye contact with the people he spoke to no matter who they were.

This is largely true of my brief interactions with Wojo, as well as those of others I know who've met and spoken with him at alumni events and the like.
But he's definitely been quick to move on from us regular slobs to those with deeper pockets. As he should be. There's nothing wrong with that. Anyone who doesn't like it should pony up more.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #266 on: February 20, 2019, 10:34:48 AM »
People against the initial hiring of Wojo continue to disparage him for whatever reasons they can find.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #267 on: February 20, 2019, 11:22:15 AM »
That’s Scholl’s job and he is good at it. Wojo has a following because he is sincere. Totally understated but the 100 Year changed impressions. Old news. 

That said, he doesn’t run off money like Larry and Pilarz did.  Joe True is rockin’ it.

Bingo.  Never underestimate the backbone of your program: fundraising.  When you have an effective guy running the money show, it minimizes Wojo et al having to muck around in the sleaze.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #268 on: February 20, 2019, 02:49:48 PM »
If anywon heer nos the reel Wojo, its Ma and Pa. Gotta ax 'em 'cuz dey got da skinny, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #269 on: April 06, 2019, 07:12:49 PM »
No disagreement. As stated multiple times, I like and admire Bennett and think he's a good coach. But the fact remains his teams have vastly underperformed in the tournament. As Chico would say, they've peed down their leg, and they've done it several times.

Because it's hard to get to a Final Four, but Bennett pulled it off.  Good for him.  Sometimes you pee down the leg, and sometimes you make it all the way.  That's why it is such a crazy thing to win.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #270 on: April 06, 2019, 07:16:30 PM »
Crash is right.

I’ll be crucified for this, but fk it. 

Never met a guy who wears a letterman jacket, basketball shorts, and walks around with his own gallon of water.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #271 on: April 06, 2019, 07:22:00 PM »
Because it's hard to get to a Final Four, but Bennett pulled it off.  Good for him.  Sometimes you pee down the leg, and sometimes you make it all the way.  That's why it is such a crazy thing to win.

Good for TB. As previously stated, I'm a fan. But in truth, his team peed down their leg against Purdue and lucked out. Then they peed down their leg again vs Auburn and lucked out again when the zebras missed a double dribble with 2 seconds left.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #272 on: April 06, 2019, 07:22:51 PM »
Good for TB. As previously stated, I'm a fan. But in truth, his team peed down their leg against Purdue and lucked out. Then they peed down their leg again vs Auburn and lucked out again when the zebras missed a double dribble with 2 seconds left.

Yup, sometimes better to be lucky than good....like us vs Davidson....like UVA vs Auburn.  It happens.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #273 on: April 06, 2019, 07:24:29 PM »

I’m not sure they really “peed down their leg” against Purdue. Carson Edwards was pulling up from a step behind NBA 3 point range and burying shots with a hand in his face (and banking one in). Not much any team in the country could’ve done to stop him that night. And they still came away with a win.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #274 on: April 06, 2019, 07:26:42 PM »
Have you interacted with him for first hand experience?
I have, he is a solid guy on a one on one level. Not the stiff, coach speak stuff that is put out for media consumption. That is why I keep saying he is here as long as he wants to be here. Scholl knows how to ring the register with a guy like Wojo as a prop.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire