[Today at 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NM  (Read 1948593 times)

forgetful

• All American
Re: NM
« Reply #6775 on: July 05, 2019, 01:59:39 PM »
Don't tell them about Texas. Get to the right part of Texas and you could go 15 hours in one direction and still be in Texas

There is nothing in the world more helpless and depraved than a man in the depths of a cross Texas car ride.

LongtimeFan

• Walk-On
« Reply #6776 on: July 05, 2019, 02:10:42 PM »
I'm still not convinced Delaware is a real place

There is concrete evidence Delaware does not exist. A well advertised local attorney claims to have played basketball at U of Delaware. He also claims to be everyone’s “partner”. Is this believable?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6777 on: July 05, 2019, 02:13:24 PM »
David, 'bout tyme ya posted, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

LongtimeFan

• Walk-On
« Reply #6778 on: July 05, 2019, 02:45:36 PM »
One post (now two), that’s all!

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #6779 on: July 05, 2019, 02:50:31 PM »
Been to only 27, but the Atlantic Ocean is kind of an obstacle...
Goal is National Championship

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6780 on: July 05, 2019, 03:17:56 PM »
Sweet. Each island is so different.

Yeah, that was the thing that surprised me the first time I was there. I has always just seen the Waikiki beaches and luaus in the ads, and was pleasantly surprised with the diversity.

The most amazing place to me is the Big Island. You have the moonscape of black lava fields around Kona, some of the world's best coffee plantations when you head south, an active volcano at the tip, lush rainforests if you continue around to the Hilo side, and immense horse ranches in the northern tip. And in the middle, you can even ski on Mauna Kea.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6781 on: July 05, 2019, 03:26:06 PM »
There is nothing in the world more helpless and depraved than a man in the depths of a cross Texas car ride.

Back in high school, a friend and I split a summer between my relatives in Pensacola and his in Oklahoma City. When we left Pensacola, we timed the drive to arrive in Nawlins in time to drink in the French Quarter...then we proceeded to Houston to catch an afternoon double header in the Astrodome...then we headed north through Texas (and through Texas, and through Texas) until we finally arrived in OKC. No sleep except what we could catch in the car while the other was driving. And lemme tell you, Texas is big enough on its own...but it's REALLY big after a night of drinking on Bourbon Street and a double-header in Houston.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #6782 on: July 05, 2019, 03:38:33 PM »
Been to only 27, but the Atlantic Ocean is kind of an obstacle...

Oh yeah, and I've been to the beautiful 'state' of PR!   ;D

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6783 on: July 05, 2019, 03:43:56 PM »
Oh yeah, and I've been to the beautiful 'state' of PR!   ;D

Remember the old Rosanne Rosannadanna skit on SNL? "They want to make Puerto Rico a steak?!?"

https://pugetsoundblogs.com/waterways/2010/01/11/amusing-monday-recalling-snls-emily-litella/
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 03:45:52 PM by GooooMarquette »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #6784 on: July 05, 2019, 04:40:26 PM »
Don't tell them about Texas. Get to the right part of Texas and you could go 15 hours in one direction and still be in Texas

We had a relative who lives in the Detroit area host her British cousin (from the other side of the family) for a couple of weeks.  When asked what she might like to do while she is here, her list included visiting the following:

New York City
The Grand Canyon
Disneyworld
Hollywood

She had no clue how far all of these places were from Detroit - or each other.

Have some patience, FFS.

Slim

• All American
« Reply #6785 on: July 05, 2019, 04:57:01 PM »
Texarkana, TX is closer to Chicago than it is to El Paso.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6786 on: July 05, 2019, 07:00:38 PM »
We had a relative who lives in the Detroit area host her British cousin (from the other side of the family) for a couple of weeks.  When asked what she might like to do while she is here, her list included visiting the following:

New York City
The Grand Canyon
Disneyworld
Hollywood

She had no clue how far all of these places were from Detroit - or each other.

One doesn't have to be a fer'ner to not quite understand that everything in the USA isn't right next door.

I once had this conversation with a fellow Marquette student:

Her: "Where are you from?"

Me: "A small town in Connecticut called Milford."

Her: "I never heard of that. What's it near?"

Me: "It's on the Long Island Sound, between Bridgeport and New Haven."

Her: "I'm not familiar with those. What else is it near?"

Me: "Well, it's about 60 miles from New York City."

Her: "Oh! New York! Do you know (throws out some name)?"

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #6787 on: July 05, 2019, 07:01:34 PM »
My family vacations in Delaware every summer. So, I hope it’s real. If not, someone owes us an explanation.

Rehoboth?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #6788 on: July 05, 2019, 07:12:42 PM »
Which 2, glow?

For me, it's North Dakota, Arkansas and Idaho.

As I mentioned, I got within a few miles of North Dakota during my time in MN, and I literally could have walked into Arkansas when I was in Memphis years ago but didn't do it.

