[Today at 06:46:15 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: UCLA  (Read 49809 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: UCLA
« Reply #175 on: February 16, 2019, 01:37:30 PM »
I know nothing of TV issues but I am told that Hopkins and his family love it here in Seattle.

Our counsel lives next door to Hopkins in Montlake. He said Mike is from Seattle and Trish Hopkins, who is from the west coast, is thrilled to be here and out of the Cuse Snow Zone.

There is always talk about him going back to Cuse but a recent article seems to suggest he is fine in Seattle.

https://www.syracuse.com/expo/sports/g66l-2019/02/94cfee59574493/could-mike-hopkins-return-to-syracuse-as-head-coach-mikes-mailbox.html

Personally, I don't care about Mike Hopkins since he didn't land the MU job. But to suggest he isn't doing a great job in Seattle is silly.

Not sure anyone is suggesting he isn't off to a solid start.  I'll be interested to see how the conference does when it adapts to the zone.  Of course with the conference that bad, it's also hard to gauge how well things are going because teams are beating up on bad teams. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #176 on: February 16, 2019, 01:57:33 PM »
Even more disgusting is not just coming out with the reality of what is also going on, but no one has the balls to say it...well, some do but of course dismissed immediately.  Staring everyone in the face for years.

?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #177 on: February 16, 2019, 03:20:03 PM »
Greg

The most disgusting aspect of the priest scandals is how the hierarchy has been complicit in the crimes. The institution itself has actively engaged in covering up the most heinous of crimes.

The USAF has a code of conduct which every member knows and lives by. Break the faith and you are prosecuted. I cannot imagine the chain of command ever actively covering up breaches of the code.

What is happening in the Roman Church is systemic pedophilia. The unwillingness to address this crime destroys the Church's moral authority - it's akin to KFC not knowing anything about chicken.

I have to point out that in the other Christian faiths, where clergy are married, the sexual abuse of children does not happen. Coincidence? I think not.

hey jonny- i just believe that marriage is too simplistic of an answer to the the perverts tenure of abuses within the catholic church. (read "goodbye good men") the hierarchy absolutely were too complicit and their sins were just as bad.  but why did this even start?  why do people rob banks? correct me if i'm wrong, but i think southern baptists are encouraged to be married.  yet this is just hitting the news-

https://www.washingtonpost.com/religion/2019/02/12/southern-baptists-sexual-abuse-scandal-prompts-calls-criminal-investigations-comparisons-catholics/?utm_term=.e3514c327376

i realize there are exceptions to everything, but here is another example for non-believers to hit us over the head with.  not to mention leadership(used very loosely)allowed this to go on for many years...disgusting.  it's no wonder many are flocking to non-denominationals
don't...don't don't don't don't

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #178 on: February 16, 2019, 04:17:51 PM »
Not sure about the validity of rankings in terms of legitimacy but ESPN has Hopkins' first class with four 4 star recruits and 2019 with a 5 and 2 4's with another 5 signing this spring.

http://www.espn.com/colleges/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/264/class/2019

We can argue about the precision of an imprecise science but the fact is Hopkins is signing some legitimate high major talent.

Rankings are definitely subjective. I was just confused about the numbers you were giving. You said he got a 5 star his first season but ESPN only list 4 stars. Then you said he had 2 5 stars but only has 1. If he lands Jaden McDaniels, who has UW in his top 5 then he would have 2 5 stars.

We'll see on his recruiting ability. Right now he is starting 4 holdovers from the Romar era and 1 player who was signed by Romar.  The 5 active players he signed are averaging a combined 11.1 points per game this season. Landing Isaiah Stewart was a nice feather in his cap but so far is the only major recruiting win for Hopkins and he has yet to play a game in college.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #179 on: February 16, 2019, 04:31:56 PM »
I'm more than willing to give TB credit for preparing and coaching his team admirably in the crapshoot one and done ACC tournament. His success warrants it.

And to be consistent (something you obviously have a problem with) I also give him "credit" for his epic failures in the much more important crapshoot one and done NCAA tournament. The first ever 1 to lose to a 16 (and losing by 20), losing as a 1 to a 10, a 2 to a 7, a 1 to a 4 and losing two "toss ups" (5 vs 4 and 10 vs 7) by 24 and 26 on one side of the ledger. His best win? winning once as a #1 against a #4. If you think that's the record of a guy whose teams were prepared and ready to play their most important games on the biggest stage then you're just hopeless.

Looks like most people here disagree with you, and that's fine by me.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #180 on: February 16, 2019, 04:37:30 PM »
No disagreement. As stated multiple times, I like and admire Bennett and think he's a good coach. But the fact remains his teams have vastly underperformed in the tournament. As Chico would say, they've peed down their leg, and they've done it several times.

