[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NM  (Read 1948671 times)

swoopem

• All American
Re: NM
« Reply #3525 on: July 03, 2018, 11:52:30 AM »
I saw Joe Walsh open for Bob Seger at the United Center about 5 years ago. Still one of the best non Grateful Dead related concerts I’ve been to. They both killed it

Saw Seger again this past September and the guy still rocks. Now that he’s had his back surgery hopefully he’s got a few more tours left in him.

Which reminds me, I saw Paul Simon on his farewell tour about a month ago at DTE outside Detroit. He sounded amazing, it’s a shame that he’s hanging em up
Bring back FFP!!!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3526 on: July 03, 2018, 12:48:54 PM »
Thoughts on Dennis Quaid and the Sharks?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #3527 on: July 03, 2018, 02:08:53 PM »
The Midway is for midgets. Needed traction after touring it.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3528 on: July 03, 2018, 02:42:43 PM »
The Midway is for midgets. Needed traction after touring it.

I'm only 6'2" and I bumped my head three times and stubbed my toe once.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3529 on: July 03, 2018, 03:11:27 PM »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #3530 on: July 03, 2018, 03:40:22 PM »
Gonna try to get last minute super-cheap tix to Paramore at the home of the Minneapolis Lakers - The Armory - on Thursday. Great music venue! (Converted for Super Bowl concerts)
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #3531 on: July 03, 2018, 05:40:09 PM »
Gonna try to get last minute super-cheap tix to Paramore at the home of the Minneapolis Lakers - The Armory - on Thursday. Great music venue! (Converted for Super Bowl concerts)

Hayley Williams puts on one hell of a show. Saw them at Summerfest years ago.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #3532 on: July 03, 2018, 07:18:26 PM »
Hayley Williams puts on one hell of a show. Saw them at Summerfest years ago.

I luv her. Went to see them at the MN State Fair about 10 years ago.

Fortunately, the venue is only a few blocks from my place. Going to wait it out on the Gametime app for - hopefully - an incredible price (aiming for less than $10!!!).
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 07:23:07 PM by Jay Bee »

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #3533 on: July 03, 2018, 09:51:20 PM »
I luv her. Went to see them at the MN State Fair about 10 years ago.

Fortunately, the venue is only a few blocks from my place. Going to wait it out on the Gametime app for - hopefully - an incredible price (aiming for less than $10!!!).
I feel like we are the only two +50yr olds who've accepted the next iteration of rock as legit. 

My apologies to anyone i've slighted by this (Tower?) but most of the elder classes seem to hang on to the 60's and 70's.  I love that music but saw it in the 80's and 90's.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #3534 on: July 04, 2018, 03:58:48 PM »
Anyone tried Arby’s Meat Mountain?
Goal is National Championship

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3535 on: July 04, 2018, 09:31:35 PM »

if that's a real pic of someone's samich-holy cow, pig and poultry batman!!  but if ya ever noticed, the billboard pics, commercials, etc always show this beautifully layered thick monstrosity only stormy could get her mouth around.  then ya open your bag in the car and ya see this 2 slices of meat folded into a finger print smashed up, lopsided, in a  wtf  greasy package and go WHERE'S DA MEAT!

if it looks like that, i'm gonna be poopin arby's for a couple of days :-[
don't...don't don't don't don't

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3536 on: July 04, 2018, 09:32:43 PM »
So does anyone else think it's odd that we celebrate American independence on July 4 instead of September 3 (official end of Revolutionary War) or September 17 (adoption of the Constitution)?

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #3537 on: July 04, 2018, 10:00:54 PM »
Sounds a lot like me when I visited the Midway in San Diego a couple years ago.  Wife and kids were begging to leave, and I was still wandering all over the place.  Good thing I had the car keys.

BTW - Who are/were the Iron Claws?

I did a Pilot Exchange tour flying Prowlers with VAQ 136. The 136 squadron tactical call sign is Iron Claw.

The mission of VAQ squadrons is SEAD - Suppression of enemy air defenses. It is an essential mission for strike operations but is an incredibly crazy way to make a living. Then, after jousting with SAMs and AAA, you have to go back to the boat and grab an OK Three Wire before you can call it Miller Time.

The finest articulation of the SEAD mission was expressed by one of my favorite writers, Tom Wolfe. Wolfe's short story, Jousting with Sam and Charlie details life in a fighter squadron tasked with taking out bad guy SAM sites.

I need to get down to San Diego and do the tour. I spent two years aboard the Midway Maru. I have nothing but great memories.

"I don't care what Chick says, my mom's a babe" 

theBabyDavid

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #3538 on: July 04, 2018, 10:17:58 PM »
that looks like dog food.  on the plus side, we'll always have this...
https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys/status/1014574961778978817

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #3539 on: July 04, 2018, 10:22:45 PM »
  if that's a real pic of someone's samich-holy cow, pig and poultry batman!!  but if ya ever noticed, the billboard pics, commercials, etc always show this beautifully layered thick monstrosity only stormy could get her mouth around.  then ya open your bag in the car and ya see this 2 slices of meat folded into a finger print smashed up, lopsided, in a  wtf  greasy package and go WHERE'S DA MEAT!

if it looks like that, i'm gonna be poopin arby's for a couple of days :-[
More pics
Goal is National Championship

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #3540 on: July 04, 2018, 10:29:42 PM »
KFC’s Double Down sandwich was incredible.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #3541 on: July 04, 2018, 11:07:23 PM »
So does anyone else think it's odd that we celebrate American independence on July 4 instead of September 3 (official end of Revolutionary War) or September 17 (adoption of the Constitution)?