My grown kids live in Chicago and Seattle, so I could knock out Idaho and North Dakota by driving from one to the other. Then I'd be obligated to take a trip to Arkansas, I suppose.

If I had 22 states to go or something like that, I wouldn't even think about it. But at 47, I might as well do all 50.

MU82 mentioning Arkansas and a few mentioning driving across Texas.  A two for one.
For spring break Senior year five of us rented a mini van and drove from Milwaukee to South Padre Island.  27 hours total.  It took 14 hours to get to Texas and another 13 to South Padre.

I was drunk, hungover and recovered all in one drive 
In Arkansas we stopped to fill up gas.  Another guy at the station filling up saw the Wisconsin plates and exclaimed to us, "You boys picked a good time to come to Arkansas, it's croppie season!"

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #6789 on: July 05, 2019, 07:20:27 PM »
Texarkana, TX is closer to Chicago than it is to El Paso.

I drove one year from El Paso all the way across the state past TAMU's house and into Louisiana at Shreveport. (So I'd catch the LA corner.)  Freakin' forever.  I had originally considered Big Bend NP until I realized how much further south I'd have to go.  NFW.

All that said, the greatest adventure journey any halfway normal person could ever do in North America is the Dalton.  It's the holy grail for the ADV world.  I'll never do it all but I could possibly imagine an arduous day trip up and back from Fairbanks to the Arctic Circle sign.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 07:26:23 PM by jsglow »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #6790 on: July 05, 2019, 07:25:27 PM »
A lot of New Englanders are that way as well.

Glow was on a ski lift once with someone who, when they learned he was from Illinois, asked if people from there drive to Colorado to ski on the weekend because "it's only about 3 states away".

On one of the road trips south, we headed to Atlanta first driving through Shenandoah.
At 10:30 in the morning we remarked that after 5 hours of driving we have passed through 7 states.  (Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, West Virginia & Virginia.)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #6791 on: July 05, 2019, 07:27:25 PM »
Catching up on Scoop waiting for my town fireworks to start while listening to a Huey Lewis cover band.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #6792 on: July 05, 2019, 07:28:06 PM »
On one of the road trips south, we headed to Atlanta first driving through Shenandoah.
At 10:30 in the morning we remarked that after 5 hours of driving we have passed through 7 states.  (Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, West Virginia & Virginia.)

DAMN, you missed Delaware too!   :o

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #6793 on: July 05, 2019, 07:33:02 PM »
DAMN, you missed Delaware too!   :o

Does Delaware exist?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6794 on: July 05, 2019, 07:35:24 PM »
Pennsylvania isn't as far across as Texas, obviously, but it's still one of those drives that, after hours and hours and hours and hours, you go, "We're STILL in effen Pennsylvania?!?!"

At least it's not 55 mph anymore. PA was one of the last states to go to 65+ on interstates. It used to be even more brutal.

Florida also is a very long drive from north to south.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #6795 on: July 05, 2019, 07:41:16 PM »
I hit my 50th state last year. I loved geography in grade school and had early on in life made it a life goal to hit all 50. Definitely need time, luck, and help either from work sending you places or an understanding spouse.

Delaware exists for one reason, to collect tolls.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #6796 on: July 05, 2019, 07:47:35 PM »

Back in high school, a friend and I split a summer between my relatives in Pensacola and his in Oklahoma City. When we left Pensacola, we timed the drive to arrive in Nawlins in time to drink in the French Quarter...then we proceeded to Houston to catch an afternoon double header in the Astrodome...then we headed north through Texas (and through Texas, and through Texas) until we finally arrived in OKC. No sleep except what we could catch in the car while the other was driving. And lemme tell you, Texas is big enough on its own...but it's REALLY big after a night of drinking on Bourbon Street and a double-header in Houston.

I feel you there. My first trip to TX was after spending Friday-Tues at Mardi Gras. We had one sober friend who never drank. They decided we needed to take a trip to TX, so Wed morning, we were up on a trip through all of TX to the Mexico border (South Padre Island).

Great trip, but man was that ride tough after Mardi Gras.

As for states, I'm missing North and South Dakota, Alaska, and Hawaii. The latter two I will hit up eventually, not sure about the Dakota's.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #6797 on: July 05, 2019, 07:53:34 PM »
I hit my 50th state last year. I loved geography in grade school and had early on in life made it a life goal to hit all 50. Definitely need time, luck, and help either from work sending you places or an understanding spouse.

Delaware exists for one reason, to collect tolls.

That's impressive at your youthful age Dish.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #6798 on: July 05, 2019, 07:54:52 PM »
I'm feeling pretty week having only been to 30 states, Puerto Rico and 5 Canadian Provinces.

I just added Nebraska this week.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 07:59:10 PM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #6799 on: July 05, 2019, 07:56:05 PM »
Illinois is one long, sorry a$$ state.

In 1982, drove one June night from SB to Milwaukee, made it to Real Chili at close. Ate it at The Swamp, and returned home to SB.  No beer was involved  :o ;)

feedback