[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NM  (Read 1948678 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
Re: NM
« Reply #3551 on: July 05, 2018, 11:53:06 AM »
I always loved having the feast of the immaculate conception off every fall at MU. Still have no idea what that was about.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3552 on: July 05, 2018, 01:06:47 PM »
I always loved having the feast of the immaculate conception off every fall at MU. Still have no idea what that was about.

I always thought it was the feast of the immaculate reception. Now I guess I have no idea either....

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3553 on: July 05, 2018, 01:37:04 PM »
A few sandwiches ago, I was thinking of cutting off the crusts, but thought that was pretty juvenile.

So I cut off just two of the four crusts. 

It's really improved my sandwich enjoyment.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3554 on: July 05, 2018, 04:10:29 PM »
A few sandwiches ago, I was thinking of cutting off the crusts, but thought that was pretty juvenile.

But if you could improve your sandwich enjoyment even more by cutting off the other two crusts, does it matter.

Oh, wait - it just occurred to me that as a Scoop mod, you have a certain reputation to uphold.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #3555 on: July 05, 2018, 04:28:23 PM »

FIFY

Have some patience, FFS.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #3556 on: July 05, 2018, 06:01:14 PM »
FIFY

Isn't the edge on an uncrustable technically a crust though?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3557 on: July 05, 2018, 08:16:04 PM »

Looks like it to me. If it was truly crustless, you’d see the filling running out the sides.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #3558 on: July 05, 2018, 08:19:23 PM »
Looks like it to me. If it was truly crustless, you’d see the filling running out the sides.

It's an edge, not a crust.

Filling will run out of a sandwich if you cut the crusts off.  Or even if you don't.
Have some patience, FFS.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3559 on: July 05, 2018, 08:41:18 PM »

Arby's onion rolls don't have crusts. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3560 on: July 05, 2018, 08:45:57 PM »
Arby's onion rolls don't have crusts. 

Isnt the outside of a roll just one continuous crust?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3561 on: July 06, 2018, 08:00:17 AM »
It's an edge, not a crust.

Filling will run out of a sandwich if you cut the crusts off.  Or even if you don't.

FWIW, most dictionary definitions of “crust” include pastry or pie-type shells.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3562 on: July 06, 2018, 08:14:33 AM »

I don't think so.  They obviously use an industrial strength one of these, which does, in fact, cut off the crusts.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #3563 on: July 06, 2018, 09:16:44 AM »
FWIW, most dictionary definitions of “crust” include pastry or pie-type shells.
out of curiosity, how many dictionaries were involved in this research?
*pictures Goooo in a library, leather chair, with a pipe*

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3564 on: July 06, 2018, 09:17:49 AM »

Anyhow, there’s still the July 2 vs July 4 question....

No, there isn't any question at all.  You celebrate action, not a vote to take the action.

Look at it this way... the beginning of a President's term is recognized as Inauguration Day, not Election Day.  If the President-Elect dies between ED and ID, their legacy will forever be as a President-Elect, not a President.

If the signors took the vote but never signed the Declaration of Independence, what the hell would there be to celebrate?

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3565 on: July 06, 2018, 09:22:17 AM »
No, there isn't any question at all.  You celebrate action, not a vote to take the action.

Look at it this way... the beginning of a President's term is recognized as Inauguration Day, not Election Day.  If the President-Elect dies between ED and ID, their legacy will forever be as a President-Elect, not a President.

No love for ECD?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3566 on: July 06, 2018, 09:47:39 AM »
But if you could improve your sandwich enjoyment even more by cutting off the other two crusts, does it matter.

Oh, wait - it just occurred to me that as a Scoop mod, you have a certain reputation to uphold.

Cutting only two crusts lets me feel slightly less unsophisticated.  Then it's like a pizza crust, something you hold on to, maybe eat.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3567 on: July 06, 2018, 12:48:20 PM »

If the signors took the vote but never signed the Declaration of Independence, what the hell would there be to celebrate?

Which brings us back to my original point: If the signers signed the declaration but we didn’t go on to win the war and form an independent nation, what the hell would there be to celebrate?

You seem to be making an argument for the date of the Paris peace treaty, or perhaps the date that the Articles of Confederation or Constitution were adopted.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 12:49:57 PM by GooooMarquette »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3568 on: July 06, 2018, 12:55:56 PM »
Which brings us back to my original point: If the signers signed the declaration but we didn’t go on to win the war and form an independent nation, what the hell would there be to celebrate?

We’d be celebrating the defeat of a rebellion while enjoying membership in the Commonwealth. If our ancestors would have even bothered to emigrate to a British territory in the first place.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3569 on: July 06, 2018, 05:22:01 PM »
We’d be celebrating the defeat of a rebellion while enjoying membership in the Commonwealth. If our ancestors would have even bothered to emigrate to a British territory in the first place.

Which raises another interesting question: has anyone here done any ancestry research and have ancestors who were here before the revolution?

It’s pretty mind blowing how quickly the numbers of direct ancestors you have when you go back a bit. Two biological parents, four grandparents, eight great-grandparents and so on. By the time you get to your great x 5 grandparents, you have 128 of them!

Anyhow I tracked a couple of mine back to the 1600s and 1700s in Massachusetts, Connecticut and New York, and have two direct grandparents who served in the Connecticut Militia during the Revoutionary War. My daughter is even thinking of applying for membership in DAR.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3570 on: July 06, 2018, 05:26:12 PM »
Which raises another interesting question: has anyone here done any ancestry research and have ancestors who were here before the revolution?

It’s pretty mind blowing how quickly the numbers of direct ancestors you have when you go back a bit. Two biological parents, four grandparents, eight great-grandparents and so on. By the time you get to your great x 5 grandparents, you have 128 of them!

Anyhow I tracked a couple of mine back to the 1600s and 1700s in Massachusetts, Connecticut and New York, and have two direct grandparents who served in the Connecticut Militia during the Revoutionary War. My daughter is even thinking of applying for membership in DAR.

Every single one of my great grandparents, and one of my grandparents, was born in what was basically Germany. I don’t believe I had a single ancestor here prior to 1880.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #3571 on: July 06, 2018, 05:56:41 PM »
Every single one of my great grandparents, and one of my grandparents, was born in what was basically Germany. I don’t believe I had a single ancestor here prior to 1880.

Genealogy is fascinating stuff.

If you go to my moms side I'm technically (sorta) first generation American.

But on my dads side, They've been in Chicago for at least 5 generations, may have been one of the first settlers in the city.

Slim

• All American
« Reply #3572 on: July 06, 2018, 11:10:53 PM »
I am a direct descendant of Miles Standish from the Mayflower. And that was also a favorite sandwich at Suburbia on campus!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #3573 on: July 07, 2018, 07:26:14 AM »

My French-Canadian ancestry has the relatives in Quebec in 1635 as part of the Percheron Immigration, the first sustained Immigration to French Canada.
It's the French equivalent to the Mayflower.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #3574 on: July 07, 2018, 07:48:15 AM »
I have done Ancestry.com twice. Absolutely fascinating to me. The last time one branch kept telling me there was a record of this person's parents and the parent's parents.  I kept hitting accept, accept, accept, I believe about 15 times.  I was thinking it was cool to see all these names of people in England. Several "Sirs" and "Lady's". It ended at some guy named "Henry VIII Tudor". I lost confidence in the validity of the branch.

feedback