[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NM  (Read 1949016 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: NM
« Reply #4200 on: August 23, 2018, 10:23:34 PM »
I would never ever eat at a chain restaurant in NOLA. Too many great options.

As for great eating towns ... I haven't been to all of 'em of course, but my old stompin' grounds of Chicago sure had some great eats.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4201 on: August 24, 2018, 01:05:42 AM »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4202 on: August 24, 2018, 05:37:24 AM »
Interesting reading how often you all use Yelp. It's really terrible for businesses and their lists are often based on pay and social media presence. I know this from working sales for two of their competitors.

I'd check Thrillist, or Eater or a local variation if I were you when traveling.

Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4203 on: August 24, 2018, 06:59:48 AM »
60 is the new 40.  Age of peak self-esteem.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/08/23/at-what-age-is-self-esteem-highest/

They leave out the time period the articles came from. Maybe it has less to do with the age and more with the individuals. If this is updated from say 20 years ago, the same people that were 40 then are 60 now.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #4204 on: August 24, 2018, 07:15:12 AM »
Interesting reading how often you all use Yelp. It's really terrible for businesses and their lists are often based on pay and social media presence. I know this from working sales for two of their competitors.

I'd check Thrillist, or Eater or a local variation if I were you when traveling.
It's rarely steered me wrong.

And it's not like I automatically choose what is at the top of the search. I read the actual reviews to find out exactly why they liked the place. I also make it a point to read the 1 and 2 star reviews as well. If a guy gives a place one star because it was closed when he got there or didn't have enough vegan options, I am going to discount those.

I read Thrillist and Eater as well, but I wouldn't necessarily take the advice of one anonymous internet writer over that of hundreds of regular people.
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4205 on: August 24, 2018, 07:52:01 AM »
It's rarely steered me wrong.

And it's not like I automatically choose what is at the top of the search. I read the actual reviews to find out exactly why they liked the place. I also make it a point to read the 1 and 2 star reviews as well. If a guy gives a place one star because it was closed when he got there or didn't have enough vegan options, I am going to discount those.

I read Thrillist and Eater as well, but I wouldn't necessarily take the advice of one anonymous internet writer over that of hundreds of regular people.

Same here. I read the reviews, take into account any that just give 1 or 5 stars without comment or for bizarre reasons, look at the specifics of what people like and don't, and have rarely been steered to a bad place.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4206 on: August 24, 2018, 08:14:10 AM »
Best meal I have ever had was at Commanders Palace in the Garden District. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4207 on: August 24, 2018, 08:27:31 AM »
My favorite Yelp story...

My family and I had about 36 hours to kill in Atlanta and I was trying to find some things for us to do.  Coincidentally, this was on the way home from the NOLA trip that I mentioned in previous posts.  I'd never been to Atlanta, but I recalled hearing from friends many years earlier about a very cool place that they had been:  Underground Atlanta.

So, I turned to Yelp.  Here is a sampling of what I found from the preceding couple of months:

• First, this isn't the Underground Atlanta of years ago. Now, it's just dark, dank, dirty, riddled with criminal-element types loitering all day, and punctuated by empty storefronts.
  • Don't do it. Someone actually got shot when I was there yesterday. This place should be burned to the ground.
  • Had the family in Atlanta for spring break.  Everyone said go to underground atlanta.   All the people that said that went there 10 years ago.   So here we are In the mall area thinking that we would have felt safer in a crack house.
  • I strongly recommend no one to go to this place, especially with nothing valuable. Very shady place.
  • As not being from Atlanta I asked my friend where I can go to get souvenirs he told me underground Atlanta. I went parked was excited, it end up being like a regular mall. I was in and out of there in 20 minutes had to pay $7 for parking, waste of time and money.
  • I've been to markets in 3rd world countries that put this place to shame. Unkept, dirty, dark, feels unsafe.
  • The walk from the disgusting parking deck was shady at best, with the smell of urine fountains wreaking in the air.  That's right, all the fountains had been drained and were full of trash and the smell of urine was everywhere.

Yeah...we skipped it.  We did, however, entertain ourselves for 30 minutes reading reviews.

PS - Atlanta's aquarium is beautiful.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4208 on: August 24, 2018, 08:54:35 AM »
Sad about Underground Atlanta. We went there during the Final Four in ‘77 and had a great time. I’ve often wondered if it was still worth visiting, but never bothered to look it up.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4209 on: August 24, 2018, 09:41:57 AM »
Yelp is for FOLLOWERS.

#BeALeader

Monsoon in Minneapolis today. Help
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #4210 on: August 24, 2018, 12:26:19 PM »
If anyone was looking for the 2007 MU Senior Night ceremony that I uploaded 11 years ago, Youtube just blocked it due to copyright claims.

Nice job, Youtube.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #4211 on: August 24, 2018, 02:06:13 PM »
If anyone was looking for the 2007 MU Senior Night ceremony that I uploaded 11 years ago, Youtube just blocked it due to copyright claims.

Nice job, Youtube.

