[Today at 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[Today at 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 12:46:07 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: UCLA  (Read 49821 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: UCLA
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 02:04:44 PM »
Great to have our coach's name mentioned again!  Means we are doing well!

Other names being considered at UCLA include former Chicago Bulls and Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg, Cincinnati coach Mick Cronin, Texas Tech coach Chris Beard, Marquette coach Steve Wojciechowski and Houston’s Kelvin Sampson, sources said.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 02:06:55 PM »
https://www.zagsblog.com/2019/02/14/source-ucla-going-hard-after-tony-bennett-and-he-has-not-said-no-yet/

3/4 of the way through Wojo's first good season and it begins...

UCLA is not a great job anymore, and I don't think Wojo is a good fit out there. Heck, Stan Johnson might be a better fit given his recruiting ties to the west.

In any case, these reports are only indicative of 1 thing. MU is BACK.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 02:13:25 PM »

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 02:13:44 PM »
I could be ignorant, but I think Wojo is serious about building something sustianable and long term here, ala Jay Wright at Nova.  I don't see him leaving unless Duke comes calling.  And maybe that happens when K retires.  But I wouldn't worry about any other jobs in the meantime. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 02:14:49 PM »
Does anyone know what Wojo's salary is at this point? 

Not that he seems like the type to use carousel rumors to get constant raises, but you wonder if MU ups his pay after this season, especially if we go S16 or better.  Maybe not up to Buzz's $2.8 million level when he left, but enough to keep anyone (aside from Duke) from looking attractive.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 02:15:04 PM »
Be surprising to see him leave with what is coming back next year, but Crean left with a powerhouse team that were juniors.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 02:18:02 PM »
UCLA? University of Cudahy down by the lake almost?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 02:22:14 PM »
I could be ignorant, but I think Wojo is serious about building something sustianable and long term here, ala Jay Wright at Nova.  I don't see him leaving unless Duke comes calling.  And maybe that happens when K retires.  But I wouldn't worry about any other jobs in the meantime.
We heard Crean was only leaving for Michigan or MSU. We heard Buzz was only leaving for Texas.
I said awhile back there will be a coach who comes along and realizes what MUBB is....the support, $, facilities, plane, NBA team, new arena, etc. and will understand what a unique kind of situation this is.
I do think that coach is Wojo.
However, I have also heard Wojo speak about his love for Duke and Coach K, so if the two of them asked.....I’m afraid he would answer.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 02:23:13 PM »

A few years back MU had a dinner for season ticket holders who renewed early or something like that.  Matt Heldt was at our table and unprompted he told us how Wojo loves it here and believes he has something special here.  Obviously he's not going to tell the players "hey I'm outta here when K retires" but Matt seemed to really think Wojo was excited to be at Marquette.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 02:24:14 PM »
If Wojonthinks he has to get MU fans to get off their behinds, he’s in for a treat at UCLA.  Terrible tv package, good luck with that.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

muguru

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 02:28:57 PM »

Not that he seems like the type to use carousel rumors to get constant raises, but you wonder if MU ups his pay after this season, especially if we go S16 or better.  Maybe not up to Buzz's $2.8 million level when he left, but enough to keep anyone (aside from Duke) from looking attractive.

Let's pump the breaks a bit, shall we?? This has been ONE really good year in 5..That's not raise worthy to me. Now if he sustains this success for a couple more years in a row..then by all means..
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 02:32:38 PM »
Let's pump the breaks a bit, shall we?? This has been ONE really good year in 5..That's not raise worthy to me. Now if he sustains this success for a couple more years in a row..then by all means..

The nature of the business dictates he will receive a raise, as much to show commitment as to ward off others. It is not the most practical approach to the world, but coaches are in a unique supply and demand position often dictated by emotions of those paying based on what you have done lately.  He will get a raise.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 02:33:31 PM »

Also shows recruits the school supports the coach and wants him there.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 02:36:54 PM by TallTitan34 »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 02:38:28 PM »

He be getting more cash after this year...guarantee!!
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2019, 03:44:57 PM »

Hold your horses, the regular season is important to get to the tourney, to make real money you have to win a few games in the NCAA.  Loss first round as a 2-4
seed would be a step back.  MU pays great, and really trumps UCLA when it comes to everything else but weather.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2019, 03:47:59 PM »

Yep

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2019, 03:57:33 PM »
Hold your horses, the regular season is important to get to the tourney, to make real money you have to win a few games in the NCAA.  Loss first round as a 2-4
seed would be a step back.  MU pays great, and really trumps UCLA when it comes to everything else but weather.

Crapshoot...ask Virginia.

He’s getting a raise

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2019, 04:04:41 PM »

Fiscal 2016: $1,740,964 salary, $34,500 bonus/incentive, $51,111 non-taxable benefits (total: $1,826,575)

https://apps.irs.gov/pub/epostcard/cor/390806251_201706_990_2018072615536984.pdf

However, that's simply his compensation from MU.  It does not include any side deals he negotiates, e.g. endorsements, appearances/speaking engagements, multi-level marketing sales, buying and selling on Poshmark, etc.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2019, 04:07:24 PM »

Don't be so sure about that. While MU certainly is having more success than UCLA in basketball, UCLA is an elite university. Somebody will eventually get it going there in basketball. Boosters are very active and more money is coming for recruiting etc. While currently down, they are fully capable of getting off the mat.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2019, 04:13:16 PM »
Don't be so sure about that. While MU certainly is having more success than UCLA in basketball, UCLA is an elite university. Somebody will eventually get it going there in basketball. Boosters are very active and more money is coming for recruiting etc. While currently down, they are fully capable of getting off the mat.

UCLA and the entire PAC 12 has fundamental issue right now with brand, money and exposure.  Mike Leach properly raises a stink about it earlier this week.  The PAC 12 network is the ONLY college network to LOSE households the last three years.  Only one.  They are losing distribution which means they are losing money, mind share and brad perception.

They have a mess on their hands right now. Ton of talent in California, but kids want to be seen on TV and the PAC 12 is not delivering for them.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2019, 04:21:35 PM »

He’s getting a raise
lol...chalking up UVA's colossal failure last year to bad luck is hilarious.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2019, 04:25:31 PM »
Why is his name even on that list? this stuff is just annoying as it seems to imply Marquette is some mid major stepping stone program that clearly should be left if some power 5 comes calling..Just non-sense. Why are we also thrown into the same pool of lesser programs like Cincy and Houston? With those programs entertaining UCLA would make sense, But not MUs program. Better in every aspect. Wojo to UCLA would be at best a lateral move.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2019, 04:26:45 PM »
Why is his name even on that list? this stuff is just annoying as it seems to imply Marquette is some mid major stepping stone program that clearly should be left if some power 5 comes calling..Just non-sense. Why are we also thrown into the same pool of lesser programs like Cincy and Houston? With those programs entertaining UCLA would make sense, But not MUs program. Better in every aspect. Wojo to UCLA would be at best a lateral move.

Based on MUs coaching history, we are a stepping stone. Or at least not yet a destination job.

And that's okay.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2019, 04:36:04 PM »

He’s getting a raise

Agree. Regardless of how the postseason goes, I will be shocked and disappointed if Wojo doesn't get a big raise.