[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NM  (Read 1948120 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: NM
« Reply #8200 on: March 08, 2020, 08:56:49 PM »
Cube them up, put olive oil and salt on and broil.  Can also toss in carrots, sweet potatoes, and onions too.  great root vegetable mix.

so that's what they mean by tossin' da salad, eyn'a?
don't...don't don't don't don't

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #8201 on: March 08, 2020, 08:57:19 PM »
Thanks for the beet suggestions.

I absolutely hate the taste, but I read that the high levels of nitric oxide can help with high blood pressure. I was skeptical, but my BP wasn't where my doc and I wanted it to be, so I gave beet powder a shot...and it helped a lot. Unfortunately, it still tastes like beets (i.e., dirt). Maybe lots of seasoning will help mask the taste. :(
Do I need to state the obvious?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #8202 on: March 08, 2020, 09:20:16 PM »
Thanks for the beet suggestions.

I absolutely hate the taste, but I read that the high levels of nitric oxide can help with high blood pressure. I was skeptical, but my BP wasn't where my doc and I wanted it to be, so I gave beet powder a shot...and it helped a lot. Unfortunately, it still tastes like beets (i.e., dirt). Maybe lots of seasoning will help mask the taste. :(

Beets are good for the vertical lift too if you know what I mean.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #8203 on: March 08, 2020, 09:26:30 PM »
Beets are good for the vertical lift too if you know what I mean.

that's the part about the yoga pants, and if you're entering a "gun free" zone aka corpus cavernosum

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #8204 on: March 08, 2020, 09:59:28 PM »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #8205 on: March 08, 2020, 10:03:58 PM »
that's the part about the yoga pants, and if you're entering a "gun free" zone aka corpus cavernosum

Fancy way of saying poppin a woody.

curbina

• Starter
« Reply #8206 on: March 08, 2020, 11:22:50 PM »
“You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks.”
- Winston S. Churchill

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8207 on: March 09, 2020, 09:02:27 AM »
Do I need to state the obvious?

If it's about meds or lifestyle changes, no - that's all covered.

I live in Rochester, so I have seen the chair of the hypertension group at the Mayo Clinic. I exercise every day, eat a very healthy diet, maintain a healthy weight, have never smoked, rarely drink...and have tried most every BP med out there. I was doing well for several years on lisinopril, when one day I woke up with my entire face swollen like a basketball ("angioedema"). Apparently, it's a rare but very serious risk for someone who has taken an ACE inhibitor for years. Now I can't take lisinopril or any other ACE inhibitor, and have tried (or have medical contraindications to taking) every other antihypertensive out there. It sucks, because I have to balance the line between long term risks of high BP vs side effects of drugs I shouldn't take.

At this point, I am working on stress reduction (especially meditation), looking for foods or supplements that help, and hoping to keep my BP manageable.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 09:04:16 AM by GooooMarquette »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8208 on: March 09, 2020, 09:04:51 AM »
Have ya gone grain-free yet, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Miss Katie’s

• All American
« Reply #8209 on: March 09, 2020, 09:38:52 AM »
Anybody know how to prepare red beets so they don't taste like dirt?

And I'm looking for simple, and mostly just beets...not "try 25 lbs of chocolate chips and 0.0001 g of beet powder." ;)

Try beets in a smoothie.  Google recipes, and you’ll find some decent that ones that include other healthy ingredients and are more palatable. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8210 on: March 09, 2020, 10:49:58 AM »

Don't most people call that fasting?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #8211 on: March 09, 2020, 11:00:19 AM »

I live in Rochester, so I have seen the chair of the hypertension group at the Mayo Clinic. I exercise every day, eat a very healthy diet, maintain a healthy weight, have never smoked, rarely drink...and have tried most every BP med out there. I was doing well for several years on lisinopril, when one day I woke up with my entire face swollen like a basketball ("angioedema"). Apparently, it's a rare but very serious risk for someone who has taken an ACE inhibitor for years. Now I can't take lisinopril or any other ACE inhibitor, and have tried (or have medical contraindications to taking) every other antihypertensive out there. It sucks, because I have to balance the line between long term risks of high BP vs side effects of drugs I shouldn't take.

At this point, I am working on stress reduction (especially meditation), looking for foods or supplements that help, and hoping to keep my BP manageable.
sorry about your situation. I empathize. I deal with individuals with hypertension everyday (individuals applying for disability). It is serious. The low hanging fruit I was going for was stop watching MU basketball.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #8212 on: March 09, 2020, 11:19:39 AM »

I do the OMAD (one meal a day).  I feel great when I do.  I will say, sometimes I feel guilt when I do start eating though

I told my uncle to give it a try.   He did weigh 270lbs, and within 2 months he’s at 209.

Saves money, more time to do what you want, and I sleep better

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #8213 on: March 09, 2020, 11:23:55 AM »
I do the OMAD (one meal a day).  I feel great when I do.  I will say, sometimes I feel guilt when I do start eating though

I told my uncle to give it a try.   He did weigh 270lbs, and within 2 months he’s at 209.

same here bro...and if i don't exercise, i feel extra guilty.  about 5 years ago, i dumped an extra 60, but put about 15 back on.   >:(   weird cuz i cannot imagine eating 3 meals a day

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #8214 on: March 09, 2020, 12:03:11 PM »

Time-restricted feeding/intermittent fasting. Good stuff

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #8215 on: March 09, 2020, 12:35:06 PM »

Try beets through a juicer.  Add carrots, oranges, etc. to balance out the flavor.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8216 on: March 09, 2020, 01:20:18 PM »
sorry about your situation. I empathize. I deal with individuals with hypertension everyday (individuals applying for disability). It is serious. The low hanging fruit I was going for was stop watching MU basketball.

LOL The softball was sitting right there, ready for me to hit it out of the park.

Swing, and a miss!! ;D

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #8217 on: March 09, 2020, 02:47:53 PM »
Anyone ever roast raw cauliflower in a 475-degree oven until it's just charred all over?  My wife and I have been doing this recently and can't believe how we've never discovered this before.  Cut, toss in some olive oil, sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.

FYI - You can only weigh three cauliflower heads at a time on the self-check scales at Mariano's.  You could try stacking the fourth on top, but the check-out monitor doesn't like that.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #8218 on: March 09, 2020, 02:50:40 PM »
Anyone ever roast raw cauliflower in a 475-degree oven until it's just charred all over?  My wife and I have been doing this recently and can't believe how we've never discovered this before.  Cut, toss in some olive oil, sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.

This works for broccoli as well

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8219 on: March 09, 2020, 02:54:57 PM »
'hole lotta methane goin' on, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #8220 on: March 09, 2020, 03:02:48 PM »
'hole lotta methane goin' on, aina?

Grainless, hey?  Cali or broc ground up can make a nice rice substitute.  Even better if you grill them first.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #8221 on: March 09, 2020, 04:14:23 PM »

FYI - You can only weigh three cauliflower heads at a time on the self-check scales at Mariano's.  You could try stacking the fourth on top, but the check-out monitor doesn't like that.
Yes. I pattern mine off a restaurant in NOLA called Dominica which is known for theirs on appetizer menu. Delicious

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #8222 on: March 09, 2020, 04:19:06 PM »
This works for broccoli as well

Season with paprika--- $$$

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8223 on: March 09, 2020, 04:45:05 PM »

Works great with brussels sprouts too.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #8224 on: March 09, 2020, 06:20:42 PM »

Works great with brussels sprouts too.

Speaking of, I highly recommend the brussels sprouts at Cloud Red in Shorewood.

feedback