Coach K's teams peed down their leg 3 times.....and to give full credit to the saying it came from Buzz Williams.  So please give credit where it is ultimately due.  Buzz said it, so did Jae Crowder by the way.

https://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/marquette-wisconsin-prepare-for-ncaa-tournament-61085676-031212

”Again, it’s all about perspective,” Williams said. ”Are they going to be fired up because we peed down our leg in New York? Or are they going to be timid because we peed down our leg in New York?”

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #181 on: February 16, 2019, 04:39:40 PM »
Looks like most people here disagree with you, and that's fine by me.

When you can't refute the facts make something up - typical Chico.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #182 on: February 16, 2019, 04:41:10 PM »
Coach K's teams peed down their leg 3 times.....and to give full credit to the saying it came from Buzz Williams.  So please give credit where it is ultimately due.  Buzz said it, so did Jae Crowder by the way.

https://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/marquette-wisconsin-prepare-for-ncaa-tournament-61085676-031212

”Again, it’s all about perspective,” Williams said. ”Are they going to be fired up because we peed down our leg in New York? Or are they going to be timid because we peed down our leg in New York?”

Did Buzz and Jae give you the "choking dogs" line too? LOL

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #183 on: February 16, 2019, 04:46:45 PM »

So Coach K's teams have peed down their legs a few times - just like TB's. A minor difference-Coach K has 12 Final Fours and 5 National Championship. TB has zero and zero.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #184 on: February 16, 2019, 04:47:54 PM »
Did Buzz and Jae give you the "choking dogs" line too? LOL

Nope, all mine.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #185 on: February 16, 2019, 04:49:41 PM »
So Coach K's teams have peed down their legs a few times - just like TB's. A minor difference-Coach K has 12 Final Fours and 5 National Championship. TB has zero and zero.

Yup, just goes to show that even the greatest coaches in college hoops can pee down their leg, sometimes often.  It's weird that they just forget how to coach that one day, after a season of great coaching and sometimes decades of great coaching. So strange.  Same for ACC tournaments with TB....able to get guys ready for those, but in only a week's time completely forgets how to coach and not have his team ready.  Ah, yes....logic is so strong with that approach...so very strong.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #186 on: February 16, 2019, 04:50:15 PM »
When you can't refute the facts make something up - typical Chico.

My opinion, I'll stand by it based on people's reactions. You are free to refute it if you wish.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #187 on: February 16, 2019, 06:06:14 PM »
Greg

The most disgusting aspect of the priest scandals is how the hierarchy has been complicit in the crimes. The institution itself has actively engaged in covering up the most heinous of crimes.

The USAF has a code of conduct which every member knows and lives by. Break the faith and you are prosecuted. I cannot imagine the chain of command ever actively covering up breaches of the code.

What is happening in the Roman Church is systemic pedophilia. The unwillingness to address this crime destroys the Church's moral authority - it's akin to KFC not knowing anything about chicken.

I have to point out that in the other Christian faiths, where clergy are married, the sexual abuse of children does not happen. Coincidence? I think not.

I could not agree more with your point about church (utter failure of) leadership. I think, however, that your example of the USAF as a good example of an institution where you cannot imagine the chain of command covering up (not pedophilia, but sexual abuse of a different type) is unfortunate.

All human institutions with inherent (if necessary) power imbalances-even those with stringent codes of conduct which are scrupulously adhered to by the majority-are susceptible to abuse and cover-up.  See, e.g., the USAFA circa 2003 and allegedly circa 2014-16.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #188 on: February 16, 2019, 06:07:28 PM »
Recruiting at Butler would be tough.  Recruiting at Duke, whole different ball game.

Yeah. It's much higher pressure and more difficult. Anything less than the #2 class in the country is a disaster level disappointment.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #189 on: February 16, 2019, 06:16:03 PM »
Yeah. It's much higher pressure and more difficult. Anything less than the #2 class in the country is a disaster level disappointment.

2010 ranked 6th.  2009 ranked 9th.  2008 ranked 23rd.  Yet the still managed to win the title in 2010

More recently, 2013 ranked 7th.  2012 ranked 12th.  But yes, they are often 1 or 2....they recruit themselves.  That level of player picks each year between Kentucky, Duke, UNC and maybe 1 or 2 others. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #190 on: February 16, 2019, 06:19:45 PM »
Yup, just goes to show that even the greatest coaches in college hoops can pee down their leg, sometimes often.  It's weird that they just forget how to coach that one day, after a season of great coaching and sometimes decades of great coaching. So strange.  Same for ACC tournaments with TB....able to get guys ready for those, but in only a week's time completely forgets how to coach and not have his team ready.  Ah, yes....logic is so strong with that approach...so very strong.