No.  As the ones declaring independence, the start of the war matters more to us than the end.  The end matters more to Britain.

As for the US Constitution, why would we celebrate that?  Are we just ignoring the Articles of Confederation ever existed?

Now if you're talking about July 2, then you might have a point.  That day marks the original vote to declare independence.  The Declaration of Independence was then signed July 4.

But July 4 was the day eventually picked to be the official holiday.  So that is why we celebrate the 4th and not July 2.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3542 on: July 04, 2018, 11:19:02 PM »
No.  As the ones declaring independence, the start of the war matters more to us than the end.  The end matters more to Britain.

As for the US Constitution, why would we celebrate that?  Are we just ignoring the Articles of Confederation ever existed?

Now if you're talking about July 2, then you might have a point.  That day marks the original vote to declare independence.  The Declaration of Independence was then signed July 4.

But July 4 was the day eventually picked to be the official holiday.  So that is why we celebrate the 4th and not July 2.

I understand the date. Still, I think it’s kinda odd that we celebrate the day we formally said “hey, we’re gonna fight you guys” instead of the day we actually won.

And your comment about the Articles of Confederation instead of the Constitution is valid. Again, a date when we arguably  became a nation.

Anyhow lots of interesting options....

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3543 on: July 05, 2018, 07:26:15 AM »
Jesus wasn't born on December 25, either.  They chose from an abundance of significant days.  Now it is just tradition.  But it is good you actually have studied enough to recognize the disparity and care.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #3544 on: July 05, 2018, 07:38:34 AM »
I understand the date. Still, I think it’s kinda odd that we celebrate the day we formally said “hey, we’re gonna fight you guys” instead of the day we actually won.

And your comment about the Articles of Confederation instead of the Constitution is valid. Again, a date when we arguably  became a nation.

It's a matter of perspective.  The colonies declared independence on July 4, 1776.  In their mind, they were an independent nation from that point forward.  To celebrate the end of the war would mean they were in fact still colonies the entire time of the  war, which then undermines the entire premise that the colonies had a right to declare independence at all.

Britain views the entire issue from a different perspective.  They see it as a civil war with the colonies.  But celebrating independence based on Britain's perspective of the civil war ending seems odd to me.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3545 on: July 05, 2018, 07:59:30 AM »
It's a matter of perspective.  The colonies declared independence on July 4, 1776.  In their mind, they were an independent nation from that point forward.  To celebrate the end of the war would mean they were in fact still colonies the entire time of the  war, which then undermines the entire premise that the colonies had a right to declare independence at all.

Britain views the entire issue from a different perspective.  They see it as a civil war with the colonies.  But celebrating independence based on Britain's perspective of the civil war ending seems odd to me.

Fair enough.

To use a sports analogy, I guess I view it as a difference between scheduling a big game and actually winning it.

Anyhow, there’s still the July 2 vs July 4 question....

My point - as nicely illustrated by tower’s Christmas example - is that the actual dates are often open to discussion.

Now, back to Arby’s, apples and other critical topics of the day....

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3546 on: July 05, 2018, 08:05:56 AM »

The Declaration of Independence doesn’t say “we are going to fight you.”  It says “we are no longer part of you.”

Regardless the Revolutionary War started over a year earlier anyway.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3547 on: July 05, 2018, 08:18:09 AM »

The Declaration of Independence doesn’t say “we are going to fight you.”  It says “we are no longer part of you.”

Regardless the Revolutionary War started over a year earlier anyway.

You’re right - I guess I was being flippant there. Still, there was serious debate in 1776 - and over the next few years - about whether that declaration was going to matter in the end.

It’s also interesting that it wasn’t recognized as a federal holiday until 1941, so the formal decision was made over 150 years later. I wonder how people viewed it around 1785 or 1790....

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3548 on: July 05, 2018, 08:24:39 AM »
You’re right - I guess I was being flippant there. Still, there was serious debate in 1776 - and over the next few years - about whether that declaration was going to matter in the end.

It’s also interesting that it wasn’t recognized as a federal holiday until 1941, so the formal decision was made over 150 years later. I wonder how people viewed it around 1785 or 1790....

There were July 4 celebrations in the States long before it was a federal holiday. As early as the 1780s. It was made a state holiday in Massachusetts sometime during that time frame.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3549 on: July 05, 2018, 11:33:43 AM »

There were July 4 celebrations in the States long before it was a federal holiday. As early as the 1780s. It was made a state holiday in Massachusetts sometime during that time frame.

Massachusetts will make up a holiday for anything, though.

That said, Casimir Polaski day was awesome as a kid.