Those Kinsella / Lott highlights...
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #4212 on: August 24, 2018, 02:09:54 PM »
Sad about Underground Atlanta. We went there during the Final Four in ‘77 and had a great time. I’ve often wondered if it was still worth visiting, but never bothered to look it up.
We were  there on championship night into the wee hours.  Barely made the plane home.   ;)

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #4213 on: August 24, 2018, 03:40:55 PM »
http://uk.businessinsider.com/best-cheap-beer-to-buy-2017-9?op=0
Of course its PBR  ::) I've known since late '70  ;D
Goal is National Championship

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4214 on: August 24, 2018, 04:42:11 PM »

Nice job, Youtube.

Is MU recalling your STH of the Game too?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #4215 on: August 25, 2018, 06:53:13 AM »
Did JB hack scoop?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4216 on: August 25, 2018, 10:00:53 PM »
We were  there on championship night into the wee hours.  Barely made the plane home.   ;)

Wish I had been partying there...but I woulda probably been carded, being 14 at the time.  :(

Actually I was on a late flight back that night. We got to Mitchell an hour or two after the team. The airport was pretty messed up.  ;D

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #4217 on: August 26, 2018, 07:55:02 AM »
Heading to the fair now. Looking forward to the cheese curd, corn dog, mini donut hangover

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #4218 on: August 26, 2018, 10:28:28 AM »
Breakfast

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #4219 on: August 26, 2018, 11:11:53 AM »
It's almost better when you find those little hole in the wall places in your own city. My dad introduced me to Maxwell Street Depot on the Southside and their pork chop sandwich. No fast food meal has ever come close to topping it.

My favorite Yelp story.  I'm kind of a pizza snob.  Like to try new places when I come across them.  A while back I found a hole in the wall pizza place.  Run down strip mall, pretty sure it was the only open storefront in the entire place.   Figured I'd give it a try.

The owner was the only employee.  The pizza amazing.  Came back a few times and never saw anyone in there.  Decided to write a yelp review hoping that it might bring him business, and he would be able to stay open (it was a very favorable review and one of like only 2 he had).  The owner saw it and was very grateful, apparently his business was slow enough that he could figure out who wrote it.

Business started to quickly pick up, because people saw it and wanted to try something new.  More and more positive reviews came in.  He expanded, added delivery, and not too long ago was rated the best pizza in the city. 

To this day if I call in, the owner still demands that he is the one that makes my pizza and checks me out.  Some now say the quality has declined some, but my order is still phenomenal...likely because the owner is still making my pizza.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #4220 on: August 26, 2018, 12:02:13 PM »
My favorite Yelp story.  I'm kind of a pizza snob.  Like to try new places when I come across them.  A while back I found a hole in the wall pizza place.  Run down strip mall, pretty sure it was the only open storefront in the entire place.   Figured I'd give it a try.

The owner was the only employee.  The pizza amazing.  Came back a few times and never saw anyone in there.  Decided to write a yelp review hoping that it might bring him business, and he would be able to stay open (it was a very favorable review and one of like only 2 he had).  The owner saw it and was very grateful, apparently his business was slow enough that he could figure out who wrote it.

Business started to quickly pick up, because people saw it and wanted to try something new.  More and more positive reviews came in.  He expanded, added delivery, and not too long ago was rated the best pizza in the city. 

To this day if I call in, the owner still demands that he is the one that makes my pizza and checks me out.  Some now say the quality has declined some, but my order is still phenomenal...likely because the owner is still making my pizza.

And you aren't going to tell us the name of the place?   >:(
Have some patience, FFS.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4221 on: August 26, 2018, 12:28:30 PM »

Great story.  I think these sites help keep the ma and pops going, giving them a broader reach.

When traveling, I lean toward TripAdvisor versus Yelp.  For certain occasions, I prefer the tourist perspective versus the local. For example, first time visitors to MKE may prefer the tourist reviews of the Safehouse versus the local reviews who went last 10 years ago with no need to go back.  I also find many Yelp reviews skew negative with an entitled POV ("I have been going here for 30 years, but they didn't seat me right away when I showed up with a party of 6 without a reservation").  With either, I read only the five and one star reviews to provide context.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 12:34:23 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4222 on: August 26, 2018, 12:31:42 PM »

I'm kind of a pizza snob. 

This got me thinking - most people consider themselves "snobs" regarding some food or hobby. So what kinda snobs are the rest of you Scoopers?

I consider myself a snob regarding a few things, but if I had to list one it would definitely be coffee, specifically espresso drinks. Yours?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 12:34:53 PM by GooooMarquette »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4223 on: August 26, 2018, 12:36:07 PM »
This got me thinking - most people consider themselves "snobs" regarding some food or hobby. So what kinda snobs are the rest of you Scoopers?

I consider myself a snob regarding a few things, but if I had to list one it would definitely be coffee, specifically espresso drinks. Yours?

Chili

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4224 on: August 26, 2018, 12:39:57 PM »
Spaghetti.

Favorite pizza story.  When my wife was pregnant for our first, once a week we had to drive across town for a specific local pizza that the baby wanted.  Pregnancy cravings said no other pizza would do.  When our daughter was born, I called the place to let them know their best customer would not be coming  by for a while.  They brought my wife's favorite pie to her at the hospital, gratis.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.