Thank you for admitting this.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #191 on: February 16, 2019, 06:48:19 PM »
Thank you for admitting this.

Your sarcasm detector needs some work, teal wasn’t necessary....I thought.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #192 on: February 16, 2019, 06:52:53 PM »
2010 ranked 6th.  2009 ranked 9th.  2008 ranked 23rd.  Yet the still managed to win the title in 2010

More recently, 2013 ranked 7th.  2012 ranked 12th.  But yes, they are often 1 or 2....they recruit themselves.  That level of player picks each year between Kentucky, Duke, UNC and maybe 1 or 2 others.

Amazing how you ignore the last 5 years.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #193 on: February 16, 2019, 06:59:17 PM »
I love when you say things like you know it to be true...cracks me up.  Why qualify your initial statement with "at this point in time" with the next statement of life tenure.  He will have to have NCAA success. 

Defense travels easier than offense...he had success at a previous school...his dad had success...and I think he will have success...but imho flaming out the way he has for the rest of his career would not keep him at UVA for life.
My view comes from knowing people on Virginia athletics board. They are thrilled with the success and the clean way it has come about. They had some bad things happen at that school in the recent past and the administration doesn’t want to take a chance on going backward. Remember UVA has not had big football success and the basketball progress is ,in the greater scheme of things ,a recent event . So they are very much in an extended honeymoon stage with Coach Bennett.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 08:17:42 PM by Herman Cain »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #194 on: February 16, 2019, 07:40:02 PM »
Amazing how you ignore the last 5 years.

How did I ignore them when I said "but yes, they are often 1 or 2"....which includes those other years. 

You don't think Brad Stevens could pull in great recruiting classes? I do.  Plus with his NBA background he can tell that to kids, too.  He knows exactly what it takes to be NBA elite and he'll help them get there.  The pitch writes itself.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #195 on: February 16, 2019, 08:01:04 PM »
Your sarcasm detector needs some work, teal wasn’t necessary....I thought.

MY sarcasm detector? LOL, sometimes you are really thick.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #196 on: February 16, 2019, 08:18:56 PM »
You don't think Brad Stevens could pull in great recruiting classes? I do.  Plus with his NBA background he can tell that to kids, too.  He knows exactly what it takes to be NBA elite and he'll help them get there.  The pitch writes itself.

Never said he couldn't. It's pretty well known that he had no desire to recruit. The idea of leaving arguably the most prestigious job in the NBA for a recruiting lifestyle he already didn't like is just silly talk.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #197 on: February 17, 2019, 09:51:09 AM »
My view comes from knowing people on Virginia athletics board. They are thrilled with the success and the clean way it has come about. They had some bad things happen at that school in the recent past and the administration doesn’t want to take a chance on going backward. Remember UVA has not had big football success and the basketball progress is ,in the greater scheme of things ,a recent event . So they are very much in an extended honeymoon stage with Coach Bennett.

This

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #198 on: February 17, 2019, 09:57:30 AM »
Never said he couldn't. It's pretty well known that he had no desire to recruit. The idea of leaving arguably the most prestigious job in the NBA for a recruiting lifestyle he already didn't like is just silly talk.

Pretty well known?  Can you point to that?

Here’s what he told us in 2015 on the Dan Patrick Show.  11:04 minute market if you wish to watch...no hesitation in his answer.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/gOeKI_tGa9w" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/gOeKI_tGa9w</a>

"You know I liked recruiting and the reason why I liked recruiting is because we cast a pretty small net. We went after guys that would fit our program and would do well in the classroom at Butler and fit our system, and obviously, were really good players. So, that part, you get to know guys. You get to spend time with them. That's where in the NBA, you gotta coach a guy you met 20 minutes ago, tomorrow. You don't know how they tick. They don't know how you do things. When you recruit a kid from 15-16 and he shows up on your campus at 18, they should know you pretty well and know what they're getting themselves into. That makes it a lot more challenging when you're coaching in this league. But it's fun coachiing in the NBA. It's fun coaching in college. I could coach anywhere and have fun."
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 11:49:16 AM by Cheeks »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #199 on: February 17, 2019, 10:07:04 AM »
Greg

Not just the priests, the next big thing to come out...

https://nypost.com/2019/02/16/inside-the-horrifying-unspoken-world-of-sexually-abusive-nuns/

feedback